Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Taylormade TP5

Christof

18 hours ago, Christof said:

The test was actually quite simple, I had several balls, like Prov1 and chorme soft/ AD33/Z-star/Wilson/Inesis, some 20 different brands and some different models, the test was done on practical putting green at the club, I started putting at 1meter so by 6meter I had already made a selection, I did further low and high chips from 10-15meter on practical chipping grounds. Didn't test with a launch monitor, more by feel and distance and the TP5 always gave the best result. You reaction read every putter/model has different material and will give a different contact. I have been playing golf for less than 2 years and was wondering how the TP5 gave me the best result.

I am going to look at the MGS site and ball lab and take some time to understand it better.

Thank you for the response.
Christof

you do you. whatever feels best, whatever inspires confidence. i’ve been playing 2018 v1x’s for a while now and the tp5 feels like wet toilet paper to me, while a 4 hdc friend of mine swears by them and the ricky fowler graphics. 

i will say, for me personally, i use a 303 stainless steel no groove putter, and I can hear and feel the difference between a putt on the sweetspot and a putt that isn’t. i rely on that feedback and I don’t get it from mushy golf balls. That’s just my opinion though, many people love their balls nice and soft.

D       ______ Ping G400
F{3|15} ______ Cobra King F9
X{3|19} ______ Ping G425 Hybrid 
I{5|24} {6|27} {7|31} {8|35} {9|40} Callaway Apex CF16

W{45|50} _____ Vokey SM8
W{54|58} _____ Vokey SM9
P ____________ L.A.B. DF 2.1 w/ Stability

9 hours ago, tdroma98 said:

Christof, I would say Yes to your question of feel with a different putter & especially in chipping. Just look at the "controversy" or at least the discussion when pro's play team events, such as Alternate Shot. Aside from pro's having ball contracts, some have stated the feel of the ball is different.  Personally, I can tell the difference with a ball, when putting with a Scotty vs a 2 Ball & the feel of a ball when chipping.  ProV1 & V1x have a very good feel when Putting, the feel is softer with a 2 Ball, feels good with Scotty Cameron as does both the TP5 balls.  I will not use a Callaway Supersoft, don't like the feel off the putter (either Scotty or 2 ball) & chipping ball, it's too hot. Even the AVX has a different feel off the putters & wedges when chipping. One ball I found of late to be favorable is Tour Response ball. While the feel is firmer than ProV & TP, Tour Response has a good feel to me, but can tell the difference. 

Hello tdroma98

Is clear about the feeling when putting and chipping. I have tested the PROV1 Prov1X AVX NTX Velocity Trufeel DT SOLO and DT Trusoft all and the PRoV1 gave me the best feel and result along with the AVX/NXT, the callaway Chrome Soft Supersoft Warbird Diablo HX Diablo Tour Big Bertha and HOT ok all tested, the Chrome Soft gave me the best feel and the Diablo HX Diablo Tour Big Bertha were ok too, I don't like the soft or very soft balls and the distance balls either, you just don't have any feel in them. There is a difference in ball flight, spinning and rolling the ball when chipping, I found the TP5 much higher and stopped rolling faster than chrome soft and Prov1 and there was a difference in sound and feel. The Tour Response I am going to remember and is a few € cheaper than the TP5. I have enough balls at the moment.

Thanks for the reaction
Christof

:taylormade-small:Redline Monte Carlo, Face Balanced, Grip:garsen: max

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

:wilson_staff_small: D9: 5 en PW; KBS Max Ultralight steel

:taylormade-small: Stealth F.W.7 21° and F.W.3 15° ventus red 5 regular

:taylormade-small: TP5: :vice: Pro plus

Garmin: Vivoactive 4

:nike-small: Air max 90

19 hours ago, cnosil said:

From a putting perspective other than a personal opinion all balls should perform pretty much the same when using the same putter.  

I'm not sure this is true. I experimented for quite a while with the Titleist Velocity Ball and it seemed to putt out quite a bit farther than The ProV1 and other balls. I didn't have a robot to putt them so there's obviously error in my tests. But I believe that if you are a person struggling to get the ball to the hole, you may want to try the Velocity as it definitely "seems" to roll farther with the same amount of "umph". 

I got a bag full of Cobras.... Well, not the putter... yet.

26 minutes ago, Chester3488 said:

I'm not sure this is true. I experimented for quite a while with the Titleist Velocity Ball and it seemed to putt out quite a bit farther than The ProV1 and other balls. I didn't have a robot to putt them so there's obviously error in my tests. But I believe that if you are a person struggling to get the ball to the hole, you may want to try the Velocity as it definitely "seems" to roll farther with the same amount of "umph". 

While not the best device for testing ball speed, I have tested multiple balls using my ExPutt and given the same stroke, ball speed is the same within fractions of a MPH.   The distances I get on the ExPutt align with what I see on the course so I believe it is fairly accurate.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 hour ago, Christof said:

Is clear about the feeling when putting and chipping. I have tested the PROV1 Prov1X AVX NTX Velocity Trufeel DT SOLO and DT Trusoft all and the PRoV1 gave me the best feel and result along with the AVX/NXT, the callaway Chrome Soft Supersoft Warbird Diablo HX Diablo Tour Big Bertha and HOT ok all tested, the Chrome Soft gave me the best feel and the Diablo HX Diablo Tour Big Bertha were ok too, I don't like the soft or very soft balls and the distance balls either, you just don't have any feel in them. There is a difference in ball flight, spinning and rolling the ball when chipping, I found the TP5 much higher and stopped rolling faster than chrome soft and Prov1 and there was a difference in sound and feel. The Tour Response I am going to remember and is a few € cheaper than the TP5. I have enough balls at the moment.

Thanks for the reaction
Christof

What is your top five criteria for selecting a ball?  You seem obsessed with feel which, in my opinion, should be low on your list.  I see very little discussion on performance which should be near the top.  cost seems to be an important factor due to the number you lose.   Things like soft and feel are subjective and is generally tied to sound which is influenced by the construction of the club itself meaning If you were to hit the same ball with different clubs they would sound and feel different.   

Start a list of you criteria and then find what fits into those categories.  You will probably have to make compromises since the TP5 is a higher spinning performance ball in the higher price bracket.  If price is a big concern, you will probably have to sacrifice green side performance.  If available in Europe, Kirkland is probably your best alternative.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One thing I would add in to your testing is to try putting and chipping while wearing headphones. So much of 'feel' on these soft shots is actually sound that your brain equates to feel. By putting and chipping with different balls when you can't hear them, you'll get a better sense of performance for the golf ball. For a cheaper option, I think you'll find the Taylormade Tour Response or Vice Pro Soft to be really excellent choices at a better price point. 

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

3 hours ago, ryan.mzzz said:

you do you. whatever feels best, whatever inspires confidence. i’ve been playing 2018 v1x’s for a while now and the tp5 feels like wet toilet paper to me, while a 4 hdc friend of mine swears by them and the ricky fowler graphics. 

i will say, for me personally, i use a 303 stainless steel no groove putter, and I can hear and feel the difference between a putt on the sweetspot and a putt that isn’t. i rely on that feedback and I don’t get it from mushy golf balls. That’s just my opinion though, many people love their balls nice and soft.

hey ryan.mzzz

the ricky fowler graphics are not necessary for me now, is something nice, I don't know that it has any added value. Callaway also has son balls with drawings I have 1 of the chrome soft, for me it has no added value. In my opinion and the result of those very soft balls and those distance balls, does not work for me usually it is too hard or short, exactly no feeling, in my words describe. I really liked toilet paper. For example, you can read from the reviews that many have their personal preference which gives them the best feeling.

Thank you for the response
Christof

:cleveland-small: RTX5 58°/06°, RTX6° 54° low+8° and 48°/10°Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue Wedge Flex

3 hours ago, Chester3488 said:

Hey Chester 3488

Then how come I always laugh the shortest at hole with the TP5, the softer or hard models was usually always too far sometimes too short. the chorme soft and prov1 were also very good. If I put 15 balls over different distances and took the TP5 was always the best result. I think it's very strange myself, I don't know much about it, so I'm early on the forum. You say all balls should perform about the same when using the same putter, I saw that too but the TP5 stood out.

thanks
Christof

3 hours ago, GregGarner said:

One thing I would add in to your testing is to try putting and chipping while wearing headphones. So much of 'feel' on these soft shots is actually sound that your brain equates to feel. By putting and chipping with different balls when you can't hear them, you'll get a better sense of performance for the golf ball. For a cheaper option, I think you'll find the Taylormade Tour Response or Vice Pro Soft to be really excellent choices at a better price point. 

