Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cart Bag or Staff/Larger Stand Bag?

Golf2Much

I've had a Cleveland cart bag for several years.   Lately I've noticed that a couple of dividers are frayed and have come detached from the bottom.  As a result, they pull out of the bag when I take a club out.  So, it's time to think about something new!

I basically play at least three times a week at my home course that basically requires golfers to take carts.   I do spend a couple hours a week practicing my short game and putting.  During those sessions I drag the bigger bag to the appropriate area and lay it down on the grass when not in use.  The Cleveland cart bag was nice because of the numerous pockets, a separate putter tube to use when playing and 15 (now some number less) dividers.   I do have a smaller 25+ year old Jones carry bag that I use when I travel with clubs.   It's smaller, takes up less space when I drive and fits in my 20+ year old Club Glove travel bag when I fly.

I'd like to tap the collective genius of this forum to help me answer this question:  Am I better off with another cart bag or should I look at a larger, staff-like stand bag that would work on a cart?   I'd love bag suggestions you may have as well.

Thank you in advance.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I'd stay with a cart bag. The new Callaway bags that are launching are apparently a vast upgrade to their current selection.

Also, Bag Boy has a new bag coming out that by all accounts will the best bag that's been released, not just by them, but pretty much anyone.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Depends on how much stuff you carry. By most standards I do not carry much stuff. I had been using my older Jones bag forever which works well. As far as user friendly my Titleist Mini Staff works well for me too. I am not able to walk anymore. As a member I am allowed to take a cart to the range. I just switched back to the Mini Staff last week just because I wanted to switch. It is not really that heavy since I do not carry much stuff. My Jones is old and getting worn and the mini staff was one of two I had and has not been used much. I figured I would use it for a while. As far as outright cart bags and this is just me I think they are ugly. LOL what is funny is even if I use my old real leather Burton Staff bag it is lighter than most cart bags because I do not carry 100 balls and a fifth of liquor in it. But to each his own just IMHO FWIW

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

It depends on how much gear you stuff your bag with.  I have a Ping Hoofer stand bag and I think it is the best bag on the market.  The cart strap channel does a great job keeping it secure on carts while still allowing access to all of the pockets, of which there is plenty of room for everything I need in my bag.  But if you need more storage space I'd go with a cart specific bag rather than a staff bag for the functionality.  

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- PXG Battle Ready Mustang 
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

Big thing to think about is if you practice or go to the range a lot?  Because cart and even staff bags fall over quite easily.  I  had a cart bag for about a year and switched my clubs out to a stand bag every time I wanted to go practice.

I finally ditched the cart bag for a larger stand bag that works really well on a cart/push cart.  Don't think I can ever go back to a bag that doesn't have a stand.

I have 3 bags. 2 cart and a stand bag. 

I use the stand bag a lot because courses here often go carry only depending on conditions. 

The second car bag came with the cart so it just stays in the office holding my extra clubs. 

Nice thing about bags of it taken care of they last a long time so you can always hold onto them for different situations.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

27 minutes ago, Golfspy_Lukes said:

Big thing to think about is if you practice or go to the range a lot?  Because cart and even staff bags fall over quite easily.  I  had a cart bag for about a year and switched my clubs out to a stand bag every time I wanted to go practice.

I finally ditched the cart bag for a larger stand bag that works really well on a cart/push cart.  Don't think I can ever go back to a bag that doesn't have a stand.

Living Key West, land is at a premium.   Our practice facilities are limited to 6-8 stations hitting into a 40 yard net, a four-hole putting green and a 8'x 20 two hole chipping area.  I play three times a week and try to practice my short game one day a week for about 90 minutes.  Since there's distance between the putting and chipping areas, having an easier to carry stand bag make a sense.  

cart bag for me for sure, I walk every round but have "e-wheels" to help me, I have been given some cool BCGA bags for teams I have been on but because they have stands on them they dont fit on carts very well, the older one I have I taken the "legs" off so it fits on my cart as as winter bag. 

committed to performance excellence

Because I ride a scooter to the course about every other round, I leave my clubs at the course.  I've already been involved in a hit and run accident on my scooter, ended up with a broken neck.  Having lost my ability to walk and feed myself for a few weeks makes me a little hesitant to throw my clubs on my back and take the trip down US 1 to the golf course.  Plus my wife told me several times, "you do it again and I'll divorce you!"

Given the changeable weather in the Keys, I tend to pack one or two vests or rain shirts to protect me from the elements.  Throw in an umbrella and a small umbrella that covers the bag during the rain, some sunscreen and bug spray and that's what I typically carry.  

It's my experience that having a cart bag is like having fish in a fishbowl.  The fish will grow to the space that's available.  In the cart bag's case, it will be filled up (with stuff that's appropriate or not) until you can't fit no more.  Yesterday I did my monthly purge of used and found golf balls from my bag.  There were close to sixty or more in there.  I brought them home, cleaned them up and boxed two dozen plus balls to give to friends.  

I use a staff bag as I typically use a power cart. I am looking to get a ping hoofer though

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

Thank you all for your inputs.  After careful consideration, I ended up with the bag below:

image.png.9553119f3d707b8e3673ac8950d24655.png

The Ping Pioneer did well in the MGS cart bag reviews.   Also, I felt given the excellent Ping customer service I got when they replaced my G400 LST driver with a new (until last week) G425 LST driver due to a crack, I should at least be "representing" them on the course and add to their coffers in other ways.    It arrives later this week and I'm looking forward to not having my dividers putting out of the bag with the clubs.