Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Sun Mountain Four 5 Golf Bag - REVIEW!

Sun Mountain Four 5 Stand Bag – REVIEW

Sun Mountain 4 (1).JPG

Introduction

It's rare to get everything you want. Life requires compromise. You want a sports car, your kids want a minivan, and so you end up with a sedan. And ultimately, no one is happy. Golfers face this dilemma when choosing a bag: cart bag or stand bag? The cart bag has lots of features, but it's too heavy to carry. The stand bag is light, but lacks dividers and pocket space. With the Four 5, Sun Mountain has attempted to create a bag that makes everyone happy all the time. Did they succeed? Read on to find out.

Sun Mountain 4 (2).JPG

Style (20 points)

The Four 5 is a solid, fairly traditional looking bag. Outside of the two large Sun Mountain logos, there's not too much going on in terms of design. The bag is offered in a variety of colors: blue, navy, black, grey, and green. While it probably won't speak to the guys who need loud colors and wild patterns, I think the majority of golfers will find the Four 5 to be quite attractive.

Score 18/20

Sun Mountain 4 (3).JPG

Performance (60 points)

Pros

*14 way top with FULL LENGTH DIVIDERS: This is the bag's best feature, hands down. I HATE when the clubs get tangled at the bottom of the bag. This is particularly common (and annoying) for me because I play larger grips. That problem is now gone. Not only that, but it's easy to see if I have all my clubs: if there's one club per slot, I'm good.

*Weight: The bag is light enough to carry for 18 holes. If it's too heavy, it's because you overloaded its ample…

*Pockets: There are six pockets and they are all large. Even better, the drink holder extra large. Since I like to take a one liter Nalgene bottle to the course, this is a big deal. The Four 5 is the first bag that can accommodate it.

*Straps: These are the most well-padded straps I've seen on a golf bag, and they are super easy to adjust

*Stand/Legs: The legs are above-average in the sturdiness department, and the stand mechanism is connected to the base for extra durability. Additionally, the legs can be immobilized by built in elastic straps for times when you are riding. These elastic straps are much more secure than the standard weak @ss Velcro.

*Cart Strap: There is a hidden alley to run the cart strap through so that it doesn't block access to any of the pockets. This is one of those little things that really makes the bag more enjoyable to use.

Cons

*No home for large putter grips: This bag does not have a putter well, so if your putter grip doesn't fit into a “normal” slot, you are SOL. This doesn't matter to me, but it will matter to others.

*No small pockets: With the exception of the valuables pocket (which is still quite substantial) all of the pockets are downright cavernous. Personally, I like one or two small pockets for tees and other small items.

Performance Summary

As you can see, the Pros outnumber the Cons significantly (and I probably could have come up with another handful of Pros if I wanted to). I've used the Four 5 in all different settings, walking, riding, and pushing, and I've enjoyed using it every time. While the putter grip issue may be a deal breaker for some, I personally have only one tiny nitpick that keeps the Four 5 from getting a perfect score here.

Score 59/60

Sun Mountain 4 (4).JPG

Value (20 points)

I was able to find the Sun Mountain Four 5 on sale for between $180 and $200 online. While this is certainly on the high end of bag prices, I would argue that it's still a good value. As I outlined above, the bag performs well in all situations: walking, riding, or pushing. Also, my experience with Sun Mountain bags is that they last longer than the clubs you keep in them (though for some of us that isn't saying much).

My personal view is that a bag is something you buy infrequently (as in, when the old one breaks), so it's worthwhile to invest in a good one. A good bag may not add to your enjoyment of the game, but a bad one can definitely detract from it. The Sun Mountain Four 5 may cost a little more than average, but it's still a very good value.

Score18/20

Sun Mountain 4 (6).JPG

Conclusion

In my opinion, the Sun Mountain Four 5 is the ultimate golf bag: all the benefits of a cart bag (14 full length dividers, tons of pocket space), with the stand and light weight of a carry bag. If you're a golfer who walks or ride exclusively, there may be a better choice for you. However, for the vast majority of golfers who do a little of each, I would suggest investing in the Sun Mountain Four 5 the next time you need a golf bag.

Total Score 95/100

Sun Mountain 4 (7).JPG

Sun Mountain 4 (9).JPG

VISIT WEBSITE: www.sunmountain.com

FOLLOW ON TWITTER: https://twitter.com/#!/SunMountainGolf

Sun Mountain 4 (10).JPG

Sun Mountain 4 (11).JPG

Sun Mountain 4 (12).JPG

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Love my red Four 5, though judging by some of the details on yours mine must be the previous model. I have had it almost 2 years. Would add to the pros that it is very comfortable to carry- doesn't bump around and sits very nicely on the shoulders. It also sits securely on my push cart. As you mention, it would be nice to have at least a slightly larger sleeve for the putter, but it hasn't been a big deal. Did get mine new for about $139 from a local course that I play often, so that was a deal. Nice review of a great product.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Archived