2024 PGA Contest by MyClubFitter and My Golf Spy ×

2023 MGS Forum: Cobra 50th Anniversary Special!

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the TESTING POST links to go straight to the testers introductions, unboxings and final reviews!

Testing King Tour CB MB
@chisagTESTING POST - Page 11

@Tom the Golf NutTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing Forged Tec & Forged Tec X
@sirchunksalotTESTING POST - Page 12

@CFreddieTESTING POST - Page 12

Testing AeroJet Irons
@Jnoble89TESTING POST - Page 12

@JerryBTESTING POST - Page 12

CONGRATULATIONS TO TEAM 1!  Sam, Chris, and Jason are this year's Cobra Member Special Champions!

image.png

Which team is going win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which team is going to win the Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special?

• Team 1: chisag, CFreddie, and Jnoble89
    • Team 2: Tom the Golf Nut, sirchunksalot, and JerryB

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/01/2023 at 03:59 AM

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Sweet! I get inundated with email from the big 3 promoting their fittings late Winter and Spring. As well as indoor fittings at the PGA SS and Golf Galaxy but never saw one for Cobra. 

And to add onto this as well, I had never considered putting a Cobra club in my bag before this challenge. I would imagine part of this would play into that you just don’t see as much marketing from them, which I don’t think is necessarily a bad thing. I just didn’t put them in the same tier as TM, Cally, Titleist, etc. 

This challenge is absolutely debunking that thought for me. I have really liked the irons and wedges, and at the beginning of the season I was pretty dead set on demoing and ordering the TM P790s and whatever wedge I hit best as our pro has a great relationship with TM. Had a fitting scheduled at the club and everything and ended up cancelling it well in advance. 

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

... I guess I'll do some club work and house cleaning/laundry today since we have an Excessive Heat Warning.  🥵

Screenshot2023-07-02at11_27_43AM.png.dc990894243d68182cffca066673ebe1.png

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

19 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I had never considered putting a Cobra club in my bag before this challenge. I would imagine part of this would play into that you just don’t see as much marketing from them, which I don’t think is necessarily a bad thing. I just didn’t put them in the same tier as TM, Cally, Titleist, etc. 

... As much as forum members love to roast the Big 3 OEMs for hype and marketing, it is a necessary tool, especially for the average non golf forum members. So I do think it is a bad thing. In most stores TM, Titleist and Cally are grouped together. Ping and MIzuno can be off to the side but they both have a loyal customer base. Cobra is the outlier and I have been fighting for them for many years.

... The SS Forged irons got my attention many years ago and that year I found them to be the best players irons on the market and I could still play them today. Then when playing the OG AP2's, Cobra came out with the Amp Forged irons and I immediately switched and those irons should be in the Golf HOF. Other than the visible weights in the sole and the Rickie Orange cavity that were both a big mistake imo, they looked perfect at address and for me that's all that counts. Same thing can be said for the Fly Z driver. A few hits and misses along the way with their drivers but I think the Aerojet puts them back in the game. 

1001824-aaa.jpg.8835b2e58d140e3d58f72591640f4268.jpg

2Y9G5090_resize.jpg.2925735ee92de1ac06fb28547001a9e4.jpg
2Y9G5081_resize.jpg.43a0745419bf50c4b1ecec9d0cd63416.jpg

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As much as forum members love to roast the Big 3 OEMs for hype and marketing, it is a necessary tool, especially for the average non golf form golfers. So I do think it is a bad thing. In most stores TM, Titleist and Cally are grouped together. Ping and MIzuno can be off to the side but they both have loyal customers. Cobra is the outlier and I have been fighting for them for many years. The SS Forged irons got my attention many years ago and that year I found them to be the best payers irons on the market and I could still play them today. Then when playing the OG AP2's, Cobra came out with the Amp Forged irons and I immediately switched and those irons should be in the Golf HOF. Other than the visible weights I the sole and Orange cavity that were both a big mistake imo but they looked perfect at address and for me that's all that counts. Same thing can be said for the Fly Z driver. A few hits and misses along the way with their drivers but I think the Aerojet puts them back in the game. 

