Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

1st range session of the new season -- not good

NGage

Went to the range today for the 1st time this year. All I took was a 7-iron....just wanted to get back into the swing of things slowly. Instead, it was horrible. I only really hit two types of shots:

1) hosel-rockets to the right (low grounders, mid-height, and full height but still off the hosel and right at 45* angle)

2) pulls to the left; they started left and stayed straight on that line of flight.

It's days like this that make me want to just quit the game. I was out there for at least an hour trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. I told myself over and over any and all of the following: "just get the left arm low and tight across the chest", "initiate the downswing by pulling the left hip and knee back away from the target line", "stay in the zone". All of those are my "keys" for my one plane swing. None of it helped.

I desperately wish there was a 1-plane instructor around me. I've been told (on the Jim Hardy website) that one's coming to my area soon. I very much hope so.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration, hopefully you will work it out very soon. Is it possible that seeing a handful of those misses led to more misses? I'm right in the same handicap range, though my lows are not quite as low as yours, and I find that when things go sideways the best thing to do is to really grind on set up fundamentals, then let the swing go. Really check your alignment, ball position, posture, etc, then think about how many great shots you've hit in your life and let it go.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

I used to shank it at the beginning of the season too. Likely your timing was off, and you head was moving. It will improve with time, just keep hitting.

I would also venture to guess yo were going over the top. It is much harder to shank when you swing from the inside. Try pushing your hips forward at the beginning of the downswing to set your hands.

I usually hit hosels when I'm pulling the club too far back to the inside getting extremely flat with my back swing. Then, I focus more on making sure the club head is outside my hands as I take it back and that normally fixes the issue.

But, I feel your pain. I don't like it when they are appear and I feel like I'm much too good of a player at this point to be doing that s%#$.

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

But, I feel your pain. I don't like it when they are appear and I feel like I'm much too good of a player at this point to be doing that s%#$.

That's what gets me....I'm a 10 give-or-take, my all-time best round is 71, I've had a round with 8 birdies in it, and I can hit it well --- but then I can also come out and have days like that.

It's maddening.

That's what gets me....I'm a 10 give-or-take, my all-time best round is 71, I've had a round with 8 birdies in it, and I can hit it well --- but then I can also come out and have days like that.

It's maddening.

Its golf... Its supposed to be maddening. When I have a session like that, I chalk it up to early season yuck, and go home. It will be better next time. Go back and hit it!!

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

Its golf... Its supposed to be maddening. When I have a session like that, I chalk it up to early season yuck, and go home. It will be better next time. Go back and hit it!!

That's what I did...I just got to a point where I'd had enough...picked up the clubs and walked home.

That's what I did...I just got to a point where I'd had enough...picked up the clubs and walked home.

That is 100% the correct move IMO.... no sense in grooving a bad move.

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

It's maddening.

I had my first maddening golf of 2010 today, so I can sympathize. Just the nature of the game unfortunately.

A good start to the season for me, spells doom for the reast of the year. It's like poker, you never want to win the first hand, always lose in the end!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

A good start to the season for me, spells doom for the reast of the year. It's like poker, you never want to win the first hand, always lose in the end!

I always try to win the first hand.... Always.

• SPY VIP

Didn't you just shoot 84? ;)

Hopefully "doom" is an understatement...

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• SPY VIP

Well...with a foot of snow last weekend, it will be a while before I get out for range session #2, LOL.

I am pretty sure that new snow erases any prior range work so best of luck when you touch the clubs for the first time this season. :wacko:

Volvo Intorqueo

I am pretty sure that new snow erases any prior range work so best of luck when you touch the clubs for the first time this season. :huh:

Can we agree that rain does the same thing??

• SPY VIP

I'll vote for rain if I can have your vote for cold & wind. I had put away my winter jacket and it's back below 30 today. Stupid weather.

70* and sunny yesterday, 50* and lots of rain

Spring is stupid sometimes

resets on the season for all IMO

Volvo Intorqueo

Rain is not as annoying as snow, and snow is not as annoying as wind and cold.

As someone who lives in the snow capital of the Midwest (or so it seems at times)... I can definitely tell you that snow is most certainly more annoying than wind and cold.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

70* and sunny yesterday, 50* and lots of rain

Spring is stupid sometimes

resets on the season for all IMO

We had two inches of snow last weekend and it melted off Monday. Just enuf to screw up my golfing weekend. How stupid is that?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

As someone who lives in the snow capital of the Midwest (or so it seems at times)... I can definitely tell you that snow is most certainly more annoying than wind and cold.

Playing golf while it is snowing is actually kind of fun. Then after when it is on the ground is when I get pissed at it.

Playing golf while it is snowing is actually kind of fun.

The longs hours we spend on this board must have warped your mind my young friend...

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

The longs hours we spend on this board must have warped your mind my young friend...

Yeah probably. I am now typing while eating my breakfast. An 80 calorie frozen pizza from whole foods, actually quote good.

My name is Jamo and I have a problem....

Yeah probably. I am now typing while eating my breakfast. An 80 calorie frozen pizza from whole foods, actually quote good.

My name is Jamo and I have a problem....

Haha, pizza for breakfast. NICE!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Agreed. Wind and cold make golf lame, but not impossible. When there's a foot of snow, golf is not happening, period.

Archived