Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Cleaning Club Grips

Hey Everyone, 

I play a couple times a month, clean my clubs fairly frequently but not necessarily after every round, although I do clean the faces after each shot to keep the spin on the wedges and irons as pure as I can. My question is does anyone know of a cleaner or technique that helps keep the tackiness and feel of the grips on the new side? Is there a product or process to keep  grips clean? Normal wear aside, especially on wedges, I'd really like to keep my grips as long as I can as I really don't want to keep spending money on new grips every time the irons start to slip a bit more. For argument's sake, I play Golf Pride Velvet grips on my Ping Irons and Titliest wedges

9 minutes ago, Scott.Green said:

Hey Everyone, 

I play a couple times a month, clean my clubs fairly frequently but not necessarily after every round, although I do clean the faces after each shot to keep the spin on the wedges and irons as pure as I can. My question is does anyone know of a cleaner or technique that helps keep the tackiness and feel of the grips on the new side? Is there a product or process to keep  grips clean? Normal wear aside, especially on wedges, I'd really like to keep my grips as long as I can as I really don't want to keep spending money on new grips every time the irons start to slip a bit more. For argument's sake, I play Golf Pride Velvet grips on my Ping Irons and Titliest wedges

Normally grips get dirty and loose their feel due to grease and sweat on your hands. 

Warm soapy water and a scrub or towel to get that off will do the trip. 

I normally wash my grips each week and after each round of it's really hot out.

I also usually dry them after and put grip side down after  in case any water leaks into the shafts.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I was going to say get some Lamkin GRIPES but it looks like they've been discontinued. I still have a full package of them, and they are perfect for grip cleaning if you can find them anyplace.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

6 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Normally grips get dirty and loose their feel due to grease and sweat on your hands. 

Warm soapy water and a scrub or towel to get that off will do the trip. 

I normally wash my grips each week and after each round of it's really hot out.

I also usually dry them after and put grip side down after  in case any water leaks into the shafts.

Same!

Regular dish soap works best for me; brings back the stickiness pretty quickly.

I use one of those green scrub pads and follow with a moist towel and let em air dry.

This is a *really* important thing to do. The grip is the only part you have total control over and I can recall too many shots where it slipped in my hands causing the face to open resulting in a bad shot.
DON'T OVERLOOK THIS!!

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Warm water with Dawn for rubber grips, just a damp towel for leather.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

At one point I had iomic grips on a lot of clubs and would clean them more often because they get discolored from a glove. I only have 1 on my driver now and I clean that grip more frequently than the rest (it's white) My routine is to use dish soap and water on my clubheads with a brush, then rinse and dry with a towel. After cleaning all the clubs I use that damp towel to clean the grip. 

Since switching to lamkin utx corded and crossline 360 on my FW and irons, I don't clean these grips as much because the corded feel is accentuated by having some grit and dirt and hand oil, maybe a dead bug or two, mixed in there imo.

Finding a way to turn birdies into bogeys since 1992. #TeamChunks

'23 Forum Tester: image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.png Elixir Golf Ball

WITB:image.png.3fd681db3510b6ca5b9cd8746bbb1447.pngTS2 10.5° @ 11.25° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgTensei blue AV 55 R graph•917f2 15° @ 16.5° Screenshot_20230525_003120_Chrome2.jpg.453ea23fc579d3ff5d81168fdd3d1632.jpgDiamana blue x5ct dialed 70 R graph•image.png.34e4547e173a54172ff78e7545cfce3c.pngStealth 22° image.png.3e3fd052b67b6f62d3666b666d7109fe.png Ventus red 6 (non-velo) R graph• image.png.8fb479c452fc063454e923dea514c13d.png699u 2i 17° image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png tgi 70 R graph•24° image.png.d2eb192c22d125fefbd3607df7e0b327.png Tour v 90 black pvd R steel•699 6i-PW image.png.9a4846088e26973fb7fe5624bddbdc81.png Tour 110 black pvd R steel• image.png.eca9fa52c016ce4745893f387fef46df.pngSM8 50°/08° @ 52°/10° SM8 stock steel• image.png.3a7bdc80b43a23d4e08c16f2f319cc28.pngJaws Full Toe 56°/12° Screenshot_20230525_002154_Google2.jpg.c2d23d7abfb8451e510d254517410b64.jpgDG Spinner TI steel •image.png.98634e318580c192c5682c5d7f2a763a.png c series DW 2.0 slant neck stock steel•image.png.13e1aa1ef13bc0a92bb27f2e4df082a9.pngPhantom 2 gps•Tour v3 rangefinder•image.png.9f90721cd28bc7b0a9c9a7080e1e9365.pngElixir golf ball•

Good stuff everyone! 
same goes for my collection of golf/baseball hats. Once the “sweat ring” is showing after a couple of rounds, dunk in a warm water dish soap solution for 30-40 second soak then gently brush ring around the cap area and hose rinse out on the deck. Air dry on a flat space or clipped to a hanging rack and you’re all set!

