Club fitting is a scam!

Louis_Posture

I have been fit by a private fitter,  a big fitter company, a local golf store, and by OEM Reps.

The private fitter saw me three different times and took all kind of measurements. It made a huge difference in my club performance.  I will add this was over thirty years ago and before fitting became the in thing and no track man then.  I still use some of the specs I got back then.

i did a fitting with Club Champion about 15 years ago, boy did I get taken for a ride.  Thought I could trust them, it was a terrible fitting. I played those overpriced clubs for a little over a year. They were never right for me.

The golf store fitter did a great job.  It was a shaft fitting for a 5 wood. 

Since then I have had 2 OEM fittings with Titleist, 1 with Callaway, and 1 with Ping.  I believe these are the best fittings you can get if you want their clubs. 

Overall I think fitting is important, if, you get the right fitter. 

Driver Titleist Tsi 3 9.75*
Fairway Titleist 5, 7 woods

Hybrd Titleist TSR 2 21* or

Utility iron Mizuno HiFly 4

Irons Mizuno Pro 245 5-P

Wedges Vokey SM9 48*, 54*, and 58*

Putter Scotty Cameron Newport super select

Ball Titleist ProV 1X

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

If you are a beginner or high handicapper, probably better to invest in quality lessons to find a repeatable swing 

Yes!

I wrote "scam" in the thread title because 90% of golfers shoot 90 or worse, really don't understand equipment or swing technique,  and are vulnerable to marketing scams. For example, if a company builds out an impressive shop with professional modern lighting, the latest technology measuring devices, state of the art screens, walls filled with colorful shafts, employees wearing tight fitting trendy golf clothes etc... the naive consumer will lap that up like a sumo wrestler at an all you can eat buffet.

I do believe a club fitting is beneficial for all players. But, I believe that the larger more expensive fitting venders (and you know who they are without mentioning their names)seem to push what ever brand is the flavor of the month or new introduction into the golf market. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not the fitting that’s so expensive, it’s the product they push that drives the price to unaffordable. Best way to go is to go try different brands, shafts, and heads at your local big box store Ex.(Dick’s, Golf Galaxy, PGA Store)and settle on the above mentioned using their launch monitors. Then go find a set on eBay or other outlets that either match your specs you feel comfortable with. There are literally hundreds of sets of practically new club sets out there for sell at a reasonable price. Additionally, the set doesn’t have to be perfect as far as specs, you can always have them bent to your liking. I believe all this information can help yourself make a logical decision save you a bunch of money in the long run. Myself, I’m fortunate enough to have my own Mitchell iron bending machine which makes it a bit easier to make adjustments on a set of clubs that don’t match my specs. Thanks for listening. Best of luck in finding your best game.

Oh I understand that there are many different types of shots on the course due to weather, lie, objective, etc. I just don’t understand how getting a specific fitting for each condition is going to be of any benefit. If you use all those data points to determine the best fit then either end up with multiple versions of the same club or an average.  Just don’t understand the concept. 

1 hour ago, Braehead said:

That's the photo from my GT review - would have been nice if you'd asked to use it or if you included the review itself.....

Apologies, but if it's been posted on the forum it's fair game to use for the newsletter. I'll make a note to not use any more of your photos tho.

⛳🛄 as of Oct 5, 2024 (Past WITB
Driver:  :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ - check out the Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :titleist-small: GT2 with Graphite Design AD CQ shaft (still love my Cobra F7's)

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron                                

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,57 or :titleist-small: SM10 45,49,53,57 degree wedges

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png LINK! Full putter shootout incoming

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Golf Bag: Ghost Anyday 5.0 Golf bag - Maverick colorway with MGS Logo

Other: Vortex Anarch Rangefinder, searching for electric cart, Red Rooster The Root Glove and more

I feel like there are equal parts ego/self-awareness, and basic knowledge that I needed to have (but didn’t) before going to my first fitting.  By ego, I mean I needed to be aware of moments when I let it cloud my judgement or allowed it to be stoked by the fitter.  

The best fitter I worked with asked me a LOT of questions about my game, preferences, and what I hoped to gain (setting expectations), and he was a student of the swing.  So before we started I warmed up and then he video captured my swing with driver, fairway woods, long, mid, and short irons, and my wedges.  We talked about my swing and what elements were pretty stable and what I was working on, and THEN we talked about my interests in certain brands and models why I liked them/considered.  

