Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

2013 Nike Covert Experience

The Dansome

A bunch of the pages don't seem to work yet, or are on such heavy load that they aren't resolving.

The Covert Tour driver, either of the hybrids and the irons page just load a Nike.com page with no pictures nor info except the side bar on the left.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

• SPY VIP

A bunch of the pages don't seem to work yet, or are on such heavy load that they aren't resolving.

The Covert Tour driver, either of the hybrids and the irons page just load a Nike.com page with no pictures nor info except the side bar on the left.

Looks like site was under heavy updates load

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

This new "Covert" Driver somewhat resembles the Burrows Mac driver

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER2 w/Gravity Grip or  ER6 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip or Tommy Armour Impact No. 3

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Bridgestone RXS Mindset, Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm wondering what material they used to build the cavity section. The reason being is, while it's striking visually, it comprises more surface area than if it wasn't there. That means more material to build the cavity. That means more mass in that area unless it's a very light weight plastic or composite. It just seems like a gimmick. You could keep a traditional shape but use lighter materials in the center back portion to move weight to the edges for more moi. It seems like the shape is more for attention than function.

I'm wondering what material they used to build the cavity section. The reason being is, while it's striking visually, it comprises more surface area than if it wasn't there. That means more material to build the cavity. That means more mass in that area unless it's a very light weight plastic or composite. It just seems like a gimmick. You could keep a traditional shape but use lighter materials in the center back portion to move weight to the edges for more moi. It seems like the shape is more for attention than function.

Completely agree about it being a gimmick. The only argument I could see for it is it changes the sound/feel of the club. That said, it's still the top dog to beat right now of these February releases.

I've tested both drivers. Excellent ballspeed on very large areas of the face with the standard driver. Not extreme in any way when it comes to distance but superb on consistency. My best results came with the Pro Kuro Kage in standard head. Pro is a tough driver, not for everyone.

About the cavity and material. I agree. The material is there, it's just placed differently. To be honest I think Nike did this just because they could. They wanted to show the technology.

What do you guys think about this?

541814_10151328011079043_1375076507_n.jpg

Could you also elaborate on "tough Driver"?

Furu, correct me if I'm wrong, but with tougher I think you refer to the fact that The VR_S Covert Tour has a 430cc head and a deeper face where the VR_S Covert has a larger 460cc head and has a wider breadth, so probably easier to hit.

I just found this info on the PGA web site while searching for the technical difference between the 2 versions. ;)

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 9.0 - Miyazaki C. Kua 43 (S)

Fw Wood: Maruman F3 Shuttle 15* - Roddio Pentacross W-5 BA (S)

Fw Wood: Tourstage 2008 ViQ 19* - Ns Pro GT700 (X)

Hybrid: Nakashima NX1 22* - Pured Fujikura TOUR SPEC Speeder 904HB (X)

Irons: Mizuno MP63 - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedge: Mizuno MP T-11 50* - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedges: Epon 210KGX 54*, 58* - Shimada Wedge shaft

Putter: Seemore DB4

Grips: Iomic & Lamkin

Bag: OnOff OB0010 Shingo Katayama limited Tour Bag

Bag: Adidas Japan Tour Bag

Ball: Nike Vapor

Like our friend from Holland says, it's 430cc vs 460cc. The Tour is not a forgiving driver. In my opinion. Even a European Tour/Challenge Tour player hit it and found it a bit challenging. In my opinion - most of you probably disagree - there's a huge difference from standard to Tour Covert. It's not like the Callaway drivers where Tour/Pro is still an easy club to hit.

The difference is not that noticable in the fw and hybrid. It's the driver. I don't think Nike is going to push the Tour driver. I think they want people to play the standard version. Or "Performance", as they call it. A name that's not going to be used much. Covert and Covert Tour :) The black/red Tour looks better in ads.

And no comments on the broken badge in the cavity :) ?

