MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

GolfSpy SAM

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Question for the group now that the results are in. What would you pay for the LA Golf ball and what are the performance levels required to be at the cost of $70 if any?

I won't even pay the $50+ for ProV's I think that is way too high, so the fact any company is charging $20 more is outrageous. There are other golf balls out there with similar performance measures for a fraction of the price it's really hard to justify spending that much. I will have to wait till someone with disposable cash loses one in the woods and I happen to find it to test it out, lol. 

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

4 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Question for the group now that the results are in. What would you pay for the LA Golf ball and what are the performance levels required to be at the cost of $70 if any?

Between 40 and 50. There is nothing the ball can do to get me to pay 70

WITB:

D: :ping-small: G430 Max 10k 10.5° turned down 1° flat :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue velocore  6x

3w::ping-small: 14.5° G425 Max Alta CB 65s

3h: :ping-small: G430 18° Tour 2.0/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 :projectx: 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 :projectx: 6.0

48°: :vokey-small: SM-9 

54° & 58°: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper

P:   :L.A.B.: Link.1

Ball:  :vice: Pro Plus Drip

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

Not sure if there are any fitters here but I am tired of paying over $70 CDN for pro v1s and am looking to switch. I'm usually short going into the green so I'd like a ball that hits the green, hops and goes about 10-15 feet before stopping. After looking at the data (Thanks MGS) I am considering the Mizuno RB Tour. I'm just worried about the spin. It appears to have approx 300 less spin than the pro v1. The pro v1 does this for me now and then but sometimes it spins back or just stops while hitting the green. My most inconsistent club is my driver and I'd like to mitigate side spin when I don't hit the ball properly. My ball speed is around 155mph and I have a +2 AOA. I generally hit the ball all over the face but if I were to pick a spot it would usually be above center to toe shots. 

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* (Upright Setting), Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex, New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions Yellow + White)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  2023 Pro Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

It was really nice to see that the balls I prefer were all grouped up realtively closely in the grid. It is nice to know that the Bridgestone XS is very high spin ball. And out of my group of preferred balls, I was surprised to see the TP5 as the outlier, as that is probably my 2nd favorite ball right now. 

Also if Srixon keeps making the Z-Star any softer, I may be switching to the Diamond. I've noticed that most of the OEMs have softened their non-X tour level offerings. Z-Star, ProV1, TP5 are all a few points lower than in the last test. Wonder why that is.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I would pay $0 for it since there are plenty of other good balls on the list that are readily available and at decent price points already.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

On 2/16/2023 at 2:37 PM, GolfSpy SAM said:

Let's hear it - what absolutely needs to be included? PXG, MaxFli's new balls and anything new in the DTC space are what I'm most interested in. 

What about you?

Combine the quality testing with the performance testing.  There should be one complete place to see how the balls compare.  Add the Oncore line 

Four, Albatross'

Three Holes in One

Plus, when I was 5 the first ball I ever hit on a golf course went in the hole, so I have that going for me.

My bag is a mish mash of Ping drivers, cobra and adams fairways, TA1 irons and Hopkins wedges, plus a Cure putter.  

Even if it was at the top of the list for everything I can't justify that price. There are too many good options for way less. I mean the Srixon Z Star Diamond I think performed better "granted this can vary depending on what you are looking for". Also with quality/consistency, I haven't seen a ball lab for the LA golf ball yet but will find it hard it will do any better then the Diamond and it getting a 85 on both tests since its release. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Any/All of the balls that have gone through Forum Member Testing

Ditto all the Penfold reqeusts

I agree with the idea of giving all of the members something to look for, so some of the lower compression offerings that are supposed to work better for the slower swing speeds out there, (juniors, seniors, ladies)

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

19 minutes ago, Albatrossx3 said:

Combine the quality testing with the performance testing.  There should be one complete place to see how the balls compare.  Add the Oncore line 

mygolfspy.com the full article is there. OnCore included. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

23 hours ago, lopey986 said:

i almost bought that dang cubed box early this year and talked myself out of it...now i'm really hoping it makes a comeback again. i might have to drop into my local dicks and see if they don't possibly still have some on shelfs even though they don't show online anymore. that's a great deal.

I just found MaxFli online -- Tour, Tour X and Tour S @$119.98 for 4 dozen.

Edited by tdc1
Inadvertently added a word twice in original post.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Seed Golf Balls. Would be great to see if they are simply another ball rebranded.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 19 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 54 Degree Wedge Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway

Cobra Vintage Series Stingray 40

Preferred ball - Seed 001

16 hours ago, chisag said:

... If following the ball flight is an issue, these shouldn't be a problem. I saw them for the first time at GG yesterday and they were the brightest yellow I have ever seen. I was gonna pick up a dozen Tour's but just too bright for me. They look good on you though!

it-looks-good-on-you-though-caddyshack.gif.ebe47f1af3513aa63c522abbac8af6d7.gif

I like the Yellow here in winter.  Januarys are typically inversion days with a gray almost fog-like sky... not really clouds.  Yellow is the best color for me on those days.  I still prefer white on clear, cloudless days though.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

11 hours ago, Dooby said:

As far as the logic of picking a ball that is right for irons/wedges and then fit it to your driver - can you explain that or point me in the direction of that rationale? I am curious about it and when I am going through the data I find myself in between a handful of balls because there does seem to be a performance difference when going from driver to mid iron.

