Square Strike Wedge Unofficial Review

ole gray

Hmmmmmm Yea I could dig that however Mrs. ole gray might whup my arse if I was chasing Pam Anderson around the beach.... :D

There's no “might” whip your arse it's a will

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Thanks dj! If something works for me, I don't give a rats arse whether it's an info club or a major oem club because proof is in the pudding.

Andy I appreciate it. This little club won me some money yesterday and turned potential bogies into pars. I wish it would work for everyone however if you're not willing to experiment and put in the work, it'll be another closet dust catcher. There are a lot of folks who hate it and there are just as many if not more who love it. I enjoyed doing the review and now I'm working on the Cleveland Launcher HB iron review. A ton of good results coming out of these irons so when we post our thoughts, be sure to check em out in the review thread!

If the club works for you then it's a great pickup. I'd use a “rake” if it would work!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

I am also considering following Revs lead and getting a Sure Out or Smart Sole wedge. My sand play is still atrocious.

I mean hell, if we use drivers with heads the size of a kids Fisher Price golf set why not use a wedge that makes the game much easier as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Smart Sole S is still firmly in my bag. Well worth taking up the slot of another wedge.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Hmmmmmm Yea I could dig that however Mrs. ole gray might whup my arse if I was chasing Pam Anderson around the beach.... :D

No way- she'd be chasing you!

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

No way- she'd be chasing you!

LOL  She wouldn't have to run too fast to chase my old arse  :D

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

You gotta run just fast enough to make her chase ya!

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Infomercial-type clubs often get a bad rap. Many of them over the years have worked really well.

Usually, however, they're shot-specific, one-trick-pony clubs. 

Most of us already have TWO one-trick-pony clubs--driver and putter.

When we add other such clubs--Alien-type wedges only good from the sand.....keeled-sole recovery woods....chippers and run-up irons,,,,driving irons that we can't hit from the fairway...and certainly others that I'm not thinking of right now...

that limits the number of regular, loft-progression clubs in the bag, causing wide gaps.

I personally don't let this bother me. I used to play a sand-only specialty wedge for a very long time and I still play a driving iron that I can't hit from the fairway.  I throw fourteen clubs that I like and can usually hit into the fourteen slots of my cart bag and go from there.

That might not work for everybody, however.

I think this topic should be renamed, Old Gray Shakes His Money Maker

This has been a very good discussion throughout. Lot's of good comments, photos, videos, etc. Ole gray I'm surprised the Square Strike boys haven't contacted you to shoot a new infomercial.

I can just see it... Ole Gray and Ole Tat (Pam Anderson) working the ball around the greens in Honolulu and then later frolicking along Waikiki Beach. In slow motion!!

Errr, if you put that frolicking in slow motion they will be moving backwards

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 4 weeks later...

I took my SSW (aka pocket picker) out to try chipping with the HB irons  for our review.   I not as consistent with getting the ball close as I am with the SSW.  It's going back in the bag and staying put.  I lost four skins today from poor chipping .  I shot 85 and it could have been 81 or better if I had chipped the ball well.   I haven't forgot to do some sand shots with the SSW however with working on the Cleveland HB irons review, I put it on the back burner for a while.  Maybe I can get some sand shots up Tuesday. 

Cleveland

Hey @ ole gray

Since you are having such great luck with the Square Strike and are in need of some long irons to supplement your HB's, maybe you need to try my Perfect Club set.

I'll hook you up buddy!

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Hey @ ole gray

Since you are having such great luck with the Square Strike and are in need of some long irons to supplement your HB's, maybe you need to try my Perfect Club set.

I'll hook you up buddy!

I appreciate the offer however I have a Steelhead 3 hybrid at the top of my bag and then a Steelhead 4+ wood. (16 degree)

Cleveland

We seniors keep the infomercial club industry in business, Gray.

haha yep the geritol junkies are looking for an edge.  ;)

Cleveland

OG and all,

This chain has been awesome. After seeing the SSW commerical a couple hundred times on TGC I debabted if it worked as advertised. After reading all this I decided to pull the trigger this morning. I'm a bit younger and have no problem off the tee box or with my mid and even low irons. What consistently kills my round is around the green. I'm at best about 25% accurate with chipping around green. After reading I'm hoping I can get this in and knock off a few strokes a round. Thanks for the in depth review and to everyone else on how their progress is coming along with the SSW. I'm hopeful to get it before my round Saturday and see what kind of damage I can do. (hopefully it comes Thursday and I can hit the range for a few)

OG and all,

This chain has been awesome. After seeing the SSW commerical a couple hundred times on TGC I debabted if it worked as advertised. After reading all this I decided to pull the trigger this morning. I'm a bit younger and have no problem off the tee box or with my mid and even low irons. What consistently kills my round is around the green. I'm at best about 25% accurate with chipping around green. After reading I'm hoping I can get this in and knock off a few strokes a round. Thanks for the in depth review and to everyone else on how their progress is coming along with the SSW. I'm hopeful to get it before my round Saturday and see what kind of damage I can do. (hopefully it comes Thursday and I can hit the range for a few)

Hey thanks JD!  I'm addicted to mine and cringed when I had to leave it out of the bag to test my new irons.  I had to learn how to use the SSW because it's not going to hop out of the box and make you a superstar. It will  help you become a more consistent greenside player, if you work on your technique.   Expect a few chunks and skulls as it's not error free however it can become your best friend if you put in some practice.   I think you're going to love it!  :wub:    Welcome to MGS and I look forward to you reporting back with your thoughts of the SSQ.  Good or bad bring it on and kick some butt some this weekend!

Cleveland

The Ole Pocket Picker picked some pockets today! A buddy of mine and I play neck and neck most of the time however today the pocket picker picked 10 dots off his arse and added to my winnings rather nicely.  :D  I was pitching it close from all over the place giving myself some good looks. 

Cleveland

I would like to offer my 10 pence regarding Square Strike Wedges, first a little background; I have played many sports throughout my life (and been good at all of them) except golf which continually kicks me in the nuts!

I am well above average athleticism for my age and my handicap currently hovers around 10 on a particularly unforgiving course.

My biggest problem is the nearer the green the worse I get. I moved from using very lofted clubs (chunked and thinned!) to a 52 wedge hit in low with some bite and had some success with this method but it didn't work when I got closer and I also developed a terrible case of the ‘Macbeths' (s***ks) on full shots of around 80 yards.

Anyway took the plunge and bought the Square Strike 45 wedge after one practice session and one round I ordered the other two wedges in the set, the 55 and 60 degree lofts.

So far I have only had a few (6 ish) range sessions and two rounds with these wedges however, already I can see a massive improvement in my short game and I am nowhere near proficient with them yet. It sounds ridiculous but I almost want to miss the green so I can use these wedges!

Firstly let's look at the stigma ‘I wouldn't be seen dead with one of those in my bag'. Personally I would hit the ball with my umbrella if it would improve my game and lower my scores. So far no one has even commented on my wedges (except the odd nice chip comment!) and if they do, I could not give a flying f**k, my character is stronger than that and all I am interested in is playing better golf, lowering my score and consequently enjoying the game more.

I do think, specifically regarding the ‘chipper' 45 degree wedge, the designers dropped the ball, they should have realised the stigma attached to 'chippers' and made the design less like a toy, if they had made the rear insert black or grey instead of bright green this may have made the club somewhat more appealing, same goes for the grip, but in my case, I play JumboMax XL grips so I stripped the green ones off right out the box.

The other comment is the ‘one trick pony', my driver and putter are one trick ponies, these wedges are not, by moving the ball position and introducing the slightest wrist break you can alter the height and roll out just like any other club, the thing about these clubs THEY GO STRAIGHT. Once you're lined up it is just a matter of practicing to control your distance, THEY ALWAYS GO STRAIGHT down your target line, this breeds a lot of confidence.

Making room in my bag? I just took out my 52, 59 and 65 degree wedges.

I have played with so many different people and all but the lowest handicappers have clubs in their bag that they rarely hit or rarely hit well. I think it would be easy to make room for a club that will very likely lower your score.