Like a lot of fitters I’ve noticed, he repped specific brands (TM, Mizuno, Titleist, Ping, and Callaway) but he had some one-off clubs like a set of Srixon irons, and a driver brand I hadn’t seen.  He put me in my interests first and recorded the numbers, tried some different shafts, and then he gave me feedback and suggested his top three to try based on what he was seeing in my swing and results.  

It cost $250 for 2.5 hrs working with him, some of which I would get back when I ordered.  It was well worth it because I ended up with an iron set I hadn’t considered with a shaft I hadn’t looked at, and the numbers were undeniable across the board: ball speed, carry, spin rates, flight, etc., and I had two sets to choose from with very close numbers - one I liked the look and feel of and the other not so much.

Since getting spoiled by that experience I’ve had others that were clearly not as comprehensive but also not 2.5 hrs long, and seemed more about trying to get me into a certain brand or just make a sale.  But I had a great experience with PXG in Minneapolis, and the online putter fitting I did with LAB, and clearly they weren’t repping multiple brands, but I went in with numbers on my current clubs based on swing monitor readings and knew I was interested in their products if they outperformed what I’d seen in other sets.  

I think you get what you put into fittings, and you can’t expect to walk into most fitters and say “here I am, what should I play?”  It’s a partnership, like a caddy.  The more you share in the process the better the outcome.

Dan Yates, 55 year old trying to qualify for PA Senior Amateur in 2024; searching for some magic in my game again

I will get fitted for clubs AFTER I work on my swing to get better consistency.  Not get fit to be more consistent.  I want to have a repeatable swing so that when I do get fit the clubs will match my swing.

I you get fit while your have an inconsistent swing then on one swing a softer flex shaft might have helped , but the next swing a stiffer shaft would have been better. So how in he-double-hocky-sticks

can you get fit with an inconsistent swing. Work on your consistency first then a fitting will make a bigger difference.   

The question then becomes how consistent do you have to be for a full fitting to be worthwhile. If your score keeps jumping up and down by 10 strokes or more and you feel you still want to change clubs,

then the best thing  is to go to a store that has a good club test bay and try different clubs and buy the ones you feel good about.  If there is a competent salesperson to help fine. But I wouldn't spend

a few hundred bucks to get fit by a pro unless I take lessons for a Pro to teach me how to hit the dang ball properly  first. 

Invest your money where it will do the most good.

Pete

In my      :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:

Driver:    :ping-small: G425 LST, set to 9.0, graphite stiff-flex,  Tour S 65 

3W:          Taylormade Jetspeed Stiff Flex

2H:           Taylormade Jetspeed Regular Flex  ( yeah I know got it on sale and love it as is)

3H:           Taylormade RBZ stiff flex

Irons:        Tatlormade RBZ steel stiff flex

Wedges:  :ping-small: GMax, Yellow Dot, CVS 70 graphite, PW, UW & SW, Ping Glide Dyla-Wedge (white color code)

Putter:     Odessey 

Ball:       Titlest ProV1x

Shoes:   :footjoy-small:

Like anything else it's all related to the quality of the individual (doing the fitting). I've been fit by an independent fitter and it was a great experience with significant differences (distance & dispersion) between brands.  I had a fitting at a big box golf store earlier this year - the fitting was for a driver (looking to upgrade from my Sim2). This was an indoor fitting (which I hate BTW), with the end result being he recommended I should take the driver (permanently) out of my bag. I didn't listen to him and a month later upgraded to a Stealth2. That driver BTW is working great for me. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

It can be a scam but it can be helpful. I am a 5 handicap, 72 years old. About 5 years ago I tried Club Champion and was fitted for $300 per iron Wilson irons. I did not buy them. I had a Ping G400 driver. I bought an upgraded shaft for $180. I was told it added 12 yards to my distance. I used it outside and it went shorter than the stock shaft and I was stuck with the shaft. I know people who swear they have gained yardage, but most of my friends feel the only purpose is to sell you more expensive shafts.   

1 hour ago, Louis_Posture said:

Yes!

I wrote "scam" in the thread title because 90% of golfers shoot 90 or worse, really don't understand equipment or swing technique,  and are vulnerable to marketing scams. For example, if a company builds out an impressive shop with professional modern lighting, the latest technology measuring devices, state of the art screens, walls filled with colorful shafts, employees wearing tight fitting trendy golf clothes etc... the naive consumer will lap that up like a sumo wrestler at an all you can eat buffet.

I would not necessarily bucket all who shoot 90 or worse as folks who would not benefit from a fitting. I DO agree however that a good lesson and consistent swing would help in the fitting process as that golfer would get a better baseline and fit to the clubs they are after.

I do agree with your initial post that a fitting cannot account for all of the different lies and swings a course would offer, but it would take hours and or days to go through every single type of lie you may face on the course. A proper fitting should be able to enhance on your baseline from the current gamers and provide an overall better swinging/striking experience for MOST of the swings you will have during a round of play. At that point, it really is up to the individual and their skill level with all of the other lies through a round.

In short, some consistency is key if a fitting is going to be effective. Someone who is new may still benefit, but it really does vary between each individual golfer. Do your homework, know what you are looking for, and make the judgement for yourself!! A proper fitting is a great experience I feel everyone should try at some point. 

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

:callaway-small: Opus Platinum Blue 53º S Grind and 58º Z Grind

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

I believe that there are two types of fittings. Having clubs fitted for your swing or the other, more useful, being fit for your physique. Getting the proper lofts, lies, length, and grip size are more beneficial to beginning/high handicap players. Having your clubs fitted to a non-repeating swing will only hamper a golfer’s ability to progress.

I believe that fittings are definitely beneficial, as the right shaft can make all the difference in your swing.  What I don't like is the company charging you for the fitting.  Most of the fittings at my local course are free (because they are trying to sell you on their brand), but Titleist still charges $100.  So if you have clubhouse money, who wants to pay an extra $100 to get fitted.  Yes I'm cheap!  But ultimately, with the price of a driver nowadays ($650 + tax for the new GT driver), I would think the fitting is already built into the price.  

Bottom line:  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just getting into golf.  First, play a lot and figure out your swing, take some lessons, did I say play a lot!  Then when you are ready to make some small improvements, go for the fitting.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

I think it depends on what your needs and expectations are. The purpose of a club fitting is to customize clubs to fit your body and swing style, enhancing your strengths and mitigating weaknesses.

Club fitting isn't intended to replace lessons, teach you course management, or how to hit particular shots.

Driver: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 10.5 loft, dialed down to 9.5, Project X HZRDUS T800 Orange 55g, 6.0(stiff)

Fairway Wood: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png  Mavrik 3 Wood 15 degree loft, Project X HZRDUS T800 Orange, 65g

Fairway Finder/Rescue Club: Tommy Armour 845 2 iron, True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Hybrid: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik 3 Hybrid, Project X Catalyst 65g

Irons: image.png.a4fd9ccd262e6afa89ac28ab0c13130f.png Mavrik irons (5-AW), True Temper Elevate 95 steel stiff shaft

Wedges: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Vokey  SM9 56 degree, F grind; 60 degree, M grind

Putter: image.png.e7e2add9d78f70b5d1cc57a961f020e6.png Scotty  Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5+

Ball:  image.png.04747de8f9aca055ccd980959d1e2014.png  Tour X

Is it? Well, a few years back, I went to a fitter, lots of positive press. I did the entire session and ended up with Taylormade R1 woods, hybrid and Rocketballz irons. These were at +1” length and a stiff flex.  Over the years, I did okay, not geat.  Eventually, I went to a different fitter, a former pro player from England. I brought in my clubs, swung all of them and he remarked, “why are your clubs +1” and stiff? I described my previous fitting and he nodded. He had me swing clubs off the rack, Callaway Epic woods & Apex irons.  They felt much smoother and fit better. I bought them. 

A few months ago, after years of reading about all the new gear coming out, I went back to the original fitter, just to his brain. Talked about the twist face, Ai, etc… He said they were gimmicks.  I mentioned that I had a fitter sell me a Taylormade with the adjustable dial on the bottom of the club head. The guy said “it didn’t do squat, just another gimmick”.  I then reminded him that he was the fitter that sold me the club. AWKWARD!!! 

So, are fittings a scam? Maybe, it just depends on which one you choose to fit your clubs.  Are they trying to sell the newest and most expensive clubs or are they trying to fit the right club for you and your game? Shop around, ask other golfers, shop owners, course managers & pros and choose whichever one gives you the best return on your questions. BTW: ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS!! 

11 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Given how the consistency in my game has improved since being properly fit for my clubs I'm going to wholly disagree.

Not only do I wish I had done it sooner, but going to add how much money it would she saved me from the endless cycle of buying something new that I think would have been a better fit.

Done properly fittings are crucial tools to helping golfers improve their games and get them into the proper equipment for them and their games.

... I think the OP makes several good points individually but as a whole I think most everyone disagrees with his premise. I think it is a little like saying fast food isn't a good idea, because of course it isn't. But if I am on a trip and it is the only option, I'll eat fast food because ... well ... it's the only option. Test driving a car a few blocks or trying on shoes and walking 10 feet back and forth on a carpet doesn't really give us a great idea about how things perform in the real world. But much better than just making  guess. 

... There are so many negatives about a fitting as it does fine tune a specific swing in a controlled environment because you have the chance to adjust with multiple swings. Most can make a heavier/lighter, stiffer/softer shaft work for them after several swings. As pointed out we don't have that opportunity on the course. And my main argument is we face pressure that causes tension both mentally and physically facing a shot with hazards when we know it counts and we don't have that pressure during a fitting. But the same can be said about a QB wearing a Yellow "Do NOT hit the QB" vest during practice that really doesn't simulate a game. But still much better than not practicing. 

... Of course it would be much better for a fitter to follow someone for 18 holes on multiple days on an empty course, and find the heads/shafts that work best when actually playing golf.  But of course that is impractical and unaffordable for anyone other than Bezos and Zuckerberg.

... It is a flawed system but it is still the best we have and I think any fitting has value for every player of every level. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

fitting discussions are always interesting.  For this thread we see “club fitting is a scam” with not definition of the word fitting.  Ideally there should be clarification as fitting can range from free help you find something that works to you need high dollar exotic shafts and clubheads to play golf.  

Sure 90% of golfers don’t know what they are doing with their swings or equipment; which simply means they need some level of assistance.   Buying what won on the PGA tour last week will not make you play better golf.   But if you go into a store or a golf course and try different clubs and you or someone helping you judges how they perform, isn’t that a type of fitting?   

Properly fit clubs do not make you a better golfer. You still need to develop skills to play better golf.  I know how all the pieces in the game chess move and the rules of the game, but that does not teach me strategy and how to better play the game.  A fitting is not always intended to replicate course conditions, nor should it.   IMO, the purpose of a fitting is to help a player find clubs that enable them to better hit a stock shot.  This is why you only hit a few shots and then switch to something else;  you are not hitting lots of shots trying to dial in new feels to make a club work better.  One the selection is narrowed down, I have always had the opportunity to swing the club and try different types of shots especially if I am on a driving range and you can get to various course conditions.  

Let’s talk personal experience.   I am one of the MGS most wanted testers which means I swing lots of different clubs and shafts every year.  what I consistently see is that clubs perform differently in all aspects.  Some spin more some less,  some launch higher some lower, some are fade biased some draw, etc.  There have been clubs used as part of testing that I would not be able to game due to how poorly they performed for me but they performed well for another tester.   I have seen testing done on a driving range where slower swing speed players were given a club that spun more and it improved both dispersion and distanced.   CLUBS MAKE A DIFFERENCE and you need to find ones that work for you and not against you.

Sure there are less than reputable fitters just like there less than reputable people in almost every line of business.  The original poster has also stated elsewhere on this and other forums that most instructors are a scam.   Fitting are not a scam and if you want to get a fitting understand the process and what is trying to be accomplished during the fitting and don walk in blind.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

1) 90% of golfers shoot 90 or worse and don't know what they're doing with their swing or equipment, so that equals a vulnerable consumer

2) fitters have a customer swing a dozen 6-irons in a row or a dozen consecutive driver shots, which is nothing at all like playing a golf course where a player may have 30 minutes or more in between driver swings

3) on the course a player may swing driver then wedge then putter then 7-iron then play a chip shot then  putter then 3-wood then 8-iron then bunker shot etc... and a fitting does not simulate this process of alternating clubs-swings

4) on the course a player faces uphill lies, sidehill lies, downhill lies, lies within the rough, hardpan lies, fairway bunker lies etc... and a fitting does not simulate any of these various lie types.

5) on the course a player may play full, 3/4, half shots, low punch shots, higher trajectory shots, fades, draws etc... and a fitting does not provide the environment to play this range of shot types.