1001824-aaa.jpg.8835b2e58d140e3d58f72591640f4268.jpg

2Y9G5090_resize.jpg.2925735ee92de1ac06fb28547001a9e4.jpg
2Y9G5081_resize.jpg.43a0745419bf50c4b1ecec9d0cd63416.jpg

You’re definitely not wrong in that more marketing doesn’t hurt to get your name out. I mean all someone needs to do is watch a little TV and ads are constantly filled with major brands. I will say that I feel like I have seen more Cobra commercials during tournaments this year. But when it comes down to the new/average everyday golfer like you said, you’re seeing TM, Callaway, PING, Titleist clubs and typically full bags at that. Cobra certainly belongs in that mix

Driver: :cobra-small: DARKSPEED X 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X (Currently Testing)

#LeftyGang

Speaking of marketing, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that finally getting the challenge underway and Rickie Fowler getting the win has been no coincidence.  He's been on a pretty good run since this year's challenge was announced.  We should definitely get the credit for his resurgence. 🤫

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

My woods review is up. See page 12. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

It was good to see Rickie win today, I think having him compete again is good for the game. Plus, his struggles have been well documented over the last couple of years and it's good to see him finally playing well again. 

As far as Cobra clubs go, I had a fascination with them back when they put out the King Cobra oversize bank when Norman was playing them and they got a lot of advertisement in golf magazines. 

I didn't really get into them until I came across the Cobra Connect Challenge thread tee in the forum. I haven't had the experience with them that @chisag has, but have owned a set of irons and fairways. I think they're right there with the big boys.

Hey cobra crew Way to have a winning glare of clubs! Cobra seems to be a great company! Would be my choice of clubs if I wasn’t sleeping with DTC brands!

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

42 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

My woods review is up. See page 12. 

... Not surprisingly Tom we have a similar take on our clubs. 👍 5 wood is pleeeenty long and one of the reasons I didn't order a 3 wood. And my 19* hybrid is too long as well. I should have ordered the 19* DI or the #4 King Tec hybrid but one miss out of an entire bag ain't too bad. Plus I have a DI and 4 hybrid I like so I'm still good. The only big difference is the TS1* is a pretty big head so not much different than the AJ, but the Stealth2 is much more compact from face to rear and the AJ just doesn't suit my eye. If it outperformed my gamer I would certainly get used to the elongated look but it came up just a little short for me. 

* Kinda interesting that Nelly Korda played a TS1 and went to the Stealth2 HD so size of the head didn't seem to bother her! 

10 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

Hey cobra crew Way to have a winning glare of clubs! Cobra seems to be a great company!

... I went in to this challenge thinking the King Tour irons had a very good chance of staying in my bag. I was keeping an open mind about the rest of the clubs and Cobra bag but not really expecting any to beat up what I was playing. Already the fairway woods are staying and if I had ordered the #4 King Tec Hybrid, that would be staying as well. And I still have wedges, putter and the Staff Bag to go! 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I went in to this challenge thinking the King Tour irons had a very good chance of staying in my bag. I was keeping an open mind about the rest of the clubs and Cobra bag but not really expecting any to beat up what I was playing. Already the fairway woods are staying and if I had ordered the #4 King Tec Hybrid, that would be staying as well. And I still have wedges, putter and the Staff Bag to go! 

That’s very exciting to hear! Because cobra never seemed to be on the radar with callaway ping Taylormade and Titlest in the mix!

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip

2 minutes ago, OdinSnipes414 said:

That’s very exciting to hear! Because cobra never seemed to be on the radar with callaway ping Taylormade and Titlest in the mix!

... Amen my man. Of the probablly 75 iron sets I have played in my golfing life the Cobra MIM Tours are my favorites. I have been playing Cobra irons for years with an occasional Cobra driver in my bag like the Fly Z and F9. But the rest of their clubs have never made it into my bag until now. And I am very picky about my clubs. 🤪

24 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Amen my man. Of the probablly 75 iron sets I have played in my golfing life the Cobra MIM Tours are my favorites. I have been playing Cobra irons for years with an occasional Cobra driver in my bag like the Fly Z and F9. But the rest of their clubs have never made it into my bag until now. And I am very picky about my clubs. 🤪

I am as well I have had the ping Karsten IIs in my bag since I started playing and I don’t want to spoil my pure striving with somthing new! I’m more timid when it comes to irons than anything else since they are the clubs I can hit with confidence and consistency! 

I think @GolfSpy BOS needs to use his Cobra connections to pull some strings and get Rickie on a community call now that he’s the Rocket Mortgage champ! Timing couldn’t be better with the challenge in full swing! 😜

We’ve given our take, would only be right to hear his on the woods! 🤩

#LeftyGang

15 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

I think @GolfSpy BOS needs to use his Cobra connections to pull some strings and get Rickie on a community call now that he’s the Rocket Mortgage champ! Timing couldn’t be better with the challenge in full swing! 😜

... Great Idea! He could call right after asking Goodell to allow out of market NFL games on local TV,  MJ to know when their next game of Horse will be, invite Verlander over to pitch for some Home Run Derby at the park, have Federer join him in some pickleball doubles, take Taylor Swift up on her offer to play at his next kids birthday party and THEN Rickie to join in the Cobra Challenge! 👍

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Not surprisingly we have a similar take on our clubs. 👍 5 wood is pleeeenty long and one of the reasons I didn't order a 3 wood. And my 19* hybrid is too long as well. I should have ordered the 19* DI or the #4 King Tec hybrid but one miss out of an entire bag ain't too bad. Plus I have a DI and 4 hybrid I like so I'm still good. The only big difference is the TS1* is a pretty big head so not much different than the AJ, but the Stealth2 is much more compact from face to rear and just doesn't suit my eye. If it outperformed my gamer I would certainly get used to the elongated look but it came up just a little short for me. 

* Kinda interesting that Nelly Korda played a TS1 and went to the Stealth2 HD so size of the head didn't seem to bother her! 

I am one that refuses to look at other reviews, either on the forum or on the internet until my review is complete. I don't want to be swayed by someone else's review. I finished my write up on Friday except for the numbering X out of 5. After I hit submit, I read yours first as we are playing similar clubs. I chuckled because it was very similar thus confirming my review. Tomorrow I will be looking at reviews on the internet. I guess it's some sort of desire to validate my findings.

Funny I went with the TSI 1 because of Nelly's success with the Titleist. I got fitted without saying anything to the Titleist fitter and he fit me into the TSI1. My swing is more like a LPGA than a PGA anyway, so it made sense. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Great Idea! He could call right after asking Goodell to allow out of market NFL games on local TV,  MJ to know when their next game of Horse will be, invite Verlander over to pitch for some Home Run Derby at the park, have Federer join him in some pickleball doubles, take Taylor Swift up on her offer to play at his next kids birthday party and THEN Rickie to join in the Cobra Challenge! 👍

Hey, a guy can dream! 😂

#LeftyGang

44 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

Let me know as soon as that happens I’m game

Just because I was curious, here's what Rickie would be rocking if he were to partake in this challenge...

• Aerojet LS 9*
  • Aerojet LS 3w 13.5*
  • LTDx LS 5w, 17.5*
  • King Forged 54, 56, 58
  • Odyssey Versa Jailbird

How many strokes would you need to make things interesting?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Bringing up the rear...me? Woods review up now!  

*Spoiler alert - I'm a fan*

surprise-shocked-will-smith-wide-eyes-6g08ixliz6rajakm.gif.c819dc2f0bb1a5f4152a02cf182f3355.gif

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

2 minutes ago, TSauer said:

here's what Rickie would be rocking if he were to partake in this challenge...

... When Rickie texted me to ask should he stick with his MB's or put the new King Tours in his bag all I had to say was "You know how I feel about playing MB's". The rest of course is now history. 

