Tell Us Your Best Golf Story

GolfSpy SAM

16th Hole at the River Course of Kingsmill Resort in Williamsburg, VA. There were houses being built down the right side of the fairway, already a dangerous place for a, then, heavy slicer off of the tee. That said, I had been driving the ball well that day and keeping it in play so I stepped up to the tee box with confidence and obliterated a drive that promptly took a devastating "power cut" into one of these open structures. I could hear the ball rattling around inside as it hit probably every surface in that newly framed home and scared the crap out of every human being working in there. The house turned into a sort of boom box of swear words. As we were passing the house I hit into I walked inside to apologize and possibly get my ball back. I not only got my ball back also got 3 others as well. This was apparently the 4th time that had happened to that crew this week and I was the only person to come own up to it. I've played that course several times since with better results. I was fairly new to the game at the time.

"Golf is hard."

Posted (edited)

Ok totally true story , and funny we were on fairway at local course pulled up to ball there was a squirrel about 5 feet away so i say whats up squirrel you want some he looked up , so you think your tough he stood up, ok so your feeling froggy jump, he stood up puffed out his chest, my friends are on ground laughing, because he was challenging me. Still to this day we see a squirrel and they just bust out laughing.

Edited by Paul Dovishaw

On 1/27/2023 at 7:45 PM, TylorJudd said:

Well,

I have 2 stories! When I was 12 I believe, maybe 11 I was just getting into golf. I had a membership at my local course and id play everyday after school. When you come off 9, there used to be a Petro-Can gas station and we'd stop and get those "sandwiches" you throw in the microwave. So anyway I woof it down with a Slurpee and go to 10. Round the horn onto 18 tee and I have to poop like no other. 18 is a 440ish Par 4 and I'm walking the course, then another 200ish yards to the men's locker room. I played that hole with the speed of flash himself and I got to like 15' from the bathroom and start saying "ok I'm good" all to have my body release mere feet from the toilet. So I went home with no underwear, a brown spot on my shorts which found their way to the garbage, and had to tell my dad I sat in mud hahaha.

Fast forward a couple years and I'm in the practice bunker trying to get better at bunker saves. The practice green/bunker area was beside the 9th green. So here I am getting some shots out with not so much success  and my one buddy suggests I open my face a bit, so I do and I skull a rocket off the sole of the club and man I'd swear Big Pappi hit a line drive at the pitcher. I couldn't see the ball move, but I did see the elderly guy it smoked in the left temple. It dropped him like a sack of bricks, he's bleeding everywhere, and gets rushed to the hospital. I unfortunately tell everyone to clear out in front of my bunker shots to this day hahaha. That practice green is no longer there.....

Wow, those are definitely some memorable experiences on the golf course! The first story had me chuckling with your mad dash to the bathroom on the 18th hole. It's amazing how urgent nature's call can become at the most inconvenient times. And your creative excuse to your dad is classic!

As for the second story, yikes! Accidentally hitting someone with a golf ball is every golfer's nightmare. I can imagine how shaken up you must have been witnessing that. It's understandable that you'd be extra cautious on the course after an incident like that. It's fortunate that the gentleman received medical attention, though I'm sure it was a sobering moment for everyone involved.

Thanks for sharing these entertaining  tales from the fairways! It goes to show that golf is full of surprises, both good and bad.

Definitely the luckiest thing to ever happen to me while playing golf and I doubt I'll ever top this. Short par 3 (maybe 120 yards) and I completely chunk my tee shot. I then proceed to chunk my second shot and end up in a bunker right in front of the green. I'm now laying 2 and not even on the green so of course I completely blade my shot coming out of the bunker to the point where I probably would've gone 40 yards past the green or worse. Miraculously, my ball hits the flag (not the pole but the flag itself), get stuck in the flag, spins around the pin about 4 times and falls out landing about 4 inches form the hole. It's embarrassing telling the story because it probably should been an 8 on a short par 3 but it was unbelievable.

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

• 2 weeks later...

