Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Is there a BIG difference between tour golf balls?

DJNiich

54 members have voted

1. 1. What is your golf ball of preference?

• Titleist Pro-V1 or Pro-V1x
    • Taylormade Penta
    • Nike One Black/Platinum/Tour
    • Callaway Tour i or ix
    • Other

• SPY VIP

For me, putter feel is a HUGE factor on whether a ball works it's way into my bag. I don't like hard balls no matter how much they perform off the driver and spin on full wedge shots. For instance, I tried the E5 because I heard it spins great for a two piece ball and is long. HATED it because it felt like a rock off the putter and I kept blowing it two feet past the hole.

No doubt. When I went through my brief insert phase, often I found some balls, like the Zip, that I liked off the driver and irons too soft to get any feedback on the putter.

It is almost like the goldilocks story and the beds. THere are enough choices though that once can find one that is 'just right'.

And Nic, another round with the same ball today would be fine?

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spent the day today at the park with the family. Now it is Black and Tan time. MMMMMmmmm..

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I spent the day today at the park with the family. Now it is Black and Tan time. MMMMMmmmm..

Have I told you lately that you are an inspiration?

But could the ball go another 18?

Volvo Intorqueo

Have I told you lately that you are an inspiration?

But could the ball go another 18?

no problem. I would play a new one, but there is no issue with the ball going longer. In fact, because

i am on a Birdie run, I might continue to play it...

Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

No doubt. When I went through my brief insert phase, often I found some balls, like the Zip, that I liked off the driver and irons too soft to get any feedback on the putter.

It is almost like the goldilocks story and the beds. THere are enough choices though that once can find one that is 'just right'.

Yeah, similar cause and effect for me but exactly opposite. My studio style has a GSS insert and anything hard clicks off the face and rolls a mile. I've found a softer ball (somewhere between soft and firm) works great and gives me the proper anount of feel to control distance. So, I guess it really depends on what putter you game...

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

This is off topic but you mentioned it. I assume the black is Guinness but what is the tan part? I've always wondered about that as I drink just plain Guinness. Boddingtons perhaps?

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

This is off topic but you mentioned it. I assume the black is Guinness but what is the tan part? I've always wondered about that as I drink just plain Guinness. Boddingtons perhaps?

Today I am using Pike Brewing Co. Scotch style Kilt Lifter Ale. We are in Seattle, so go local...

Wow....you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it really is -- at least to the original topic. Within the same type of ball, there just isn't that much difference for us everyday players. Heck, even at the Ryder Cup the pro's change up balls without hardly a problem.

Wow....you guys are making this a lot more complicated than it really is -- at least to the original topic. Within the same type of ball, there just isn't that much difference for us everyday players. Heck, even at the Ryder Cup the pro's change up balls without hardly a problem.

The pro's do have time to adjust, and a lot of times they will strategize about who's ball to use based on certain situations, etc. A lot more goes into it.

For me, putter feel is a HUGE factor on whether a ball works it's way into my bag. I don't like hard balls no matter how much they perform off the driver and spin on full wedge shots. For instance, I tried the E5 because I heard it spins great for a two piece ball and is long. HATED it because it felt like a rock off the putter and I kept blowing it two feet past the hole.

So you guys find that the feel off the putter actually impacts performance? Interesting. Hypothetically, if the feel off the putter didn't impact how you putted with it, would it still impact your decision of what ball to play?

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

So you guys find that the feel off the putter actually impacts performance? Interesting. Hypothetically, if the feel off the putter didn't impact how you putted with it, would it still impact your decision of what ball to play?

Yeah, because if a ball is too hard, then it negates the thing I like best about my Studio Style Newport and the Rife. Its hard to explain but I'm more of a finesse putter. I play a lot of break and normally let the ball die to the hole when I'm on. That's why feel is so important to my game in that phase.

To answer your question, despite these factors, if I still putted well with it regardless then I would most certainly play it. It's all about results!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Yeah, because if a ball is too hard, then it negates the thing I like best about my Studio Style Newport and the Rife. Its hard to explain but I'm more of a finesse putter. I play a lot of break and normally let the ball die to the hole when I'm on. That's why feel is so important to my game in that phase.

To answer your question, despite these factors, if I still putted well with it regardless then I would most certainly play it. It's all about results!

I agree - what's the point of owning a great putter if it feels like poop because of the ball. That said, if I can pay $1 for a ball that works instead of $4...well I think I'll take the $1 ball.

I agree - what's the point of owning a great putter if it feels like poop because of the ball. That said, if I can pay $1 for a ball that works instead of $4...well I think I'll take the $1 ball.

And that's where X-outs and recycled balls come in.

So you didn't sleep though all of your economics classes in college then.... EXCELLENT!!

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

• SPY VIP

Check the Wilson FG Tour. It is a $2.50 ball...

Volvo Intorqueo

Check the Wilson FG Tour. It is a $2.50 ball...

1 more day of testing, then I'll see what's going to happen. I might be opting for those RXs that you love so much, that deal at gpp is great. I might pick up a sleeve at the course tomorrow and give them a run against the ProV1X head to head if the course is a little emptier.

• SPY VIP

1 more day of testing, then I'll see what's going to happen. I might be opting for those RXs that you love so much, that deal at gpp is great. I might pick up a sleeve at the course tomorrow and give them a run against the ProV1X head to head if the course is a little emptier.

Do it!

I want to read what you think. If your driver speed is over 105 though, you may need the 330s not the 330rx.

Volvo Intorqueo

Do it!

I want to read what you think. If your driver speed is over 105 though, you may need the 330s not the 330rx.

It's not, unless I really get my timing synced up. You want to send me a sleeve? I hate to pay $12 for a sleeve when I could buy a whole box of Gamers for that amount.

B330S is the way to go. Much more spin off the irons compared to the Pro V1

"Hey Ace... You got any more of that gum?" "That's none of your damn business and I'll thank you for staying out of my personal affairs." - Ace Ventura Pet Detective

I've found that lately the newest looking ball in my bag is played. I have titleists, srixons, taylormades, and callaways. All tour, all seem the same.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you find that balls at the lower end are all about the same too? I don't play or need an expensive ball, but I'd like to play the best ball in my budget.

I know this is a bit off topic, but do you find that balls at the lower end are all about the same too? I don't play or need an expensive ball, but I'd like to play the best ball in my budget.

IMHO, within a type -- be it high end or low end -- there is just not that much difference for us everyday players. Until you start scoring under par for a round, IMHO, it just doesn't matter that much -- within type.

JMHO

YMMV

I think there is more similarity among tour balls than lower end balls. Among "cheap" balls you have everything from rock-hard distance balls to really quality offerings like the Gamer and the TriSpeed.

I have noticed differences in spin rates between the higher and lower spinning versions of golf balls, the ProV1, B330-S, Srixon Z Star, etc. are similar to each other, but different from the ProV1x, B-330, Z Star-X, which I feel are similar to one another. The one ball that seems to have given me the best of both worlds, lower spin off the longer clubs and higher spin off of the shorter irons/wedges is the Penta.

Ping G410 Plus Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood Oban Tour Prototype V430
Titleist U500 3 & 4 Oban Kiyoshi Purple Tour Reserve
Titleist 620 MB 5-9 Oban CT 125
Titleist Vokey 47* Oban CT 125, 51*, 55*, and 59* Shimada Tour Wedge Black
Bettinardi Studio Stock SS28

I have noticed differences in spin rates between the higher and lower spinning versions of golf balls, the ProV1, B330-S, Srixon Z Star, etc. are similar to each other, but different from the ProV1x, B-330, Z Star-X, which I feel are similar to one another. The one ball that seems to have given me the best of both worlds, lower spin off the longer clubs and higher spin off of the shorter irons/wedges is the Penta.

Good point, there is definitely a gap between each brand's high and low spin ball.

More interesting (to me): you're a believer in the Penta? Are there any areas in which it is lacking? Is it the ball that you're gaming now, or is there something else that you prefer?

I've got 10 dozen balls en route and I'm still extremely interested in trying something new. My name is Matt and I have a problem...

• SPY VIP

Good point, there is definitely a gap between each brand's high and low spin ball.

More interesting (to me): you're a believer in the Penta? Are there any areas in which it is lacking? Is it the ball that you're gaming now, or is there something else that you prefer?

I've got 10 dozen balls en route and I'm still extremely interested in trying something new. My name is Matt and I have a problem...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had the same silly thought "What? Someone likes the penta? Maybe I need to buy some?"

Hi Matt, my name is Dave, Welcome to therapy

Volvo Intorqueo

I love finding that mid ranged priced ball that stands up to the high end offerings. SRIXON had me at hello!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Talking about the TM Penta -- I've heard nothing but good things about it...from several people.

Except for the price.

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Archived