Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Best Ball for High Handicap (19) and High Swing Speed

Hi all!

I’ve been playing for a little over a year now and so far have just played cheaper balls, whatever I found on the course that was in decent shape, and in the last couple months I’ve been playing a box of Vice Pro balls. I’m wanting to pick one ball to game for the rest of the season to limit variables but am struggling to find a ball for me. Most high handicap balls are not made for my swing. I average about 108mph with driver. 

thanks in advance!

Tester for PingS159 Wedges

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° with UST Mamiya LIN-Q Gunmetal - X

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

We have the same handicap, I swing a bit lower speed wise but play Maxfli Tour balls.  For me, I know im going to lose maybe 2 balls a round, and its a good balance between performance and price. I know im still getting a good quality ball, that is consistent from one to the next, while not crying when it most likely finds its way into the woods or the bottom of the water feature.  Give em a try

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

Don’t base anything on handicap. Everyone gets their handicap in different ways. Some struggle off the tee but are good or ok with irons and wedges (I play with a couple guys that are hovering around 10 most of the season who are like this) others can hit driver fine but suck with irons or short game.

The best ball for your from anyone on the forum is as good as a guess as you would make.

The best ball is the one that works best for you from tee to green. What you need to do is your own testing on the course. Take whatever number of the balls you like. Putt with them and see which one is best for you, note that as well as how then others perform. Then hit some chips, then some pitches, some full swings with scoring clubs, some swings with long/mid irons and then tee shots. Noting which works best in each area along with how the others perform.

Understand that some are going to work better than others in certain areas and decide which ball works best overall.

As far as what balls to choose either pick the ones you have played and like, the ones that you think you might like or whatever suggestions anyone throws in this thread. Then go test

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, Triple_Putt said:

We have the same handicap, I swing a bit lower speed wise but play Maxfli Tour balls.  For me, I know im going to lose maybe 2 balls a round, and its a good balance between performance and price. I know im still getting a good quality ball, that is consistent from one to the next, while not crying when it most likely finds its way into the woods or the bottom of the water feature.  Give em a try

I was eyeing those. I’m in the same boat I can count on losing 2-3 a round so although I could play a higher end ball I’d prefer not to. I’ll give em a shot!

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100 (+1", 3° Upright) - X 

Wedges - :callaway-logo-1: 50° Jaws MD5, :callaway-logo-1: 54° Jaws MD5, :titleist-small: 58° Vokey SM8 

Putter - :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #2 Bronze , :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter (Trying something new), 🦓 Zebra Golf AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro (depends on what I can get a deal on) 

40 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Don’t base anything on handicap. Everyone gets their handicap in different ways. Some struggle off the tee but are good or ok with irons and wedges (I play with a couple guys that are hovering around 10 most of the season who are like this) others can hit driver fine but suck with irons or short game.

The best ball for your from anyone on the forum is as good as a guess as you would make.

The best ball is the one that works best for you from tee to green. What you need to do is your own testing on the course. Take whatever number of the balls you like. Putt with them and see which one is best for you, note that as well as how then others perform. Then hit some chips, then some pitches, some full swings with scoring clubs, some swings with long/mid irons and then tee shots. Noting which works best in each area along with how the others perform.

Understand that some are going to work better than others in certain areas and decide which ball works best overall.

As far as what balls to choose either pick the ones you have played and like, the ones that you think you might like or whatever suggestions anyone throws in this thread. Then go test

Thanks for the tip! Do you know a site or store that sells by the sleeve? I’d love to a side by side like that just don’t want to by a dozen of each ball. 

29 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Thanks for the tip! Do you know a site or store that sells by the sleeve? I’d love to a side by side like that just don’t want to by a dozen of each ball. 