If you are a low single figure handicapper and/or have a great short game then these may not be for you, I believe if your handicap is over say 8ish, unless your short game is excellent then a bit of diligent practice with these clubs will produce way better results than the same amount of time put in with traditional wedges and will improve your scoring and enjoyment.

I haven't had an opportunity to try them out of sand yet, hoping that won't be a problem.

Unlikely anyone on this forum will be turning PRO, golf is the most difficult sport, do whatever it takes to make it easier and more enjoyable.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but just wanted to share my experiences for what it's worth, if you are sitting on the fence, take the plunge, I don't think you will be disappointed.

"I would hit the ball with my umbrella if it improved my game" could and should be the MGS forum motto 😁😎

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

I would like to offer my 10 pence regarding Square Strike Wedges, first a little background; I have played many sports throughout my life (and been good at all of them) except golf which continually kicks me in the nuts!

I am well above average athleticism for my age and my handicap currently hovers around 10 on a particularly unforgiving course.

My biggest problem is the nearer the green the worse I get. I moved from using very lofted clubs (chunked and thinned!) to a 52 wedge hit in low with some bite and had some success with this method but it didn't work when I got closer and I also developed a terrible case of the ‘Macbeths' (s***ks) on full shots of around 80 yards.

Anyway took the plunge and bought the Square Strike 45 wedge after one practice session and one round I ordered the other two wedges in the set, the 55 and 60 degree lofts.

So far I have only had a few (6 ish) range sessions and two rounds with these wedges however, already I can see a massive improvement in my short game and I am nowhere near proficient with them yet. It sounds ridiculous but I almost want to miss the green so I can use these wedges!

Firstly let's look at the stigma ‘I wouldn't be seen dead with one of those in my bag'. Personally I would hit the ball with my umbrella if it would improve my game and lower my scores. So far no one has even commented on my wedges (except the odd nice chip comment!) and if they do, I could not give a flying f**k, my character is stronger than that and all I am interested in is playing better golf, lowering my score and consequently enjoying the game more.

I do think, specifically regarding the ‘chipper' 45 degree wedge, the designers dropped the ball, they should have realised the stigma attached to 'chippers' and made the design less like a toy, if they had made the rear insert black or grey instead of bright green this may have made the club somewhat more appealing, same goes for the grip, but in my case, I play JumboMax XL grips so I stripped the green ones off right out the box.

The other comment is the ‘one trick pony', my driver and putter are one trick ponies, these wedges are not, by moving the ball position and introducing the slightest wrist break you can alter the height and roll out just like any other club, the thing about these clubs THEY GO STRAIGHT. Once you're lined up it is just a matter of practicing to control your distance, THEY ALWAYS GO STRAIGHT down your target line, this breeds a lot of confidence.

Making room in my bag? I just took out my 52, 59 and 65 degree wedges.

I have played with so many different people and all but the lowest handicappers have clubs in their bag that they rarely hit or rarely hit well. I think it would be easy to make room for a club that will very likely lower your score.

If you are a low single figure handicapper and/or have a great short game then these may not be for you, I believe if your handicap is over say 8ish, unless your short game is excellent then a bit of diligent practice with these clubs will produce way better results than the same amount of time put in with traditional wedges and will improve your scoring and enjoyment.

I haven't had an opportunity to try them out of sand yet, hoping that won't be a problem.

Unlikely anyone on this forum will be turning PRO, golf is the most difficult sport, do whatever it takes to make it easier and more enjoyable.

Sorry if this is a bit long winded but just wanted to share my experiences for what it's worth, if you are sitting on the fence, take the plunge, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks for your input on the SSW! I took mine out during my review of the Cleveland HB irons and missed having it terribly! It's back home in the bag and will not be leaving. I totally agree on the ugly green insert on the back and tiny little green grip.  I changed grips shortly after receiving mine and it felt sooooooo much better.  

Welcome to MGS and thanks for jumping in here and sharing your thoughts!

"I would hit the ball with my umbrella if it improved my game" could and should be the MGS forum motto

Amen bruther!