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

unny I went with the TSI 1 because of Nelly's success with the Titleist. I got fitted without saying anything to the Titleist fitter and he fit me into the TSI1. My swing is more like a LPGA than a PGA anyway, so it made sense. 

... I tip my cap to anyone that can play a driver without caring about the size and shape* just the performance. . I was shocked Nelly played that big of a head when the TSi3 was available but she likes to see a draw off the tee. Swing for a straight flight but look up and see a draw that expands the fairway starting right and always moving back left. Hard to argue with that. Right there with you on the LPGA swing too, but those ladies can play some serious golf. And I still thank you for the 7 wood as I don't think I would have ordered one without your recommendation. Not the best fit for my summer course but it will be very valuable on my winter course where I find myself between a 4 hybrid and a 5 wood more than a few times. 

* within reason of course as nobody wants to look down at a Nike Sumo SQ. 🤪

Squatch.jpg.webp.ceb48e1e38127945bcbc0e6e53e62411.webp

IMG_5115.jpeg.6ac2358f7347c92176f5a2eb17ce8047.jpeg

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I tip my cap to anyone that can play a driver without caring about the size and shape* just the performance. . I was shocked Nelly played that big of a head when the TSi3 was available but she likes to see a draw off the tee. Swing for a straight flight but look up and see a draw that expands the fairway starting right and always moving back left. Hard to argue with that. Right there with you on the LPGA swing too, but those ladies can play some serious golf. And I still thank you for the 7 wood as I don't think I would have ordered one without your recommendation. Not the best fit for my summer course but it will be very valuable on my winter course where I find myself between a 4 hybrid and a 5 wood more than a few times. 

* within reason of course as nobody wants to look down at a Nike Sumo SQ. 🤪

Squatch.jpg.webp.ceb48e1e38127945bcbc0e6e53e62411.webp

Or this beauty:

IMG_0895.png.a4f3adc56b895eed161a780cfbf0671e.png

Those were strange days, indeed.

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

37 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Just because I was curious, here's what Rickie would be rocking if he were to partake in this challenge...

• Aerojet LS 9*
  • Aerojet LS 3w 13.5*
  • LTDx LS 5w, 17.5*
  • King Forged 54, 56, 58
  • Odyssey Versa Jailbird

How many strokes would you need to make things interesting?

Assuming slick Rick plays to a +8, give or take a stroke, I’d have to get at an absolute bare minimum 35 strokes. The way he’s been playing lately, it would probably be more. Most definitely more. 😂

#LeftyGang

11 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

Those were strange days, indeed.

.... Kinda hard to believe Titleist released this driver:

titleist-907-d1-1w-p3078-03.jpg.91168b6483631ce2cb8bc6a8cc04f8af.jpg

1 minute ago, chisag said:

.... Kinda hard to believe Titleist released this driver:

titleist-907-d1-1w-p3078-03.jpg.91168b6483631ce2cb8bc6a8cc04f8af.jpg

I remember that monstrosity as well.

But maybe this takes the cake for odd equipment design:

IMG_0896.png.97b39926fb8031e88a8b4edce0741984.png

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

My buddy Mark still uses his HiBore fairly regularly.  It was his driver back in high school and when his more current driver starts giving him fits he pulls out the HiBore and hits it dead straight every time.  Unfortunately it takes him roughly half a round to stop playing for his normal hook so it's a little ugly at first...

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

2 minutes ago, Ben Joest said:

I remember that monstrosity as well.

But maybe this takes the cake for odd equipment design:

... Oh boy, I met the Cleveland Engineers that designed the Hi Bore and they were furious Sales/Marketing released it before they thought it was even close to being ready. It had some serious spin issues. They made a much better version with the next years Hi Bore but still not where they wanted and the reviews were brutal and the rep on golf forums even worse. They finally got it where they wanted it and it was an impressive driver that was seriously long and forgiving but by now it's reputation was trashed and they couldn't get anyone to even try it. I still think if they had waited and not released it til version 3, they might still be making them.