Some pro shops sell sleeves, I don’t know if places like dicks, 2ndswing, pga superstore, golf galaxy sell sleeves. I buy the majority of my balls either with the titliest loyalty buy 3 get one free or from my local shop at the range 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I am a die hard pro-v1 user but last season started using the maxfli tour x balls due to a recommendation from a friend/playing partner. I was really intrigued by their CG technology claims. Honestly for the price I was seeing more consistent tee shots and marginally less spin around the greens compared to pro-v1. As @aguybadatgolf said, For the money I’d give the maxfli tour ball a try especially if you can find a sleeve in your local pro shop first. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

Use the best urethane ball you don't mind losing. I wouldn't recommend spending $50/dozen if you're going to lose half of them each time you play. Start with the Kirkland or Maxfli and go from there.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I have a higher speed like you... Playing Prov1 and Vice Pro cause me more headaches off the teebox than if I play a Vice Pro Plus or a Prov1x. You need something for a higher swing speed... A lot of guys like the Snell models, I have tried just about every ball I can get my hands on and I keep coming back to the Vice Pro Plus in white (colors are great but the dont hold up as well as a hi viz from titleist) -- If anything were to come close for me, I would say the Wilson Staff and Tried as well as the ODIN balls (you might really like these because theyre very affordable)

I have nothing bad to say about the Maxfli balls... I just think the ones listed above play better for me off the tee (112-115 swing speed)

1 hour ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

Use the best urethane ball you don't mind losing. I wouldn't recommend spending $50/dozen if you're going to lose half of them each time you play. Start with the Kirkland or Maxfli and go from there.

High Handicapper with a fast swing speed is a death wish, IMO with those spinny kirklands... You will see a ton of curveballs out of bounds IMO. 

:ping-small: G430 LST - Graphite Design Tour AD DI6 XS

:callaway-small: AI Smoke Hybrid 3 & 5 - LA Golf A Series 105 XS

:srixon-small: ZX5 MKII 5i-AW - :Nippon: 1150 GH XS

:ping-small: - ChipR

:cobra-small: - Black SnakeBite 53 & 57

:scotty-small: - Super Select Golo 6.5

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

:Ogio:  

:Arccos:

Several guys in the top 25 of swing speeds on the pga tour play Prov1 including #1 Cameron champ.

The Prov1 is a high swing speed ball.

Peoples issues with “headaches” or issues with lots of movement of the ball off the tee is because of spin. You need to find a ball that reduces spin or correct either contact point on the face or fix swing path and/or face angle.

The spin aspect is why you need to test balls in all areas of the game to find what works best tee to green. You might need less spin off the driver but more spin around the green or with short irons. And you may have to sacrifice the spin on short irons to have a ball that plays better off the tee instead.

Its why I can’t play the left dash prov1x because there’s not enough spin on my irons and mishits on driver are penal. Same for the Bridgestone Tour B and BX 

2 hours ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

I have played a couple sleeves of Kirklands I got from my brother. I like the feel but they get really spin my with my driver. I’ll try the Maxifly, sounds like a somewhat “hidden” gem. 

1 hour ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I have a higher speed like you... Playing Prov1 and Vice Pro cause me more headaches off the teebox than if I play a Vice Pro Plus or a Prov1x. You need something for a higher swing speed... A lot of guys like the Snell models, I have tried just about every ball I can get my hands on and I keep coming back to the Vice Pro Plus in white (colors are great but the dont hold up as well as a hi viz from titleist) -- If anything were to come close for me, I would say the Wilson Staff and Tried as well as the ODIN balls (you might really like these because theyre very affordable)

I have nothing bad to say about the Maxfli balls... I just think the ones listed above play better for me off the tee (112-115 swing speed)

High Handicapper with a fast swing speed is a death wish, IMO with those spinny kirklands... You will see a ton of curveballs out of bounds IMO. 

Thanks for the feedback! My miss is a push but I have noticed the softer balls turn that push into almost a slice. I like the vice pro around and on the green so I’ll give the pro plus a shot!

5 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Thanks for the feedback! My miss is a push but I have noticed the softer balls turn that push into almost a slice. I like the vice pro around and on the green so I’ll give the pro plus a shot!

You are probably creating more spin with the softer ball thus causing the offline shot to be more offline.

This is as much a swing problem as a ball problem 

53 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Several guys in the top 25 of swing speeds on the pga tour play Prov1 including #1 Cameron champ.

Peoples issues with “headaches” or issues with lots of movement of the ball off the tee is because of spin. You need to find a ball that reduces spin or correct either contact point on the face or fix swing path and/or face angle.

The spin aspect is why you need to test balls in all areas of the game to find what works best tee to green. You might need less spin off the driver but more spin around the green or with short irons. And you may have to sacrifice the spin on short irons to have a ball that plays better off the tee instead.

Its why I can’t play the left dash prov1x because there’s not enough spin on my irons and mishits on driver are penal. Same for the Bridgestone Tour B and BX 

The area of my game I am most confident about is 100 yards and in. I practice a ton with my wedges so the ability to hit the driver  300 yards (+,- 10 yards, that’s roughly my average total distance) in the fairway is very important for me. My best rounds have been when I am hitting driver well so I really only need to hit up to a 6i. Any balls that are better for people that generate a lot of spin off the tee? I play with a Cobra LTDSx LS with a Linq Gunmetal shaft so low launch low spin everything and I spin it right around 2800 when I’m finding the middle of the face. If it’s of the toe I’m not seeing that ball again. 

14 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

You are probably creating more spin with the softer ball thus causing the offline shot to be more offline.

This is as much a swing problem as a ball problem 

Yea I’m working on starting my swing with the hips and getting a little more over the top to help prevent that right miss

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I played AVX and PROv1 until I switch my driver shaft to the Ventus TR blue... now the Prov1 is useless and the Prov1x is perfect... 

:taylormade-small: TP5x Yellow / :titleist-small: Left Dash / :bridgestone-small:B X / :srixon-small: ZStar 🔹

4 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

I played AVX and PROv1 until I switch my driver shaft to the Ventus TR blue... now the Prov1 is useless and the Prov1x is perfect... 

guess you needed more spin which is why the prov1x works better than the prov1.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

39 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

The area of my game I am most confident about is 100 yards and in. I practice a ton with my wedges so the ability to hit the driver  300 yards (+,- 10 yards, that’s roughly my average total distance) in the fairway is very important for me. My best rounds have been when I am hitting driver well so I really only need to hit up to a 6i. Any balls that are better for people that generate a lot of spin off the tee? I play with a Cobra LTDSx LS with a Linq Gunmetal shaft so low launch low spin everything and I spin it right around 2800 when I’m finding the middle of the face. If it’s of the toe I’m not seeing that ball again. 

Again as discussed there’s no single ball or ball that can be said will do this. It is dependent on the golfer. For some it could be a low spin ball like the left dash or whatever callaways version is. It needs to ne tested on the course. Spin is going to be dependent on the dynamic launch the golfer delivers, the design of the club, where context is made. It’s why I keep saying balls have to be tested to see what works. 

30 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Yea I’m working on starting my swing with the hips and getting a little more over the top to help prevent that right miss

I would be very careful with developing an over the top swing. There are good players that have a slight ott swing but they have good face control and don’t impart a lot of spin, but this type of swing can lead to bad face angle and face to other relationship. If you are having spin issues on driver now I’m suspecting you are already ott with bad contact point on face and a bad face to path relationship

26 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

so the shaft change probably had an influence on you deliver the club that changed how you deliver the club that cussed a chance where on face contact is made and potentially your path and face angle.

These are things that need to be looked at and then how they change with a loft, head or shaft change. Shafts don’t spin or launch. 

@RickyBobby_PR Thanks again for the feedback! I actually do a really good job finding the middle of the face I just need to get ride of my push.

2 hours ago, anotherburntsteak said:

That's a good point. I would agree with you that the Maxfli X or Vice Pro Plus would be a good option for a low spin ball. My overall point is two fold.

1. Higher handicaps are made uncomfortable by playing an expensive ball. If you are worried about losing the ball you're playing, it's hard to focus and commit to the shot. Play a less expensive ball until you get down to losing about 1 a round.

2. IMO there is zero reason to play a surlyn covered ball. With the amount of affordable urethane options in the DTC branch, or being able to walk into DSG or Costco at anytime and pick up Maxfli and Kirkland, why play a Noodle or a SuperSoft?

