Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

SPY PIC! - 2011 Callaway Diablo Octane Driver

GolfSpy_X

PING: Rapture V1 9° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (65 Stiff)

TITLEIST: 906F4 15.5° Aldila VS Proto 'By You' (80 Stiff)

COBRA: 5w Speed LD F/ST Tour AD YS Designed by Graphite Design made for Cobra Stiff

PING: S59 Rifle 6.5 Soft stepped

PING: Tour 48°, 52°, 58°

Byron SS Custom 006

Titelist Pro V 1

Ping hoofer Vantage

"Everyday you miss practicing, it will take you one day longer to get good." -Ben Hogan

Not sure if I like it or not. Good idea on their part to make the top of the driver the classic black, appeals to the eye. You don't see the bottom while you are hitting it.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

• SPY VIP

What exactly do you not like about them? Love to hear what people like and dislike about the appearance of drivers.

looks pretty awful.

#TruthDigest

This is the first driver I have liked from the Diablo line. Actually this is the first driver from Callaway I have liked the looks of in a long time.

Titleist 905R 9.5* w/ RIP Beta 60x

Adams 4060 16* w/ Matrix F7M2s

Maltby KE4 Tour 19* w/ AXE Xcaliber Tour Hybrid TS

Adams CB1 3-PW w/ KBS Tour S Hardstepped 1x

Scratch 8620 DS TNC grind 53* & DS EGG grind 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S300

Ping Redwood D66 w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel

What exactly do you not like about them? Love to hear what people like and dislike about the appearance of drivers.

the whole diablo line has looked cheaply made and adding the "octane" tagline to it makes it even worse. i will admit that its cleaner than the Diablo Edge line but in the end, this driver will be lost in the mix when it comes out. it seems to me that people are looking to go more traditional and clean instead of silly graphics and devil horns on a golf club...JMO.

• SPY VIP

I like everything about the look except the "Octane". Too many smelly gas jokes come to mind. If the horns are devil horns then the smell is brimstone. If diablo is the bull, then the high octane gas is much worse...

That being said I think it is the best looking diablo yet. Should come with the headcover with the horns. And maybe a shaft too.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I could care less about the sole especially in a driver unless you are planning on hitting it from the fairway the sole really doesn't come into play. I personally like that Cally iss going to more hoseled woods. i've never been a fan of the bore thru/ especially in the two piece head. it makes it much harder as a club builder to pull the shafts. hosel pulls are cake. Now back to this particular head. I like the shape and size of the face. looking at it from address the head looks great as well. The tell tail sign is performance. but the shape I give it a very solid B+. the only time I'll see the sole is when i pull the headcover off. lets wait till we get some numbers. I may have one comming my way soon. My contact has like 6 or 8 comming but they are all 8.5's like this one. I want 9.5 or 10.5. I'd like to see how it compares to the FT9-TA that I play.

The Bag:

Right handed

Cobra King FLYZ+ 10.5* w/ Aldila Rogue 125 R 44.5"

Tour Issued TM M2 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Pro Blue 60S

Tour Issued TM M2 15* w/ GD Tour AD 7S 43"

TM R7 17.5 HFS w/ Tour AD 7S Stiff 42"

Cobra S3 Pro's 4-pw w/ Aldila RIP Tours SLT 115 Reg. 5i 38.5"

Titleist Vokey Proto's

52*,54*,58* all TTDG S-400

TM TP5 X

Scotty Cameron SSS Tiffany 009 350 34.5" or Bettinardi BB1 DASS Proto

GHIN # 5144472

its clean and gaudy all at the same time. if that makes sense. I dont think its too bad. I will def be checking it out when it debuts. I just cant wait for some new irons from Callaway not a remodel of a previous iron thats not all that much diff from the last. cough cough x24.

• SPY VIP

One of these days I will go into how he whole S2H2 bore thru hosel came to be...it will make you laugh your tail off.

I could care less about the sole especially in a driver unless you are planning on hitting it from the fairway the sole really doesn't come into play. I personally like that Cally iss going to more hoseled woods. i've never been a fan of the bore thru/ especially in the two piece head. it makes it much harder as a club builder to pull the shafts. hosel pulls are cake. Now back to this particular head. I like the shape and size of the face. looking at it from address the head looks great as well. The tell tail sign is performance. but the shape I give it a very solid B+. the only time I'll see the sole is when i pull the headcover off. lets wait till we get some numbers. I may have one comming my way soon. My contact has like 6 or 8 comming but they are all 8.5's like this one. I want 9.5 or 10.5. I'd like to see how it compares to the FT9-TA that I play.

#TruthDigest

Archived