Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3 Hybrid or 5 Wood?

aguybadatgolf

11 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

I currently have a 3w and a 3H. I’ve heard a lot of positives about adding a 5W but I feel it would be similar in yardages to my 3H. Curious what people have to say. 

thanks! 

I carry a 3W for 230 plus, 2H for 216 to 228, 4H for 200 to 212, and 5H for 188 to 199. The distances can vary depending on wind, temp and lie. However, I find this the perfect set up for my game. 

Play like a champion today!

I play a 5W over a 3 hybrid.  I also have a 3 hybrid in my bag and I use it for a "Texas Wedge" for putting off the green and also for low shots to get out of trouble.  The 5W is easier to hit.  

I'm 72 years old and I enjoy playing golf at least once a week.

PXG 0211 Driver 10.5, with graphite senior shaft

PXG 0211 3W, 5W and 7W, with graphite senior shaft

Cobra F-Max Hybrid set 6,5,4 Hybrids, 7,8,9,PW,GW, graphite senior shaft (I'm old)

C3i 59 degree Sand Wedge, steel shaft

Odyssey DFX Double Wide 33" putter

5 minutes ago, Javs said:

I carry a 3W for 230 plus, 2H for 216 to 228, 4H for 200 to 212, and 5H for 188 to 199. The distances can vary depending on wind, temp and lie. However, I find this the perfect set up for my game. 

For me, it’s a 4-wood for 230-245 yards (for some courses where there are shorter par 4 holes and no really long par 5s, I drop the 4w and set my 5w to 18* and use that for 218-230 yards). The next club in my bag always has 21* of loft (either a 7w paired with the 4w, or a 4h paired with the 5w), and then either a 24* 5h or a 5-iron. These combinations cover everything from 180 to 215 yards.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Personally switched from 5 wood to 3H.  Was hitting the 5 wood to close to the 3 wood.  The modern 3H is a great club and more versatile than 5W.   For me it also gaps consistently between 4 iron and 3W.  However, when I was a worse golfer loved the 5W.           

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

Looks like you have some answers. The courses you play- heavy rough, windy, favors lower running shots- go hybrid. Little rough, wind, need to get the ball up, go 5 wood. Personally, a smallish head 5 wood does the rough just as well as a hybrid. You can also learn to knock it down in the wind. 

But why choose one or the other? Have both and put one in the bag depending on the conditions and the course. 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Last year, I played a 3 hybrid and a 3 iron. I struggled with both. I always felt like I was fidgeting to get the club face square with the hybrid. I went for a fitting and hit the hybrid and the 5 wood. I decided to go with the 5 wood and could not be happier. I can hit it off of the tee and in the fairway with no issues. If the rough is too thick, I am hitting an iron no matter what I have in my bag. I don't have an issue playing the 5 wood out of moderate rough.

Sub 70 659 TC irons

Sub70 949X 5-wood

Taylormade M4 driver and 3-wood

TaylormadeSpider X putter

Pro V1 

Big fan of the 3H. Very versitile club, forgiving and can really crank it with no fear. I don't hit woods off the deck that great, I don't carry a 3w either, use a 2 h (16degree). Love it's forgiveness. 

My distances have been really similar for both but I have find more consistency with the 3 hybrid. 3 hybrid (use to be an older 2 hybrid in previous years) has found the permanent spot in the bag though.

• Hits out of the rough better, though I have found I hit it almost exclusively off the tee. But when the driver isn't working, it gets pulled a lot
  • 5w tends to balloon on me and that leads to a lack of consistency. Now I'm admittedly a pretty steep swinger, so I don't need help adding spin
  • When hitting both well, carry numbers are really similar but 3h gets more roll out.

Driver: Mizuno STZ, HZRDUS Smoke Green 60S, 9.5 Degree 

3 Wood:  Taylormade M2 (2019)

Hybrids:  Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21 degree, Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 4

Irons:  Adams XTD (Looking to upgrade!)

