Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MyGolfSpy - TaylorMade LOFT UP+ Experience

Makes me want to run to Edwin Watts and try the SLDR or better yet be on my absolutely best behavior so that I can be on the MGS team that gets to test the proto type that lets the guy with a 90 mph swing speed hit it 270.

I know it's early to start politicing but you never know. :)

Seriously for those of us who are tempted to fit ourselves - I may have access to a launch monitor and a demo club - what should we be looking for with the numbers and where should we start. It seems like most of you ended up with the same shaft and just lofted up because the SLDR head produces less spin at the higher launch - is that the case?

TM is trying to reach a "Nirvana" at 17° launch and 1700RPM, for ALL swing speeds. Had I not seen the robot hit it 270 with a 90mph swing, I wouldn't have believed it. I'm getting pretty close to that Nirvana. Before my fitting, I was at 14.8 launch 2800-3300 rpm spin, for a total distance average of 293.5. After my fitting I was at a 16.8 launch, with 1900rpm spin, for an AVERAGE of 305.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The TMag video posted in another thread calls 17* launch angle and 1700 rpm spin the driver holy grail. Seems like a lot of launch, but hey, they're the experts.

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

The TMag video posted in another thread calls 17* launch angle and 1700 rpm spin the driver holy grail. Seems like a lot of launch, but hey, they're the experts.

It does seem high because we have always been used to seeing the low launching drives that rise up.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Makes me want to run to Edwin Watts and try the SLDR or better yet be on my absolutely best behavior so that I can be on the MGS team that gets to test the proto type that lets the guy with a 90 mph swing speed hit it 270.

Seriously for those of us who are tempted to fit ourselves - I may have access to a launch monitor and a demo club - what should we be looking for with the numbers and where should we start. It seems like most of you ended up with the same shaft and just lofted up because the SLDR head produces less spin at the higher launch - is that the case?

I'll volunteer Rev and myself to go to Callaway for a spy mission in their Tank (seriously , they pulled a tank in their booth for the Odyssey display). Where's Harry Arnett? Let's set it up... Lol

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Sitting in the airport waiting for my flight, I decided to jot down the things I learned on this trip:

1. GolfSpy MBP is great organizer.

2. GolfSpy WD is the same height as me.

3. Hckymeyer means Hockey Meyer.

4. Theo is not his real name.

5. JBones hits the ball far. Really far.

6. Dru should never post while drunk

7. If I'm high fade, WalkerJames should be called high slice

8. Perry w/TMAG can PLAY

9. Despite the hipster goatee and a double bogey start, Mark (TMAG) can also PLAY.

10. Tony w/TMAG can't make a 1 foot putt. But he was an awesome host for us!

11. LOFT UP! It just plain works.

12. I am soooo thankful for meeting everyone this week. TMAG guys, MGS members, La Costa staff, Lucas Glover, Ricky Fowler, and many more

13. All of the above are super cool dudes

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

DISCLAIMER:

The above was mostly for entertainment value. If I was less than complimentary, it was just a joke. You guys all rock!

Thank you, MGS and TMAG!

I have posted a bunch in the last couple of days, but I don't have any notes. The other guys will be transcribing their notes and posting soon.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

Sitting in the airport waiting for my flight, I decided to jot down the things I learned on this trip:

8. Perry w/TMAG can PLAY

9. Despite the hipster goatee and a double bogey start, Mark (TMAG) can also PLAY.

12. I am soooo thankful for meeting everyone this week. TMAG guys, MGS members, La Costa staff, Lucas Glover, Ricky Fowler, and many more

Is Perry in #8 Perry Parker?  If so, I played with him in San Francisco last summer. He can PLAY!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Seriously for those of us who are tempted to fit ourselves - I may have access to a launch monitor and a demo club - what should we be looking for with the numbers and where should we start.  It seems like most of you ended up with the same shaft and just lofted up because the SLDR head produces less spin at the higher launch - is that the case?

I took my Adams Fast 12 LS 9.5* with Motore Speeder 7.2X to a launch monitor and gained 17 yards and reduced my spin rate by 750rpms with a SLDR 9.5* with Kioyshi White 65X (or 05flex...whatever you call it). The SLDR does launch higher but it flattens out super quick. I have fought a high ball flight for the life of me and this is the first driver I have confidence with to hit a consistent ball flight. The Adams launched around 12* with close to 3,000rpms off the driver but it would continue to climb/balloon and fall out of the sky. The SLDR launched around 16* but the spin rate was less than 2300rpms and ran out once it hit the ground. It's a point and shoot type driver with the reduction in spin. It's harder to shape the shot but frankly I don't find myself looking to hit a 15 yard fade...i find myself wanting to find the fairway.

As you said, go hit on a launch monitor and find someone with plenty of shaft options for the SLDR and even the Big Bertha.

I pieced my setup together on the bay for around $300. My Kioyshi white shaft has R1 graphics on it but i frankly don't care.

I just found this thread yesterday. To say I'm jealous of the guys that got to go is an understatement. But it's a good thing I wasn't chosen because folks would have thought I was popping a blue pill judging by the constant pleat in my pants. Truly awesome experience.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Lol, I *should* just avoid posting from the tablet, sober or drunk, but drunk is just way bad.   I should also note, looking at the tabs, I had as much to drink last night as I have consumed in 2013 total.

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I think the best part of this trip was meeting the fine gents from this site. We all met for the first time, Sunday night and you' think we'd been friends for years. When TaylorMade says they are going to wine and fine you, they WINE and DINE you. We weren't just there in awe though, we got a lot if questions asked and answered and will be posting pics and answers to those questions over the next few days. Thanks again MGS and TaylorMade for letting me in on this wonderful trip.

Lol, I *should* just avoid posting from the tablet, sober or drunk, but drunk is just way bad.   I should also note, looking at the tabs, I had as much to drink last night as I have consumed in 2013 total.

The fact that you got up and ran 3.5 miles the next morning is amazing!!

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

Back to work this morrning. Nooooooooo!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Dude ,,,    I would blame it on "auto-correct" at this point...... hahahaha

Driver:   :taylormade-small: M3 Tensei CK Pro Blue
3-Metal:: :callaway-small: GBB EPIC, FujiKura Pro Green

5-Metal:  :cobra-small: F-7, FujiKura Pro

Irons:   :mizuno-small: MP-18 SC, KBS Tour 120

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:   RTX-3  52 - 56 - 60
Putter:  EVN-Roll ER-5

Ball :  :bridgestone-small: Tour B XS

Range Finder:  Busnnell Tour-X,  Garmin S20 

Follow me:

@Hula_Rock

8. Perry w/TMAG can PLAY

In all fairness I did hit a few fairways with my high slice.... Maybe just one Lol.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

One last picture from lacosta. Thank you so much mygolfspy and taylormade for the memories made with this great group of guys!

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Sweet, Theoo. Just looking at that photo has a calming effect. Glad to hear you guys had such a great experience and looking forward to seeing more notes, musings, photos, etc.

PING i20 8.5*, TFC707D (S)
Callaway RAZR Fit 15*, neutral setting, stock shaft (S)
PING i20 20*, TFC707H (S)
Adams Pro a12 23*, Matrix Ozik Altus (S)
PING i20 5-PW, TT DG S300, 1.5* flat (purple dot)
SCOR 50*,54*,58*, Genius 12 KBS Tour (S), 1.5* flat, -1/4"
STX xForm 3, 35"

Was it the fairway you were going for? :rolleyes:

Fairway hit is a fairway hit Lol!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

He should be called the master of the slice.  He aimed 20 yards right of the fairway, but he rarely missed the middle of the fairway.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

He should be called the master of the slice. He aimed 20 yards right of the fairway, but he rarely missed the middle of the fairway.

I rarely miss the middle of the fairway...... But when I do it's by 100 yards or more! Lol.

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

You said it !

LOLOLOL!

ha ha! That's awesome! I always wanted one of those!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Found this video of the Loft Up event we went to, you can see some of us in the crowd.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Like everyone else has said so far, this was an amazing experience and I couldn't imagine a better group of guys to do this with.  Thanks again to MGS and Taylormade for sending us and making it such a special trip.

Now on to my driver.  I was one of the only people who ended up lofting down, but that more an issue with my previous club than it was with needing less loft.  I was playing a SLDR 460 10.5° set to 12° and I ended up with a SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11°.  So while I did loft down, my previous drivers have all been 9 or 9.5 degree heads so overall I still felt like I lofted up with the SLDR.

I forgot to take a picture of the Trackman screen, but I picked up around 2-3° of launch angle 5mph of ball speed and dropped my spin by 1000-1500 rpms.  I was spinning the 460 in the mid 3000 range with bad shots spiking over 4000rpms.  With the 430 and a properly fit shaft I was in the low 2000's and sometimes 1900.  Bad shots were still only in the 2500rpm range.  I ended up picking up about 15 yards between carry and roll.  And now my misses don't balloon due to too much spin, Our round on Tuesday was one of my best driving days ever, it was just point and shoot and it bombs down the fairway.

One of the big questions I wanted to know was around the perceived lack of forgiveness with low and forward CG.  We've all heard it, but the reality for me was it seemed to be more forgiving.  Take my case for example.  I picked up about 15 yards.  On a miss hit say I lost 10 yards, that still leaves a net +5 compared to what I was hitting before.  It seemed like my misses weren't penalized as much because with less spin it couldn't slice as far as it would with my old driver.

On a side note I also hit the SLDR 3w at The Kingdom.  It was probably the biggest surprise of anything I hit.  It was so easy to get in the air and it seemed to just go forever.  So I just had to buy one in the company store and I can't wait to swap out the shaft to the AD-DI7s that I was hitting with it.

Final specs of my driver.

Old - SLDR 460 10.5° set to 12° with Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 stiff

New - SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° with Diamana D+ 62 stiff tipped 1".

Like everyone else has said so far, this was an amazing experience and I couldn't imagine a better group of guys to do this with.  Thanks again to MGS and Taylormade for sending us and making it such a special trip.

Now on to my driver.  I was one of the only people who ended up lofting down, but that more an issue with my previous club than it was with needing less loft.  I was playing a SLDR 460 10.5° set to 12° and I ended up with a SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11°.  So while I did loft down, my previous drivers have all been 9 or 9.5 degree heads so overall I still felt like I lofted up with the SLDR.

I forgot to take a picture of the Trackman screen, but I picked up around 2-3° of launch angle 5mph of ball speed and dropped my spin by 1000-1500 rpms.  I was spinning the 460 in the mid 3000 range with bad shots spiking over 4000rpms.  With the 430 and a properly fit shaft I was in the low 2000's and sometimes 1900.  Bad shots were still only in the 2500rpm range.  I ended up picking up about 15 yards between carry and roll.  And now my misses don't balloon due to too much spin, Our round on Tuesday was one of my best driving days ever, it was just point and shoot and it bombs down the fairway.

One of the big questions I wanted to know was around the perceived lack of forgiveness with low and forward CG.  We've all heard it, but the reality for me was it seemed to be more forgiving.  Take my case for example.  I picked up about 15 yards.  On a miss hit say I lost 10 yards, that still leaves a net +5 compared to what I was hitting before.  It seemed like my misses weren't penalized as much because with less spin it couldn't slice as far as it would with my old driver.

On a side note I also hit the SLDR 3w at The Kingdom.  It was probably the biggest surprise of anything I hit.  It was so easy to get in the air and it seemed to just go forever.  So I just had to buy one in the company store and I can't wait to swap out the shaft to the AD-DI7s that I was hitting with it.

Can't wait to see you hit that sumbitch Brian!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

A little off topic, but that Diamana is the same exact shaft I have. World of difference for me.

A little off topic, but that Diamana is the same exact shaft I have. World of difference for me.

Same here, it just flat out works for me.

Some guys did go back and forth a few times with shafts, but it's a real testament to their fitters that after watching me hit a few shots with my club he nailed the shaft on the first try without ever getting on the Trackman.  Their fitting process was mostly visual, then we hopped on the Trackman just to verify the numbers and make a few tweaks with lofts.

Archived