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

20 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

@RickyBobby_PR Thanks again for the feedback! I actually do a really good job finding the middle of the face I just need to get ride of my push.

That’s a face angle issue or potentially a path issue as well. This has to be taken into consideration when addressing ball flight. I could hit middle of then face but if I have a closed face I’m going to hit the ball left, if my path is out of whack i could end up hitting snap hooks or pulls or end up with a big left to right ball flight.

Middle of the face is only a piece of the picture but also not the most optimal point of contact. 

This is where you want contact to be. Within about 3/8” circle of the dot.

F44E3458-1A4D-4F09-B28C-C334654C4607.png

23 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

That’s a face angle issue or potentially a path issue as well. This has to be taken into consideration when addressing ball flight. I could hit middle of then face but if I have a closed face I’m going to hit the ball left, if my path is out of whack i could end up hitting snap hooks or pulls or end up with a big left to right ball flight.

Middle of the face is only a piece of the picture but also not the most optimal point of contact. 

This is where you want contact to be. Within about 3/8” circle of the dot.

F44E3458-1A4D-4F09-B28C-C334654C4607.png

The more you know!

I agree with some others on here that you need to evaluate your game - why are you a 19 and what do your different shots look like? I'm also in your handicap range (currently a 17 but had been around 20 for years) and I've identified that my driver is the problem. I also have a high swing speed that generates TONS of spin and thusly my drives are prone to a 275 yard slice that resembles a 747 banking into the clouds. So a K Sig or ProV1x are not for me. I used the 2021 MGS Ball Test to identify the balls that generated the least amount of spin at high swing speeds with a driver. Some I identified to try are Titleist AVX, Titleist Tour Speed, and Vice Pro Plus. I'd start there (2023 ball test coming later this year) and see if you can find some winners.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"

2 minutes ago, FightingScot82 said:

I agree with some others on here that you need to evaluate your game - why are you a 19 and what do your different shots look like? I'm also in your handicap range (currently a 17 but had been around 20 for years) and I've identified that my driver is the problem. I also have a high swing speed that generates TONS of spin and thusly my drives are prone to a 275 yard slice that resembles a 747 banking into the clouds. So a K Sig or ProV1x are not for me. I used the 2021 MGS Ball Test to identify the balls that generated the least amount of spin at high swing speeds with a driver. Some I identified to try are Titleist AVX, Titleist Tour Speed, and Vice Pro Plus. I'd start there (2023 ball test coming later this year) and see if you can find some winners.

Thank you! That is definitely why I’m a higher handicap. If I’m swing well and hitting it straight I have a solid chance at shooting in the 80s if I’m pushing or slicing I’m over 100. 

Did some testing last night. Only ball not shown that I played was a TP5. Ranked each ball on the back 9 of my home course to see what I could notice. Specially focusing off the tee. 

Going to do some more work over the next few days as we have a ton of events at my club starting up but the results (on the course/no launch monitor work) was stunning. Wilson Staff and TP5 were the best. Followed by ProV1x, Snell and the Callaway XLS easily the worst preforming. 

I did not have any Vice Pro Plus available but will today so going to throw that in and an AVX (current gamer)

I hadn’t hit the TP5 in a while but was blown away how it preformed for me yesterday. Wilson stuff is so good right now for the price. 

IMG_5194.jpeg

36 minutes ago, anotherburntsteak said:

Did some testing last night. Only ball not shown that I played was a TP5. Ranked each ball on the back 9 of my home course to see what I could notice. Specially focusing off the tee. 

Going to do some more work over the next few days as we have a ton of events at my club starting up but the results (on the course/no launch monitor work) was stunning. Wilson Staff and TP5 were the best. Followed by ProV1x, Snell and the Callaway XLS easily the worst preforming. 

I did not have any Vice Pro Plus available but will today so going to throw that in and an AVX (current gamer)

I hadn’t hit the TP5 in a while but was blown away how it preformed for me yesterday. Wilson stuff is so good right now for the price. 

Seems like you might need a ball with more spin.  Didn’t look it up but based on 2021 MGS ball test I recall the TP5 and V1x being on the higher spin side.  when the 2023 ball test is complete you can do some comparisons of the balls to determine others that might work well…or just go look at the 2021 results.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Seems like you might need a ball with more spin.  Didn’t look it up but based on 2021 MGS ball test I recall the TP5 and V1x being on the higher spin side.  when the 2023 ball test is complete you can do some comparisons of the balls to determine others that might work well…or just go look at the 2021 results.  

Spent a lot of time on the ‘21 list. Excited to see the new list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/24/2023 at 2:01 PM, aguybadatgolf said:

Thank you! That is definitely why I’m a higher handicap. If I’m swing well and hitting it straight I have a solid chance at shooting in the 80s if I’m pushing or slicing I’m over 100. 

I concur with many, cnosil had the most primary point in this discussion.  Whatever ball you are playing make sure that the cost of it to you, doesn't figure in to looking for it.  If a cursory look, and dropping another and playing on isn't what occurs, then you are playing a ball too expensive for you.  Pace of Play!

I don't know anything about spin, etc., etc.  I saw a video about balls, and the guy said.  The construction of NO  BALL is going to make the result of a BAD SWING GOOD......BUT, when you do make a good swing don't you want the benefit of what a premium ball can give you.  Now again many have "crunched" the numbers on tracman, and other ways.  This may be an option for you, if this is what it is going to take for you to "feel comfortable" that you are playing the right ball.

Some believe that "premium" is hype, some don't.  But most all of us seem to use "premium brand" equipment, becuase presumably we think its better.  Cost is a factor I understand completely.

As a player you need to keep an accurate tally of how many rounds you play in a year, the cost of those rounds, and how many balls you actually lose in a season.  Someone mentioned it, and they are absolutely correct.  If you are going to play 3 times a season, and lose 12 Pro V1's, that is not cost effective those lost $55 pro v's added $18.00 to each round.  But as you play more, pay more, and hopefully  lose fewer balls, the actual cost of lost premium balls is really not very much.

I played 43 times last year, and spend a little over $1200 on cost.  Losing  around 4 dozen balls for the season, adds 0.93 cents a round at each level per cost of balls at $35, $45, or $55 a dozen.  So I can stock up at the end of the year, and actually get Z-Stars for $35 a dozen from Dicks, instead of retail of $45 during the year.  I use Z-Star because they were the first YELLOW BALL, and I'm just stuck on them.  So there it is.  If you play enough golf in a year, and lose 4-5 dozen balls in a year, for the cost of not buying a hot dog or a beer,  at the course each round you can use Pro V1's instead of some other ball for $35 a dozen.  AND REMEMBER   The new $500 driver  adds $5 a round for the first 100 rounds you use it, but almost nobody chooses to calculate that into the ACTUAL cost of their golf. 

Now maybe I'm a sucker, for believing that more expensive means better in general, but since I'm playing with $1900 Mavrik Pro Irons(WHICH NOW HAVING BEEN USED FOR RIGHT AROUND 132 ROUNDS ARE STILL ADDING $14.39 A ROUND)  I bought in 2020, , then why would I not spend  an additional $35-$55 a season and play with a "better" ball.

Now as you've seen many have crunched numbers, spin rates, and are comfortable with a ball being the best for them.  That is great, and if you crunch numbers(on spin etc.) and believe a mid priced ball is best for your game,  then this is what you are looking for in golf confidence.  This is my very long way of simply stating do not dismiss "premium balls" because of the $45, or $55 price tag per dozen.  In my opinion it can be a little more complicated than that.     

Edited by Stuka44

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

• 1 month later...
On 5/25/2023 at 10:32 AM, cnosil said:

I think you're onto something here.  I can't remember the TP5 #s but V1x and especially Wilson Staff Model are on the high end of the spin chart.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 5/24/2023 at 12:01 PM, aguybadatgolf said:

I would recommend low spin balls if accuracy is where shots are being lost as well as consideration for lower launching balls. Taylormade Tour Response, Tour B RX, AVX, Z Star (non-XV), Pro V1. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0