Hey Gregarner

I started out with an MP3 player and the TP5 came out best together with the chrome soft prov1, I didn't do all the balls, sometimes it was annoying with an mp3 player, people coming and saying something from a distance; I just stopped or with 1 earpiece in, I continued with the one that came closest to the TP5 in feeling and sound, I have more than 100 balls and made a selection, I had to keep myself busy for another 4 weeks, now only 4 weeks on crutches, then I will be able to putt, making a golf swing will not be possible immediately, on 05. 08.22 R - hip arthroscopy and maybe not until 05.11.22 back to work. I bought a 3 meter mat from pure2improve and putt trainers from Puttout for home, then I will do the test with headphones, it is different than an mp3 player or put the music from the laptop very loud. Tour Response have told me still good alternative is, I do not have the Vice Pro Soft but the VicePRO and the kirkland signature + and say almost the same as a TP5 but I find kirkland much softer than a TP5. the AD333 is also good alternative I am told.

Thank you for the good response
Christof

Golfmat en traings maetriaal .jpg

1 hour ago, Christof said:

Hey Chester 3488

Then how come I always laugh the shortest at hole with the TP5, the softer or hard models was usually always too far sometimes too short. the chorme soft and prov1 were also very good. If I put 15 balls over different distances and took the TP5 was always the best result. I think it's very strange myself, I don't know much about it, so I'm early on the forum. You say all balls should perform about the same when using the same putter, I saw that too but the TP5 stood out.

thanks
Christof

Hi Christof,

I'm not saying that. What I am trying to say is some balls roll farther when struck by the same putter. Example Titleist Velocity. 

4 hours ago, cnosil said:

While not the best device for testing ball speed, I have tested multiple balls using my ExPutt and given the same stroke, ball speed is the same within fractions of a MPH.   The distances I get on the ExPutt align with what I see on the course so I believe it is fairly accurate.   

Again, I have no "real" way of knowing. But it sure does "seem" like the Velocity ball comes off the putter face with more.... velocity... see what I did there? 

Once more, I have no scientific way of proving this. 

50 minutes ago, Chester3488 said:

Again, I have no "real" way of knowing. But it sure does "seem" like the Velocity ball comes off the putter face with more.... velocity... see what I did there? 

... After working with many students, I really believe putting is 99% mental. Having a positive attitude and putting with confidence is much more important than any ball, putter or even technique. The last thing any player should want is doubt when it comes to any elements of putting and that includes the ball. If you think you putt better with one ball over another or one rolls out more or less than an other or the feel produces a better putt, then reality is irrelevant. Always go with what you think helps you make more putts. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

What is your top five criteria for selecting a ball?  You seem obsessed with feel which, in my opinion, should be low on your list.  I see very little discussion on performance which should be near the top.  cost seems to be an important factor due to the number you lose.   Things like soft and feel are subjective and is generally tied to sound which is influenced by the construction of the club itself meaning If you were to hit the same ball with different clubs they would sound and feel different.   

Start a list of you criteria and then find what fits into those categories.  You will probably have to make compromises since the TP5 is a higher spinning performance ball in the higher price bracket.  If price is a big concern, you will probably have to sacrifice green side performance.  If available in Europe, Kirkland is probably your best alternative.  

do a lot by feeling, I also trained other sports or competed by feeling, waiting and choosing the moment, is that feeling, and why that has let me down the least, I am also someone who is sensitive and emotional, maybe I'm doing too much by feel, that's probably why it comes back so often. Ball performance, I've experienced with balls like distance that roll way too far and hard is no feel in it, the very soft ones are always disappointing around the green and I have regular slices, I don't see those balls anymore back ,would like a ball is quick stops on the green, I really like the short game, the short game suits me better than the swing, I have no problem with height and distance, sometimes the direction but that's the golfer think. When I fitted the T.M fairway 7 I had 190km/h ball speed with the iron 7 ball speed 165km/h and 131km/h club speed, I don't know if that matters and that was with a TP5 and it always felt good. With putting and chipping good results with achieved that gives a good feeling then the TP5 is the number 1 for me. Price is important I have a day job from 8 am to 4 pm I don't have a mega wage when I see the cars at the club than I do with an Opel corsa of 15 years old or a Citroen Berlingo of 8 years old is sometimes a strange picture. I don't have a car myself. I was doing well until the hip no longer wanted to go, on 13 holes I did not lose any or max 2 balls, on 18 holes I still max 4 balls, in the past it had been different. This year the hip problems started and my swing didn't finish anymore it was actually lost then the balls went through, I knew already at the beginning of the season I had to have surgery and had hoped to last until the surgery, that didn't work out always had pain in the right groin and lower back then I walked around there limping after 4 holes and then the fun was over. As mentioned before, I still have 4 weeks to keep myself busy and did a putting and chipping test myself and only putting in the last 2 weeks, chipping was too much. If I've explained it well and you understand I could have continued to play until the surgery then I probably would never have done a ball test, I have 100 balls at home and thought I'll deal with that. I figured as long as I don't have a HC less than 20 I'm not going to play with a permanent brand. Starting the season well and always playing with different balls I did not find it pleasant and every ball reacts differently, just made it more difficult. That's why I did the ball test. Now I have a lot of time, for after the crutches period I bought a putting mat and putting trainers that will keep me busy for a while. I bought a set of kirkland performance+ lakaeballs as the vice pro was and mix has also been a topic on the golf and the internet, see what that brings. I hope you understand, try to explain as much as possible, sorry for the long text my english will not always be good and the sentence structure, I need a translator, speaking is fine but typing that is something different.

Sporting Greetings
Christof

Golfmat en traings maetriaal .jpg

2 hours ago, Chester3488 said:

Hi Christof,

I'm not saying that. What I am trying to say is some balls roll farther when struck by the same putter. Example Titleist Velocity. 

Ok yes I understand, must have mistranslated and read it.
Christof

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... After working with many students, I really believe putting is 99% mental. Having a positive attitude and putting with confidence is much more important than any ball, putter or even technique. The last thing any player should want is doubt when it comes to any elements of putting and that includes the ball. If you think you putt better with one ball over another or one rolls out more or less than an other or the feel produces a better putt, then reality is irrelevant. Always go with what you think helps you make more putts. 

I have more stress making a 1 meter put than a 3 meter put 😀

23 minutes ago, Christof said:

I don't know if that matters and that was with a TP5 and it always felt good. With putting and chipping good results with achieved that gives a good feeling then the TP5 is the number 1 for me. Price is important I

You are in a mindset that that the TP5 is the ball for you.   Either you will have to pay the price for the ball, purchase TP5 practice balls (which are cheaper but not always available), or accept how a different ball feels and performs.  

38 minutes ago, cnosil said:

You are in a mindset that that the TP5 is the ball for you.   Either you will have to pay the price for the ball, purchase TP5 practice balls (which are cheaper but not always available), or accept how a different ball feels and performs.  

I have not come across the TP5 practice balls yet, only the PROv1 and Prov1x practice balls I have at home each 1 ball. I'm going to go for option 2 and find a cheaper ball that suits me, If maybe ever my HC is low enough with a TP5 ball, if the cheaper model gives me good results, why change. I won't be PRO anyway, maybe in a few years' time I will be club champion and win a match at the home club and that's all there is to it. Why spend a lot of money on a ball if it doesn't yield or makes little or no difference to the more expensive balls. As you say, every athlete has to choose for themselves. Alone and annoying situation with the hip.

Thanks
Christof

1 minute ago, Christof said:

I have not come across the TP5 practice balls yet, only the PROv1 and Prov1x practice balls I have at home each 1 ball. I'm going to go for option 2 and find a cheaper ball that suits me, If maybe ever my HC is low enough with a TP5 ball, if the cheaper model gives me good results, why change. I won't be PRO anyway, maybe in a few years' time I will be club champion and win a match at the home club and that's all there is to it. Why spend a lot of money on a ball if it doesn't yield or makes little or no difference to the more expensive balls. As you say, every athlete has to choose for themselves. Alone and annoying situation with the hip.

Thanks
Christof

Other than with putting and chipping have you tested balls with long and short irons as well as driver and possibly  fairway wood and hybrid?

While feel/sound isn’t a bad thing to base ball choice on the rest of the game has to be considered too. When I did my titleist ball fitting the choice came down to what I wanted to feel on the green, but that was after considering what I wanted/needed from the tee up to the green. Performance has to be there in all aspects of the game including as mentioned before distance control with putts.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

35 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Other than with putting and chipping have you tested balls with long and short irons as well as driver and possibly  fairway wood and hybrid?

While feel/sound isn’t a bad thing to base ball choice on the rest of the game has to be considered too. When I did my titleist ball fitting the choice came down to what I wanted to feel on the green, but that was after considering what I wanted/needed from the tee up to the green. Performance has to be there in all aspects of the game including as mentioned before distance control with putts.

No I only have the Ping putter and Wison 54° wedge and 8 iron for chips/bump and run. Before the operation on 05.08.22 the last 2 weeks only putting and chipping, 2 weeks before still chipping and putting, the hip didn't want to anymore with every swing I had pains in R-groin and lower back and I walk around limping. I haven't done a golf swing since July. I have 100 golf balls and thought I'm going to test them all, I know what to do in the coming weeks before the operation. Where I have fitted/tested the Fairway and irons, they also had the TP5 and always gave me a good feeling. I don't have a problem with distance and height, the more with straight shots is because I don't finish my swing, I have already seen that there is also a lot of difference with what kind of ball you play that ball spins harder than others.
The course tests whether the long shots/full swing and pitching will be after November think, Maybe October will depend on how I recover.

Greetings
Christof

I think the only way to test golf balls would be to have unbranded versions. I always feel like I perform better on the greens using ball x. What I was surprised about was you seem to care less about the putter and more about the ball when I had to test a lot of putters to find the one that gives me the best results for whatever ball I'm using that day. I found I putt so much better with the Odyssey Marksman putter gave me much better results the most others I tried. It gives me a pretty big boost in confidence that seems to outweigh what ball I choose. But maybe I should look into this.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 project x LZ 60 6.0 handcrafted shaft

CallawayEpic Flash 3 wood

Callaway Big Bertha 3H

Titleist 818H2 4H

Callaway Big Bertha 19' irons 4-AW

Titleist SM7 Jet black with TT onyx black s400 shaft 50°

Callaway MD4 black 54° sand wedge

Callaway PM19 60° tour grey

Odyssey Toulon San Diego putter

1592935174442966599406225697326.jpg

Putting is such a feel/ on the day thing, I think it would be down to how the different putter feels as opposed to the ball. At least testing with the same ball will give you a baseline to compare putters. 

I do like/use the TP5's but off the putter I can't tell between them and pro v1's or AVX's

Callaway Maverik 9 (@ 10 ) Driver or TaylorMade BRNR at 11.5

Callaway GBB epic  3W, 5W

Callaway DCB 4-AW (+1" and 2 up)

Titleist Vokey SM8 50-08, 58-08

Odyssey Stroke Lab double wide

Tailormade TP5x, or Prov1's

10 hours ago, Mark0709 said:

I think the only way to test golf balls would be to have unbranded versions. I always feel like I perform better on the greens using ball x. What I was surprised about was you seem to care less about the putter and more about the ball when I had to test a lot of putters to find the one that gives me the best results for whatever ball I'm using that day. I found I putt so much better with the Odyssey Marksman putter gave me much better results the most others I tried. It gives me a pretty big boost in confidence that seems to outweigh what ball I choose. But maybe I should look into this.

Hello Mark0709
I have tested many different balls from 15 brands and different models, always with the same putter. yes let me know when you find out.

Christof

2 hours ago, Jason Costain said:

Putting is such a feel/ on the day thing, I think it would be down to how the different putter feels as opposed to the ball. At least testing with the same ball will give you a baseline to compare putters. 

I do like/use the TP5's but off the putter I can't tell between them and pro v1's or AVX's

Hello J Costain

I only have one putter and I am happy with it, I am not going to buy another putter to test balls on, I don't have the budget for that either, I don't think it adds value at my level at the moment.

I do hear a distinct difference and contact with the putter with the TP5 and Titleist balls. Maybe I am very sensitive to sound and feel.

Sporting Greetings
Christof