Testers Wanted: Vortex Rangefinders ×

Numbered iron matching wedge...do you play it?

Most players I know use the pitching wedge that matches their numbered irons.
I've had a few sets where I didn't, these including my present one.
(A previous one was my Titleist DCI 962 set where I used a Gary Player Par Saver PW that I really liked,
but then, I at least had the matching Titleist PW if I wanted to use it..)

My 9-iron is lofted at 42°.
The set matching PW is lofted at 46°.
The manufacturer, Titleist, however, offers a very similar set but with stronger lofts.
The gap wedge from that set is 48°, and that's what I ordered as my pitching wedge.
I was afraid that bending the set matching PW to 48° would give it too much bounce.

With a 54-08 mid-wedge and a 60-04 lob wedge, that gives me even 6º gaps from 9-iron to lob wedge.
The complete lineup becomes

13.5° driver
20° driving iron
18, 21, 24° fwy wds.
5-9 irons (26-42°)
48, 54, 60° wedges
face balanced mallet putter.

Not for everyone, but every club that I need is in there.

Do any of our other forum members not use the matching pitching wedge?

tba

Posted (edited)

I don’t but I have - a number of years back I was gaming Wilson C100 irons 5-9 iron, SCOR 44, 48,53,58 at the bottom of the bag 

Edited by revkev

Driver: Taylor Made Xi10 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

Your club setup seems well thought out and tailored to your specific needs on the course. While many golfers do prefer to use the pitching wedge that comes with their set, there are certainly others who opt for alternative configurations, like yourself.

Some golfers might choose to customize their wedge setup to achieve more precise distance control or to fill specific yardage gaps. This could involve using a different pitching wedge, like a gap wedge, or even adding additional wedges to their bag.

scratch geometry dash

I play the pitching and approach wedge from my set but I have TaylorMade MG3 wedges for my 52, 56 & 60

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback

On 5/18/2024 at 10:23 AM, schooner44 said:

I play the pitching and approach wedge from my set but I have TaylorMade MG3 wedges for my 52, 56 & 60

Cool....five wedges.

Just the opposite of my top heavy set with four matching "woods" and a driving iron!

tba

When upgrading my irons last time, I experimented with set wedges. I paired my Apex Pro (21) 4-PW irons with an Apex Pro AW (50 deg), thinking the added forgiveness and same shaft (PX 6.5) would smooth the transition. However, my long game and putting gained strokes, while my approach shots lost strokes.

I've now decided to upgrade from the Apex PW (46), AW (50), and Jaws 54, 60 (all PX 6.5) to RTX wedges in 46, 50, 54, and 60 degrees with DG spinners. I hope the specialty wedges will enhance my touch on partial shots and improve my strokes gained on approaches.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8° - Aldila Tour green 60TX

Titleist TSi3 15° - Aldila Tour green 70TX

Titleist TSi2 18° - Aldila Tour green 70TX // Taylormade SIM UDI 18° - Diamana Thump 100X

Callaway Apex Pro 21 4-9 - Project X 6.5

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 46, 50, 54 & 60 - Dynamic Gold Spinner Wedge

Scotty Cameron Futura X // Odyssey Stroke Lab #7

//kajaar

On 5/21/2024 at 8:06 AM, RetiredBoomer said:

Cool....five wedges.

Just the opposite of my top heavy set with four matching "woods" and a driving iron!

I once had someone ask me "how many wedges do you need in your bag?" and I guess the answer is 5 lol. I don't hit far and I have the most confidence in my wedges so having a decent variety allows me to always have the club for the distance I need once I do get close. Hopefully as I get better, I'll learn how to adjust with smaller swings to get the needed distance but for now that usually just results in me chunking the shot or completely blading it over the green 🤣

Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver

Callaway Rogue ST Max D 5 wood

Callaway Rogue 7 wood

Callaway Rogue 11 wood

Callaway Rogue ST Max 4 Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Max OS Lite 6-AW

TaylorMade MG3 wedges (52, 56 & 60)

Scotty Cameron Select Roundback