Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

MyGolfSpy - TaylorMade LOFT UP+ Experience

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My bombs were!!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Hey we've talked a lot about driver. Was anything done with irons?

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Hey we've talked a lot about driver. Was anything done with irons?

We got to hit the new TP line at the Kingdom but that's about it! They had staff bags full of irons with different configurations- so that was pretty cool!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Quick story about going above and beyond by TMaG this week.

The guy who did my driver fitting was named Perry.  He saw how well I was hitting the 3w at the range and I told him I would probably get one at the company store.  I looked at both the regular and TP models and ended up getting the regular to save some money and I wasn't going to play either stock shaft anyway.  The next day after our round of golf I was talking with Perry again and asked him how much the shaft in the 3w I was hitting was tipped.  I told him I bought one and was just going to re-shaft it at home by buying a pull and a shaft tip.  He said I should have mentioned something at the Kingdom, he would have just given me a bunch of tips.  Then he said just email him my address and he would send some out so I could try different shafts if i wanted to.

14 hours after arriving home this showed up at my door.

image (Custom).jpeg

10 brand new all metal TP tips.  Amazing!

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

That's awesome!

MY BAG-

All Left Handed!

Like everyone else has said so far, this was an amazing experience and I couldn't imagine a better group of guys to do this with.  Thanks again to MGS and Taylormade for sending us and making it such a special trip.

Now on to my driver.  I was one of the only people who ended up lofting down, but that more an issue with my previous club than it was with needing less loft.  I was playing a SLDR 460 10.5° set to 12° and I ended up with a SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11°.  So while I did loft down, my previous drivers have all been 9 or 9.5 degree heads so overall I still felt like I lofted up with the SLDR.

I forgot to take a picture of the Trackman screen, but I picked up around 2-3° of launch angle 5mph of ball speed and dropped my spin by 1000-1500 rpms.  I was spinning the 460 in the mid 3000 range with bad shots spiking over 4000rpms.  With the 430 and a properly fit shaft I was in the low 2000's and sometimes 1900.  Bad shots were still only in the 2500rpm range.  I ended up picking up about 15 yards between carry and roll.  And now my misses don't balloon due to too much spin, Our round on Tuesday was one of my best driving days ever, it was just point and shoot and it bombs down the fairway.

One of the big questions I wanted to know was around the perceived lack of forgiveness with low and forward CG.  We've all heard it, but the reality for me was it seemed to be more forgiving.  Take my case for example.  I picked up about 15 yards.  On a miss hit say I lost 10 yards, that still leaves a net +5 compared to what I was hitting before.  It seemed like my misses weren't penalized as much because with less spin it couldn't slice as far as it would with my old driver.

On a side note I also hit the SLDR 3w at The Kingdom.  It was probably the biggest surprise of anything I hit.  It was so easy to get in the air and it seemed to just go forever.  So I just had to buy one in the company store and I can't wait to swap out the shaft to the AD-DI7s that I was hitting with it.

Final specs of my driver.

Old - SLDR 460 10.5° set to 12° with Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 6.3 stiff

New - SLDR 430 10.5° set to 11° with Diamana D+ 62 stiff tipped 1".

Going to have to agree with you about the SLDR 3 wood. I LOVE the compact head size, but it's so easy to hit even though the head looks so much smaller than other 3 woods that I'm use to.

I was able to hit it at a TM demo day here in Vancouver and just love it too. I'm playing an RBZ 3 wood right now and the clubhead looks gigantic next to the SLDR 3 wood.

Driver: Looking for a new one for 2014! Covert? SLDR? Big Bertha? Any suggestions?!

3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 3-wood, stock

Hybrid: Adams A4OS 3 hybrid (19 degree) and 4 hybrid (22 degree)

Irons: Callaway X18 irons, 3-PW

Wedges: Cleveland 588DSG 54*, Titleist Vokey SM2 60*

Putter: Nike Unitized Leo

Shoes: Adidas TOUR360

That's why I like playing against the bombers. My 3w in the fairway may not be sexy, but pars and birdies are!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

When I first started playing when I was younger my grandfather always said "the further you can hit the ball, the further you can hit it into trouble."

While this is still very true, it doesnt mean it's not fun to bomb a 300m drive :)

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

That's why I like playing against the bombers. My 3w in the fairway may not be sexy, but pars and birdies are!

You put us both on that course again and I bet we both shoot low 70s. Being told I couldn't reach trouble on 18 cost me a triple and effectively killed a descent round........drinking a 12 back probably didn't help either. Lol

Well, I played nine on the other course last night.  it is quite a bit nicer...

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Both. I will post details in the morning. Just want to get baggage and get home right now.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Did you guys just get fit for drivers?

Yes, but we were able to hit all the new clubs with just about any shaft configuration

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Anyone hit the Speeder 757 in their fitting?  I am curious to what u thought if so.

Driver: Titleist 915 D2 9.5 with Diamana Whiteboard S flex

3 wood: Titleist 915F 15*, Whiteboard S Flex

Titleist 915H 18* and 24* with Whiteboard SFlex

Irons: Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 4-PW with S300's

Wedges: Mizuno MP T4 50*, 56* with DG Spinner

Putter:MannKrafted Long Slope or Odyssey #7 Versa Metal milled or Betti Tour Stock;

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or Titleist NXT

Bag: Titleist 'Murica colored carry bag or

MyGolfSpy Tour Bag

RH, Western KY

Posted Image

I AM FINALLY HOME!!!

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Anyone hit the Speeder 757 in their fitting?  I am curious to what u thought if so.

I don't think they had one of those in the bag.  I have a Speeder 661 XS with a R1 adapter on it, if you want to try it sometime.  It's really long, but not stiff enough to be accurate for me.

I'm in the same shaft, only 7.2X, instead of 6.2X.  The first thing they put in for me was a Fuel 70X...it felt like a wet noodle.  After putting in the Speeder TS 7.2X, it was just tweaking the settings on the 430 to get fine tuned; I think at the end I was averaging 16* launch, 1900rpm spin, and a total distance of around 307.

I AM FINALLY HOME!!!

What a long, strange trip it's been.  Glad you finally made it - although an extra day at LaCosta doesn't really suck...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

• SPY VIP

OK full disclosure before it gets out.... I haven't said much in here all week.

So on Monday at the fittings I couldn't miss a shot, my swing felt better than good and I was beaming with confidence after the driver fitting.

So then Tuesday happened. What started out as a glorious day full of promise; TaylorMade headquarters, the company store and the sun, oh sweet warm, warm sun.... I felt a sub 80 round burning inside of me. Sadly this burning was just last nights dinner and eventually things took a turn for the worse. Don't worries I felt fine but any remnants of a golf game were long gone.

It all started with my topped drive on 1. Yes I topped it. On the 3rd tee I repeated my amazing drive of hole #1 with a heal top 10 yards under a tree dead right. 4 was my only par of the day, sadly I played the wrong ball from the middle of the fairway.... I think you know where there story is going.

Yup there it is, I shot me a 106.

Anyways the golf aside I will say this. No offense to all of the wonderful and amazing members we have around here, but we couldn't have selected a better group of guys. There was such a broad range of personalities and once you get Dru drunk he's a lot more enjoyable :P It was a pleasure to share this week with all of you and I'm sure we've formed friendships that will last at least a few more months, maybe a year.

Ladies & gents, more MGS branded golf events whether in our own areas or something more national are a must. It's my goal now to eventually meet you all after the great experience I had hanging out with these douchebags. Seriously hats off off to the 7 that joined me.

*cough* plug *cough*

Vancouver Open 2014

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

So on Monday at the fittings I couldn't miss a shot, my swing felt better than good and I was beaming with confidence after the driver fitting.

So then Tuesday happened. What started out as a glorious day full of promise; TaylorMade headquarters, the company store and the sun, oh sweet warm, warm sun.... I felt a sub 80 round burning inside of me. Sadly this burning was just last nights dinner and eventually things took a turn for the worse. Don't worries I felt fine but any remnants of a golf game were long gone.

It all started with my topped drive on 1. Yes I topped it. On the 3rd tee I repeated my amazing drive of hole #1 with a heal top 10 yards under a tree dead right. 4 was my only par of the day, sadly I played the wrong ball from the middle of the fairway.... I think you know where there story is going.

Anyways the golf aside I will say this. No offense to all of the wonderful and amazing members we have around here, but we couldn't have selected a better group of guys. There was such a broad range of personalities and once you get Dru drunk he's a lot more enjoyable :P It was a pleasure to share this week with all of you and I'm sure we've formed friendships that will last at least a few more months, maybe a year.

Ladies & gents, more MGS branded golf events whether in our own areas or something more national are a must. It's my goal now to eventually meet you all after the great experience I had hanging out with these douchebags. Seriously hats off off to the 7 that joined me.

*cough* plug *cough*

Vancouver Open 2014

Ahh, How sweet. :)   Seriously I'd love to meet you as well MBP and for that matter anyone else here.  As I reminder I live in F-L-O-R-I-D-A.  We are complaining because it's 46 today - coldest day for us in four (4) years. 

Please take advantage of our hospitality during the winter months - please.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I will add that I also thought I had a sub 80 round in me as well and I in fact had a very good round going through 11 holes, then I finished my 8th beer and by the time I finished my 10th beer and the 18th hole, I had an 84.  In case you hadn't heard, HighFade kicked my rear by three strokes and I believe after the round I heard him say something along the lines "you can take those three strokes and that driver and stick them up your long hitting a$$, LOSER". :D

I thought I had a sub 80 round going, then I realized I still had 3 holes left to play :)

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

*cough* plug *cough*

Vancouver Open 2014

Ahh, How sweet. :)   Seriously I'd love to meet you as well MBP and for that matter anyone else here.  As I reminder I live in F-L-O-R-I-D-A.  We are complaining because it's 46 today - coldest day for us in four (4) years. 

Please take advantage of our hospitality during the winter months - please.

I saw that drive on 1.  It was difficult not to laugh.  But I was afraid of doing it myself (karma can be a real ******)

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I will add that I also thought I had a sub 80 round in me as well and I in fact had a very good round going through 11 holes, then I finished my 8th beer and by the time I finished my 10th beer and the 18th hole, I had an 84.  In case you hadn't heard, HighFade kicked my rear by three strokes and I believe after the round I heard him say something along the lines "you can take those three strokes and that driver and stick them up your long hitting a$$, LOSER". :D

I have a lot of excuses too.  The sun was in my eyes, my short game sucks, I had a driver that wasn't fit properly, 77 degrees is just too warm to play golf in January. 

I would never call you a loser.  But, I will say that long ball is pretty to watch.  And good enough for second place :P

SCOREBOARD!!!!

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58

I wasn't going to out you there MBP, I too chunked my first drive of the day into the same weeds.  That said, I managed to pull it together as things went on (although, let us not discuss the drive & 2nd shot on 18...) and ended up with a 97.  

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I'm loving the banter in this thread and am wondering if it's not worth opening a new one to talk more about the benefits of loft up.  My driver is 2 years old, I have tons of equipment to trade in so I can upgrade fairly inexpensively so I'm intrigued.  I'm especially wanting to hear how the distance gained at first holds up with wear.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• SPY VIP

I'm loving the banter in this thread and am wondering if it's not worth opening a new one to talk more about the benefits of loft up.  My driver is 2 years old, I have tons of equipment to trade in so I can upgrade fairly inexpensively so I'm intrigued.  I'm especially wanting to hear how the distance gained at first holds up with wear.

There's something in the works Rev ;)

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

Archived