Cleveland

You're welcome, am I the only one who has all three wedges?

Would love to hear from anyone with the other two to know how they are getting on with them.

I haven't tried the other two wedges as I love my bag setup as it is.    Not saying I won't ever in the future however for now, I'm a happy camper. 

Cleveland

I must be looking at the wrong website... I only saw an infomercial and the 45 when I tried to look it up...

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

I must be looking at the wrong website... I only saw an infomercial and the 45 when I tried to look it up...

I don't think there is an infomercial for these, I think they sent me an email after I ordered the 45.

There definitely is a TV commercial, but I meant (snarkily) the website.

WITB: 

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

You're welcome, am I the only one who has all three wedges?

Would love to hear from anyone with the other two to know how they are getting on with them.

I only have the 55 degree and feel exactly how you feel.  This club is brilliantly designed and I am so confident with it.  I have scooted/skulled a small number, but that is something I do with my 50 degree wedge from time to time.  I swing freely and really love how the ball has some spin on it and stops fairly close to where it lands.  I am using the 55 around the greens and any pitch shot from 65 yards and in.

In the last month, I have shot 79 three different times.  Coincidentally, that's exactly when I got the 55 degree square strike.  I have gotten up and down from many spots in the last month that I would never have before.  My scores are on the improve because I don't fear anything anymore.  This club has freed me up. 

I don't have problems chipping, so I did not need the 45.  I kicked the 60 degree out of the bag to make room for this pitching magic wand.  I still love my 56 "normal" wedge from the sand and certain lies. 

I agree with you about the green backing, but who cares.  I am aiming at spots on the green when pitching the ball and not thinking about much.  Its so nice to make the par putt.  I should probably buy another 55 before they go out or ruin this club with Version 2. 

I only have the 55 degree and feel exactly how you feel.  This club is brilliantly designed and I am so confident with it.  I have scooted/skulled a small number, but that is something I do with my 50 degree wedge from time to time.  I swing freely and really love how the ball has some spin on it and stops fairly close to where it lands.  I am using the 55 around the greens and any pitch shot from 65 yards and in.

In the last month, I have shot 79 three different times.  Coincidentally, that's exactly when I got the 55 degree square strike.  I have gotten up and down from many spots in the last month that I would never have before.  My scores are on the improve because I don't fear anything anymore.  This club has freed me up. 

I don't have problems chipping, so I did not need the 45.  I kicked the 60 degree out of the bag to make room for this pitching magic wand.  I still love my 56 "normal" wedge from the sand and certain lies. 

I agree with you about the green backing, but who cares.  I am aiming at spots on the green when pitching the ball and not thinking about much.  Its so nice to make the par putt.  I should probably buy another 55 before they go out or ruin this club with Version 2. 

Fezz thanks for your input!   Yea these "Pocket Picker"  aka Square Strike Wedges are truly fun to game. Now you got me interested in the 55!  :D   

Cleveland

Fezzler,

Good to hear someone else has one of the other wedges.

I would be interested to know how you play it, putting stroke?, wrist break?, width of stance?, ball position?

I would be interested to know how you play it, putting stroke?, wrist break?, width of stance?, ball position?

I don't change that much for this club from "normal" wedges.  I keep the ball position inside my left (lead) instep.  Width of stance is closer together, but i did not change either of those aspects when using the SS wedge compared to normal wedges. 

The 55 is targeted to get the ball more airborne than the 45, so you need to have some arc in the swing.  I am still fiddling with how the club sits behind the ball at address when pitching.  I have the toe slightly up, so the club sits like Isao Aoki and Corey Pavin putts. It is not overly pronounced.  

Around the green I am using the 55 more like the putting method that is shown in the Andy North video.  Much more straight through.

I really enjoyed hitting a 65 yard shot on my last hole this past weekend.  I did not tense up and did not have fear.  I took a pretty good swing at it and held my finish a touch to stay low.  It hit the green and took 1 bounce and pretty much stopped right there.  It was wet, but that is a shot I never had in my bag unless I hit my 60 degree sky high in the past.

Like I said, I am turning my 84's into 79's thanks partly to this club.