What Is The Most You Would Pay For A Putter?

GolfSpy_APH

This is a great question. I don’t know what it is about putters but the mod team has selected me as a tester for three high end ones. Right place, right time I guess - thanks I go appreciate it.

interestingly the first of those, an EVNroll, replaced a bargain basket under $50 one that I then had altered a bit at a fitting - the EVNroll was a bit better particularly from off the green which at my age is important.  With a fitting I’d pay $350 for it. Beyond a doubt I’d pay that for my Sacks-Parente with a fitting - it’s a no brainer. 

Honestly the LAB that I tested was unable to stay in the bag - competitive on there but NG from off it and that’s a huge factor for me with putter. I’d have to look at their other models to see if they have one that works from off the green. 

To answer the question I’d say $400 with a fitting sounds about right. 

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I've been gaming a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 for the last 10 years and haven't given the idea of a new putter much thought.  It's not that I am a brilliant putter, average on a good day, but I'm so comfortable with what I have that I haven't bothered looking for an alternative.  

Having said all of that I suspect that unless someone handed me a putter that drastically improved my game on the green my limit might be around $300 right now.  I'm still planning on replacing everything else in my bag this year so there would not be much room in my budget for a new flat stick.  

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

As most have said...and they are right, the putter is the most used club in the bag.  It makes up over 30% of the shots taken in a round.

I have played my Yes! Callies for over 15 years and only paid $120 or so for it.  I look at the current prices of putters and get immediate sticker shock.  I can see paying $400+ for a driver, but not for a putter. I have never been fit for a putter, seems a bit strange when I think about it. To me it is all about the feel of the ball off the face and how it aligns when standing over a putt. I can do that on the practice areas at PGA Superstore or at Golf Galaxy.

I think the most I would pay is around the $200 range.

1 minute ago, Richard Shows said:

As most have said...and they are right, the putter is the most used club in the bag.  It makes up over 30% of the shots taken in a round.

I have played my Yes! Callies for over 15 years and only paid $120 or so for it.  I look at the current prices of putters and get immediate sticker shock.  I can see paying $400+ for a driver, but not for a putter. I have never been fit for a putter, seems a bit strange when I think about it. To me it is all about the feel of the ball off the face and how it aligns when standing over a putt. I can do that on the practice areas at PGA Superstore or at Golf Galaxy.

1 minute ago, Richard Shows said:

I thought a putter fitting was ridiculous until I had one done.

Maltyby Clubs

PXG Driver-4Wood and Putter

Titleist Bag

Sunday Bag

Round Golf Balls

Would probably pay up to $500 but I would be hesitant to game it, although I have paid that for Scotty Cameron’s but do not game them 

WITB

Callaway Rouge ST Max D driver

Titleist TSR2 fairway 

Titleist Tsi2 fairway

Titleist TS2 Hybrid

Titleist T300 irons

Vokey Wedges SM8

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist LinkMaster bag

Has anyone actually had fewer putts with their ‘upgrades’?

one guy earlier says 100% improvement with his Lab putter😱

well if he’s halved his putts then ok but I doubt it, 🤣

Keen amateur 

Cobra King F9 driver

Callaway 3w & 5w

Taylormade M4 5-PW

Cleveland RTX mid grind 50, 58, 56, 60

Oddysey Versa Sabretooth putter (as used by Inbee Park)

Bushnell Pro X3 Rangefinder 

On 3/25/2024 at 5:56 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Let's say the fitting is free or was included in the purchase price, what is your limit? How much is too much?

What putter would it be?

It depends on the quality of the fitting.  I would pay a real fitting with a quality putter up to $299 including all tax and fees.

There is no way I am spending 500.00 for a putter, I got my odyssey sabretooth from rock bottom golf 6 years ago for 69.00 and after putting on a super stroke grip and adding a little weight to it its the best I've ever had. I am looking for another one just in case something happens to this one. 

Frank musolino 

I don't change my putter often. I'm 59 and played 2 putters since college. The Cleveland Huntington Beach anser blade works great for my style. I love the SOFT technology. 

Have I tried a variety of puters? - of course, every time I'm in a golf store I roll some putts with a new tech version. 

I'd go to $300 or $350 if I could improve my results. So far, my putter keeps working. 

image.png.94f13df8145a5d3d3e8432352619fb85.png

$200 for me. I’ve honestly only purchased used putters before and never spent over that. In my opinion, as long as you know what length you need and what head you visually favor… the rest is on you. 

Driver:  image.png.e6704436d0738e350c36dc1ce0753eba.png G425 Max

3w: image.png.8c80dd2d8412050473d733ae63143a54.png G425 Max

Irons:  image.png.df4c4edcd7f6540ac2633c86951943cc.png G430

Putter:  image.png.e24ecf5c5006f69baa2e4de3d7a93fbe.png Spider X

$400. Even that’s too much for me but a Scotty Cameron feels SO good sometimes I’m willing to go there. Never have yet though. I’ve never spent more than $150 but putters weren’t as expensive then either. I own 14 putters, most of them older classic putters. Putters… no matter how much you spend, won’t sink putts. Your putting stroke and hours spent at practice will. So don’t be stupid.

Currently employed at Riverwood National Golf Course, in Otsego, MN (USA)   RW Logo copy.png

WITB: 

Callaway Paradym 9 & 10.5 drivers, depending on conditions and my swing that day! (Accra Tour Z x255 M3)

Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 woods (stock Aldila Synergy shafts, Stiff)

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid (UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HB, Regular)

Callaway Apex Pro 19 (True Temper Elevate Tour 115 Steel, Regular)

13 different putters in rotation!! 😆

Seed SD-05 (a 3-piece urethane cover, 80 compression ball)

Think I would pay up to $500 for a putter.  Given it's the club used most and if getting fitted for the right one is going to take strokes off my game, the investment is worth it to me.

In the last 3 weeks I've spent $1,300 going down the LABbit hole. One counterbalance and one standard Mezz Max. I'm not sure if I get along with them. Guess I was hoping for some magic wand (which I obviously know is silly), but I'm realizing more and more that it's a "me" problem. Putting has always been the most difficult part of the game for me, so I'm always searching. It's a frustrating feeling, and it's gotten to the point that sometimes I feel like giving up the game I love. Rounds with my buddies start to feel like a chore, rather than a getaway. Knowing you're going miss 4 footers all day is a drag.

Just bought a 38" Spider Tour S counter balanced putter for $350 +tax.

I prefer my 35" Tri Hot 5K Two bought off of Callaway pre-owned, but coming off back fusion surgery, bending over for a 35" putter makes my back tired so I tried a 38" and it is better on my back. Several places have said they could extend my gamer but I don't want to mess with it as it has worked really well for me. 

I had a chance to buy the same putter used at GG, but didn't pull the trigger, I went back 4 days later and it was gone. I could have saved $60 at least on a putter that looked brand new. 

So now that I can start chipping and putting, I need to see how my back will hold up. 

Being a golfer + 80 years old I have found that your eyesight and muscle memory over the years change , and a new higher price putter  doesn’t do much for my game. Over the years, like most of us old golfers, what we thought was the answer to our putting problems, bought a new putter, and it didn’t solve our problems over the long run. So what happens? It finds its way into the dark closet along other putters that need a rest.

On a serious side, as My Golf Spy test show, a good putter doesn’t have to be expensive. Keep up the good work MGS.

Posted (edited)

I did a putter fitting last year, the fitter was running a deal that if I bought they would apply the fee to the purchase. I spent $500 on a Scotty so I guess 500.

I can tell you, my putting has greatly improved.

Edited by trike11
  • Driver - Callaway Paradym X 10.5 - Project X HZRDS Gen 4 50
  • 3 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 16.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • 5 Wood - Callaway Paradym X 18.5 - Project X HZDRS Gen 4 50
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 - KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
  • Wedges - Srixon ZX7 51-8 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite; Titleist Vokey 56-12 & 60-08 - Project X 6.0
  • Putter - Scotty Cameron Phantom X12
  • Golf Ball - 2023 Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

The most I have ever paid for a putter was $1500 it was a Master Limited addition limited release. It did come with an upgraded shaft and free fitting. I purchased as a collection piece not a gamer. With the number of new putters released every year and toting all the “new technological advancements”. Putter should no exceed the $250-$300 range. Though it is the most used club in the bag you really don’t gain an advantages as you would in a driver 

I love my putter. I found it new on eBay (legit reseller) for ~$100. I knew what style of putter I wanted and I took a leap of faith. It worked out.

I totally understand the thought process that you take 40-50% of your shots with your putter and how it is probably the most important club. However, just because you swing it more doesn't necessarily mean you need to spend more. I would probably say ~$250 and that seems a little steep, but I am assuming the time involved to get properly fit and that person needs to make a living.

Until there is a commercial on TV that tells me how sexy putting is or how far I smoke a putter (with lots of cool whooshes & graphics), I'm good...

HOWEVER, they are doing all this cool stuff with "AI" now. So, if they can AI a putter and make the sweet spot across the entire face, I will recant my statement above and raise my price (but it won't go over $350).

Shep

I would say $399. Ok, $400, but it would really have to perform. I started golf with a hand-me-down AP5 from my father. Years later, I ordered a new driver, and when I arrived at the store to pick it up, it wasn't there. They had an associate from another store across town bring it, but it took an hour. I spent my time waiting on a practice green hitting putters, and there was an inexpensive, no-name putter I couldn't miss with. It worked really well for years; and then it didn't. I went through a lot of putters over the years, and never putted as well. Taylormade, several Pings, mallet, half mallet, blade. I finally found a Ping a few years ago that just really works for me. It is the best part of my game. So, if it quit working, it isn't so much a brand or price point that would matter. I want a putter that works for me, and I would pay what I needed to for that putter. 

I wouldn't pay over $300. I own a Scottt Cameron that I received as an entry prize at a tournament and I don't putt any better with it vs my others that were less expensive 

2047944378_Golfbag.png.8fe7821c77c9ca1e793b3835840c816b.png

I just spent $610 for a fitted LAB DF3, so I guess that is my limit as I've never spent more than $350 before and never thought I'd do that much for a putter.

Woods:  :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Max LS 9*,  :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6S / :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+, 15* (set to 17*), Stealth 2, 22*, both w/MCA Diamana Thump 75S
Hybrid: :PXG: 0317 X Proto 4H, Xcaliber RTI75 S  

Irons: :Takomo: IRON 101 5-PW, Accra T90i S
Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX ZipCore 48*, Accra T90i, 53* & 58*, Accra T100i S
Putter: LAB Golf EF3, Accra graphite, 34", Press II 3*

Ball: Maxfli Tour
Bag/Cart: :callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 Stand Bag / :Clicgear: 4.0 / Alphard Club Booster V2, Swivel kit
Accessories: :Arccos: 360 /  Garmin G80 / Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized 

image.png

Posted (edited)

I have to say this is a really interesting topic as everyone can agree the putter is the most used club in their bag yet don’t really get fit and don’t want to spend too much. Also super interesting that a new driver is $550 yet a new putter is $250-$350. 

I think you should get a putter fitting and you should NOT do it with someone at dicks or PGa superstore, you should get a real fitting done with different brand options AND tech to see what putter stoke you have! Then you can go pick the style that fits your eye but the correct putter balance (toe down, face balance or toe up like a LAB putter). After I figured out that I am a face balance guy I got a odyssey tank 7 putter and used that for 9 years and now just go a tri hot 5, the same putter basically as the tank 7 had gotten beaten up. Because of that consistency of putter it is one of the strongest parts of my game and I think can be for a lot of people if they would just pick one that fits there swing type and then stick to it!

lastly I will use odyssey putters until I die. The white hot is incredible especially as I play a firm ball and think it’s the best money can buy along with INCREDIBLE customer service. All that to say I think $350 is the most I would spend on a putter and a fitting about $100.

Edited by Gbufer

Lefty Gang 

On 3/25/2024 at 5:56 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

Let's say the fitting is free or was included in the purchase price, what is your limit? How much is too much?

What putter would it be?

I actually went to a putter launch recently. Cove Golf invited me to the introduction of their line. I was able to spend some time with a fitter and a nicely milled mallet putter. The fitter was using a computer analyzer that I had never heard of before. (Will try to get the name of it to share). I hit a number of putts to a hole 15 feet away. I had a really nice session, stroke was consistent, ball rolled well, putter really felt nice. 

When I looked further into what the entire package would cost me, the putter was a cool $800 and the fitting $200. Even though I was really excited to maybe put a new putter in my bag, I have not been able to pull the trigger on spending the $1000. It's been about a month since I attended this event, and I am really comfortable using the $150 Kayson putter that I picked up last year.

FORE!

Mike

Played this wonderful game for 54 years now. Still love it!

Driver - Callaway Rogue Reg shaft 10 degree (Circa 2018)

3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha 3 Metal (2014)

Hybrids - Callaway X-Hot Pro 16 and 20 degree (2014)

Irons - Callaway Apex Pro Graphite Shafts 4-A (2014)

Wedges - Callaway Mac Daddy 56 (2014) and 58 (2019)

Putter - Kayson Mallet 34" (2023)

Bags - Carry: Sun Mountain (2005) Cart: BagBoy Easy Rider Lite (2019)

Pull/Push Cart - BagBoy Compact3 (2019)

"Can't birdie them all if you don't birdie the first 2"

I feel like $300 would be the line in the sand for me. The market is flooded with putters that are overpriced and provide no real advantage. It's all about the feel and honing your own ability. I'm still rocking my 30 year old flat stick and have no problem in maintaining a good PPH percentage. If I miss, it's not the putters fault, it's usually a bad read or tugging it to the left. 

18 holes, golf buddies, cocktails, and a good cigar. That is the way. 

On 3/25/2024 at 7:56 AM, GolfSpy_APH said:

What putter would it be?