Which Golf Ball you are using?

Which Golf Ball you are using?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Golf Ball Purchase

• TITLEIST PRO V1 2023 GOLF BALL
    • MIZUNO RB TOUR X
    • SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND
    • OTHER

It's been a while since I have been practising golf.

Now, I am looking to practice golf professionally and got some budget to buy some new balls. I am finding the best golf ball and looking for some suggestions and reasons why you are using that particular golf ball.

Which ball you are using? Let me know!

Delete if not allowed.

I'm Anna Smith, and I am thrilled to welcome you to my golfing journey. For me, the world of golf isn't just a game; it's a passion, a challenge, and a source of boundless joy.

A Swing Through Time: From the first moment I gripped a club, I knew that golf was destined to become an integral part of my life. As the years have passed, I've honed my skills on the course, learning the art of precision, patience, and perseverance. Every swing is a new opportunity, every fairway a blank canvas for me to paint my story.

⛳ Exploring the Greens: Whether it's the lush greens of local courses or the excitement of new terrains, I find myself continuously drawn to the serenity and challenges that golf offers. The camaraderie shared with fellow golfers and the mental battles waged against the elements and me – these are the experiences that shape my journey.

🌟 A Golfer's Philosophy: To me, golf isn't just about numbers on a scorecard; it's about the journey, the friendships forged, and the lessons learned both on and off the course. The way I approach the game reflects my values: dedication, sportsmanship, and a constant pursuit of improvement.

Join Me on the Fairway: As I navigate the twists and turns of this beautiful game, I invite you to join me. Let's discuss strategies and favorite courses and share the anecdotes that make golf a truly unique experience. Whether you're a seasoned player or just stepping onto the greens for the first time, there's always something new to learn and enjoy.

Fairways and friendships,

Anna Smith

I'm using the Bridgestone Tour B RXS.

Unlike many others when it comes to fitting a ball into their game, I like to work from the putter backwards, so if it feels good off the putter, chips well around the green, spins on wedge and approach shots, consistent flight, trajectory and distance off the irons, and last of all and least important (relatively from my perspective) driver distance - it checks the boxes. Pricepoint compared to others is an added bonus, so it's an easy win for me for now.

Maxfli Tour X

Search the forum for the ball test as well.  Tons of data and good info to digest. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I've been playing yellow Callaway chromesoft triple tracks for a few months and really enjoy everything they do for me.

Recently tested the titleist TEST balls, and while they were good, for me they weren't great. I have an opportunity to test out some Bridgestone balls soon and hope they do what I need.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I have bounced around comparing balls and I keep landing on the Z Star 💎. I also like the 2023 model of the Mizuno RB Tour X but not as much as I like the 💎. For my game, I just can’t beat the performance at the price. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Z star divide, last years edition can still be found at most local shops on sale.  I tried Wilson triad , taylormade tour response stripe.  I’m a big fan of Callaway chromesoft, but I hate the price.  The z star just seems to perform for me.  I bought a dozen of z star XV to try out this winter.

🙃

I want to try the zstar Diamond at some point. I have been testing the Maxfli tour and tour x. Both have been really good. Not sure which I prefer yet.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

I sure agree with researching the MGS ball tests as a starter in ball selection.

I used the Z-Star Divide in 2023 until I finally had cataract surgery and can see most golf balls in flight. I liked the Divide, but I'm not sure my very slow old man swing speed is a match.

Over the last 2 months, I've gone back and forth between Titleist TruFeel and Titleist Velocity on the course. The Velocity feels a bit firm to me. The TruFeel is softer and I have gotten a little more distance. Odd, because the Velocity is supposed to be the "distance" ball of the two. Again, just my swing speed and style I guess.

I thought I would play two more rounds with each, before I select the new gamer. Best, -Marv

4 hours ago, MuniGolfer said:

I want to try the zstar Diamond at some point. I have been testing the Maxfli tour and tour x. Both have been really good. Not sure which I prefer yet.

I'm a big advocate of the Z Star Diamond. Less expensive than ProV1x and performs just as well. Plus when you can take advantage of the buy get one free, it gets even cheaper. I just loaded up with 6 dozen for the price of 4 and will likely pick up another 6 pack before the deal ends on 12/31.

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

Bridgeston e12 Contact. Gives me the distance I want , a straight ball flight with a softer feel at impact.  Ball choice is entirely personal and subjective: what feels good for me may be too mushy for you.  For me, hitting the Titleist Pro V1/1x feels like hitting a rock but I had distance and some control. Hitting the Taylormade Soft Response felt like hitting a pillow, but I had no control... suggestion: find a local golf simulator , buy some sleeves of whatever ball you have on your short list and go hit!  Not the same as being on a golf course, but will give you a good idea if you like the ball or not.

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

I've been using the Q-Star Tour for a few years now.  I know they haven't faired well in the MGS ball tests, but they work for me.  I tried some other balls this season, but the white box testing confirmed that the Q-Star performed as good as any of the other balls I was testing.  Couple that with the buy 2 get 1 sale and Dick's Black Friday deal which got me 6 dozen for $120.  It's hard for me to justify playing anything else at that price.

Driver: :taylormade-small: QI10 Max
Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim2 Max 3HL
Fairway: :ping-small: G425 Max 9 Wood
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 5 & 6 Hybrids

Irons: :srixon-small: ZX4 7-AW
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50° 54° & 58°
Putter:   :edel-golf-1:
 Array F-3 
Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour Yellow

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

I'm a big advocate of the Z Star Diamond. Less expensive than ProV1x and performs just as well. Plus when you can take advantage of the buy get one free, it gets even cheaper. I just loaded up with 6 dozen for the price of 4 and will likely pick up another 6 pack before the deal ends on 12/31.

Yeah, i definitely need to pick up some this spring to test. I want to try and figure out my gamer early this season.

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

I have a ton of leftover lower-end balls from my personal ball test this past year. I also have 6 dozen Maxfli Tour S balls that I picked up on sale after deciding that this is the ball I'll be playing moving forward. 

This past weekend I had some great weather and got 9 holes in. I decided that I might as well play a cheaper ball since it was winter golf. I played the cheapest ball I have - a Hammer Control - and tied my low score ever. 

So, I think I'm going to play through all the cheap balls I have (except the super soft ones) before making the switch to the Tour S when they run out. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

• 3 weeks later...

I switched mid season to the prov1x left dash.  I am a spinny player so they seem to really help on tee shots. Still seem to have plenty of spin with wedge shots too. 

WITB

Don't laugh, but my favorite ball for several years has been the soft version of the Top Flite.   It used to be called TF D2 Feel.   They recently changed the name to TF Hammer Control, but the ball is the same.   It's an "Old Man ball," but then I'm old, and at my age, can't see paying $40 + for a dozen balls.  This ball gives me adequate distance on full swings, and is soft enough around the greens that it doesn't feel like the old "Rock Flites" of years ago.

Other similar balls I like are the Callaway Super Soft, Titleist Tru-Soft, Maxfli Softfli, and Srixon Soft Feel, but the Top Flites are cheaper, so that's what I usually buy.

Driver:  Ping G, 12*, Senior Flex

Woods:  Orlimar Trimetal +, 20* and 26*  /Taylormade 300 Series 23* 

Hybrid:  Maltby STi, 24*

Irons:  Maltby PTM, 6-PW

Wedges:  Indi SuperGap 49*  Maltby M-Series 54* and 58*

Putter:  Maltby PTM-5 mallet

I tested a lot of balls this year. I settled on a Maxfli Tour S. But I think my second choice, when considering cost and performance, is the Hammer Control. For whatever reason, I play well with it. I don't think it's worth paying more for other non-urethane offerings. 

PXG 0211 driver, 5w, 6i-PW, GW, SW; Titleist H1 4h; Odyssey White Hot mallet.

Going into 2023, I was using Srixon Q Star Tour (white and Divide versions) pretty much exclusively.  I spent 2023 looking at other golf balls for various of reasons.  First, I tried the full suite of OnCore golf balls (Avant 55, Elixr (both 2020 and 2022 versions) and Vero X1) mainly due to the Western New York ties.  Of those, I tended to like the original Elixr and Vero X1's.  Then I tried the Snell MTS Prime ball.  Mostly because the founder, Dean Snell, graduated from the same university and technical degree as I did (two years after I did).  I wanted to show another UMass Lowell Plastics Engineering graduate some financial love!  Finally, I tried the Maxfli Tour S when MGS and Golf Galaxy had a promotion a few months ago. 

Though I will play out the remaining three dozen of the QStar Tour's, dozen of OnCore, two plus dozen of Snell MTS Prime balls, I really liked the Maxfli Tour S.  The distance for my swing speed challenged swing and feel around the greens made me a believer!  I liked them so much, I ended up purchasing a total of ten dozen by year end. 

Now I'm set for golf balls for 2024!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4