It may not be the best golf story but is currently on my mind. In September 2000 I moved to San Diego and was going to join The Farms, a course where Phil, Xander and Charlie Hoffmann all play. It’s a great Pete Dye design.  For my pre-joining round the guy that was going to sponsor me brought Grayson Murray. Grayson had lost his PGA tour card and was focused on getting back on tour. The good and tough were on display with him making 8 birdies and bombing drives. His short game was amazing. He also threw down about a dozen drinks.  However, he could not have been nicer to me, complimenting shots and saying things like, “on this hole, that shot would be in the top 25% on a given day” (tough par 3 hit to 25 feet).  I remember that day fondly and happy I took a video of his swing. Happy he found sobriety and came back and won, but sad to see his end. Definitely will pray for him. 

Callaway Paradym triple Diamond - adj to open and 8 degrees

Callaway Mavrik 3 wood

Callaway Mavrik 3 (18) and 4 (21) hybrids 

Mizuno JPX-900 irons, 1/4" long, 1 deg upright, TT stiff steel shaft

Callaway Jaws 56 SW

Cleveland RDX 50 and 60 wedges

Odyssey putter 28”

Bushnell V6 Rangefinder, Ohio Bag, Caddie Tek 4 wheel push cart

Handicap 4-5

4 hours ago, Moco said:

It may not be the best golf story but is currently on my mind. In September 2000 I moved to San Diego and was going to join The Farms, a course where Phil, Xander and Charlie Hoffmann all play. It’s a great Pete Dye design.  For my pre-joining round the guy that was going to sponsor me brought Grayson Murray. Grayson had lost his PGA tour card and was focused on getting back on tour. The good and tough were on display with him making 8 birdies and bombing drives. His short game was amazing. He also threw down about a dozen drinks.  However, he could not have been nicer to me, complimenting shots and saying things like, “on this hole, that shot would be in the top 25% on a given day” (tough par 3 hit to 25 feet).  I remember that day fondly and happy I took a video of his swing. Happy he found sobriety and came back and won, but sad to see his end. Definitely will pray for him. 

Thanks for sharing this story. 

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

6 hours ago, Moco said:

Awesome story!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

On 5/11/2024 at 12:40 AM, mncraftmod said:

Round the horn onto 18 tee and I have to poop like no other.

I've never had that happen on the golf course, but in distance running (I ran 19 marathons) it's unfortunately all too common; we called it the chocolate mile, or the runner's trots. Something about running pulls blood away from the intestines and the jostling of the stride stimulates things, and things get weird as a consequence. There are all sorts of videos of people finishing races with brown streaks running down their legs; mere running shorts can't contain it. Never had that happen in a race either, but in training runs...

As well as I could, I combated the chocolate mile by taking care of business before the run, and avoiding foods that might exacerbate things (for me it was greasy pizza). Obviously, it didn't always work. Sounds like your episode was directly related to eating those gas station sandwiches.

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

A few years ago, I went to Saint Andrews. We got there about 4:30 in the afternoon. We ask them if we could play. They said no problem just show up about five and you can sign up for a teatime. We said great. It is 430 now they said no five in the morning tomorrow! so I went up to the starter and said hey we are here to play he said do you have a time. I held out a 50 pound note he said you’re on the tee! we had just played Carnoustie and I bought a putter at Carnoustie made in the 1800s. I played Saint Andrews. On the road hole I hit the ball over the hotel, hit it on the green, and made the birdie putt with the putter that I had bought in Carnoustie!!

I hate Golf and Golf hates me. I keep playing for the feeling of the well struck shot that actually does what I want it to!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few...but, we'll start with this.

A couple of decades ago we were playing in a scramble at my home course: Three Oaks in Harlem, Ga (now defunct).  The second hole was a very short par 4 that, for most of the group was easily driveable.  To give you a clear picture, the hole bordered a cow pasture not 5 yards off to the right (OB, of course), OB behind a green some 245 yards away, and a big tree to the left of the tee box some 25 yards distant.  My friend, who is a huge hitter (but a terrible slicer) stepped up to the ball aiming left enough to safely make it to the green...or at least that was the plan.  Taking a mighty swat he hit the tree with the ball ricochetting into the pasture and hitting a cow!  The cow screamed and ran off.  After the cow ball we couldn't keep it together, every time he hit the ball thereafter we all screamed "moooo!!!!!"  We should have won the tournament, but because of the cow ball we finished last....couldn't even putt without giggling.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

12 hours ago, alii1959 said:

I have a few...but, we'll start with this.