6) on the course a player faces into the wind , downwind, cross wind etc... shots, but a fitting does not simulate any of these various wind conditions

7) company employees assigned to fit consumers and independent fitters both tell me their goal is not to teach swing technique or improve the customer's scoring average,  but only to try and marginally improve the customer's shots; for example reduce a bad driver shot from 30 yards off line to 25 yards off line.

So, I believe club fitting is a scam, a marketing strategy aimed at selling fitting-service-fees and, or selling equipment. That said, if a customer enjoys the experience of being fitted for clubs, has fun doing it, I can respect and appreciate the value of that.

I am not sure I understand completely why you think fittings are a scam. Reading your 7 reasons shows me that you had a very bad fitting experience or am I wrong? The first reason kinda validates getting a fitting or lessons, which should involve a pro suggesting a fitting in the lesson. Your second reason I have never experienced at a fitting except for warming up for the fitting. Once I have warmed up the fitter and I start working on the actual fitting and we go through every club in the bag with impact tape and usually foot spray on the face of the club to see where the ball is hitting the face and where the club is hitting the surface on an impact board. We also hit a ton of shots with a launch monitor. If the fitter isn't doing these things, leave the fitting. Reasons 3-6 would be nearly impossible to do in a fitting unless you and the fitter were on the course. I'm thinking lessons with a pro for those, or maybe a golf coach which I cannot afford to employ lol. Reason 7 I have never heard from a reputable fitter. I have been through a few fittings from Roger Dunn, PXG, PGA Tour Superstore, though private fitters like Gerry at Collindale Golf Academy in Fort Collins Colorado. I highly recommend Gerry BTW! I will be seeing Gerry in the spring. Anyway, I have never had a bad fitting experience yet, nor have I been pressured into buying something I didn't need. In fact, fittings have saved me money. Case in point, I was looking at some TaylorMade irons a few years back. They were hyped up on the PGA and all that jazz. I went to a golf store to buy them, I knew they'd have to be bent to my lie so I had that in mind too, which is why I was at the store. It could have been the PGA Tour Superstore, but maybe Golf Galaxy, I can't recall. But, I tried them out, couldn't hit them consistently, so I got a fitting right then and there. Turns out those irons were not for me, and we ran through a bunch of brands from Titleist to Ping, and I was best fitted in Mizunos and Project X LZ shafts. Those Mizunos, fitted to me at 2 degrees flat and 1 inch over standard were one of the best sets of Irons I have ever owned. My first fitting put me in a set of Titleist 990s and that fitting at Roger Dunn found out that I needed a flatter lie than standard and a little longer shaft. The point is, I would have never really known that I needed a flatter lie and longer shaft had I never gotten a fitting, and just this season Gerry at Collindale pointed out to me that I need to get another degree flat so now I am at 3 degrees flat. Again, none of the fitters tried to pressure me into buying anything, when I did buy something it was because I was in the store to buy something, but I wanted the best equipment for me and my swing so those fittings were worth it. Heck, the fittings for the Titleist GT tests the group in the forum are testing should provide evidence fittings aren't a scam. I hope you reconsider your thoughts on fittings, they really will help your game. Happy birdie hunting!!!

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* or EPIC Max LS 10.5* or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* 

Woods: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpg Mini or TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png Mini BRNR

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H, 4H, 5H 

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD 

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* 

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Sure 90% of golfers don’t know what they are doing with their swings or equipment; which simply means they need some level of assistance.   

Properly fit clubs do not make you a better golfer. You still need to develop skills to play better golf.  

CLUBS MAKE A DIFFERENCE and you need to find ones that work for you and not against you.

... cnosil excellent post and I cherry picked a few of your thoughts to make a point. This is an extreme example but still relevant.  I met a guy from Chicago here in Phoenix my first year playing and we became good friends. He is a retired high school shop teacher and one of those blue collar guys that is the salt of the earth and would do anything for a friend. So basically zero knowledge about golf equipment and he had an ill fitting Taylor Made driver with the wrong shaft for his swing. The rest of his clubs were cheap knock offs he bought at a local cheapo "golf" shop in Chicago.

... Steel shafts with no designation of flex or even who made them. They felt stiff and boardy. Some CB kinda heads that looked like they were made from Zinc and very unforgiving with a terrible feel. Same for his hybrids and fairway woods. I tried talking to him about getting new equipment and he admitted he needed to and would get around to it. Someday. But he didn't and in year 2, I booked us both a Callaway fitting so he would be comfortable and drove him to it. Like many he was embarrassed to swing in front of a stranger and I think that was the main reason he avoided a fitting.

... While I was hitting driver shafts for 1 hr, Paul took 30 minutes to go through every club Callaway offers and ended up buying everything. Driver, 3 and 5 woods, hybrids, irons and wedges. Softer shafts in Rogue ST Max OS irons and about as different as possible from what he was playing. He enjoyed the fitting and realized his fears were unfounded as his fitter made him feel comfortable about his swing. 

... My best guess is he lowered his score by 5-7 shots just by changing clubs after a fitting. Again, this is a very extreme example but Paul is one of those rare golfers that did become a better golfer just by changing clubs. I have worked with him on his swing and he has gone from shooting in the upper 90's and low 100's to shooting in the lower 90's and getting into the 80's. His low round is an 84. He could not have done that with the knock offs he was playing and a fitting was the key to his improvement. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

6 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Yes, I've learned the same thing from talking to people selling fittings as well as customers who've been for for new club specifications. Again the problem is that striking the same club several consecutive times in a  studio or driving range environment allows the player the opportunity to groove an effective swing tempo-rhythm with a lighter weight shaft, and lighter weight produces the "best numbers", so the fitter recommends lighter weight.

However, on the course when swinging that super light weight driver shaft only once every 15 to 30 minutes, and when playing a 6-iron into a 15 mph wind, or when standing on the tee box of a 180 yard par-3 hole upset after having made double the previous hole, the "light weight shaft grooved swing from the fitting" is gone and the player struggles.

Agree with you wholeheartedly!!  Heavier shafts are simply less influenced by all the possible variables.  The need to “time” the shaft is reduced.  The variability of 5-10 mph swing speed difference is reduced.  

As an example, my 23 year old son used my JPX-800 Pros with DG XP S300 shafts (~105-110g) for one year.  I have watched him hit the 7-iron anywhere from 160 to 194 yards…and everywhere in between.  His current irons are some 2008 TM Tour Preferred Irons with DG X100….and his 7-iron is landing between 175-185 every single time.  No fliers, and no short shots either.  He plays to a 12-15 handicap simply because he doesn’t play much, so that 10 yard dispersion is completely acceptable.  He doesn’t need to worry about timing the shaft, just swing and allow for the smaller natural variability.  We have since increased the shaft weight in his driver and woods and he has gotten much more consistent.

Driver - Titleist.png.498bc07308fe56d564be22c9431a5e18.png 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist.png.38f33ae482f03fcb0b418c4ad449014d.png 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - Titleist.png.db92d1d5ded4d1e2c006d38c55ff42d7.png 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Titleist.png.be3c490c674724282df255bccde13d6a.png Vokey Spin Milled 52/56/60

Putter - EVNROLLlogo.jpg.fe3da74474e04365077bd707c1132da3.jpg Neo Classic ER2

Ball - Titleist.png.0716431d8fbd49f30882f96bc07b7d40.png Tour Speed/Soft

Rangefinder - BushnellLogo.jpg.52d5c06a2ba66a8729d6938779ae75db.jpg Tour V5 Shift

I have never been “fit” for my clubs, other then the online fitting for my SM8 Vokey wedges.

Did a free fitting at my local store when the Qi10 came out and I was underwhelmed by the experience overall.  This was only for that specific club and wasn’t the best overall driver for me.

I do think there are advantages to being fit overall.  Can you play without a fitting, yes, but there is always the thought of potentially leaving something out there.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

6 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Apologies, but if it's been posted on the forum it's fair game to use for the newsletter. I'll make a note to not use any more of your photos tho.

I've no issue with you using any of my pictures - it's just nice to have the source acknowledged.  I'd do you the same courtesy! 

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

7 hours ago, Cfhandyman said:

I would humbly, respectfully and strongly disagree.   Now, are there poor fitters or one has had a poor fitting experience.  Absolutely.  Are there certain stores, where the primary purpose of a fitting is to sell you clubs.  True.  Yet, what are the alternatives?  Do nothing and buy whatever is on sale or hot at the moment or what your buddy is playing/recommends and hope you will improve, but never do.  Getting new clubs can be a daunting experience these days with so many options and so many good clubs available.  A fitting is one of the steps to help you narrow down the choices.  That’s why there are also driver fittings, woods/hybrid fittings, iron fittings, wedge and putter fittings to help you optimize the components in your bag. 

Now, if you have a good and competent fitter, it will result in a significant and positive difference.  A good fitting is an enjoyable and worthwhile experience.  At the very least, it will help you decide, what may or may not work for you and give you information to make an informed decision.  It is ultimately up to you to make the final decision to purchase or not purchase.  Now, I am rather fortunate in that I have been fitted many times by one of the best in the business, TXG (now Club Champion Canada) and it has had a huge and positive impact on my game.  But having well fitted clubs is only one piece of the equation.  Finding a good coach and getting lessons is the first step in the process.  Getting equipment that is fitted to you and your swing is the next step.  Diligent and structured practice as well as good course management are other pieces.  But most importantly have fun and enjoy your golf journey.  

Sorry, you may disagree, but that is my humble opinion.  One more piece to help.   

I am so sooooo jealous you get to go to Ian and Mikey.  You lucky, lucky golfer.

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

7 hours ago, frazzman80 said:

CAN paint my own car. It would work and I could choose to do it rather inexpensively with brushes and paint that I already have on hand. Or, I can use spray paint. Yeah…spray paint is definitely the way to go! 

Will it be perfect? Probably not. Will I second guess myself about the job I did? Probably so. But will there be new paint on my car? Can I use my car with that paint? YOU BET!

OR, I can take my car to a professional paint and body shop and have them paint my car. Will they have the proper equipment to make sure it is done right? Will they use the correct paint type? Will they offer me options they think are best given their expertise? YOU BET!

Now, is every paint and body shop created equal? Is “Bob’s discount paint and body” on a street corner in the bad side of town the same as “Royal Paint and Collision repair” in the half-million dollar building with 30 enclosed bays? 

That’s where you as the consumer have to decide. If Bob’s is $5,000 cheaper, there will still be paint on your car and you can still use it and it DEFINITELY WILL BE BETTER than you doing it yourself. Will it be as good as Royal’s job? Depends on the number of 5-star ratings right?

Don't sell yourself short. You’ll be driving that car and you’ll have to pay money for the paint regardless.

sooooo, you paint cars?  Can you paint my running boards? hehehe

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

7 hours ago, Thom said:

How is it when you get fitted by a manufacturer for clubs and get x specs then go back 4 months latter and they recommend totally different specs.

If your swing changes then yes, the numbers will change.  If the swing has not changed, DO NOT GO BACK.

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

I've done a number of custom fits and have to say they've been a mixed bag and very fitter dependent.  I've found most success if I've consistently worked with one fitter who knows my game well and what I'm trying to achieve. For all fittings though I think you need to be clear about what you want when you go and also set a clear budget so your fitter knows what they're working with.  

With iron fittings I've been stung by fitters going for distance and recommending irons that are too low spin.  They go a long way but have no stopping power.  For example, theres a well known manufacturer right now offering a challenge to beat your current irons and that looks to be all about distance.    

With driver fittings it can be easy to get carried away with marginal gains from upcharge shafts.  Again, be clear with your fitter and set a budget or prepare to be seriously upsold.  Ask to try your own driver again at the end of the session too as your swing will have changed from the 5 or 10 shots they used as your baseline.  Even see if you can try the shaft they recommend in your current head.  If you've got an adjustable driver then make sure the settings are as close as possible to the one your fitter recommends.  

I enjoy the process though and think I've done enough to understand the data I'm being shown and the differences to my own equipment.  

Oh, one final thing.  It's good if you can get fit using the balls you normally play with.  I think there's enough data out there to prove standard range balls are not the best for fittings.  

Driver: Ping G430LST, Kaili White S

3 Wood: Ping G430Max, Alta Stiff

3H: Callaway Paradym, Tour AD-DI 8S

4&5H: Callaway Apex Pro, Tour AD-DI 8S

6-PW: Taylormade P770 ('23 model), KBS Tour Lite S

50/54/60: Vokey SM9, KBS Tour Lite S 

Putter: Toulon Atlanta with KBS OneStep shaft

Ball: ProV1x (or Wilson Staff Model X)

1 hour ago, Braehead said:

For all fittings though I think you need to be clear about what you want when you go and also set a clear budget so your fitter knows what they're working with.  

This!!! ⬆️⬆️

Titleist GT3 11* Tensei 1k blue

Titleist TSR2 4w 16*

Titleist TSR2 5w 18.75*

MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

Vokey SM9 Wedges 50* 54* 58*

DF2.1 Putter