Testers Wanted: CaddyDaddy The Claw Golf Gloves ×

Shaft Hack - The Otto Phlex Journey

azstu324

Just epoxied my PLB in L flex... won't be able to try it out until Wednesday and can't wait!  Cut to 45.5" and my dry fit showed approx D2 sw.  If it's too heavy, I'll take another half inch off...IMG_20221028_231223.jpg.9a7f20214b384bd7d9bb1bd6389b704e.jpg

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash, 9degree, Stock Green EvenFlow 45g, 5.0

3w: Callaway Epic Flash, 15degree, Stock Green EvenFlow, R

(Hobbyist; work on my own clubs for fun:)

3h, 4h, 5h: Maltby M890 (Maltby Pro Series Hybrid shaft, R)

Maltby KE4 Tour+, 6 - Gw (Kuro Kage Black 2nd Gen, A flex) 

54*w, 58*w: Maltby TSW (Maltby Pro Series S...using the "spinner shaft" hack, lol)

Maltby Pure-Track Tour Milled Putter, 35", plus 2' loft

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

6 hours ago, Gripit said:

Just epoxied my PLB in L flex... won't be able to try it out until Wednesday and can't wait!  Cut to 45.5" and my dry fit showed approx D2 sw.  If it's too heavy, I'll take another half inch off...IMG_20221028_231223.jpg.9a7f20214b384bd7d9bb1bd6389b704e.jpg

Enjoy!

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Ping G430 SFT 3 wood and Ping G430 HL 7 wood SR flex

Ping G430 4,5,6,7 hybrids  SR flex

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 8,9,P,G, SW irons   A Flex

Cleveland Smart Sole S wedge  A Flex

Cobra Nova putter

I'm selling the PLB I bought at Dallas Golf last week.   It's not working for me as well as the Atmos senior flex I bought first.    I've hit 40 or 50 drives with it. The tip is TaylorMade and the grip is Dri-Tac.  All in it cost me about $85.    I'll sell it for $60 to someone here in the Dallas area.  

Lemme know. 

Got the 7 iron almost ready to go so I'll be able to take it with me for my round tomorrow.  Hoping the hybrid shafts arrive yet this afternoon which would allow me to take both along for tomorrow.  Here's hoping.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

48 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Got the 7 iron almost ready to go so I'll be able to take it with me for my round tomorrow.  Hoping the hybrid shafts arrive yet this afternoon which would allow me to take both along for tomorrow.  Here's hoping.

7 iron is done and I made it D0 exactly.  Came in at 37 1/2" in length which is, similar to the driver shaft builds, 1/2 " longer than most 7 irons.

And, thank you FedEx, I've got the hybrid shaft curing as I write this so I'll have a hybrid to test tomorrow as well.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

Ok, I removed the sliding weight from the back of the TSR3 and weighed it... just shy of 8 grams.  I cut some lead tape to 4g length, and applied in the same H1 location the sliding weight was positioned.  So the net change is a 4g reduction in the head... which should give me 2 swing weights (moving it from D2 to D0).  Have a round planned tomorrow and will be putting it into play... results to follow 😉  4 grams doesn't feel like a lot.. but at the end of a 46" shaft, I guess it makes a difference. 

Worst case scenario... I hate the adjustment and put the sliding weight back in.  

I did check my TSi3 head, and the sliding weight in that is the same (though just a little lighter... 7.75 grams - actually surprised at the variance... I would think that when dialing in weight, it should be spot on... but then... maybe that is why one driver feels awesome and another just doesn't have the same feel even though the specs are supposed to be the same. )

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Bobbers said:

7 iron is done and I made it D0 exactly.  Came in at 37 1/2" in length which is, similar to the driver shaft builds, 1/2 " longer than most 7 irons.

And, thank you FedEx, I've got the hybrid shaft curing as I write this so I'll have a hybrid to test tomorrow as well.

I am VERY interested in the results from the iron test Bobbers.  Based on the way the Driver "syncs" to my swing... I have to believe I would find equal or more improvement with my iron game... 

I'm even considering finding a cheap used set of Women's irons to test out... though I think Women's sets are an inch shorter than Men's standard length.. 

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

9 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

I am VERY interested in the results from the iron test Bobbers.  Based on the way the Driver "syncs" to my swing... I have to believe I would find equal or more improvement with my iron game... 

I'm even considering finding a cheap used set of Women's irons to test out... though I think Women's sets are an inch shorter than Men's standard length.. 

They are...BUT...they generally come in at a much lighter swing weight so you'd actually have to lengthen somewhere between 1/2" and 1" to get to the D0-D1 target.  Let's see what I can learn tomorrow. 

I ended up 1/2 inch LONGER using the Mavrik Max women's "lite" head on a ProLite L flex iron shaft with a standard grip. 

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

So I bite the bullet and bought a  Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara W Series 40 shaft yesterday, it's got a Titleist adapter and 44inches long but will take awhile to get to NZ. I wonder what the playing length will be once fitted into one of my Titleist heads, 913 917 TS2, can anyone enlighten me?

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

15 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

So I bite the bullet and bought a  Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara W Series 40 shaft yesterday, it's got a Titleist adapter and 44inches long but will take awhile to get to NZ. I wonder what the playing length will be once fitted into one of my Titleist heads, 913 917 TS2, can anyone enlighten me?

When installed the driver length will be 45"

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

7 hours ago, cnosil said:

When installed the driver length will be 45"

Thanks for that, I double checked the info on this shaft and it's 43inch I got mixed up with the lengths of 2 shafts I looked at. Is 43 inch std for women's shafts and could I extend, I should of been paying attention so guess I've wasted a $100...

I’m a hacker who loves nothing more than to change how I play, be that grips shafts and heads its all fair game lol…

51 minutes ago, Bang60 said:

Thanks for that, I double checked the info on this shaft and it's 43inch I got mixed up with the lengths of 2 shafts I looked at. Is 43 inch std for women's shafts and could I extend, I should of been paying attention so guess I've wasted a $100...

You'd simply epoxy an extension into the butt of the shaft after cutting off the grip.  Which you'll want to do, it's an undersize grip and probably in need of replacement anyway.  You'll want the "oversize" extension which has a thicker insertion into the shaft butt as this is going to be a pretty thin walled shaft.

After the epoxy cures install the shaft in your Titleist head, measure to 45 3/4 inches length and then regrip which will give you a 46 inch driver.

You should be fine.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

If anyone happens to have a PXG driver regular flex Riptide CB, or possibly any regular flex shaft, and would like to try the senior flex Riptide CB I am open to trading shafts, and will pay for shipping both ways.  I am getting along pretty well with the senior flex in the driver, but have to have a real smooth swing.  I ordered the 7W at the same time with the R flex Rip CB and absolutely love that combo.  Has just enough stability when I crank the head down -1.5 degrees that it is long and straight enough to be my only fairway wood in the bag. (I have never been one that tried to reach Par 5s from longer than 230). I will take the straight and easy 200-220 I get from this 7W all day long on the courses I play. I still try the senior PLB at some point, but want an every day "stable" shaft I trust that I can switch in and out.    

8 hours ago, Bobbers said:

You'd simply epoxy an extension into the butt of the shaft after cutting off the grip.  Which you'll want to do, it's an undersize grip and probably in need of replacement anyway.  You'll want the "oversize" extension which has a thicker insertion into the shaft butt as this is going to be a pretty thin walled shaft.

After the epoxy cures install the shaft in your Titleist head, measure to 45 3/4 inches length and then regrip which will give you a 46 inch driver.

You should be fine.

Thanks @Bobbers, I'll try it out and hope it works for me....

3 hours ago, Mhudson111 said:

Anyone have any hands on experience comparing the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45g A and L models against each other? Thanks!

I bought both A and L, but have only tested the A once. Wanted to see if I could go with a longer shaft so haven't cut down the L yet. I blow the grip on and off so that's the easy bit, but it is a little hard to get the SW correct as I only have one original weight for my SIM2 head, and want to change back to original shaft for testing. I will let you guys know when I get there.

3 hours ago, peakation said:

I bought both A and L, but have only tested the A once. Wanted to see if I could go with a longer shaft so haven't cut down the L yet. I blow the grip on and off so that's the easy bit, but it is a little hard to get the SW correct as I only have one original weight for my SIM2 head, and want to change back to original shaft for testing. I will let you guys know when I get there.

Just ordered a set of front and back weights for the SIM2 head from ebay. Will make the tuning easier!

Playing around with this formula in excel I found that I need around 1.5 mph faster CHS with the 16g lighter head to get the same Ball Speed (as 100 mph CHS with 200g club head weight).

image.png.3702c9d06d11489119daee77f6e3ad8e.png

For every 10g lighter CH you lose 1.449 mph BS at 100 CHS

For every 10g lighter CH you lose 1.593 mph BS at 110 CHS.

Club head weight matters!

4 hours ago, Mhudson111 said:

Anyone have any hands on experience comparing the Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45g A and L models against each other? Thanks!

What shaft and flex is in your driver currently?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

On 10/30/2022 at 11:00 AM, PACK7483 said:

If anyone happens to have a PXG driver regular flex Riptide CB, or possibly any regular flex shaft, and would like to try the senior flex Riptide CB I am open to trading shafts, and will pay for shipping both ways.

@PACK7483 - do have these other shafts if any interest:

PX EvenFlow Blue (not Riptide, not CB) 65g/5.5 flex

Kuro Kage Black TiNi 60g/R *SHORTENED* -2"

..both are in very good condition and have Callaway adapter tips and CP2 grips.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H .. Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

9 hours ago, peakation said:

Playing around with this formula in excel I found that I need around 1.5 mph faster CHS with the 16g lighter head to get the same Ball Speed (as 100 mph CHS with 200g club head weight).

image.png.3702c9d06d11489119daee77f6e3ad8e.png

For every 10g lighter CH you lose 1.449 mph BS at 100 CHS

For every 10g lighter CH you lose 1.593 mph BS at 110 CHS.

Club head weight matters!

This is interesting and relevant to me because..... as I mentioned earlier in the post, I was targeting the D-0 swing weight by removing 4g of clubhead weight (by removing the 8g weight and adding 4g of lead tape).  I went out tonight and played a few holes, and by the 4th driver hole, I noticed that I had lost the lead tape somewhere... so I was a full 8g lighter, and I estimate a C-8 swingweight.  I hit some good drives, but I felt like I was a bit shorter than I had been experiencing previously.  I did have one drive that measured 276, but the 5 others were all less than 255.  I am going to replace the 8g weight for my next outing.  However... with the minus 8g driver... I my consistency was pretty good.  This was the hole that I discovered the lead tape was gone, then hit three drives....

20221031_164200.jpg

perfect triangle - paced 4 yards between each ball - dead middle of the fairway at 247/251/251

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, Bobbers said:

What shaft and flex is in your driver currently?

Currently have the 45g A flex at 45.5” @ D1 in my SIM as the experiment.

Was playing a Diamana S+ 65g X flex at 44.25” usually 

Sim 10.5* w/Diamana S+ X
M6 3W and 5W Evenflow Riptide
Z785 5-PW w/Modus 105X  
Vokey 50/54/58 Modus wedge flex

Spider Tour black

20 minutes ago, Mhudson111 said:

Currently have the 45g A flex at 45.5” @ D1 in my SIM as the experiment.