A couple of decades ago we were playing in a scramble at my home course: Three Oaks in Harlem, Ga (now defunct).  The second hole was a very short par 4 that, for most of the group was easily driveable.  To give you a clear picture, the hole bordered a cow pasture not 5 yards off to the right (OB, of course), OB behind a green some 245 yards away, and a big tree to the left of the tee box some 25 yards distant.  My friend, who is a huge hitter (but a terrible slicer) stepped up to the ball aiming left enough to safely make it to the green...or at least that was the plan.  Taking a mighty swat he hit the tree with the ball ricochetting into the pasture and hitting a cow!  The cow screamed and ran off.  After the cow ball we couldn't keep it together, every time he hit the ball thereafter we all screamed "moooo!!!!!"  We should have won the tournament, but because of the cow ball we finished last....couldn't even putt without giggling.

Did you guys all get a free steak dinner? 😂 

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

Oh I forgot….

Another time, same course….

we had a 240yd par 3, which was a 3 wood for me at the time.  Guess I had eaten my Wheaties that morning.  I took a mighty swipe and the ball rocketed away.  Headed straight at the pin.  Flew right over.  Hit the tractor, a guy was sitting on, at the back of the green.  Dropped onto the green rolling to a foot.  Made birdie!  Asked the guy jumping up and down on the tractor to please park behind the next green.  He refused?  He seemed to think his job was more important than my score.  I don’t understand people like that.

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Ping Anser2 G2 putter

Dedicated Walker

My uncle lost his fight with cancer early hours of this morning, so I'll share one from when I was a kid that's stuck with me my whole life. 

I was still a kid then, 12yo, and playing on a Saturday morning with my dad and uncle. I was still learning the game at that stage, and I was getting more and more frustrated that I couldn't hit the ball how I wanted, and I was starting to throw a tantrum on the course, hitting my bag and yelling when I'd flubbed a shot. 

My dad was trying to give me advice on how to swing, and my grip, and all the golf things, but my uncle had said instead to stop for a moment and look around, and see a beautiful course on a beautiful morning, and to remember that the goal was to have fun, not to try hit perfect shots every time. I calmed myself down, took a breath, and promptly shanked the hell out of the next shot, but it didn't bother me so much that time. 

Every time I've found myself getting frustrated in my game over the years since then I've always remembered that moment, and I always mentally take a step back and appreciate the beauty of the game and the courses and remember that it's all meant to be fun. 

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

My golfing life began with lessons from my Grandpa when I was 12.  I grew up in Waterbury, CT and we visited my grandparents down in Sun City, AZ every summer.  Some key context is that my father and I had an unhealthy relationship, and so I really looked up to my Grandpa.  He loomed large in my life.  He was retired Air Force, a man who took pride in working with his hands, who was stubborn and stoic, and who had high expectations for his only Grandson's behavior.  He knew enough to get me started with golf's fundamentals and sent me home with my first set of irons, 1991 Hogan Edges.  Between some natural athletic ability and a strong work ethic, I took to the game quickly, shooting in the 80s regularly within a couple of years.  But I also had somewhat of a fiery competitive and perfectionist side -- sometimes too much so, which resulted in on-course displays of frustration that occasionally went too far.  Well, once during a casual round with Grandpa when I was 14, after too many shots that fell short of expectations, I expressed my frustration.  I don't even remember what I did -- maybe I slammed my club a bit, or shouted.  Whatever it was, my Grandpa told me that I could either turn my attitude around or we would leave for home.  Well not long after, I hit another unacceptable shot and did something (again, I can't even remember precisely what), but I got into my Grandpa's golf cart with him and he just drove us straight home without saying a word, leaving the golf balls on the course where they lay.  He pulled into the garage and walked into the house without saying a word or looking back.  I could tell he was really upset with me.  I stayed in the guest room, not entirely sure what to do.  My soft-spoken Grandma came in with a dire expression on her face and said, "Matt, I don't think your Grandpa's ever going to play with you again."  I felt devastated.  I found a paper and pen and wrote him a letter apologizing and promising never to disappoint him that way again.  He forgave me, and we played many more rounds of golf.  But I meant what I wrote, and worked really hard from then on never to take things too seriously on the golf course.  I ended up playing for my high school team my sophomore through senior years, and took pride when my coach said to me upon ending my final season that he could never guess whether I'd had a good round or a bad round after I played because I always left the last green with the same smile on my face.  And I've also aimed to apply that same approach to taking all things in life in stride.  In hindsight, I realize my Grandpa's reaction might have been a bit of overkill, but I also know that he always did his best in all things--never half-assed a thing in his life, most likely.  He was trying to teach me the way he knew how, and the lesson has been one I carry with me still today.

Founder, PutterCup (puttercupgolf.com)

4 hours ago, Fongle said:

My uncle lost his fight with cancer early hours of this morning, so I'll share one from when I was a kid that's stuck with me my whole life. 

I was still a kid then, 12yo, and playing on a Saturday morning with my dad and uncle. I was still learning the game at that stage, and I was getting more and more frustrated that I couldn't hit the ball how I wanted, and I was starting to throw a tantrum on the course, hitting my bag and yelling when I'd flubbed a shot. 

My dad was trying to give me advice on how to swing, and my grip, and all the golf things, but my uncle had said instead to stop for a moment and look around, and see a beautiful course on a beautiful morning, and to remember that the goal was to have fun, not to try hit perfect shots every time. I calmed myself down, took a breath, and promptly shanked the hell out of the next shot, but it didn't bother me so much that time. 

Every time I've found myself getting frustrated in my game over the years since then I've always remembered that moment, and I always mentally take a step back and appreciate the beauty of the game and the courses and remember that it's all meant to be fun. 

Sorry for your loss. I too just lost my last uncle.  Prayers for you brother!

Sage advice to follow for sure! I'm glad he was able to leave a positive impact.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I know my story is "impossible" according to the Rules of Golf, but here goes.   I was playing 9 holes with my adult son several years ago, and we weren't keeping score, but here's what happened.....

On a par 4 hole I hit a so-so drive and told my son I was going to hit another drive just for practice.   I did, and it was much better.  So I played my first drive, hit a good shot and put it right on the green.   When we got to my second drive, I said to my son, "I'm going to hit this one too.....let me try your Pitching Wedge."  So he hands me his wedge and I proceed to hit a beautiful shot onto the green and IN THE HOLE!!   We had a laugh and a high five, and continued to walk to the green.

On the green, I lined up my putt and rolled it in the hole, so when I tell this story I tell people that I both EAGLED and BIRDIED the SAME HOLE in one round....!!!!    (Yeah....I know it's impossible under the rules, but it still happened!)

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

This happened a few years ago.  Back then I was *usually* even more inconsistent with my swings then I am today, and I was a whole lot shorter with my clubs than I am now (my average drive then was 200-220, now it's 250-275).

Anyways, I was playing at the Glen Riddle Golf Club near Ocean City, MD (courtesy of my friend who is a member there).  We were playing the Man O'War course (named after the famous horse who stabled there back when the place was a horse farm (which produced the famous race horses Man O'War, War Admiral and Seabiscuit). Making our way around, we get to the par 3 13th.  It's a doozy.  It is a forced carry over water; you can shorten the length a little by going left, but you will miss the green if you do so.  The wind is often a factor, playing into your face from R to L, which makes it play that much longer.  That day the head greenskeeper decided to make this the FU hole by moving all the tee markers back in the tee boxes, and putting the pin on the right side of the green, so that the wind will push the ball away from the pin.  I was playing the men's tees (Blue) which put the distance at something close to 180 yds, but with the wind, it was definitely playing closer to 200 just to get over the water.

I grab my driver (the only club I have a chance of hitting and making it over). I tee up my ball.  Ahead of me are the senior tees, about 10 yards and slightly to my left (I am right handed).  The tee markers are, appropriately, horseshoes.  From where I am standing, the markers are in profile, i.e. the thin edge of the horseshoe is facing me.

image.png.9ec0fbe0cd018780912314c8371dec1e.png

I take a HUGE swing (I swung harder then I usually do just trying to get extra distance).  The ball rockets off the tee -- a worm burner!  It screams forward, and hits the senior tee marker ahead.  The ball ricochets off, back towards me, and comes to rest about 10 yards behind me, on the tips tee box.  My friends are laughing at me.  

I'm annoyed, embarrassed and a little pissed, so I say "I'm taking my back 9 mulligan".  I tee up the ball again, and take a mighty swing!  Another worm burner!  It scuds above the ground, maybe 4 inches, and hits the same senior tee marker ahead -- again!  My buddies fall out of the cart behind me, laughing and crying.  I pick up my ball (which came to rest about 5 feet from me this time) and trudge to the drop point on the other side of the water.

I should have bought a lottery ticket that day.

Edited by Duffer_E

Driver:                      Callaway_SM.png.2dbd21e0ea11e718241b305262731058.png  Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9.0° with Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 (S)

Hybrids:                   Ping_Logo_sm.jpg.bab5d82feeb6c1d1d269eaaef76a487a.jpg G430 3H/4H/5H w/ Ping Alta CB Shaft (S)

Irons:                      Mizuno_SM.png.79ebc3bf5a5ec19aa06f2821a4124811.png  JPX 923 Hot Metal HL - 6i - GW w/Fujikura Pro 95 (S) 

Wedges:                 TaylorMade_SM.png.224090fcebf3f2ce844f24e21b7ce40c.png  Hi-Toe 3 - 54° and 58°

Putter:                    Odyssey_SM.png.4e85ba988090a20cc755973ae2f75c8e.png  Ai-ONE Seven S Putter w/  FlatCat_SM.png.5c2b89b42629f36382f02c3455ef1102.png Fat grip

Ball:                         OnCore_SM.png.17951bcd1a597a2911ba64f199fd4f90.png  Vero X1

Rangefinder:          Nikon.png.a63f6ac8870a8c288ccc9f61454788f4.png  COOLSHOT PROII STABILIZED

Bag:                        Ogio_SM.png.0c28c8267d041ff62082aef4c42bb18a.png  Woode 8 Hybrid bag

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, BubbaJ golfs said:

About a year ago my dad and aI were golfing and I was playing a crappy hole, I set up to chip on to the green and I bladed the tar out of the ball, it went straight for the cart sign and knocked my ball about 5 feet from the hole 

The elusive members bounce!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

I joined a golfing association several years ago (though I am no longer affiliated with them) just to play golf and have a good time. One of the rules was if you shoot below 80, you were disqualified. In all my wildest dreams I didn’t think I would actually even approach 80. Well, in one tournament I shot a 79. The head of our chapter came out to me and said “did you really shoot 79?” and I said “yeah” while smiling like a happy baby. He asked one more time, “Are you sure?” I said “yeah!”. That was the one part of the rules I didn’t read. I did have a couple of guys come up to me afterwards and said that they appreciated my honesty. Through the many tournaments I played in, I witnessed too many cases of pencil whipping a scorecard, sandbaggers and iffy ball placement. I departed the league. But, I still shot a 79. 

I never saw my hole in one from the moment I struck the ball....

Navy Marine G.C. outside of Pearl Harbor in 2004. Hole 5 is a 172 yard par 3, nothing too tough. The sun was just above the tree line behind the hole, so following the ball after contact would be tough. Pulled out the 7 iron, gave it a sold swing, and the ball was off. Lost it immediately as did the other two gentlemen who were with me. It felt good, so I knew I was not too far off the green. I kept staring down the green, hoping I would see the ball, but did not see anything.

Our trio started to walk to the green and on the way, I started to ask if they see anything because I cannot see the ball. They started to joke, "maybe it is inside the cup"? I just laughed it off and continued looking around as we approached the green. Nothing to be found, no divot, no ball in the sand or at the top of the hole. The other two are at their ball glancing around and see nothing either. One of them laughs and said to check the hole.  I chuckled that off and walked to the cup just to get that out of the way.

Oh...my...gawd. There it is! The Callaway HX Red, sitting in the cup with that familiar 3 dot mark I use. "HOLY ****!" The others reply with a no-way as I pull the ball from the cup. I lost my shiz from that point on. I could not believe I had a hole in one and the other two were in shock.

I am hoping I can replicate this feat someday, but this time, with eyes on the ball and an appropriate dance on the tee box. If anything, so happy I got that one while on the island. I attached a picture I took of that very hole way back when, just not on the day this happened. 

DSC00255.jpg

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX4 Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

So I’m gonna include both of my golf stories. The first one was at my second member guest tournament that I played in. I remember guest used to be a flighted match event. Where the winners of each flight would go onto a shootout, we were in a mid flight and one of the guys in our flight was unknown sandbagger from my club who most people had put their money on them with four to go and the guy hadn’t changed out of his flip-flops yet, we both hit drives on a long par four. My next shot was a seven iron that off the club I knew it was gonna be pretty good it it took one bounce and dunked. He pretty much turned around and I knew at that point I had him, ended up winning the next three holes, took that momentum and made our way to the shootout. 12 teams made the shootout we made it past the first hole leaving eight teams made it past the second hole putting us in the last five teams left. The third hole of the shootout was a short par four and due to playing alternate shot it was my turn to hit the drive. I had a pretty good drive down the right side, subsequently my partner took the next shot and hit it about 85° directly into the pond. With the rest of the teams in good scoring positions, I had the choice to either take a drop and hopefully hole it or at least get close enough to give my partner a shot at a one-putt, my wedge  play is the weakest part of my game. So I made the decision to take my shoes and socks off, roll my pants up and try to blast it out of the pond. Needless to say the ball did not exit the pond and my partner, and I bowed out at that point. But it was memorable to the couple hundred people gathered in golf carts on the opposite side of the fairway.

My other memorable shot was my one and only hole-in-one . It actually happened on Halloween a few years ago. My Sunday group was playing early in the morning. There was moisture on the ground and the sun was out so there was a glare we were had back to front so the glare was coming directly at us. I was first to play in my group. I lost the ball midflight, but knew when it left the club face that it was on a good trajectory the three guys and we could see there balls. As we were approaching the green, I did notice something beyond the flagstick. Assuming my ball had taking one hop and skipped over, I began looking for my ball once everybody else had located theirs. I couldn’t find mine so I turned to one of the guys in our group and said hey Brian, “I don’t want to be that guy. Can you go look in the hole?” Brian walks over looks down in the hole and with excites oh my gosh there’s a leaf in this hole. I turn to go start looking for my ball again and he nonchalantly says and there’s a ball next to that leaf. I do wish that I had seen the ball go in the hole from the tee box, but I’m not sure the story would’ve been as good.

IMG_0820.jpeg

IMG_1566.jpeg

Callaway Maverick driver, Mizuno 3-wood and irons, Cleveland wedges, TaylorMade putter. Primarily play with Oncore golf balls

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago I had this happen............

Yesterday I had my first “SENIOR MOMENT” that I myself personally was involved in.

I was at the golf course enjoying one of my better rounds in a few months. It was not warm enough for shorts but at least I did not need to shovel snow before each putt! On the 13th hole after making a rather lengthy Putt for a hard-fought Par to save a SKIN. As I was exiting the green, I skillfully bent down to pick up both my beverage and 2 clubs in one smooth motion. As I started to rise up, still moving forward, I stepped upon a WALNUT shell and rolled my ankle which caused me to further extend the precarious balance…….. I was up until that time maintaining………….as my plight was becoming evident to both myself and those who so gracefully evaded my stumbling flailing bulk. I then understood the inevitability of my impact with the earth……sighhhhhh…..I do want you to know dear readers that I saved the beverage from watering the soil, I also was somewhat amazed that I did not bust a hip or some other portion on my body know to break when fat old men fall!!!

After I had gathered myself and understood what happened, and knew I would not cry, I rolled over to take stock of what just happened. My foursome was duly worried making sure that I was OK and checking to see if I could walk back to the club house to not interrupt the game………..one asked me if he need to call, “Gerhart Towing & Crane Service” to….let me see how he put it….”Get your big ass up off the ground because I ain’t throwing my back out to do it…..” I love these Guys…..snifffff

Well anyway I did finish the day…..with many a beached whale or earthquake joke thrown in and am not any worse for wear other than my pride. But I am sure this will be used often in the months……YEARS to come…….God I love GOLF!!!!

Richard Wendt

In high school my family went to Interlochen, MI for vacation and my brother and father went to play golf at a public course nearby.

When we were on on green getting ready to putt, we hear “fore!”. I am ready to hit my putt and I see my brother and father ducking on the other side of the green and I just lifted my head just in time to see a line drive from a parallel tee box coming right toward my face. 
No time to move, just took it in the mouth. My brother said he had never heard a scream like that, then silence. Thought I was dead. Nope, a mouthful of blood I spit on my father who ran to check on me, the people that hit the shot saying sorry then a trip to the ER.

Doc said he was shocked I didn’t lose a tooth, just three stitches inside and a fat lip. Went back out a few days later to same course with mother along and we again heard “fore!” And this time I covered. Mother asked if I was going to be scared to play now just as the ball landed within 3’ of us. She never said another thing.

Callaway Mavrick Driver, Callaway Rouge Max 3,5 wood, Cobra 3-4 hybrid, Nike Vrs Forged irons 5-A, Cleveland Zipcore 56,60, Odyssey Marksman

One of my friends is a good golfer (compared to me) but can sometimes has a temper (golfers? never...). We were playing and he had his usual game going but at one point he pulls out a brand new 8 iron and severely chunks the shot, cue the expletives, and he tosses the club in the air...it bounces and lands right in a pond! He then takes off his socks and shoes and rolls up his pants (which got wet anyway) and proceeded to feel around the bottom for his club (yes he found it) as we laughed.

Edited by Daddyawn
spelling

So my new golf buddy Frank works at The Forest Country Club in Fort Myers and setup a round for three of us to play the Bobcat course yesterday. The Forest has two pristine tracks, and this was my 1st time playing the Bobcat. Absolutely beautiful with some neat hole designs! We're old guys so we were playing the white tees, and that's my only caveat. Bottom line is that we came to the s-shaped par-5 6th hole with water on both sides and I played that hole about as well as I could play it, with three perfect shots and a 6-footer to card my 1st birdie of the day. Two more good shots and a 7-foot putt delivered a 2nd birdie on #7, and a sweet hybrid to about 9 feet setup my 3rd birdie in a row on #8. Now that might not be a big deal to most of you, but I've been golfing since 1987 and it's the first time I've carded three birdies on the front or back of a championship course, and definitely never 3 birds in a row! I couldn't sustain it though, as my tee ball on #9 went awry and I gave back those three shots, bogeyed 10, and got the "get-the-bleep-off-the-course" siren on 11 (SOP for a SW Florida afternoon). The subsequent poor holes and truncated round notwithstanding, it was one of my best days in 37 years of golf 😊.

Still swinging after all these years

My first league was 18 holes. 
Creek crossed 5 of the holes.  First 4 creek holes, I put a ball in the creek. 
On the last creek hole I was determined to get across and I did! 

Ball then hit a tree and bounced back in the creek.

Driver - Stix Compete
7W - :ping-small: G5
9W - :callaway-small: Big Bertha War Bird
5H/SW - :callaway-small:Edge 
6H - :ping-small: G15
5-PW - :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56 - Kirkland Signature 
Putter - :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

Mine is simple. I was skunked looking for a golf ball that landed about a yard off the fairway on the creek side. The spray is not a mist but more like a stream. Had to work from home for 3 weeks because I would be a distraction in the work environment. I had to wait until my wafting radius was smaller than my cubicle. The skunk got a drop inside and I couldn’t smell anything but burnt rubber for nearly two months. 

since then I’ve hit probably 30 shots in the same location. I have not learned from this experience, I continue to play my shots from there. I just do a careful check of my surroundings first. 

Burningbush

I have a friend who is so bad at golf he goes by Johnny Golf. He tells people when he introduces himself, I'm Johnny Golf, like Johnny Football was bad at football, I'm bad at golf. His solution to his poor play is to buy another set of clubs. In the past year, he has purchased 4 sets. He always trades in a set so he doesn't pay the full price. He plays better for a couple of weeks then the New Club Honeymoon is over and he's back to being Johnny Golf. I have known him for 10+ years and everyone has attempted to help him. He's even taken lessons but he never practices, so I told him lessons were a waste of money. I said the same about buying new clubs, new clubs won't help a bad swing. He could be a trick shot artist if he could reproduce some of his shot on demand. The Best or the Worst (depending on your point of view) was a tee shot that he hit with the Callaway Smoke driver. He swung and said, "Where did it go?" The tee shot ( believe it or not) almost hit him in the head. It missed his head by a foot and landed 3 feet directly behind him. He has hit several tee shot that land a few feet in front of him but land way to his left. Needless to say he has an over the top swing. Even his practice swing is over the top. I don't know how it's physically possible to hit a ball off a tee backwards.