Ive got some 5year old hats with many rounds and wash cycles that look great! Just don’t over soak. Like 5 min or more or your cardboard bill will suffer integrity  

Titleist Tsi3/Ts2 woods and hybrids

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

Taylormade mallet or Odyssey White Hot center shaft putter. Depends on the day

I've used Dawn or 409 with a stiff nylon brush and aggressive scrubbing with warm water.  Thanks @Scott.Greenfor creating the thread... reminded me to go clean my grips 😊.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Also clean grips on a regular basis. Soap and water with an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry with towel.

Regarding golf hats- once the sweat rings show, I save up a few and then put them through the washing machine on gentle cold water. Spin dry then shape and air dry. Have probably too many hats! But some are 15-20 years old and still look great. Of course with so many no one gets more than a few wears per season 😎

“Take dead aim” - I always do but my swing doesn’t always cooperate!

I don’t use a glove so I clean everything pretty regularly. I like to make a little bowl of regular dish soap soapy water and brush the grips off with a stiff horse hair brush, rinse and dry. Not sure where the brush came from, but it seems to work better than the nylon bristles or a sponge for what it’s worth. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

All the suggestions for cleaning grips will work.  Most important thing is to actually do it 🙂   As to the hats, there's a product out there called Hatsaver.  You spray it on the OUTSIDE of the hat when it's new where you would normally get sweat stains.....Voila !  No stains ever appear.  It's amazing stuff

Taylor Made Stealth 2 driver w/Tensei White S, Cobra F9 3W & 5W w/Hazrdus Black S,  Mizuno Pro221s 4-PW S-300s .75" long,   TM MG series 50,54,58.  GP Z-Grip, Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter.   

13 minutes ago, toncol said:

As to the hats, there's a product out there called Hatsaver.  You spray it on the OUTSIDE of the hat when it's new where you would normally get sweat stains.....Voila !  No stains ever appear.  It's amazing stuff

Whoa! What an awesome community! 
I’m learning so much. Thanks for the Hat tricks mentioned

Titleist Tsi3/Ts2 woods and hybrids

Titlesit AP3 irons

Clevland CBX wedges

Taylormade mallet or Odyssey White Hot center shaft putter. Depends on the day

I have been using  soapy water with brush and wipe with towel, let dry for about 20 minutes and they are good as new. I don’t think using sandpaper on grips is a good idea, it will wear a grip out pretty fast.

It does pain me when I see people just toss their clubs on the ground, the dirt they pick up adds to slick grips. These guys will only change grips when they get new clubs about every 6-7 years.

Driver Mavrik Subzero set to 9.5. 
Rougue 4 wood 16.5

Titleist 818 hybrid 21

Callaway Apex pro black dot 4 through P

Callaway Jaws 50/10,, MD 4 56/10, and Titlest SM 6 60/12

SC Futura 5.5

18 hours ago, WDobe said:

Also clean grips on a regular basis. Soap and water with an old toothbrush. Rinse and dry with towel.

Regarding golf hats- once the sweat rings show, I save up a few and then put them through the washing machine on gentle cold water. Spin dry then shape and air dry. Have probably too many hats! But some are 15-20 years old and still look great. Of course with so many no one gets more than a few wears per season 😎

Have you ever tried the dishwasher?  I have a cap shapeer that I put the hat in, then throw it on the top rack of the dishwasher with a shorty cycle and lower water temp -- it works great and I keep the hat in the form until it dries.  Hats look like new!

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

I found Dawn (the blue one) to be the best for rubber or corded grips. It is designed to remove grease, dirt and oils. Fill a bucket add the Dawn stir and then I use a scrubbing brush (kitchen or floor type with nylon bristles). I scrub from the shaft down to the butt end. Then spray with a water bottle to rinse. Then dry. I never dip the grip in the bucket. I don't want water getting inside. 

If you ever get a stain on your golf shirt or pants. Drip some blue dawn on the stain and let it sit for a few hours and then wash. Stain is gone. 

