Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Best tips at the driving range sessions for beginners

Spend a few hours a weekend at the driving range working on my swing. My biggest issue right now when I play a round is finding confidence in my driver, which usually leads to a slice, and finding consistency with my 3 wood and long irons. My mid/ short iron game is pretty consistent, and my wedges are never an issue. Any tips, drills, and recommendations for someone who’s played for 4 months this year, and not playing for 6 years prior to that?

much appreciated 

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

:tour-edge: Bazooka Max D 10.5 Driver

:tour-edge: Bazooka Max D 3 wood

:callaway-small: Razr X 3 hybrid

Orlimar SF302 4I- PW

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy CB 52/56/60

Get your swing timing right first. I love slap shot drills especially if you struggle with topping the ball. If you do this wrong you'll just miss. 

then just play a few imaginary holes. 

Tee off. If you screw up play the next one like you would have to fix it. Ie shorted the driver you're probably long iron or wood onto the green. 

Pay attention to your mistakes. Focus your range time on fixing those. 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

Most people are going to recommend lessons to start, as would I based off the details you provided. A slice can be caused by a myriad of things and without a video or pictures of the swing it would be hard for anyone with experience to give it. 

There’s definitely the option to go and beat balls at the range but without knowing what to fix you risk ingraining bad tendencies even more. 

Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum. There’s a lot of information here and people with more knowledge than I when it comes to good golf swings. 

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test

9 hours ago, Mrich2021 said:

confidence in my driver, which usually leads to a slice, and finding consistency with my 3 wood and long irons.

What would give you “confidence”.  This means you have some level of expectation that you didn’t provide.  Without knowing your level of expectation we can’t help you determine if those expectations are realistic.  

f you don’t know why you slice, there are numerous reasons, we can’t provide you with any advice or drills on how to fix the problem.   

the basic answer is the club face is open to the club pat at impact which causes the ball to move left to right.  Fix the cause of that and you will reduce your slice.  

Edited by cnosil

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am constantly fighting an over the top, out to in, swing with the driver that leaves the face open.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been using the Tour Aim. I th8nk it’s a helpful tool. Both for alignment - I tend to creep right sometimes.  But I really like the little slots to stick an alignment stick in at an angle - have to swing under it. I’ve found it helpful.

IMG_1991.jpeg.0f6fe60c28042ab79548b9fbfc016905.jpeg

I can hit some draws with the stick in, and as soon as I take it out my path changes almost immediately. So work to do…  My Skillest coach actually suggested using the fairway wood setting, that driver angle is really low  

I use it in my backyard and have taken it to the range when I’m traveling 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

9 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

Most people are going to recommend lessons to start, as would I based off the details you provided. A slice can be caused by a myriad of things and without a video or pictures of the swing it would be hard for anyone with experience to give it. 

There’s definitely the option to go and beat balls at the range but without knowing what to fix you risk ingraining bad tendencies even more. 

Good luck on your journey and welcome to the forum. There’s a lot of information here and people with more knowledge than I when it comes to good golf swings. 

Yup. Get a lesson. Get the basics looked at - stance, grip, takeaway, etc.

Why do I say this? Because I spent TWO YEARS fighting a banana slice that made me not want to play. Literally in the first 5 mins of a lesson, the pro showed me how poorly I was set up with my shoulders pointed 40 yards left of my target. I had no choice but to come OTT and wipe across the ball. No single YT vid or internet tip would have helped me with that. That alone made a massive impact in my game.

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Another vote for getting a lesson.....but if you are not in a place to be able to get lessons, I would focus as much as you can on fundamentals. Stance (Everything square as @russtopherb mentioned), Grip, Aim, weight transfer, takeaway.

The driver is incredibly hard to hit and the 3 wood isn't much better. I disciplined myself to leave the driver out of my bag till I was confident with my irons. I was breaking 90 consistently with taking a 5 hybrid off the tee and that was a lot more fun than hitting slices OB; that doesn't help you with your swing, but scoring lower definitely makes golf more fun.

Not knowing your swing at all....I have seen this drill help quite a few of my buddies get rid of their hook

https://www.tiktok.com/@darins_wedge_work/video/7207972426322529582

But again, One lesson will save you hundreds of dollars on range balls, lost balls during the round, lost bets, and clubs broken over your knee...

Cobra Aerojet MAX 9* 

Cobra Air X 3 Wood

Cobra BioCell 7 Wood

Sub 70 699 Pro 4-AW

Cleveland CG 56*

Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

20 hours ago, Mrich2021 said:

Any tips, drills, and recommendations for someone who’s played for 4 months this year

Learn proper grip, posture, and alignment. That's it.

Jack Nicklaus "Golf My Way" and Tiger Woods "How I play Golf" are two excellent instruction books that teach these important address technique fundamentals, which are the foundation from which an effective repeating swing swill emerge.

23 hours ago, Swood1994 said:

Most people are going to recommend lessons to start, as would I based off the details you provided.

Plans for lessons are definitely on the future, leaning towards the beginning on next season, to start the new year fresh.

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

Orlimar SF302 4I- PW

6 hours ago, PrayingForPar said:

Another vote for getting a lesson.....but if you are not in a place to be able to get lessons, I would focus as much as you can on fundamentals. Stance (Everything square as @russtopherb mentioned), Grip, Aim, weight transfer, takeaway.

The driver is incredibly hard to hit and the 3 wood isn't much better. I disciplined myself to leave the driver out of my bag till I was confident with my irons. I was breaking 90 consistently with taking a 5 hybrid off the tee and that was a lot more fun than hitting slices OB; that doesn't help you with your swing, but scoring lower definitely makes golf more fun.

Not knowing your swing at all....I have seen this drill help quite a few of my buddies get rid of their hook

https://www.tiktok.com/@darins_wedge_work/video/7207972426322529582

But again, One lesson will save you hundreds of dollars on range balls, lost balls during the round, lost bets, and clubs broken over your knee...

Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll keep teeing off with a different club in mind until I can get my driver figured out.

IMG_0073.jpeg

IMG_0072.jpeg

Orlimar SF302 4I- PW

On 9/16/2024 at 10:31 PM, Swood1994 said:

without knowing what to fix you risk ingraining bad tendencies even more

Want to "second" that statement! I've spent too much time in the party doing just that - repping bad habits - and this making it even harder to transition into new, good habits...

A few tidbits that have helped me...

• Always practice with a purpose.
  • Work on one thing at a time.
  • With on that one thing for at most 20 minutes then switch it up or take a short break.
  • Always be hitting towards a target, not just 'out there'.
  • Always set up to the ball properly, as if you're playing an important round on the course.
  • Always change up clubs and targets after every few swings. 
  • Don't forget putting practice! 

Also consider a lesson now so you have a baseline and some drills to work on over the Winter (lots of practice you can off the range and not hitting balls!).

Be patient!!! Everyone learns differently and progress in this crazy game takes time...... Good luck!!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour. Or "found" Pro V1.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

followthrough.jpg

1 hour ago, Mrich2021 said:

Plans for lessons are definitely on the future, leaning towards the beginning on next season, to start the new year fresh.

I like to take lessons about halfway through the season. It makes sure that I’m showing up confident with my normal swing and all the off season rust is shaken off. It also allows plenty of golf to implement and work on the drills and instruction you get from the lesson. Just my 2-pennies.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S (currently Testing AI Smoke🔹🔹🔹)

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

2024 Skytrak+ Official Forum Test