MyGolfSpy 2023 Golf Ball Test!!!

GolfSpy SAM

On 8/30/2023 at 1:11 PM, Dooby said:

I think after digging through the data - I am between the MaxFli Tour X and the Mizuno RB TourX. 

I'm actually backtracking on this. While I am going to continue to take note of where these land in my eval - I am going to restart from scratch in looking at the testing data and see where I land. I also was working from driver down the bag rather than the other way which I have now learned is a less optimal way of going about it.

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngBRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

image.png.035d01cabf89e6027a4fb2d6107c1cfc.png Pro 225 (4-PW)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

communityIcon_9jjcwwtbehv21.jpg.a2e30b12212e772e693bed660e05cace.jpg  Studio Design 2

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat

I am between mid & high SS but closer to mid and am a low spin player across all the clubs in my bag. Between winning a Ballnamic fitting, the results here, and some of my own experimenting- I have my top 4 going forward for continued tinkering:

1. Chromesoft X

2. Pro V1x

3. Srixon Z Star Diamond (current gamer)

4. Maxfli Tour X

Between price and not having truly superior performance elsewhere, the Bridgestone B X barely missed the cut. Really look forward to finding my ball from these over the next months

First 9 holes with Triad:

It is light. Noticeably light. Freakishly Noticeably, light. Seems like a Princess and the Pea kinda situation, but there's no denying. The ball is light.

That said. It performed well off the T. It performed well AROUND the greens. ON the green. I was blasting it past holes. And it feels light.

Comparing to Maxfli Tour and Pro V1.

Playing 18 tomorrow .....

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

27 holes with one ball. Unusual for me. Damage was from tree strikes. Same durability as a yellow Maxfli Tour, I'd say.

Longest drive was 265 - with a little bit of downhill help. Good drives on flat holes were my normal 220 - 240 yds.

Putting is solid, once you get used to how light they are. 

They sound and feel great. Still not convinced they at $8 - $10 better than the Maxfli Tour - for me.

16936818636791839998374198541080.jpg

16936819008352870028233922591332.jpg

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

@JohnnyO3478 Are you using MaxFli Tour or Tour X?  Also, DSG shows Tour and Triad at same price.  Are you using bulk price/dozen for Tour vs. single price/dozen for Triad to get the $8-$10 difference.

Very much enjoying your posts as I look for best ball for my game.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

4 hours ago, tdc1 said:

@JohnnyO3478 Are you using MaxFli Tour or Tour X?  Also, DSG shows Tour and Triad at same price.  Are you using bulk price/dozen for Tour vs. single price/dozen for Triad to get the $8-$10 difference.

Very much enjoying your posts as I look for best ball for my game.

Glad to hear somebody is enjoying!  Best of luck in your search.

I have not tried either the X or the S version.  The S version does not meet my specs - and I would not be all that keen on trying any 4 pc ball from Foremost - as they just can't seem to control the compression.  If I needed a 4 pc ball it would most likely be coming out of Ball Plant 3 ....

I buy in bulk - so when doing my comparison on the pricing btw the Tour and the Triad - I am using the $119 for 4 dz for Maxfli vs either the $38 or $40/ dz for the triad.  Basically you 4 Maxflie dozens for the price of 3 Triad dozens.  That's noticable, IMO.

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

I wish there was more detail on how the MGS recommendations were chosen and almost a more in-depth ranking, like a top 5, 7 or 10. Maybe one of the testers or Tony can comment. He may have already done so and I missed it - I know the ball test states its based on a mix of performance between the driver and irons but I am curious how they narrowed it down to 3 or what they specifically looked at when trying to make recommendations.  I tried sorting the data to align with their recommendations and failed to see a pattern.

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

communityIcon_9jjcwwtbehv21.jpg.a2e30b12212e772e693bed660e05cace.jpg  Studio Design 2

53 minutes ago, Dooby said:

I wish there was more detail on how the MGS recommendations were chosen and almost a more in-depth ranking, like a top 5, 7 or 10. Maybe one of the testers or Tony can comment. He may have already done so and I missed it - I know the ball test states its based on a mix of performance between the driver and irons but I am curious how they narrowed it down to 3 or what they specifically looked at when trying to make recommendations.  I tried sorting the data to align with their recommendations and failed to see a pattern.

Ignore their recommendations. Take the data and do your own testing. 

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

1 hour ago, Dooby said:

It would probably have to be @Tony Covey MGS to answer since he compiled the data.  The "tester" was a robot and probably doesn't have much to say 🙂      In my opinion, it doesn't really matter what MGS recommends;  you need to figure out the performance metrics that work for your game.  start with a baseline ball and then adjust from there.   This was also the MGS recommendation based on the No Putts Given episode that discussed the ball test and results. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am comfortably in the Mid Speed Swing arena.  My current ball stash is:  V1 from both '21 and '23 - solid all around performer for me, BXS - always liked the feel of the ball, pretty interchangeable with the V1 for the most part for me, Vice Pro - new ball for me this year, higher flight than V1 but similar performance & Q Star Tour for Cold weather play (early and late here in Northern Idaho).

Read thru the test - not a lot to change my mind on what I have been playing but the Mizuno RB Tour caught my eye.  So bought a sleeve today and gave them a run.

Scoring - shot an 81, same as I shot with my BXS last round.  So did not drastically change my game!  But - for me - the RB Tour flew higher off the driver (similar to Vice Pro) and a touch lower off of the irons (similar to V1).  Felt great - as I like a softer feeling ball.  Short game had plenty of check (closer to the BXS vs the V1 or Vice).  Distance was good all of the way around for me (more carry and less roll than the V1).  Durability was good as well.

I will play them again on Monday and report back but I enjoyed them today.  Very surprised!

WITB

TSi3 9 degree - Fuji Motore 6s

Ping 5W & 7W - Tensei Orange 75s

Ping i525 - 5-GW - AWT 2.0 S

Ping Glide 4.0 - 54, 58 - Ping Wedge 115

Sub 70 - 62 - DG 120

Sub 70 Sycamore 005 Putter

Pro V1 (for now)

Vessel Player 3 DXR

I think we will agree to disagree.

The benefit from so-called real world data is contaminated because over several hours/days the weather including wind direction can change which will obviously skew the data. Most metrics can be achieved accurately with modern technology in a sterile environment i.e. indoors.  

1 hour ago, Rappers said:

The benefit from so-called real world data is contaminated because over several hours/days the weather including wind direction can change which will obviously skew the data. Most metrics can be achieved accurately with modern technology in a sterile environment i.e. indoors.  

I agree with you but have been taken to task elsewhere by those critics of the Today's Golfer ball test. I think outdoor testing, comparing a couple of balls, is well worth the effort and is valuable after narrowing one's choices down using indoor testing. There is no way temperature, humidity and wind/breeze can be constant for every shot with every ball over several days of outdoor testing.

In my TaylorMade Supreme Golf Bag:
Driver:  PXG Gen 6 0311 10.5° with Motore X F3 R Shaft 45"
3W:  Callaway 3W Mavrik Max w/ UST Helium Black 4F2
5W: Callaway Epic Flash (+1/N) w/ Project X Evenflow Green R Flex
Hybrid:  Callaway Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) w/ UST Recoil 760 ES F2
Irons: Callaway Apex CF19 with UST Recoil F2 shafts
Wedges: Callaway MD5 54° and 58° with KBS steel shafts.
Putter:  Seemore Original FGP Mallet or Toulon Portland
Ball:  Currently Bridgestone Tour B RX Mindset

3 hours ago, Rappers said:

These factors and discussion points are all explained on the article itself. There is a reason they did the testing where they did fwiw.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

8 hours ago, Rappers said:

... Well, considering I play contaminated golf outdoors and not sterile golf indoors, I want my ball and my equipment fittings to be outdoors. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
                  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 20* 7 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Three rounds completed this weekend. Lost 2 Triads.  The first one lasted 33 holes! 

I absolutely walloped one on 17 today. Overall it was a good driver day and mostly a good approach shot day. Made 5 pars on the back 9 which is more than normal for me - a 19 index player. I needed every one of them to offset the 8 I carded on 16 .....

This week I'll go out in the evening and play some holes with both the Triad and Maxfli Tour - head to head.

PXG

Cobra

Mizuno

10 hours ago, Rappers said:

So you’d rather see data from a ball test that by all intents and purposes would be rendered potentially pointless as soon as you get outside and play? What’s to say a certain ball won’t be impacted more significantly than another when playing in the wind, for instance?

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

11 hours ago, Rappers said:

I can understand your logic and point. Indoors might be your preferred testing arena. However, I personally prefer to do equipment and ball fittings outdoors. I want to see the actual flight of the ball. It’s important to me to see the actual flight. I would not buy clubs that I couldn’t test outdoors. I have been misfitted in the indoor sterile environment and won’t make that expensive mistake ever again! The same with balls I use. Around the greens I want to see how the ball reacts. I also want to see the flight and how easy I can maneuver the ball flight. Indoors does not meet that criteria for me.

Edited by Javs

Play like a champion today!

2 minutes ago, Javs said:

Around the greens I want to see how the ball reacts.

... Good point! Chipping numbers from a mat will be quite different than Bent and Bermuda grass. I wanted max bite on Bent greens where the first hop has a slight skid but Bermuda can grab like velcro, so I still want enough spin to control my pitches/chips but no longer need as much spin as I can get. 

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Good point! Chipping numbers from a mat will be quite different than Bent and Bermuda grass. I wanted max bite on Bent greens where the first hop has a slight skid but Bermuda can grab like velcro, so I still want enough spin to control my pitches/chips but no longer need as much spin as I can get. 

Yes Sir, fully agree. I need to see the ball react in the environment I use it. 

I think using launch monitors and hitting mats is useful when getting fitted or trying to compare one club vs. another just so you can eliminate as many other variables as possible. But I’d rather see ball data in a real setting rather than a “lab-like” setting. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

3 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I think using launch monitors and hitting mats is useful when getting fitted or trying to compare one vs. another just so you can eliminate as many other variables as possible. But I’d rather see ball data in a real setting rather than a “lab-like” setting. 

I personally use the launch monitor outdoors so I get to see the numbers and the actual flight. 

24 minutes ago, Preeway said:

I think using launch monitors and hitting mats is useful when getting fitted or trying to compare one club vs. another just so you can eliminate as many other variables as possible. But I’d rather see ball data in a real setting rather than a “lab-like” setting. 

... I can't argue with your logic, but indoor fitting are useless for me. Every swing I take is to a specific target and that's the way my game is wired. I want to control trajectories and see how any given club/ball reacts to 3/4 and knockdown swings, something I can't do indoors. Hitting off a mat indoors with no target in the distance or the ability to see my ball flight and make corrections just doesn't compute for my mental process and nothing like being outdoors. I know more than a few feel anything from cramped to target less indoors and it just doesn't replicate their swings or games on a range with a LM.  That said, I have always admired those that can swing indoors with the same ability as outdoors. 

I’m 100% in agreement with your sentiment. I definitely had my struggles this year with my new irons after being fitted last fall. I think I’m just now starting to get comfortable with using them outdoors the same way I do in a hitting bay during a lesson or in my back patio into my net. Swinging while also trying to deal with thoughts of target line in the background is skill that is often undervalued and not understood by many people. Hitting in a sterile environment indoors just doesn’t prep you as well for the real thing. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

12 hours ago, Rappers said:

I understand your point but for me it would have to be outdoors, especially for the short game. I have a friend who owns HD golf simulators and I can tell you that the short game side of playing on those machines is a completely different animal than outdoors. Plus those machines are not entirely accurate. 

If you have access to a simulator nothing stopping you from grabbing a few balls that you think might do the job and do your own testing. I think the whole point MGS is saying is that you NEED to do your own test. I take the findings here as a starting point to what I'm looking for and go from there.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* (Upright Setting), Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex, New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions Yellow + White)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  2023 Pro Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

So I received my Chrome Soft X LS balls today. Ordered the white ones with triple track. I've played 1 round with them but I'm liking what I'm getting from them. I hit a couple of thin shots today where in one case the ball released to the hole for about a 15 footer and the other case I hit it think and it checked up instead of releasing for another 10-15 footer for a bird. Drives where lower than the Pro v1s but I got good roll out of them and can say that they were longer overall. Obviously more testing will happen and I think my next dozen will be yellow without the triple track. I tend to use the alignment when I'm close but I use more feel from further back. 

Anyways, I'm impressed and will continue updating as I play with them.

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* (Upright Setting), Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex, New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions Yellow + White)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  2023 Pro Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

5 hours ago, chisag said:

So with wanting max bite, what balls do you lean towards with the 2023 test results out?

13 minutes ago, Dooby said:

So with wanting max bite, what balls do you lean towards with the 2023 test results out?

Getting maximum bite isn’t all about the ball. It has more to do with the technique and lie of the shot. 

15 minutes ago, Dooby said:

... I do not want max bite, just enough for control. But pitching and chipping can be very player dependent. I play more of a back in my stance trap chip so I tend to create a lot of spin around the greens. Someone chipping more middle stance and using the bounce will not produce as much spin. So the numbers can tell you which balls "tend" to spin more than others but not really how that spin will correlate to your short game. Not to sound like a broken record but the numbers are just a starting point. 

How many of you have bought or changed golf balls since the ball test, because of the ball test?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I agree there is a difference from hitting balls off a matt and grass, where the turf interaction can have a significant effect on the ball dynamics. Testing clubs is also better in a real world environment, where flight, feel, sound is part of the feedback. However, much of this is down to aesthetics, which is not the case when testing golf balls for purely performance data.