If you have not seen this article before - give it a look.  It outlines a good approach - and the associated reasons:

https://mygolfspy.com/news-opinion/golf-ball-fitting-101/

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

On 2/17/2023 at 7:49 AM, Niels_Denmark said:

One more vote for the new Mizuno balls.

It seems that they are genuinely reinvented this year, so will be interesting to see if they bring something unique, if they have 'just' caught up, and what the actual charecteristics of them are compared to the usual suspects... 🍿

I played the 2023 Mizuno RBTour all spring before switching to the Srixon Z Star Diamond. Only made the switch because they had a buy two dozen get one free special for Fathers Day and I was almost out of Mizuno balls. Once I run out my Diamonds I’m going back to the Mizunos but will most likely move to the Tour X when I do. Great ball for right around $42/dozen

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I really enjoyed reading this report. It was definitely eye opening and something I'm excited about testing out in the future. For now though, I am still going to buy the best balls I can get on clearance since I know I'm going to lose them eventually. It would be interesting to see a round of testing like this done on mid range balls in the $20-$30 per dozen range. I avoid refurbs and the cheapest balls out there, but I also don't want to throw $50 in the pond every 2-3 rounds.

• Cobra AMP Cell Driver
  • Cobra Aerojet 3 Wood
  • Cobra LTDx 3 Hybrid
  • Cobra LTDx 5-GW Irons
  • Tour Edge 52,56, 60
  • Odyssey White Hot #4

Loved the thorough testing, really eye opening. I'm in a weird in between on fast/mid swing speed with an average of about 102 mph on the driver. I think I would probably lean towards a softer ball with less compression to hopefully compromise a little distance for forgiveness. I definitely plan on getting a few of the best performers and having a decision come down to feel.

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

The responses to this question aren't going to age well. We should all know by now that at some point in the future, we're going to be paying $70/dozen for ProVs and then a couple years after that, the rest of the premium/tour offerings from the other OEMs will cross the same threshold. 

That being said, I don't view an LA Golf purchase (of any kind) as a decision about performance. To Tony's point in the article, there aren't any 'bad' balls in the test. So why pay $70/dozen for a ball that isn't head and shoulders above the rest? Probably for the same reason someone buys a Rolex: because they want to and/or want the status that it communicates. Same line of thinking, why does anyone play a ProV1/ProV1x when there are clearly many, many competitors that offer the exact same performance characteristics? 

A good friend of mine will only play Titleist golf balls. I tried to get him to try the Maxfli lineup and he turned his nose up at it, nearly literally. He isn't interested in saving money, he's interested in being able to say he plays the #1 ball in golf and views the price premium as a feature, not a bug.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

My SS is ~105 so more on the top end of mid-speed.

I've been playing the Maxfli Tour X and so far I'm not disappointed, but based on the results of the test I'm thinking about trying both the 
* wilson triad
* vice pro plus

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Currently I play the Pro v1 regularly but have been rotating in the Maxfli Tour X and Callaway Chrome Soft X LS. after reading through the test the Pro v1x and Pro v1x left dash has me intrigued...

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

10 minutes ago, OU812DAY said:

Please add Snell balls to the list.  Thanks!🙂

Test has been run! 

Dont worry Snell is in there - https://mygolfspy.com/buyers-guide/2023-golf-ball-test/

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

40-50 is the sweet spot for a dozen of the top end balls. 30 for DTC brands. IMO.

Titleist is obviously the benchmark and they are 55 but if you wait for the loyalty deal it knocks the price down to 42. Dicks/GG had Chromesofts buy 3 get 1 free in their 48 ball cube. Srixon runs regular bogo sales. If LA Golf got down to 40-50 i'd probably pull the trigger on trying them after seeing the ball data.

For DTC brands like MaxFli and Vice, the more you buy the more you save so it knocked them down into that 30 range. 

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

I would probably pay a maximum of about $40 per dozen. There are plenty of very good golf balls that I can purchase for between $30 - $40 per dozen (Vice Pro/Pro Plus/Pro Soft, Maxfli Tour/TourX/TourS, etc.) that can be had .... more in the $30/doz. range when you buy 4 or 5 dozen .... that I don't see the need to pay more than that for premium, high-quality, great performing Urethane cover golf balls.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

I’m going to throw this in here.  Thought it was a good video that might help people analyze the ball data and their needs.  It even gets into fitting clubs a bit 

….

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG