Callaway Opus Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

@60_SecondJes

I’m waiting to see what the testers say about the wedges they are testing, then if good things are mentioned I will do a search for callaway fitters in the area, then hit a local course that carries callaway with a driving facility and chipping area. 
I have Mizuno 24s right now but remember back in the day callaway wedges had some awesome stopping power. 

Titleist TRS Driver, Titleist TSR 3 Wood, Titleist TRS 2 Hybrid, Titleist T300 irons, Vokey SM9 wedges 56 - 60, Scotty Cameron putter. 

Congrats to the testers!  Looking forward to the reviews.

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

Congrats to the winners! We look forward to your findings.

Mizuno MP33 irons - Stiff, standard length, 1º flat

Krank Rage head on a Penley Extra Stiff 46" shaft

Right handed

Lawrenceville, GA

12 handicap - but I'm "Workin' on it."

Posted my intro! Can't wait to get these bad boys and see what the Opus wedges are all about

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

Congrats to the testers! I am very interested to hear what everyone has to say about the Opus Wedges. I have two sitting in my cart online. I’ve played Vokey wedges for the last 7+ years, because I really like the grind on those wedges. The ones I currently play are getting worn out, so I would love to hear what golfers say about the feel, grind, different types of shots you’re able to hit!

Craig Y. 

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Callaway Opus Wedges - 2024 Forum Review

Intro is up folks! Looking forward to this test, I went to PGASS today and they only had a single 60* platinum OPUS to swing and a single shaft. So was not able to do a fitting which I am glad I did not set something up to test because there would have been nothing to get fit into!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

18 minutes ago, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

Intro is up folks! Looking forward to this test, I went to PGASS today and they only had a single 60* platinum OPUS to swing and a single shaft. So was not able to do a fitting which I am glad I did not set something up to test because there would have been nothing to get fit into!

well that stinks.

WITB

Cobra Radspeed 10.5 driver

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Cleveland zip core wedges 52,56,60

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

On 8/20/2024 at 3:21 AM, GolfSpy_SHARK said:

GolfSpy_Shark – Callaway OPUS Wedges (2024)

Introduction to The Shark:

For anyone that does not know me my name is Mark Lacasse, father of 2 children, a pup named Winston (name comes from the show New Girl), and husband to my wife of 7 years who puts up with my golf addiction, which of late has not been satisfied (only 5 rounds this year so far unfortunately) but God willing I will be ramping up coming into the most beautiful part of the season here in Massachusetts. The “Shark” reference comes from nieces and nephews calling me Uncle Shark.

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

I have been a part of MGS for a few years and have discussed a broad range of topics with so many folks here. Several I have met and others I look forward to meeting. Luckily had the chance end of 2023 to become a part of the moderator team which is truly enjoyable even though it has been hampered the past few months with work obligations.

@GolfSpy BOS and myself (I am not the short one)

1.jpg

My golf game I cannot complain about right now. The times I have been out I have my woes but with substantial time off I do not see a major setback in scoring, just a little more inconsistent from time to time. If I had to summarize my game as whole, I would say I rely heavily on feel during a round and tempo. I am not someone that goes to a range a lot, I prefer working on my game on course rather than smashing a bucket of balls. When I am on course I get out of sorts when my backswing is sped up and with that I tend to get very hosely on strikes, luckily the past few years that has been few and far between because I have learned to catch myself doing it and I can break the cycle.

For a long time my game was heavily reliant on being long off the tee, scrambling to the green (especially around the green) and then hopefully draining a putt. Now I am a little shorter off the tee, far better on approach shots and when I get close to the green am pretty consistent on hitting good wedge shots close and not 3 putting.

As far as my bag, I am a pretty committed person and do not like to change to much to often. I have not changed a single club in my bag this year. My current setup is in my signature and for these wedges to take a spot as my gamers there is going to need to be a few specific things they do.

The Callaway OPUS platinum wedges intrigued me because my golf journey started a long time ago but I did not get really serious until 2018. I was fitted a few around then in 2019 for Cleveland CBX2 wedges, I had a much steeper swing at that time so the intent with those was to counteract that chunky wedge. Fast forward to 2020 I made some substantial swing changes especially in my short game, with that the CBX just were not a fit and I graduated to Vokey SM7 which are still currently my gamers. They stood the test of time and I really elevated my wedge game during that time to now where I am extremely confident with a wedge in my hand.

I have been in the market this year but just really was not sure if I wanted a change. I enjoy using my wedges for a full range of shots but my 48* and 52* are weapons for a large range of yardages and I can play several types of shots with either but I have noticed I am definitely losing some spin into the green especially on shots I would expect to see a little zip on the ball with a bounce and check. This is where I am hoping the Opus Platinum wedges shine.

Pre-Test Thoughts:

I have said it before I will say it again, I am not a data junky, but I know when I hit a ball well, when I do not and with my swing I know what my general shop shape should be. With that said here is my testing plan for these wedges:

1) Lots of practice at the practice green. Like I said before I do not love the range, but the practice green is another story. I love hitting wedges and putting if I have the time. I can hit full shots with wedges I know that, it’s the touch shots that these wedges need to stand out on. Can I consistently get into a designated area from 30 yards and in (ideally I would like to see myself putting the ball to 10’ consistently). I will test this out by just designating an area on practice greens and seeing if I can get that check and stop shot.

2) Am I seeing an improvement on proximity to the hole from 90 yards and in with these wedges. I have seen my ball rolling out a little bit more then I am used to this year so on those shots 90 and in I am not able to snag those 1 putt birdie or par saves. I will accomplish this by tracking hole by hole when I play what my general distance is from the hole when I actually hit these wedges. This will be from all yardages.

I will have more as we continue on with this test but for now these are the key items for me. With that I cannot wait to get these in hand and get some rounds in with some easy knock in birdies!

I don’t know man… I may not be the tall one in the photo, but I’m not the one wearing crocs in a public setting either. 🤣

:taylormade-small: Qi10 - Terra Forza White | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :ping-small: G430 3-Hybrid - Kai'li White 80s

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:L.A.B.: Mezz Max | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | Vortex Blade | Ghost Maverick Black Ops - Forum Edition | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

Went and got "fit" today! I had a somewhat similar experience as @GolfSpy_SHARK at the PGATSS, but at least they had more than one wedge! 🤣 I am super excited to get this test rolling, the fitting showed a lot of promise. I ended up picking the 50 and 56 degree wedges to match my current set, as the Opus wedges look to be a solid 10-15 yards further for me on a solid hit which was pretty surprising. The spin numbers looked great as well, with a yard or less of rollout on well struck shots.

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

Awesome knowing we're a step closer to testing these wedges! I have some friends that are curious.

As for specs I have the following on the way:

Opus in brushed chrome for both wedges.

54° with 12° of bounce in S grind, and 58° with 8° of bounce in their C grind. Going through all the online fitting tools these will be the most versatile for me to test compared to my current setup and how my swing is. 

Again.....this opportunity is amazing, I'm really excited to get these wedges and get testing!!!!

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

Awesome knowing we're a step closer to testing these wedges! I have some friends that are curious.

54° with 12° of bounce in S grind, and 58° with 8° of bounce in their C grind. Going through all the online fitting tools these will be the most versatile for me to test compared to my current setup and how my swing is. 

Here are some pics of my current wedges. Titleist AP2 Gap wedge in 50°, and forged Cleveland 588 56° with 14° of bounce. Both still do their jobs, so it will help with comparison testing to some degree.20240827_200917.jpg.eb650b8dccd364c81499a0f4a4a20802.jpg20240827_200935.jpg.f728353f87fb180b94e562086884bdbf.jpg20240827_201014.jpg.bc3f6083f79a3fc201a1e76384f0e42a.jpg

Again.....this opportunity is amazing, I'm really excited to get these wedges and get testing!!!!

20240827_201024.jpg

20240827_201048.jpg

Scott J

Already fired up to get them in!! I wanted to start getting some baseline data on the wedges I have now, but the weather decided to rain on my parade quite literally. I was only able to get a few 40 yard shots in there with my current gamer 52 and 56 Juggernaut wedges.

image.png.a16d72a9947dcde1f95eafa9f6989f25.png

The numbers posted are the averages of 5 shots for each club with few outliers removed (felt a bit chunky today :D). Would have loved to collect more but as I mentioned, dang weather decided to kick in. Lots more to come, spies! Stay tuned!

Edited by Chux13
Mention of outlier data removal.