Wedges:  Taylormade Milled Grind

Putter:  Odyssey #7

Ball: Vice Pro Plus, Taylormade Tp5x, Kirkland 

Push Cart Mafia - Clicgear 4.0  (See more here)

Ive got both, but the 5 wood sits in the closet.  
The hybrid is easier to hit, plus I find I can use the 3 hybrid for low, keep it out of the tree branches (get out of jail) types of shots.
(Trees should be banned on golf courses!)  I have also been able to use if for some interesting chips around the green.

Driver - Callaway Paradym 9*  w/Fuji Ventus Blue stiff 

Fairway - Callaway Epic Speed Heavenwood

Utility Wood - Callaway Apex UW 19*

Hybrids - 3 , 4, 5 Ping G425

Irons - 5 - PW Ping G425

Wedges -50, 54 Mizuno S23 , 58 Maltby Max Milled

Putter - L.A.B. Mezz 1 Max

Bag - Mizuno

Cart - Alphard powered Caddy Tek 3 wheeler

Silence is Golden, Duct tape is Silver.

I think the 3 hybrid is more versatile, particularly much better out of the rough, and in my experience, a little easier to hit.  But if you are always in the fairway ....

I'm a TaylorMade convert on the Driver, but still a Callaway Apex iron guy

For me the decision comes down to how well you strike the ball with each. Some of us just don’t hit hybrids well and will do better with 5, 7 and even 9 woods.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5

Fairway: Callaway Mavrik Heavenwood

Utility: Ping g400 Crossover

Irons: Ping g700 4 - PW

Wedges: 50, 54, 58 Ping Glide Forged (Desert Stamped)

Putter: Ping Darby

Bag: Nevr Loose

Ball: Supersoft (Yellow)

IMO the only thing to add to your bag is equipment that's proven to be a benefit. Don't add it just because it sounds good. Put it through it's paces and make it prove it's worth. Something to consider is what need is the club completing in your bag.

That being said, as a 20 handicap you might not even need to focus on a 5W. I would suggest for you that at your lvl right now, of your practice time 60% of your time should be focused on shots @ or less than 150 yrds with various clubs. One summer I spent DAYS just figuring out how far every club goes with a 3/4 swing. I tried to make a swing that I could easily repeat under pressure and see what happens - 30% is the driver, you have to get off the tee box. Don't be afraid of it just figure it out - 10% is lag putting, understand feel for green speeds and begin making 2 putts more common than 3 putts. It could be just the courses I play or the tees I choose, but rarely do I have to hit DR, 3W or DR, 3H on par 4s. On Par 5s I'm looking for a distance for my 3rd so maybe 3W is the 2nd shot or maybe 5i is the best.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you mate.

Driver: Titleist TSI3 9.0*

3W: Taylormade Stealth 15*

3H: Ben Hogan VKTR 18*

4H: Sub 70 24*

Irons (5-PW): Titleist MB 712

Wedges: Callaway Forged (2012) 60*/56*/52*

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

Ball: Pro V1/ Pro V1x (left dash)

Pretty much in the 3h camp - primary bag has 3w set @ 14.5 and 3h @ 19.  Have a 5w that do occasionally game, but I am really comfortable w/3h - tee, fairway, rough, chip/putts…very, very versatile to me.  Also the smaller head I prefer.  

WITB? Ping G400 SFT w/Aldila Mamba shaft R flex; Ping G410 3w; Ping G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26); TaylorMade SLDR 5i (interchanges w/5h)-PW -stock graphite shafts Rflex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -Rflex and Odyssey AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

I think this all comes down to what you feel comfortable hitting. If you have and hit a hybrid better already than your 3W, then I'd lean towards the hybrid, and vice versa. Personally, I'd lean towards the 5W.. I love my old 19 degree Cleveland 2 hybrid, which I believe are now 3 hybrids at that loft. I figured I could hit a 4 hybrid to replace my 4 iron, but I have gone through two different 4 hybrids and can't hit them. If I didn't have my 2 hybrid, I'd get a 5W. Just my experience.

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

Thanks all for the feedback. There’s a lot to consider. Sounds like I need to go to a launch monitor and hit a 5W and see how it compares. I’m just now hitting my 3w consistently but I’ve always been decent with a hybrid curious to see the comparison. 

Edited by aguybadatgolf

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

3 hybrid 

PXG 0311 Gen5 driver Diamana shaft

Callaway Epic 3 wood Hazrdus Yellow shaft

Sub 70 699 v2 Pro Irons Modus3 Tour 105 shafts

Sub 70 949 Pro 5 hybrid Hazrdus Smoke Black RBX Shaft

Titleist 3&4 H2 816 hybrids Diamante Blue Board shafts

Vokey TVD K grind 54 & 58 degree wedges

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack putter KBS Tour putter shaft.

I prefer my 3 hybrid. I recently bought a 5wood but I think the hybrid is more versatile.

its easier to hit from uneven lies.

Avid Golfer Hunter and Fisherman.

Love being outside!

You just have to try both to see how they work for you. In my case the 5 wood and 3H are pretty close to the same distance. I hit the 3H much lower and distance comes from runout. I find the 5W much easier and more fun to hit.  60% of the time I'll take my 5W unless...I know the winds will be blowing 20mph or more, then I'll opt for the 3H. Ultimately do what feels comfortable to you. 

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I use a 3W, 2H and a 4H adjusted slightly down and then 5I is my next struggle with my 3W for so long that i never considered a 5W the 2H was filling the gap. Starting to lose my fear of hitting my 3W that I'd consider a 5W now if I already had one to try.

My 2H, 4H is so versatile for off the tee long par 3's short Par 4's and bumps around the green feel like it is way more forgiving than I would guess a 3I or 2I.

Really would like to get more data and swings as to what would suit whether I should put a 5W in instead of one of the Hybrids especially around my course here in Brissy QLD.

Hit it harder it goes further right? 

I carry a 3w and a 4h. I've considered adding a 3h to my bag. My hybrids are usually my favorite, most consistent clubs. Not the biggest fan of hitting a wood off the deck unless I'm too far out for my hybrid. My 3w is mainly a driver alternative for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

My ball flight is on the higher side and I don't play many courses with really deep rough so my fitter suggested the 3 hybrid.  It's one of the easiest clubs in my bag to hit and I've learned to control my ball flight much better than before.  I've considered a 5 wood or even a 7 wood for my next set but I might only use those on courses with deeper rough.

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I play 15 degree 3 wood and 19 degree 3 hybrid.  I can hit the 3 wood higher than the hybrid as I have the hybrid set as open as I can get it which de-lofts the club as I fight a hook with the hybrids.  If I went 5 wood, it would have to be one I could hit the same distance as the 3h and give me some versatility.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

I've been rebuilding my bag over the last year. Always played a 3-hybrid during my time in high-school and college golf, didn't use it often but appreciated the versatility it provided in deep rough situations. Now, i've become way more fond of a 5-wood in place of the 3-H. My launch angle is slighter higher, adds more spin and provides a softer and steeper descent into the greens to stop close. This is incredibly beneficial to me in long par-5 situations. Hope this helps your decision. 

~Go Low & Stay Low.

What's in my :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130S Camo:

|> Driver - :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5° w. Diamana TB Series 60 S

|> 3 Wood -  :titleist-small: TSR2 15° w. Fujikura Motore F1 X 7S

|> 5 Wood - :titleist-small: TSR2 18° w. Fujikura Motore F1 X 7S 

|> Irons - :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII (4i-5i) + ZX7 MKII (6i-PW) w. KBS $-Taper 120

|> Wedges - :vokey-small:(50.08F,54.12D,58.10S) w. KBS $-Taper 120

|> Putter - :bettinardi-small:BB1-LN w. KBS GPS Tour Shaft

|> Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

|> Glove - :mizuno-small: Elite

|> Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet Plus 4

|> Shoes - :footjoy-small: Hyperflex Carbon

*If you need a fitting, visit Club Champion and use code HEWI1018 at checkout for 50% off