• SPY VIP

Like our friend from Holland says, it's 430cc vs 460cc. The Tour is not a forgiving driver. In my opinion. Even a European Tour/Challenge Tour player hit it and found it a bit challenging. In my opinion - most of you probably disagree - there's a huge difference from standard to Tour Covert. It's not like the Callaway drivers where Tour/Pro is still an easy club to hit.

The difference is not that noticable in the fw and hybrid. It's the driver. I don't think Nike is going to push the Tour driver. I think they want people to play the standard version. Or "Performance", as they call it. A name that's not going to be used much. Covert and Covert Tour :) The black/red Tour looks better in ads.

Wow never noticed the crack before. How many shots were put on that head?

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

I did not even notice that wow no good.

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

I saw that and thought it was just a different badge the way the break follows the lettering. Thought it looked funny, but didn't look close enough to see it was actually broken. I wonder how many more will break.

Wow never noticed the crack before. How many shots were put on that head?

It wasn't new when I got it. Has been used by a few players for the past 3 weeks. Probably indoors on simulator only.

A lot of stress on that thin piece of metal in the cavity? Also notice that it broke in the exact shape of the logo.

Didn't even see that bit. Even though it wasn't new when you got it Furu, it shouldn't happen. But than again, officially it's not out yet right?

Driver: Cleveland Classic 290 9.0 - Miyazaki C. Kua 43 (S)

Fw Wood: Maruman F3 Shuttle 15* - Roddio Pentacross W-5 BA (S)

Fw Wood: Tourstage 2008 ViQ 19* - Ns Pro GT700 (X)

Hybrid: Nakashima NX1 22* - Pured Fujikura TOUR SPEC Speeder 904HB (X)

Irons: Mizuno MP63 - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedge: Mizuno MP T-11 50* - Ns-Pro GH950 (S)

Wedges: Epon 210KGX 54*, 58* - Shimada Wedge shaft

Putter: Seemore DB4

Grips: Iomic & Lamkin

Bag: OnOff OB0010 Shingo Katayama limited Tour Bag

Bag: Adidas Japan Tour Bag

Ball: Nike Vapor

I've tested both drivers. Excellent ballspeed on very large areas of the face with the standard driver. Not extreme in any way when it comes to distance but superb on consistency. My best results came with the Pro Kuro Kage in standard head. Pro is a tough driver, not for everyone.

About the cavity and material. I agree. The material is there, it's just placed differently. To be honest I think Nike did this just because they could. They wanted to show the technology.

What do you guys think about this?

541814_10151328011079043_1375076507_n.jpg

How would you compare the tour version with the VR Pro Limited driver? I liked the Limited driver but since it's being discontinued I might have to give this a try. Also, is the tour version any different in feel when struck well compared to the standard version?

The VR LE is easier to hit. The Covert Tour has a lower trajectory. It looks better, those who like a compact, classic head will like Covert Tour. Despite the color and graphics. You hardly notice the logo and the red color is very nice in real life. Almost like there's a bit of shade/fading color around the edges that makes both heads look smaller. Covert Tour looks better than VR LE but I don't think it plays any better.

Wish I had more spin numbers and I'd also like to test it with other shafts. Only had the Kuro Kage. Tour is lower spin but the few reliable spin numbers I had weren't life changing.

Both Covert drivers feel surprisingly solid. Good sound. Not great, good. Tour is a little better on the best hits. Very subjective.

I know a lot of golfers on forums like this and others I'm not sure I can mention :) will buy the Covert Tour. Everyone else should buy the standard Covert. It's a better driver overall. And it gets better if you put the Tour Kuro Kage in it.

I've looked at my numbers again. Ballspeed could've been higher. I think TM and Callaway are going to beat Nike on ballspeed for all clubs (driver, fw and hybrid) but they'll struggle to beat Nike on consistency.

The VR LE is easier to hit. The Covert Tour has a lower trajectory. It looks better, those who like a compact, classic head will like Covert Tour. Despite the color and graphics. You hardly notice the logo and the red color is very nice in real life. Almost like there's a bit of shade/fading color around the edges that makes both heads look smaller. Covert Tour looks better than VR LE but I don't think it plays any better.

Wish I had more spin numbers and I'd also like to test it with other shafts. Only had the Kuro Kage. Tour is lower spin but the few reliable spin numbers I had weren't life changing.

Both Covert drivers feel surprisingly solid. Good sound. Not great, good. Tour is a little better on the best hits. Very subjective.

I know a lot of golfers on forums like this and others I'm not sure I can mention :) will buy the Covert Tour. Everyone else should buy the standard Covert. It's a better driver overall. And it gets better if you put the Tour Kuro Kage in it.

I've looked at my numbers again. Ballspeed could've been higher. I think TM and Callaway are going to beat Nike on ballspeed for all clubs (driver, fw and hybrid) but they'll struggle to beat Nike on consistency.

Thanks a lot for the information. If they both feel solid then might as well take the more forgiving path.

I just tried out the Covert at Golf Galaxy. It's a beautiful club, but the backspin is nuts for the Performance version. I couldn't get it below 4500 RPM with either of the shafts they had. I will say that everything went stupidly straight with it.

I also tried the Razr Xtreme with the Matrix Black Tie and that was a beautiful combo, loved the weight, feel, and trajectory. Maybe enough to knock out my current driver, but I need to get to the range more and get through the 30 yards program first before I buy anything. I wasn't really even going to try it, but the fitter over there handed it to me after seeing my swing and it was nice.

Finally, I tried the R1 and felt the thing was a dud. I hated the looks and feel.

I'm going to go back in a few months once I'm back in season form to give them a try again. I really liked the Covert and am hopeful that either Nike has a shaft that'll work for me or I can put the black ops into it. That said, for now I'm sticking with my current R11s + Black Ops combo.

I also tried the Razr Xtreme with the Matrix Black Tie and that was a beautiful combo, loved the weight, feel, and trajectory. Maybe enough to knock out my current driver, but I need to get to the range more and get through the 30 yards program first before I buy anything. I wasn't really even going to try it, but the fitter over there handed it to me after seeing my swing and it was nice.

How's the feel on the Xtreme vs. the original Fit. I didn't like the feel on the original Fit but I picked up a good amount of distance so I'm hoping the Xtreme has better feel.

I really like the feel of the Xtreme, I was impressed with both the look and the sound as well. It was really low spinning for me, I was really surprised that I got better results with the Aldila Trinity than the 7M3 which is the shaft that I have played in my last two drivers.

As far as the Covert Tour, also a very low spinning driver. I hit it with the 7M3 and liked it. Solid performance, but I think I was better with the VR Pro LE.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I really like the feel of the Xtreme, I was impressed with both the look and the sound as well. It was really low spinning for me, I was really surprised that I got better results with the Aldila Trinity than the 7M3 which is the shaft that I have played in my last two drivers.

As far as the Covert Tour, also a very low spinning driver. I hit it with the 7M3 and liked it. Solid performance, but I think I was better with the VR Pro LE.

I'll have to try the Covert Tour with the 7M3. I really liked the heft of the 7M3 and the spin numbers were pretty good for me, but I seriously wonder if it's just a case of not having swung a driver in nearly two months.

Both the Covert and Fit Xtreme felt great to me. I really didn't like the R1 much oddly enough, but that may be mental because the thing is so damn ugly.

How's the feel on the Xtreme vs. the original Fit. I didn't like the feel on the original Fit but I picked up a good amount of distance so I'm hoping the Xtreme has better feel.

I've never tried the original fit, but honestly the clubs look exactly the same to me. They have the same face and construction, the only difference is they lowered the center of gravity with the Xtreme some.

So, I have no idea about the original fit, but I'm probably going to try it out sometime since they can be had for a decent price.

I've never tried the original fit, but honestly the clubs look exactly the same to me. They have the same face and construction, the only difference is they lowered the center of gravity with the Xtreme some.

So, I have no idea about the original fit, but I'm probably going to try it out sometime since they can be had for a decent price.

The original Fit was 458 cc, the Xtreme is 440 cc in the 8.5, 9.5, and 10.5 lofts.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

Archived