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

9 hours ago, injectedcutty said:

Here are some pics of my current wedges. Titleist AP2 Gap wedge in 50°, and forged Cleveland 588 56° with 14° of bounce. Both still do their jobs, so it will help with comparison testing to some degree.20240827_200917.jpg.eb650b8dccd364c81499a0f4a4a20802.jpg20240827_200935.jpg.f728353f87fb180b94e562086884bdbf.jpg20240827_201014.jpg.bc3f6083f79a3fc201a1e76384f0e42a.jpg

20240827_201024.jpg

20240827_201048.jpg

would love to know your secret on how you keep those wedges clean looking.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

Odyssey/Goodwood  putters-models works 7 for odyssey and Goodwood custom putters switch out from time to time.

7 hours ago, bama no 1 said:

would love to know your secret on how you keep those wedges clean looking.

I'm real picky about my clubs. I clean them constantly when playing. Even if I take a practice swing and get crud on the face I'll clean it off before hitting.

Scott J

Alright people! Really excited to get this test rolling.

for now wanted to talk about my current setup and what I chose to go for in the Callaway. Currently gaming SM7s 52F and 60D. Going to the Calloway’s there is a few changes  I am going to make, which are going to a 54 instead of 52 but that grind is virtually the same which is good, that 54 will be an all around performer. For the 60 I am sticking with that loft but the grinds are very different going from a high bounce to low bounce.

Below are a few snaps of my gamers and referencing between the grinds I went with:

IMG_4482.jpegIMG_4480.jpegIMG_4481.jpegIMG_4483.jpegIMG_4484.jpegIMG_4485.jpegIMG_4486.jpegIMG_4487.jpeg

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

On 8/28/2024 at 12:50 PM, injectedcutty said:

I'm real picky about my clubs. I clean them constantly when playing. Even if I take a practice swing and get crud on the face I'll clean it off before hitting.

i clean mine after each round and between shots but still have wear marks on the face.

WITB

Cobra 3 wood

Nickent hybrid

PXG 0311 3-PW 

I got fit for a set of opus wedges the other day at my local club on a Callaway fitting great experience would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about purchasing new wedges. One club was a 60* going 80 yards and with a bit less bounce it went 100

3 hours ago, Thomas Crosse said:

I got fit for a set of opus wedges the other day at my local club on a Callaway fitting great experience would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking about purchasing new wedges. One club was a 60* going 80 yards and with a bit less bounce it went 100

Nice! What was great about the fitting?

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

On 8/23/2024 at 5:51 PM, GolfSpy BOS said:

I don’t know man… I may not be the tall one in the photo, but I’m not the one wearing crocs in a public setting either. 🤣

Haha, hey now..... sometimes crocs are necessary.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

6 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

Haha, hey now..... sometimes crocs are necessary.  

Nope, Crocs are never necessary. Ever. 🐊

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

22 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

Nope, Crocs are never necessary. Ever. 🐊

Ha. Sure they are. Down at the lake, lawn work, house chores. 

32 minutes ago, Josh Parker said:

For kids, sure.

Lake = flip flops. Lawn work = shoes. House chores = house slippers or tennis shoes.

Crocs = being made fun of by anyone and everyone. 😉 Just saying.

Edited by Shrek74

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!!

14 minutes ago, Shrek74 said:

For kids, sure.

Lake = flip flops. Lawn work = shoes. House chores = house slippers or tennis shoes.

Good thing I have thick skin then. Haha. 

1 hour ago, Josh Parker said:

Love my crocs. ALWAYS made fun of my friends for wearing them...till I owned a pair. Most versatile footwear for daily tasks I own.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 9|Tour AD-UB 6S (testing in progress)

Fairways: :titleist-small: GT2 15 & 18|Tour AD-UB 7S (testing in progress) |:cobra-small: Aerojet Max 7|Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H|MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW|KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :titleist-small: Vokey SM10 52.12F|56.12D|True Temper Vokey Wedge Flex

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour & :titleist-small: ProV1

#LeftyGang

Titleist GT Long Game Test (Link Here)

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_KFT said:

Love my crocs. ALWAYS made fun of my friends for wearing them...till I owned a pair. Most versatile footwear for daily tasks I own.

@Shrek74 see..... you are missing out!  

4 hours ago, Josh Parker said:

That picture is literally next to our camper, if you aren’t crocking it camping the. I don’t want to know ya 😂

3 hours ago, Shrek74 said:

For kids, sure.

flip flops are things for your toes, I don’t need floss between my toes 😂

Check out my reviews:

WITB: