When is the first time you noticed that you’re old!

Great topic for an "old guy" who refuses to act old...I'll be 78 in a month!!   I honestly haven't felt "OLD" until this year.   Lucky for me, old age seems to run in my family (both my father and his mother lived into their 90's and were pretty healthy until the end).   I've played golf since I was a kid, and usually WALK, which I think is very important for muscle tone and overall health.  I will ride (my wife's orders!) if it gets up into the 90's.  I will confess to feeling "older" this year for the first time, as I'm losing distance with my driver, and find that I need to take one more club for any given distance.   Having said that, I've shot my age or better several times this year and for the last 4-5 years.  This year though, it's been b/c of my short game more than in the past.  

I've undertaken more "hard work" type of jobs this year than in the past....and maybe that's why I'm feeling aches and pains more than in the past.   So far this summer, I have torn up all the boards on my wood deck and replaced them, built a pergola from a kit (with my wife's help) that took about 2+ weeks, installed a new railing system on that deck, and installed gutter guards on 3 sides of my garage.   All this while taking time out every week to mow a 1/2 acre lawn, since it hasn't stopped raining this summer!!!   

I've also decided to devote more time to yoga / stretching this winter, as I find that every morning I wake up with stiffness and soreness.   Before Covid, I took a Senior Yoga class at the local YMCA for a few years, and I realized how important that is to us older guys....!!  Hope this is thought provoking to other guys my age.....I've enjoyed reading this thread from guys of similar age.....

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

I walked into Arby's and orderd a sandwich and drink.  The young person told me the price "with a senior discount".  I said what?  "Oh yea, you saved 35 cents."  But I was only 40 years old.  I am now 70 and will never forget that one!

• Driver _ Ping G400 Max
  • Woods _ Ping G410 3 & 5 | Cleveland Launcher XL HALO 7
  • Hybrid _ Titleist 818 H1 25deg 
  • Irons _ Titleist T300 6-GW
  • Wedges _ Titleist SM10 52F & 56S
  • Putter _ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife Two Bar Hybrid
  • Distance _ Bushnell Phantom 2 GPS | Bushnell Tour V6 Shift
  • Ball _ Titleist Pro V1 yellow or Srixon Q Star Tour 5 Yellow
  • GHIN _ HCP floats between 8 & 12

:ping-small:  :cleveland-small: :titelist-small:  :vokey-small:   :odyssey-small:  :rife-putters-1:  :918457628_PrecisionPro:  :sunmountain: :Clicgear:   :footjoy-small:  

"Never bet against an old man with old clubs that have new grips"

On 8/26/2023 at 6:20 PM, funkyjudge said:

I know I’m old (74 for a few more months), but I refuse to “act old”.  That’s all that I am going to say on this subject, other than if you admit that you’re old and act accordingly, you TRULY ARE OLD!

That's how I look at it. My dad always said... you can't stop getting older, but you don't have to be old.

51 and still walk hilly courses, keep up with the youngsters off the tee and playing hoops against kids half my age.

You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old.

George Burns

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

On 8/26/2023 at 6:16 AM, silver & black said:

When I lost noticeable distance with every club in the bag for no apparent reason.🙄

Same here.  Been fighting it ever since I lost it.  I'm 73 and can still hit my driver 245 but that's 30 yards off just a few years ago.  I try to remember a quote by Clint Eastwood when someone asked him about making a film at 92.  He said he gets up each morning and "doesn't let the old man in".  I try.  LOL.

Edited by 6 Million Dollar Man

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

I'm 46 now and for me it's not been really the game per se. I find it's my eyesight that is crapping out on me. Used to have 20/20 vision or better and now I'm finding out that I'm having trouble tracking balls. Also seem to lose eye focus while looking down at my ball to putt. I switched irons and I've lost about a club length of distance but in doing so I've gained more control

DRIVER:   :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, 9* (Upright Setting), Mitsubishi Kai' Li red, 60g Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

Woods:   image.png.b032bfa6bceb3d86677e537bac666ed6.png Sim Max 3 Wood, 15*, Fujikura Ventus 6 Blue 65g, Stiff flex, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize

HYBRIDS:   :mizuno-small:    JPX 850 hybrid 19*, UST Proforce V2 85g, Stiff, Golf Pride CP2 Pro Midsize    

IRONS:      image.png.e097bd129e11b5c3535389554504a9e8.png    MP-20 HMB 4 iron, Project X LZ 6.5 shaft, Stiff+, Ping Midsize grip

JPX 919 Tour 5i-pw, Project X LZ 6.5 shafts, Stiff+,  Ping Midsize grips

WEDGES:    New Level Golf   50*, 55*, 60* M-Type Wedges with True Temper Elevate Tour X-Stiff flex, New Level Midsize grips

PUTTER:    :ping-small:   Heppler Ketsch 35", Ping PP62 Pistol Grip

BALL:           :titleist-small:     Pro V1 (2021 + 2023 Versions Yellow + White)                                                                              

BAG:       image.png.21a67eec796936e08fafc83a822b0d7f.png  2023 Pro Cart Bag 

Shoes:  Under Armour HOVR Fade 2 SL Spikeless  Shoes

Tech: :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope golf laser Rangefinder

Frogger Golf Towels, 4 more Yard blue/ yellow golf tees

• 3 weeks later...

Just a couple weeks ago. I’ve had pretty bad shoulder pain since the spring and I was just playing through it and I finally went to the doctor about a month and an half ago. Did the insurance-required PT for a few weeks to no avail and got scheduled for my MRI to confirm the tear we suspected. Nope, turns out I have a build up of arthritis and there’s really nothing they can do, so that’ll just hurt forever now. Sweet. I’m only 34, so they think it probably stems from untreated injuries from either wrestling in high school or my time in the military. Needless to say, I was furious.

Driver: Titleist 913D2

3W: Taylormade Burner

5-GW: PXG 0311P Gen 5 (1* weak)

56: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled

60: Ping Glide 2.0 SS

Putter: L.A.B. Golf Mezz.1

About 25 years ago. My back has been sore for that long and within the last 5 years we found out I have degenerative disc disease in my L5/S1. That's life, who can explain it.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Now! Im 31 and havnt been able to participate in the forum match play because im down on my back taking steroids.  Getting old sucks!

WITB

I turned 49 in July and refuse to accept being old. I stay pretty active with walking while playing golf all summer, play ice hockey in the winter, active but not strenuous job, and walking on days when there is nothing that “needs” to be done. I’ve had my fair share of injuries over the years that I can still feel now and again but I don’t feel like it slows me down much. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

I’m 73 and I play golf three days a week and hit the gym three. On my day off I work in the yard several hours. I’ve had three knee surgeries on my right knee, broke my hip and had to have three screws to hold it together, prostate cancer, skin cancer, issues from Vietnam and a few more surgeries to boot. When I get old I might slow down a bit. On second thought oh hell no. This old country boy has a lot more giddy up in the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I thought it was when I broke my back at 22, or my neck at 42, but I think I truly crossed the Rubicon at 45 with brain surgery. Hyperbole aside, it really hasn't altered my physical body, but it's really messed with me mentally and I have to often remember that I should have a lot of life ahead of me and not to give up. 

When I noticed my left hand hurts after a round of golf due to arthritis from multiple spiral fractions playing college football. Now, take that with a grain of salt at the very old age of 35 🤣

Driver:    :taylormade-small: M4 10.5* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Woods: :taylormade-small: M6 3W 15* / Evenflow Blue 6.0 Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: M4 Rescue 19* / KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype 85g Stiff / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Irons:    :srixon-small:  Z585 4-AW / KBS Tour 90 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Wedges:cleveland-small: CBX - 56* & 60* / KBS Hi Rev 2.0 - Regular +1" / Golf Pride MCC +4 Midsize

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma 2 Tyne 4 Platinum / Superstroke Pistol

Ball:    :taylormade-small: Project a

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer 14

I am thinking if you are still in your 30's you might be ineligible to post in the gettin' old thread!!  😂

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

4 hours ago, No3PuttLaLa said:

When I noticed my left hand hurts after a round of golf due to arthritis from multiple spiral fractions playing college football. Now, take that with a grain of salt at the very old age of 35 🤣

You are in for a rude awakening in another 35 years!!  😂 ... and it won't be just your left hand.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

On 9/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, MattF said:

About 25 years ago. My back has been sore for that long and within the last 5 years we found out I have degenerative disc disease in my L5/S1. That's life, who can explain it.

Well, you are making me feel pretty good.  I had the same diagnosis but ONLY 20 years ago!!  But I have a few years on you.  🥴

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• 5 months later...

Haven't you heard, 60 is the new 40, but only better as you get to play at senior's rates!

Old Guy Golf Humor 02.jpg

My weapons of choice:

Driver: :ping-small: G430 Max 10.5

5 Wood: :ping-small: G430 Max

7Wood: :cobra-small: King F9 SpeedBack

Hybrid: :PXG: 0211, 19-degree

Irons 1: :srixon-small: ZX5, 5-GW

Irons 2: :PXG: 0211 XCOR2, 5-GW

Wedges: :vokey-small:  SM9, 52 F8 & 56 S10

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider FCG #3 Mallet

“Of all the hazards, fear is the worst.” - Sam Snead

I’ll admit, Im not even that old…but having to fill out a form online and scroll quite a ways down to find my birth year.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I certainly don’t feel old in myself, and at 52 I don’t think I am. However as a cop when I started stopping drivers who hadn’t been alive as long as I’ve been a cop did make me think that maybe I was old 😳

Driver: IMG_5084.png.5fbbd783dcc8d621f65db4e523c4867a.png G430 Max

Fairway: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg LTDx Max 3 wood

Hybrid: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg King Tec 3 hybrid

Irons: IMG_5157.jpeg.41245fafb8773b507ee7f693ad6a2066.jpeg Forged Tec 4-PW + GW

Wedges: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Jaws 56

IMG_5733.jpeg.1e4058deebcd18f2f88ac5dcaa6c8149.jpegSM9 52

Putter: IMG_5308.webp.c1f0b99088f53de60d3349e71f9c2844.webp Mallet

Ball: IMG_5083.jpeg.03d55f2ce7c7118771008ca6d79deff1.jpeg Chrome Soft

Went to the range on Sunday and hit a small bucket of balls before playing 18 holes.  Had lots of time since I was a single, so I hit a ton of extra shots/chips/putts on each hole to keep good pacing with the group in front of me (there was no body behind me).  Come Tuesday morning, still feeling sore!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

My First indication was a few years ago. I was showing my 6/7 year old daughter and her cousins how to skip rocks on a lake. Wanting to show them how many skips I could get, I threw hard, heard a pop. a couple of years of pain, and a significantly torn rotator cuff surgery later... I realized that I before I do anything that involves an athletic motion, requires some stretching. 

Other indicators have been, hangovers that last a couple of days, when I wake up in the morning I sit on the edge of the bed to figure out if my knees are going to work/where am I/ why does my neck hurt/ and what day it is, other indicators, also include a massive disdain for the younger people I encounter and their tick tock onlyface, and the 4 interns at my job that were born when I graduated high school, calling me sir. 

"In fact , we both tend to hold the Midwestern stoic view that genuine problems are solved with action, not pissing and moaning. If you run around sharing your feelings too much, you'll eventually arrive at a place where you're not only still screwed up, but now everyone knows about it, too." - John Gierach - Sex, Death and Fly Fishing

Being scheduled for a colonoscopy 

Driver : :callaway-small:GBB Epic, 10.5° loft, autoFlex Dream7, SF405x flex (44.75")
3-Wood: :callaway-small:Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
3-Hybrid: :srixon-small: Z H85, 19° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Black 85g, 5.5 flex
Irons: :titleist-small: T350 5i & T200 6i-GW, 23°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
Wedges: :Sub70: JB Forged Raw 54° & 58° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Reg flex (+0.5/0.25", 0.5° upright)
Putter: :ping-small: DS72 C, 35”, PP60 grip

7 minutes ago, BallsLeon said:

Being scheduled for a colonoscopy 

This! And my current back situation from sleeping too hard 😂

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

When I looked in the mirror and saw my dad looking back at me about 10 years ago.

He's 93 now and at least I know what I'll look like in another 29 years. 

Photo of Dad and I with my brother and sister on the ends.  Even the Pope was happy that we were all together. 🤣

image.png.6642597e0103ccb8bc3e77657298b8f8.png

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag