Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Does Golf Remain Fun?

7 minutes ago, Middler said:

I started young and focused on improving and tournament competition for about 10 years, my lowest HI was in high school, and I’ll never match that again. I don’t have an interest in spending the time and effort to match those days. I guess I’ve moved past pure competitive golf to social competitive golf? TBH the latter is more fun to me than pure competitive golf.

Since then I have enjoyed golf for three reasons - the golf itself, just being active/outdoors, and the camaraderie. I try my best every round (still play in leagues and occasional tournaments) but I stopped getting better many years ago, with good days and bad days. But even when I’m not playing well, I enjoy it all the same. I had the best round of my life (59 years playing) in June, but I didn’t enjoy that day more or less than any other. Maybe not what you’re getting at but if I ever reach the point again that my enjoyment hinges on how I play above all else, I am sure I will lose interest in golf as an pastime…

Perfect explanation!  It's a good reminder to just enjoy the game.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

1 minute ago, cnosil said:

Part of the reason I started and continue to play is the challenge itself.  When I couldn’t break 100 I said I would be happy to shoot in the 90s, which lead to wanting to score in the 80s, which led to wanting 70s, which lead to breaking par.    I also enjoy the learning process which still continues to this day and why I enjoy discussions and reading comments from people like @RickyBobby_PR, @Jim Shaw, @chisag since they have knowledge and perspectives in different areas of the game.    

So for me, while frustrating, the personal contest is part of the fun.   the social aspect is also fun….i can’t wait to see my friends and make new ones at the Kingsmill outing.  I also enjoy being outside and the solo round where I can reflect own personal things without interruption.   So it is a combination of “fun” and just enjoying the small things in life.   It’s kinda complex. 

Absolutely!  And I agree, those 3 have a ton of knowledge and being able to bounce things off of this group for learning purposes has been great!  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

22 minutes ago, Preeway said:

It's an interesting question to pose. For me, hitting a small ball around acres of beautiful landscape with well placed hazards in my way is not in and of itself inherently fun. When I was a kid and getting started, golf gave me opportunities to play with my grandpa and uncles which is what I found enjoyable. As I got older and became better I was able to become competitive and getting to compete in tournaments made the game fun. As an adult in my 20s the game of golf provided an outlet to make new friends. These days I have been able to get my kids into the game and being able to play with them has been like the circle of life in a sense. The game itself will always be enjoyable and I appreciate the new challenges that each day brings. But I think it takes a special kind of masochist to find the game truly fun 🤣

lol, yes "masochist" has been mentioned from time to time...

committed to performance excellence

As someone who has been newish to the game and do at least once a week play, you have to have fun every time you go out and play. If there is a shot that you make all the time, but wind up duffing it that one time yes you get aggravated. But you have to laugh at yourself. Getting better is the ultimate goal yes, but having fun regardless of how you are playing is key. Even if you had a bad day on the course, deep down you had fun because you see what you need to work on to get better. When I was getting out drove by 50-60 yards, I still had fun. I was learning. You just have to keep learning every time you go play. But that is my mindset and may not work for others.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

17 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I still love playing just as much today as when I started at age 35. I can sum it up in one sentence:

When I am playing well I can't wait to get back on the course and repeat it and when I am playing poorly I can't wait to get back on the course and fix it. 

... Back in the 60's and 70's all I saw was a bunch of over weight guys in shiny polyester smoking on the course and wearing dress shoes with spikes. As an athlete that had zero appeal for me. I was invited to a Charity Tournament with Chicago Bears rotating with foursomes and I thought ... why not? Knowing nothing about golf I borrowed some clubs consisting of Wilson muscle back blades, persimmon woods and an 8802 putter with some balata balls. I made par on the first 2 holes and thought "Easy game". On the 3rd hole I hit what I was told was a SLICE into the woods on the right. Hmmmmm easy fix. Next hole I just rolled my wrists thinking about hitting to left field and hit what I was told was a SNAP HOOK. The rest of the round was a struggle hitting some good shots and some really bad shots.

... The competitor in me was hooked. I attacked the game with a vengeance and continue to pursue excellence every time I play. Add in being out in nature where I feed roadrunners, squirrels and prepare dogs organic fruit and nuts, walking in the sun or as I told my ex wife "hiking with a stick" and the coup de gras of spending the day with good friends or meeting strangers and chatting for 4-5 hours I just can't see me ever getting tired of playing. I play Mon-Fri usually every day or occasionally take off either Tues or Thur every other week. 

over weight guys in shiny polyester smoking on the course and wearing dress shoes with spikes.....

Hey that's me....

committed to performance excellence

After retiring several years ago, surviving a broken neck and other physical restrictions, and feeling my age as I push towards 70, I find myself celebrating the fact that I can still play.    The physical limitations caused me to completely change my game and attitude towards golf.  Through this period of time, elements of my game that I could do well all of sudden abandoned me.  Areas of my game that I always struggled with became a strength.  Through it all, I found I had to embrace the changes and count my blessings that I can still play the game that I love.  Frustration in my ability to play the game at a certain level was replace with being thankful that I could still even swing a club.   The funny part is that will all the changes, my average scores have remained roughly the same for 20 years.  

I celebrate every time I step on the golf course because when I was in rehab for my broken neck I trained with people who were paralyzed for life and would never have the opportunity to play the game again.  I cherish the group of people I typically play with as they help make the overall golf experience even more enjoyable.   Through it all, my focus that shifted from getting better to maintaining what I have.  To enjoy more and be less critical of myself for not executing like I used to.  And be thankful that I can do what I love with people I enjoy being with.  

Every day I come home from golf, my wife asks me how I did?   I say "great" even though it didn't necessarily show up on the scorecard.  It was great because I was out there, doing something I love with people I really like!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
10 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

Great topic @Josh Parker!! So many great responses that hit home with me on my journey of getting better at the game of golf. I would definitely say that the game is just as fun now as it was when I started a short seven years ago albeit for different reasons. When I started out I was happy just to be learning how to play the game and occasionally having a good hole here and there. I remember slowly creeping closer to breaking 100 and thinking about how cool it would be to shoot in the 90s. Of course, once that happened my brain went straight to wondering how long it would take to break 90. Same thing after I broke into the 80s, how long until I can get to the 70s? I enjoy the challenge of getting better but I’ve also learned to enjoy the course management of golf.

Dissecting a hole to determine the best approach for ME to tackle a hole has become one of my favorite elements as of late. Some days that means driver and wedge on a par 4. Other days it might mean 3 wood, 9 iron or some other combination depending on how my swing is and what the course conditions are that day. I love that it’s not always straight forward and sometimes I need to think it through a little bit. It helps to clear my head of life’s other distractions.

Bottom line, I always have fun while playing golf. Be it a new low score, those memorable shots, or successfully getting through a tough hole. 

Edited by ParFore74x

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

On 1/24/2024 at 10:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

So, my question to the Spies is this: As you get better at the game of golf, does it become less fun and more about a personal contest within yourself or does the game continue to remain just as fun as when you started?

Great Topic:   I will say what have said on similar things.  Caution is the word!   I let the game, and the desire to get better, get the best of me a few years ago now, and for clarity I am 57, and play with two older brothers 10, and 8 years older.  I was expecting too much, and was not  really having any fun at all playing.  I was playing poorly, and quit after 9 holes,  due to UNREALISTIC  EXPECTATIONS,  and carried my bag to my car and drove home.

Don't want to sound like the grim reaper, but on the way home I thought to myself, what if something happens to one of my brothers before we play again, or me.  This would be my last experience with them.  I realized just how much power I was giving away to what is really,   a completely, meaningless, mind numbing game, that for 99 percent of us, we are never going to WIN anything of real value playing.  The value is in spending quality time with people you care about.  I swore on that day I would never let this game get to me EVER AGAIN.

I am happy to report I have taken several 8-10's, and even had a round where I shot 83, and had 42 putts.  Have done it all with a smile on my face, and thoroughly enjoyed each and every minute of it.  BILL MURRAY in "Meatballs"  had it right....   "It just doesn't matter.. It just doesn't matter"

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

On 1/24/2024 at 7:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

It is always a personal contest within myself... that's fun.  Strive to get better, or more recently, try to not get worse with age... that's fun.  There will always be the feeling you get when you pull off a shot like you planned... that's fun.  Doing it with friends and family... that's fun.  

I've done many things in my life.  When things weren't fun anymore, I quit.  Haven't done anything longer than playing golf... still having fun!

Check out my signature   ⬇️

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@Josh Parker This is such a great question, and one that has prompted some self-reflection.  There are so many good answers here too!

Attempting brevity:  I have played golf nearly as long as I can remember.  But I committed to the game in the last four years.  That was spurred by miserable rounds at our first brothers/cousins outing when I lost to everybody all the time.  As a former athlete and competitive soul:  it was tough. 

I got frustrated by bad shots, cursed, got dejected, and beat myself up badly.  It was severe enough my playing partners too frequently asked me if I was having fun.  I was!  Always, and for all the reasons others cited - time with family and friends, Transcendentalism (ha), etc.  But I was frustrated.  I told people I just had a pop-off valve letting off steam, which was partially true. I worry that it was not much fun for them though.

With improvement, the game has gotten significantly more fun for me (and my playing partners).  Especially when my HI got to around 10.  That corresponds to the time that my golf knowledge increased, through this site, lessons, and other study.  I better understand my mistakes now and how to improve.  Bad shots seem less random and inevitable.  I also appreciate how hard the game can be, so I give myself a break.

Now I love the game completely and long for spring.  Bring on the center strikes, slices, holed chips,  snap hooks, bad lies, flyers, low scores, poison ivy, sweat-stained visors, double bogeys, and that perfect baby draw that settles in the middle of the fairway.  I love it all more than ever.*

* Not the poison ivy.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 & 5 Woods (:Fuji: MotoreX F1 7-S)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrid (:Fuji: MotoreX HB 7-S)
  •  :Miura: CB-57 4-P or Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (KBS High Rev 125)
  • :scotty-small: Special Select Fastback 1.5
  • :redrooster: Gloves
  •  :maxfli: Tour X Balls

Don't count my clubs!  Ha.  The 4 iron, 5 hybrid, and 53* Cleveland are in and out of the bag depending on mood, course, and moon phase.

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

Mixed feelings here. Have played golf for 45 years. The first 10 were just goofing around with friends and we went to the driving range more than the course. Then I tried to improve, had some lessons and bought better equipment and improved to a 90's shooter. Then I joined forums like this. The discussions on how to swing and the equipment fueled an interest to get better. But, also a frustration why it wasn't happening. So, I continue to be disappointed why I didn't get better. But, overall I still enjoy getting out with family and friends and enjoy the equipment aspect of the game. 

On 1/24/2024 at 4:59 PM, Josh Parker said:

I recently had a discussion with my wife about how some rounds are frustrating and in general about how hard the game of golf can be.  It really got me thinking about a topic and figured I would start one to see what everyone else has to say.

We never become perfect in golf, and I truly believe that this is something that keeps most of us coming back week after week.  Whether it is enjoying being outdoors walking the course, out with friends or co-workers, or competing in competitions, we are all out here because we love the game. 

I was trying to explain to my wife that I have hard days on the course and it's not because I don't love the game or enjoy spending the time outdoors, but because I know that I could have played better.  I am honestly trying to think where that turn happened for me, where I quit saying, "I'm learning the game" and on to "I know I have this shot or could have played better."

Was it at a certain handicap or a particular moment in a round?  

I know every day that I get on the course or out to the range that I love playing golf and that hopefully will never go away but I do have days that I am working on enjoying the round more.

Always remains fun. The expectations are higher, however that does not take away from thr enjoyment in any way.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf is my main social outlet. Spending 3-4 hours with friends in a pristine setting doesn't get much better. We get to rib on each other, comment on shots (good/bad), and commune with nature in a way that not many pursuits allow. In short, my answer to your question would be...Yes, golf is fun. It remains fun.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

Wow, great responses throughout!

Golf will always be FUN for me, but for different reasons. (as I mentioned in your other post) it's my stress release from work. It started out just hitting some balls with a co worker, but quickly turned into a hobby, that is now settling in on becoming a part of my life.

I have my moments of frustration,  but then I just move on to the next shot. I don't have a "shot in the bag" that I can rely on to carry me through either.

And if honesty is the best policy,  I'm still playing Whack-F&#%! half of the time. But it's still fun for me, and I hope the freshness that golf brings to me never wears off!

Your main question @Josh Parker leads to one I've had circling my brain lately...

Ive been playing golf (used loosely) for nearly 2 years now. when does someone stop being NEW at golf? Is it a particular  handicap, is it how long you've been playing, is it your ability to hit every club in your bag proficiently? You get the idea.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Interesting question, I think that golf will always be fun, but I would say I'm far less passionate about the game than I was 20 years ago. I no longer feel like I have to play every exclusive course on the planet, replace my clubs every year, try the latests (Longest) ball du jour to enjoy the game. I always want to get better at the game, but no longer beat myself up when making the same stupid mistakes out on course. I believe I've reached a point of balance in my game, where bad or good I'm just going to have fun. I think another evolution for me is that I used to dread playing with my wife and would rather golf with the boys and now I would rather play with her than anyone else. YMMV

Driver: :cobra-small: Speed Zone 9* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow Shaft

3 Wood: :cobra-small: King Speedzone 13.5* HZRDUS Smoke Black Shaft

2 & 3 Hybrids: :cobra-small: Speedzone Recoil 480 ESX Shaft

Irons: :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-GW Recoil 460 ESX Shafts

Wedges::callaway-logo-1: PM Grind 54* & 58*

Putter: :odyssey-small: Dual Force Rossi II

Ball: Whatever I find in the woods

:Arccos:

HCP:18

At the end of the day, if it’s not fun, your time should be spent elsewhere (not saying that’s you).  Sure, it can be frustrating at times, but I think that comes and goes with how hard you like to push yourself.

I love the personal challenge of improving, along with the social aspects of the game (most of my guy friends also play regularly). In addition, I sit in a strategic role at work, and I enjoy being able to break down certain courses / holes to understand the ideal path / approach. Add on the 1-2 golf trips a year with a group of guys, and it keeps golf exciting and rewarding every year. 

Edited by CFreddie

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 1/24/2024 at 9:59 AM, Josh Parker said:

I recently had a discussion with my wife about how some rounds are frustrating and in general about how hard the game of golf can be.  It really got me thinking about a topic and figured I would start one to see what everyone else has to say.

We never become perfect in golf, and I truly believe that this is something that keeps most of us coming back week after week.  Whether it is enjoying being outdoors walking the course, out with friends or co-workers, or competing in competitions, we are all out here because we love the game. 

I was trying to explain to my wife that I have hard days on the course and it's not because I don't love the game or enjoy spending the time outdoors, but because I know that I could have played better.  I am honestly trying to think where that turn happened for me, where I quit saying, "I'm learning the game" and on to "I know I have this shot or could have played better."

Was it at a certain handicap or a particular moment in a round?  

I know every day that I get on the course or out to the range that I love playing golf and that hopefully will never go away but I do have days that I am working on enjoying the round more.

I definitely understand the feeling. Especially now with getting back into the game more after many years of barely playing. Before the lapse I had played between a 0 and 3 handicap for years. And while I don’t have quite the same speed as I did 10 to 15 years ago I can still hit the ball about as well as I used to. But as we all know playing golf swing and playing golf are different as you almost never get a perfect stock swing yardage. So despite the fact I know better I still find myself getting frustrated with myself or feeling I hit the ball better than the score indicates. That said even those days are still golf and enjoyable. Also you always have something from those days you know need to be better and you have the challenge to make it better next time. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

I'll add, I used to play with friends and one of my sons and keep score. Now, that I play with my wife, it's not about score any more. It's something to do, a social event. We like to travel and play, too. I still want to hit good shots. But, without keeping score, I don't judge myself after a round or have one hole ruin the day - especially if the bad hole was on #1. It makes the game more enjoyable.

Edited by NC Golfer