Big proponent of Hat Saver. One can will do about dozen hats. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

In the UK we have a product called Swarfega. It’s what mechanics use to clean their greasy hand. Slobber on the swarfega gel and Rub the grips with a nail brush. Rinse thoroughly with warm water and allow to air dry. It’s like a new set of grips every time. Usually do this every 2 weeks or so playing 3 times a week.  Nothing better!

... Like several others I don't use a glove so I like to clean my grips after every other round. But I also keep a wet towel with me and wipe my grips with the wet side and then if needed, dry them with the dry side. Phoenix tends to have a very dry air and especially when it gets to triple digits I don't even need to dry them off. All I am trying to do is keep the oil from my hands from sinking into the rubber. But even a non toxic soap will work when cleaning them in the kitchen sink. I use the wire part of a golf brush with just a little soap and scrub them and then rinse them off after cleaning all my clubs grips. The amount of time it takes to clean all my grips is insignificant compared to the like new feel it produces. 

... I would add some of the new grips don't need anywhere near as much TLC. Switching from GP Tour Velvet to Lamkins ST Hybrid grips I only need to wash them once a week. They are not a "tacky" but provide a secure hold without slipping. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

As others suggested, I also use Dawn. I don't wear a glove. I have standard Callaway grips. BTW, if you try a Callaway grip and like it, you can buy them on Callaway pre-owned cheap. They charge $9.95 for shipping but if you buy a large number of grips it works out. I bought 40 last time as my wife also uses Callaway grips.

Although I live in AZ, my hands don't generally sweat which is useful. Additionally, I lay the grips on a towel when I take clubs around the green. Not only saves grips, but makes the clubs uber visual so they don't get left behind.

Edited by Beakbryce

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Haven't been cleaning my clubs grips, but I think I need to start. I have sweaty hands to begin with, and with the temps getting into the 90s now I'm starting to struggle with holding onto the clubs.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5", Draw setting)
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 5.5 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.25”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

I’m also the dish soap and hot water crowd. Usually with a rough sponge like a Scrub Daddy. This method has always worked best for me. 

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

LIFT-OFF.  Our local and only golf shop has it for $10 a can.  It's an aerosol foaming spray, coat the grips and wipe with a clean dry cloth.  Works amazingly well.  Had my doubts, now a believer.

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

The suggestion to sand the grips if during a round; DQ for altering the club during the round. I agree with using mild dish soap and the green scrub side of a sponge, not too much elbow grease, just a couble of lbs of pressure, I also use a firm nylon brush to get into the grooves (I use tour velvet). I also copy what I witnessed at the 1992 US Open by a caddy, a good scrub with a damp towel followed with using the other end to dry them. I do this every shot before I use the club, scrubbing with a towel is not illegal and I really enjoy the new grip tackiness. Replace the grips after 3 - 4 years as oxidation will affect the grip rubber.  Separate damp towel for club heads, clean contact is best. If you clean the grips each shot, after round cleaning is very easy.

I usually use a microfiber cloth soaked liberally with rubbing alcohol. It's enough to dislodge any dirt or sand, and the scrubbing will remove any excess oils.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

• Callaway Epic Flash Tour Certified - 8.5° with MCA Tensei Raw AV White 70 Gram Tour X - Tipped 1" - Set to N / -1
  • Callaway AiSmoke Triple Diamond - 15* 3-wood - Project X Denali 6.5 flex shaft - Set to N/S
  • Titleist TS2 Hybrid (18°) with MCA Tensei White AV 80X shaft - C1 setting
  • Taylormade P7MC (2020) Irons - 4-9 (Standard L/L) with Tour Issue X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Taylormade MG4 48.09SB TI X100 and 52.09SB / 56.12SB / 60.07LBV wedges with DG TI Onyx Black X100 Shafts at +5/8"
  • Golf Pride ZGRIP Plus2 on irons and wedges (plus fairway) / Lamkin ST Hybrid Midsize on Driver / Hybrid
  • Sik DW (2.0) C Series Putter in black finish (36") with Sik Golf Black Pistol
  • Balls: Mostly Maxfli Tour

I've used this for many, many years. The solution long gone, just a drop of dishwashing soap goes a long way.

They're still available, or were when I last checked some months back. After so many years and uses, the bristles within the cylinder are still very firm and every bit as effective as when new.

I can clean a whole set in minutes. Irreplaceable tool, imo.
776ed0f9170172f19953afbcf73948a1.jpg