Was playing a Diamana S+ 65g X flex at 44.25” usually 

Your results are going to be fascinating.  I say that because most people playing with the concept are dropping two flexes from their current shaft; you're dropping three.  Of course there are slow swing speed guys such as yours truly who were already at the A flex who are only able, practically speaking, to drop one flex, to L.

I, as many others, will be very interested in what you experience, please keep us posted, ok?

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

FYI - just read about the "Brava" shaft from BGT .. who claim in their testing to be +10 yds longer vs AutoFlex and with tighter dispersion....

Review:

https://pluggedingolf.com/breakthrough-golf-brava-shaft-review/

BGT product page:

https://breakthroughgolftech.com/brava/

Putter...Ev
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

followthrough.jpg

12 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

FYI - just read about the "Brava" shaft from BGT .. who claim in their testing to be +10 yds longer vs AutoFlex and with tighter dispersion....

Review:

https://pluggedingolf.com/breakthrough-golf-brava-shaft-review/

BGT product page:

https://breakthroughgolftech.com/brava/

But that's another $300...or more.

Ping G430 Max 10.5*

Cobra Nova putter

15 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

But that's another $300...or more.

yep was just an fyi.... Listed @ $399..!

Putter...Ev

followthrough.jpg

55 minutes ago, Bobbers said:

Your results are going to be fascinating.  I say that because most people playing with the concept are dropping two flexes from their current shaft; you're dropping three.  Of course there are slow swing speed guys such as yours truly who were already at the A flex who are only able, practically speaking, to drop one flex, to L.

I, as many others, will be very interested in what you experience, please keep us posted, ok?

I guess technically I'm a 3-flex'r. So far after playing the A flex for about a month or so, I don't feel like it's too soft given how dang stable it is.

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

39 minutes ago, azstu324 said:

I guess technically I'm a 3-flex'r. So far after playing the A flex for about a month or so, I don't feel like it's too soft given how dang stable it is.

If there was another flex down from the "L" ... I would try it!

• Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

8 minutes ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

If there was another flex down from the "L" ... I would try it!

I found something you might wanna try.. 🤣

image.png.a93e9097209c4f7e0f32e0b317152043.png

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

So I dont have any numbers or anything bc I put this driver together with an A flex shaft Project X LZ driver shaft hit it twice in my garage set up but didn't turn on my skytrak bc I had to run, also didn't get a chance to weigh it or anything .. got asked to play at my buddies club sunday morning .. threw my old shaft in my car just in case but was going to try out the A flex on the range ... was hitting them really well the big miss was a hook that wasn't terrible would put me in the rough so I rolled the diced and gamed it right away ... I played pretty well other then putting ( those greens give me nightmares I think its in my head but pretty sure 3 putted mostly every hole. .. but I was hitting it really well my buddy commented like damn you are driving it like a 2 handi cap ! .. so for the first run it worked out really well .. I felt like I was swinging really easy and the ball would hit a high draw .. I want to explore more and get side by side numbers bc maybe I just had a really good driving day or maybe the shaft really made the difference but I am really excited to see how this goes. 

:cobra-small: Speedzone Driver Tensei AV Blue or  :ping-small: G400 SFT 10. KBS TD 50 Category 3 shaft 

:cobra-small: King Speedzone Black Yellow Fairway 3 wood Tensei AV Blue 65 

:cobra-small: F9 SpeedBack Black Grey Fairway 5 Wood   :Fuji: ATMOS Tour Spec Blue 7 shaft

:titelist-small: T300 4i-GW - Tensei AV Blue AM2 Regular Flex  or :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Hot Metal 5 - GW Project X Lz 4.5 Regular Flex Graphite 

:ping-small:   Glide 2.0 SS Wedges 54 & 58 

:taylormade-small: TP Red White Ardmore Putter - BGT Stability Tour Black shaft 

:918457628_PrecisionPro:Precision Pro NX7 range finder 

:cobra-small: Ultralight Cart Bag