RoverRick

Swingweight, How could I have been so wrong?

OK, the good wife came back home from her trip and I asked her to leave the gram scale in some place that I could possibly find and had access to. :P Those of you who at least live with a woman understand what i mean. So I weighted and measured my clubs and according to http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT I found that my hybrids with the KBS Hybrid shafts are about a D7 and the Irons with the C Taper shaft come to about an E1 (5 iron) to E3 (PW). This is still a pretty heavy swing weight but it feels much more balanced. Also, somewhere along the was when calculating the weight of the tape, I was off a didget. I rolled tape around a piece of shaft and weighed it and it came out to 9 to 10 grams vs. 96 grams. Even so not the point was it made the club feel better balanced. My driver also calculates to E2.

Later this week, I will change these shafts out to the KBS Tours and see how those measure.

I did not and have never added a swing weight to the club head. I never felt the need but that may be because I like the chunkier head design. By that I mean the forged muscleback not the high tech cavity back with the thin face. think muscle back vs R7.

OK, the good wife came back home from her trip and I asked her to leave the gram scale in some place that I could possibly find and had access to. :P Those of you who at least live with a woman understand what i mean. So I weighted and measured my clubs and according to http://www.leaderboard.com/SWINGWEIGHT I found that my hybrids with the KBS Hybrid shafts are about a D7 and the Irons with the C Taper shaft come to about an E1 (5 iron) to E3 (PW). This is still a pretty heavy swing weight but it feels much more balanced. Also, somewhere along the was when calculating the weight of the tape, I was off a didget. I rolled tape around a piece of shaft and weighed it and it came out to 9 to 10 grams vs. 96 grams. Even so not the point was it made the club feel better balanced. My driver also calculates to E2.

Later this week, I will change these shafts out to the KBS Tours and see how those measure.

I did not and have never added a swing weight to the club head. I never felt the need but that may be because I like the chunkier head design. By that I mean the forged muscleback not the high tech cavity back with the thin face. think muscle back vs R7.

That was me talking about the weight of the tape, yea the 9 or 10 grams of weight seems like more reasonable for 5 wraps of build up, that's about 1.5 to 2 points towards the lighter swing weight side.

What, you don't know exactly where everything is after she puts it away without telling you? ;)

It's pretty hard to get to that high of SW without adding an extra inch to an extra inch and a half (+6 to +9 SW). Since you add midsize grips and tape, it seems odd the SW goes up that much, even with a relatively heavy shaft. I've measured my clubs at D0. I'll try out the website against my scale and see what it says.

As an aside, I found a nice article on Swing weight:

http://advancedballstriking.com/Swing_weights.pdf

What, you don't know exactly where everything is after she puts it away without telling you? ;)

It's pretty hard to get to that high of SW without adding an extra inch to an extra inch and a half (+6 to +9 SW). Since you add midsize grips and tape, it seems odd the SW goes up that much, even with a relatively heavy shaft. I've measured my clubs at D0. I'll try out the website against my scale and see what it says.

http://advancedballs...ing_weights.pdf

They are an extra half an inch long.

http://advancedballstriking.com/Swing_weights.pdf

I already had that PDF posted guess people over looked it, but thanks for the repost, guess it needed dragged out of my OP in this thread.

I already had that PDF posted guess people over looked it, but thanks for the repost, guess it needed dragged out of my OP in this thread.

Whoops, sorry JM!

Whoops, sorry JM!

nah it's cool, like I said it was on Page 1 in my OP at the bottom surrounded by text, no one saw it, but your right it is a good article :)

AS I was saying earlier, swing weight is dependent on flex in the KBS C-Taper, I just assumed X-Stiff since it was what I have dealt with. DG x100 (130g) ~ PX 6.5 (125g) ~ KBS C-Taper XS (130g), just still don't see where the 4 points lighter would come from in this situation unless the head is not at target weight.

They are an extra half an inch long.

So are mine. I think the issue may be how the club is measured? I just noticed that page only asks for total weight and balance point. I'm not sure how it's possible to measure without knowing the total club length as well.

Try this one if you know all the component weights: http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/graphics/orderportal/modules/swingweight.html

So are mine. I think the issue may be how the club is measured? I just noticed that page only asks for total weight and balance point. I'm not sure how it's possible to measure without knowing the total club length as well.

Try this one if you know all the component weights: http://www.hirekogolf.com/hireko/graphics/orderportal/modules/swingweight.html

Major elements into a swing weight

--> Shaft weight

--> Playing length

--> Balance point

--> Grip Weight

Minor Elements

--> Grip tape (double sided)

--> Grip Tape (build-up)

--> epoxy

--> ferrule

--> lie angle (3* will be one point)

Given majority of people don't have a digital swing weight scale that reads to a 10th of a decimal for swing weight, I can only give target head weights for a 130g shaft playing at 38.75" 3 iron 'old modern standard' or as i like to call it 'builders standard' to get a D2 result roughly.