Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is Golf's Dress Code Outdated?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I don't think it's outdated.   I have a membership at our public course, and there needs to be some decoram because where I play we have no dress code and it is crazy what people where here.  There will be girls in just their underwear almost.  To some that might be fine but I have kids and I don't want them seeing all that.  I also wish that there would be less adult beverages too because of the same thing.  It is crazy.  On the opposite side I play at the other three courses I play have very strict dress code I'm never worried that my kids will walk upon some stranger almost completely naked.  

Dan U

18 minutes ago, Terry Mclees said:

If you don't put some kind of limits people would dress like some do on the street at least with some restrictions you do have control 

So why is that a bad thing? If people are comfortable and enjoying the sport and not damaging the course, keeping up with pace of play. Just for the sake of discussion. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I think to an extent a "dress code" is needed but not what I think the article points to which is collared shirt, pants, and golf shoes. Most of the muni courses I play have the typical dress code sign but people can wear essentially whatever they want. So long as the etiquette of the game exists I don't think there is any issue with shorts a t-shirt (barring any lewd images/sayings) and sneakers. What I care most about is how they respect the course and the people around them.

Now when we look at professional golf and private clubs and their  "dress code" that is whatever they dictate it to be so if you don't like it don't join there. I've played at courses where a change of clothes was needed just to walk into the clubhouse for lunch. but I was a guest playing under their rules. Who am I to tell them they are wrong? Professional sports are more of an image and setting an example for others so I don't think holding them to higher standard is necessarily wrong. I think shorts are fine but a normal golf shirt and tucked in is fine to continue as "tradition". The players are representing not only themselves but the course they are playing at and the sponsors making the event a possibility.

Edited by Swood1994

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

54 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

THIS IS EXACTLY HOW I VIEW IT!!! couldn't be written any better!!! In any sport those of us who have played it for any amount of time have seen massive innovations iam a golfer and this is true!! A fisherman and true and a competitive shooter and really true on this front and golf and only golf has held on to this southern plantation "gentlemans" BS for far too long!!! Not much gives me more joy than walking past the range at my club and seeing a 14 yr old with his airpods in jamming some godawful crap they call music and striping 3 iron stingers 260 down the middle. Well on said day as I walked by a hear a commotion and turn and a group of guys my age are berating this poor kid for his shorts and Hoodie (which by the way was a golf hoodie) they went too far screaming at a kid and iam not a small individual and absolutely hate a bully so I went out there and made the problem leave. Two days later the head pro calls me in his office and starts to "counsel" me??? I told him he best start catering to the changing of the guard and if there were anymore issues my lawyers would be his next phone call I have heard no more of it except for the new dress code allowing shorts of any appropriate nature and t-shirts and hoodies if golf applicable 🤣🤣 he must have done his homework!!! It's time we revise this archaic crap and make golf fun for everyone not just those of us who are on the clock!!!!!

11 minutes ago, BKervin said:

As long as the attire is presentable - who cares.  It's about playing, keeping pace and learning a life long sport.

Clothes are expensive! Clubs are expensive!  Shoes are expensive! Balls are expensive! 

I golf with a lady who goes out on the weekend to look for lost balls just so she can play the game she loves.  She wouldn't be able to play without doing this. She uses old clubs as she can't afford new ones.  She asks for tees for her birthday and Christmas presents.  She wears 10 year old golf shoes. She doesn't buy new clothes. She has a great game with a 6 GHIN. 

Should we ban these individuals from playing?  I think not.  I truly enjoy playing with her!

Absolutely not!!! I would buy her a membership!!!

WITB

Driver is PING G430 MAX 10K 9° W/VENTUS BLACK 44.5"  TOUR VELVET GRIP

3 WOOD TAYLORMADE M2 15° W/ADDI BB TOUR VELVET GRIP

IRONS PING G410 4 AND 5 IRON W/X100 

IRONS 6-9 PING I200 W/X100 

WEDGES TITLEIST VOKEY SM8 48° CHROME

VOKEY 52°  56° AND 60 ALL IN CHROME FINISH WITH DYNAMIC GOLD AND MCC+4 GRIPS

SCOTTY CAMERON TOUR RAT GSS 350G MATADOR GRIP

SUN MOUNTAIN C-130 CART BAG NIKON LASER 

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I hear what you are saying, but I think golf should maintain its current dress code, with one exception for the pros.

For smaller events, I wouldn't mind seeing pros in shorts. In the majors, I say stay strict with pants, but I wouldn't care if they were in shorts for all other events.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

7 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

If you go to someone’s house and you see all their shoes by the door. You take yours off as well. If a course has a dress code you follow it or leave. It’s that simple. 
I have been fortunate enough to play some very exclusive courses and the dress codes are very strict. (Collared shirts tucked in, hats are not to be worn backward and you can’t wear one in the club house, no jeans or cut offs, no changing shoes in the parking lot) and so forth. Stuffy, Absolutely. 
I dress golf appropriate as I never know what the course policy is until I get there. I would hate to be turned away because of my attire.

As far as I’m concerned. Just be somewhat neat and keep up pace of play. I also just can’t fathom playing golf in jeans. Way too uncomfortable for golf in my opinion. But I don’t care if that’s what you like.

My only pet peeve 
No wife beater tee shirts. I don’t need to see your hairy armpits dripping sweat.

They should be a felony charge period!!! They are truly vile and iam not sure why anyone would wear one !! 

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

I feel it depends on the type of club you’re playing at. A local muni/par 3 course most likely has lower standards. Personally, I’m not a fan of jeans on the course but it really depends on where you’re playing. Across the board, I feel a polo and khaki shorts/pants should do the job. 

I do enjoy the new trend of hoodies and differing quarter zips. As long as the club sets rules online, players should be held to the whatever standard it is. 

1 hour ago, hoppman said:

With no dress code, what next, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria... 

Relax Francis, as long as they keep up, repair ballmarks and divots, what they wear doesn't really concern me. 

Are we doing the human sacrifice to celebrate a birdie, or to conjure one up from the Gods? Dress codes are one thing, but there have to be RULES, man!!

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2 0211 15* 3W Mitsubishi Tensei Raw Blue 65-S
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex

(These two are gonna fight it out in early "24 to see who stays in the bag...)

:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:ping-small: Hoofer Camo Stand Bag

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

9 minutes ago, Cade Rousseau said:

I feel it depends on the type of club you’re playing at. A local muni/par 3 course most likely has lower standards. Personally, I’m not a fan of jeans on the course but it really depends on where you’re playing. Across the board, I feel a polo and khaki shorts/pants should do the job. 

I do enjoy the new trend of hoodies and differing quarter zips. As long as the club sets rules online, players should be held to the whatever standard it is. 

Not picking at you at all here and iam a club member and would never wear jeans golfing but what about someone wearing jeans bothers you??? I mean iam just trying to understand? I've seen guys freak out on people for what they were wearing and I always wondered why???

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Golf's dress code is definitely outdated, but I do believe in still having one. If certain courses/clubs want to enforce rules that fit their aesthetic, I'm not opposed. I would say I'm more of a traditionalist in that I'll typically always wear a polo if I'm playing. 

In recent years at public courses without stricter codes, I've ditched tucked-in shirts and opted for the occasional hoodie over a quarter-zip. But I think at the end of the day, people can wear whatever makes them comfortable as long as it's within the rules of the course they're playing.

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

1 hour ago, BKervin said:

As long as the attire is presentable - who cares.  It's about playing, keeping pace and learning a life long sport.

Clothes are expensive! Clubs are expensive!  Shoes are expensive! Balls are expensive! 

I golf with a lady who goes out on the weekend to look for lost balls just so she can play the game she loves.  She wouldn't be able to play without doing this. She uses old clubs as she can't afford new ones.  She asks for tees for her birthday and Christmas presents.  She wears 10 year old golf shoes. She doesn't buy new clothes. She has a great game with a 6 GHIN. 

Should we ban these individuals from playing?  I think not.  I truly enjoy playing with her!

Agreed, if you want to belong to a place that dictates what you wear , do it , but don’t feel like everyone one else has to adhere to a “standard” just because you think so . I like to dress decent at the course but that’s my prerogative. But I also like to dress nicely going to church, out to dinner too . Tiger wears a mock tee playing amongst many others , so everyone lighten up and you ll have more fun !

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

1 hour ago, Swood1994 said:

So long as the etiquette of the game exists I don't think there is any issue with shorts a t-shirt (barring any lewd images/sayings)

If I want to wear my shirt that says “F@&$ CANCER” at a course but it’s the actual spelling of that word, I would do it. Why? Because I am positive no one would have an issue with it. 

I’ll be honest, I used to be all about people wearing polos. Now I’m all about having fun, and playing in comfortable clothes. I also don’t care what others wear, want to wear a mankini? Get out there and fix your pitch marks while doing it. Women want to wear pretty much as little as Paige Spiranac. As long as they are keeping pace I don’t care. I’m not on the course to judge people. I’m on the course to get better, I feel it’s weird to be looking and seeing what others are wearing but that’s me. Let people play in what they want to play in. It isn’t going to hurt anyone’s play unless you’re trying to check them out. Then that’s weird. But that’s my opinion, and may be a little inflammatory to some. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

For public golf I don't think it really matters. My biggest concern is the people who just hear they need cleats/spikes to play and show up in baseball or football cleats...yes this happens. I don't care about t-shirts, tanks, short shorts, tennis shoes whatever. Like I've said before, and others have mentioned, just get done in 4-4 1/2 hours and don't trash the course.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

1 minute ago, Wheelieb said:

If I want to wear my shirt that says “F@&$ CANCER” at a course but it’s the actual spelling of that word, I would do it. Why? Because I am positive no one would have an issue with it. 

I’ll be honest, I used to be all about people wearing polos. Now I’m all about having fun, and playing in comfortable clothes. I also don’t care what others wear, want to wear a mankini? Get out there and fix your pitch marks while doing it. Women want to wear pretty much as little as Paige Spiranac. As long as they are keeping pace I don’t care. I’m not on the course to judge people. I’m on the course to get better, I feel it’s weird to be looking and seeing what others are wearing but that’s me. Let people play in what they want to play in. It isn’t going to hurt anyone’s play unless you’re trying to check them out. Then that’s weird. But that’s my opinion, and may be a little inflammatory to some. 

I have always wondered what it was that bothered other people about someone's attire??? I have not once in my life thought "I'm going to put a stop to this" I guess I've seen enough bad stuff that I cannot imagine sweating someone for wearing a shirt I didn't like??? Now I have told my son about a hundred times how stupid those "joggers" or skinny things they wear look though 🤣🤣 but it's all in good nature as I really loathe censorship or cancel culture completely!!!

WITB

TITLEIST PRO V 1

Connor's opening word was "YES". And he's correct. I don't want people walking around like total slobs, but at the same time, I don't think a collar is necessary to have a good time. I think shorts are fine as well. 

:taylormade-small: M6 clubs in the bag and a GARMIN Fenix 7 on the wrist!

11 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I couldn't have said it any better myself.

I've played with some real douchecanoes wearing $100 polos and top of the line shoes, and I've played with some awesome folks who'd take my money 8 days a week while they're wearing jeans and beat up sneakers, and I'd gladly play with them every single day.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Im for letting people do as they wish, heck most people do anyways.  If people want to look like slobs, then its not harming me in anyway, just please keep the pace proper and fix any damage you make

:taylormade-small:Super Burner 2.0 10.5*

:cobra-small: Fly-Z hybrid

:edel-golf-1: SMS 4-GW

:ping-small: i3 5 Wood

:titleist-small:SM7 56*,60*, SM8 52*

:odyssey-small: Versa 1 putter

2023 Tested: Edel SMS Irons

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I've played with some awesome folks who'd take my money 8 days a week while they're wearing jeans and beat up sneakers, and I'd gladly play with them every single day.

Those are the best people to play with. I also have my thoughts on the whole children comment made, but I’m not going to start an argument. All I’ll say is beaches and pools should be places not to take children as well

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Isn’t the origin of the dress code basically what people normally wore about 100 years ago? Men of all stripes frequently wore ties and hats out in public. It was considered proper societal etiquette. 

Society has changed (duh). Most men don’t wear suits ever, hats are more of an accessory rather than a requirement. 

I don’t know the rationale for having the current dress code, but it is probably a bit stricter than general societal expectations. I am okay with that, would be okay with relaxing it a bit too. Agree with the poster who doesn’t want to see someone partially nude. Seems like a low bar to clear.

2023 MGS tester: OnCore VERO X1 ball

2024 MGS tester: Edel Array putter

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 9*

3W: Ping G425 max

Irons: Srixon JX5-MKII (5-PW)

48* Titleist Vokey SM9

52* Cleveland RTX Zipcore

56* Titleist Vokey SM8

Putter: Odyssey stroke lab r-ball mallet

Having just played a place with a very strict dress code I can say that I don't think a dress code is outdated.  It was nice that everyone looked presentable. Would I have liked to have been able to wear my preferred nice golf hoodie vs. a quarter zip and tucked in polo, yes, but it wasn't an issue.

Do I think that should be the case for municipal golf courses, no, but I do think there should be at least some level of dress code.  It doesn't bother me when there isn't, but I would mainly say as far as muni dress code goes.  No graphic tees.  

Edited by Syks7

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond