Tuck or Untuck Golf Shirt Playing Golf

1 hour ago, RetiredBoomer said:

but I don't see anything wrong with an untucked shirt that was specifically designed as an untucked shirt.  The Caribbean Guayabera type shirts are a perfect example. They're great for golf...especially with a golf fedora instead of a cap.

Styling. Fedora's should make a comeback...

As for me, summer I wear mostly land ends' super T mock neck short sleeve untucked and winter change to long sleeve mock necks under rugby shirts, untucked. I don't style per se... 

or any other way

but I am damn comfy!

Jeez, I even wear cargo shorts exclusively 98% of the days here in AZ.

If people want to judge me by my clothes that's their problem, not mine. I prefer not to know people that simplistic anyway.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

No strong preference here as it relates to other people. For me, I was definitely team tucked until I got some golf shirts specifically designed to be untucked. They are great and don’t look sloppy. So I basically choose which looks best and go with that

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

3 minutes ago, Beakbryce said:

If people want to judge me by my clothes that's their problem, not mine. I prefer not to know people that simplistic anyway.

... I think a Therapist could make a good living with some MGS members:

"How does it make you feel having expectations about what other people are doing that has zero effect on you?"  🤪

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I think a Therapist could make a good living with some MGS members:

"How does it make you feel having expectations about what other people are doing that has zero effect on you?"  🤪

"Tell me about your mudder.  Did she tuck or untuck. And how did THAT make you feel?"

Driver - Callaway Ai Smoke Max - 9* - Draw setting; Maltby UL (Otto Phlex)
5/7 Wood - Takomo Ignis
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*) (currently benched)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*/DF3 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

I was  a natural untucker for years.  Just seemed like one less thing to worry about, looked good, unwrinkled shirt tails, etc.  But when a joined a private club, I just found myself tucking in my shirt and it has worked out okay, esp with newer fabrics, belts, etc. 

"Hit it hard. It's gotta lamd somewhere."

--Ben Hogan

UNTUCK!!! Unless it’s a more official kind of tournament. I hate when the back comes untucked and constantly needs to be tucked back in. I’ve got more important stuff to worry about when I’m playing, like which house is my drive going to hit.

Interesting question, I like both depending on the weather.  However when I play with the shirt untucked, it does get annoying since the shirt would get caught on club hanlde at times.  Need the right kind of untucked shirt

Golfer from the North

Tuck in, but this is more a function of my age - 71; than a principled position, the same as to why I wear collared shirts and no denim. No real reason for any of these style choices. 

I used to care more about what people wore. I think if you are playing a nice private club or a club that enforces a dress code you should comply. If every course on the planet dispensed with their dress codes, I would probably play 50/50 rounds untucked vs tucked. Some outfits look/feel better tucked in. 

:mizuno-small: STZ 230 9.5*/STZ 230 Hybrid 21.25*/ Pro Fli-Hi 21* ➖ MALTBY TS1-IM 5-GW ➖ :benhogan-small: Equalizer II 54* / Carnoustie 60* ➖ L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 
HackMotion Official Review -- 

22 hours ago, Play18 said:

Do you tuck or untuck your golf shirt when playing golf, not including golf courses with dress codes? I was always Team Tuck, but I recently tried the untucked style and am starting to like it. I'm in good physical shape, and my wife thinks my athletic/modern-style shirts look better untucked. What do you think?

Change My Mind.jpg

untucked.png

Depends on two things for me: 1.) what shirt am I wearing?, and 2.) what type of golf course am I playing that day?

Unless I am playing at a super-ritzy private course, my shirt is generally worn untucked.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Titleist TSi1 (with additional sole weight), Ventus TR Blue 5R (tipped 1/2”)

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Tour Edge Exotics C722, XCaliber 95-R graphite (hard-stepped)

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll Ev8

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

4 hours ago, Alf. S said:

I'm normally a shirt tuck in guy but if I'm getting really hot I will untuck.

I lost around 42lbs a couple of years back and since then the shirts tend to fit me better and I don't have the belly overhang that I used to have, much more comfortable with the shirt tucked in.

BTW profile picture is me tucked in at 220lbs now around 180lbs.

Congrats on the weight loss.

:titelist-small: Linksmaster bag  

:titelist-small:  TSR3 11° Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6 stiff

:titelist-small:   TSi2 16.5° and 21° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7 stiff 

:titelist-small:  T200 Utility Build 22° Graphite Design Tour AD 85 HY stiff

:titelist-small:  2021 T200 5-P Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff

:vokey-small:  SM9 48.10F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 105 stiff52.12F Nippon Pro Modus³ Tour 120 stiff and 58.10S Jet Black Premium True Temper AMT Black-Black Onyx S300

Scotty Cameron   2022 Special Select Jet Set Newport 34" 350g

ArccosSig.jpg.ebcfd079607adabd46a71d6125ee2ab6.jpg P3 sensor, Caddy Smart grips, and Apple Watch

:titelist-small:  ProV1x

Tucked, because at this stage in my life, it feels weird to play without it tucked in.

Ping G425 SFT Driver

Ping G425 SFT 3 Wood

Taylormade M4 Rescue

Mizuno JPX 921 HMP Irons

Callaway Jaws 54/ 58

Odyssey Tri-Hot Rossie S

1 hour ago, Beakbryce said:

Styling. Fedora's should make a comeback...

I was on a mission to find a good sun hat this summer to protect my face and ears. I have long hair so finding something that had space for a pony tail was key for me. I happened to find two options that were described as Fedora with pony tail port. 

The one I ordered has a brim a bit larger than I think of when I think Fedora, but it's still a good fit and really easy to wear while I play a round of golf. 

IMG_6517.jpeg.8dea08226784bef4c913eb8cb24b75ac.jpeg

I think the next time I buy a Fedora I'll get the Wallaroo Gabi 

https://wallaroohats.com/products/gabi?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADN5jIHBx8jf_JVDxYE8XvlHU3yQ-&gclid=CjwKCAjwhvi0BhA4EiwAX25uj_X_SJwghirNbhoXkhgOiHNjOVBmbNjDzUD-mh81VDziOR0KSTAc2xoCGK8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

I don't have strong feelings either way as there are sufficient golf shirts out there that look smart untucked and are seemingly tailored for that.

This week I'm playing at a friends' private (v expensive for Indiana) golf club where I'm told the dress code is strict. No cargo shorts and tucked shirts only.

The last time I was a member of a GC was early 90s in England and their dress code was still long socks with tailored shorts if you insisted on uncovering your legs. Those old members would have a seizure if they saw modern US public courses. ha ha.

If I am going to play courses with strict dress codes more often, I need to shed the middle age spread. LMAO

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS) // :ping-small: G430 LST 9* (@8*) w. Mitsubishi Kai'Li White 60X

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7 // :odyssey-small: Toulon Design Memphis

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Since we're talking about golf fashion in some aspects, what'd y'all  think of Billy Horschel's sweater on Sunday? I felt like it was a nice homage to the Arnold Palmer era 

Screenshot2024-07-22at11_41_31AM.png.f222c1f3be7c667337b03f3ce10857cb.png

Screenshot2024-07-21at2_49_04PM.png.2856de85fb8fd6e8bac06d23dd039dcb.png

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

I'm absolutely UNtucked all the time as I don't ever play anywhere that has a tucked in policy. 

p.s. I'm of the old generation, been playing for over 50years, and was never into tucking in the shirt unless I had to.

:cobra-small: Aerojet LS 9° / Brava BGT SE F/4
:taylormade-small: Stealth FW 5 / TPT 16 MK/MT/SW
:taylormade-small: M3 3/19° Rescue / Fujikura Ventus Red 7-S
:ping-small: iCrossover 4 / :accra: Fx200H M4
:srixon-small: Srixon ZX7 (5-AW) - :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 120
:mizuno-small:  T20 56° & 60°/ :Nippon: ProModus3 Tour 125 Wedge
Royal GRIP V Sand Wrap
L.A.B. MEZZ.1 / L.A.B. :accra:
:maxfli: Tour X

3 hours ago, schmen082 said:

Definitely tucked!!!!  This is a tradition to the game that I enjoy.  Untucked looks sloppy. It doesn't matter how good of physical shape you are in.  When I see a player on the course with an unlucked shirt I immediately think this person doesn't care. I 100% know that isn't true, bit it's a feeling I get. There is a guy at my course who owns his own cart, wears basketball shorts and t shirts exclusively.    When he swings his whole belly comes out of his shirt.  YEAH I DON'T want to see that. Tuck it in. Show some class.  To be fair, I've never tried the untucked shirts that are made to be untucked. They are probably super comfortable,  but in my opinion they aren't for being on the course.    People will disagree and that's okay.  Having said all of that, I don't despise people who untuck. I just prefer a more professional look.  

So this is like reading another language.  There isn't a private course around me that would allow you to play in a t shirt and basketball shorts, forgetting the "tucked or untucked" initial question.  

Heck, most won't even let you BE on the property without the proper dress (incuding being tucked). 

Team Tuck all the way. I find it way more comfortable, and it looks neater and smarter. 

Polos were made to be tucked, folks. 

Team Tucked for me 99% of the time. Pretty much the only time my shirt is untucked is if I am out on the course in the evening with my boys and we are just playing a handful of holes after the last tee time of the day.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 60S

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

I dont mind either way, but untucked wins for me more often than not. As others have said, constantly having to retuck with this dad bod makes things rather annoying.

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

I'm team Tucked.  I just think it looks better and offers a bit of respect to the game.  I know - folks used to wear ties and jackets and times change - but this was asking what I preferred.  At our club, they say shirts must be tucked in, but many play with them untucked. Does it both me - nope - that is their choice, but I will wear mine tucked in.  That's why I like certain brands - like Foot Joy - that are longer so they stay tucked in given my torso is proportionately longer than my legs.  

It would be interesting to see a survey with demographics as I suspect those under 40 or so would be more heavily untucked while those over 50 would be tucked.  

The one thing I know we can agree upon - let's play golf with shirts tucked or untucked and have more fun out on the course vs. worrying too much if shirts are tucked, hats are backwards, or we are wearing cargo shorts :-). 

Bill 

I live in NC, golf as often as possible, play the Amateur Players Tour when I can 

I’m probably 50/50. Just depends on my mood and where I’m playing. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

7 minutes ago, ReggieTurner44 said:

UNTUCK all day, you should be relaxed and having fun playing golf. Tucked suggests otherwise, plus you look like a nerd.

I think the nerd look has more to do with me pulling the waistband on my pants up under my armpits, thanks.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

I agree that it's weather-dependant. My default is tucked (years of military & corporate training) but I appreciate being able to go untucked on hot days.

New to Golf but experienced in Life!