Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Buddies trip tournament/scoring format ideas needed

ThatKyle

This is going to be the second year of the guys trip I started last year, this year we've doubled our group to 8. Below is our itinerary. Not everyone will arrive until late Sunday so I'm looking to come up with some type of plan for all the Monday-Wednesday rounds that will 1. Allow us to play a variety of scoring formats (stroke, match, best ball, etc) while mixing up the foursomes as often as possible 2. Result in an overall winner as well as a two man team winner. 

Everyone is roughly of the same-ish skill level (8-12 handicap) so we shouldn't have to compensate terribly to make things even. 

Sunday PM: Forest Dunes Loop

Monday AM: Forest Dunes Loop

Monday PM: Forest Dunes

Tuesday AM: Treetops Signature

Tuesday PM: Treetops Premier

Tuesday PM: Treetops Threetops (9 hole par 3)

Wednesday AM: Treetops Masterpiece

Wednesday PM: Treetops Tradition

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

I always liked a game called - Low and Aggie (Low and Aggregate). Please someone tell me if this has another name in the US. I was raised in Canada by Dutch immigrants. Perfect game for 8-12 hdcps.

2 man teams

1 point for the lowest score on the hole

1 point for the lowest aggregate team score

1 point for birdies (sometimes people play this only counts if the team is behind)

give strokes on holes as appropriate

So for example...

Team one shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 5

Team two shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 4

Neither team wins one for the low but Team two takes 1 point for the aggie 

Team one shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 4 

Team two shoots (2 man team) a 5 and a 5

Team one earns 2 points: 1 for the low and 1 for the aggie 

Birdies can sometimes mean a 3 point swing since your team likely took the low and the aggie plus an extra point for the birdie (one of the reason people only count the birdie as an extra point if you are behind to allow a team to get back in it).

Bag: Bennington Quiet Organizer 9-Lite (link)

Cart: :Clicgear: 3.5+

Driver:  :cobra-small:  F9 speedback, Accra iWood

Woods:  Sonartec GS Tour 14*, Fujikura Six S
DI:  :titelist-small:  T-MB 2 iron, KBS Tour-V 120 X,
Irons: :Miura: PP-9003SN 4-GW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Wedges: :Miura: 1957 K-grind SW, LW, Nippon 1150GH Stiff
Putter: :odyssey-small: EXO Indianapolis (link)
Ball: :Snell: MTB

We have a bunch of guys that play in my group. Last week we had 4 Foursomes. We usually play 2 bets. A skin bet, and either a team or individual "Quota" Bet.

On the team bet we will use either 2 or 3 best score of each group. Making the teams can be tough when you have to do it on the fly with whomever showed up that day, but easier on a trip because you have time go establish the A, B, and C player.

The Quota Bet was my favorite and I kept track of that and tracked everyone's quota, but since I was AWOL for 18 months this has totally gone away.

We used a modified Stableford System

0 = Double Bogey or Worse

1 = Bogey

2 = Par

3 = Birdie

4 = Eagle

Hole in one = Automatic Winner

You then establish each player's quota by using their handicap. All pars would have give you 36 points and a 90 would give you 18. I established everyone's quota 3 strokes less than they normally got. This allowed for them to exceed their quota when they played their normal good round and left them feeling better than if they didn't get the quota. A player that exceeded his quota by 5 or more points twice in a weekend could expect a bump in the quota the next week of 2 points. Likewise, a player who went two weekends or 4 rounds in a row without meeting their quota could expect a decrease.

So the 90 shooter with the 15 Quota that shot 89 and got 19 points would beat the low-capper with a 33 Quota who shot 74 and 34 points because the winner is based on the difference between the Quota and the points earned that day.

I can tell you from experience that it sucks to be the guy who shoots 1 under and loose to a guy who breaks 90 for the first time in his life, but the lower capped player is more likely to play well then the higher capped player so over the long haul it will work out. Everyone has an equal chance but it's more likely the better player will win more often.

We also had 2 winner (myself included) in the 10 years we played this method that won with the hole-in-one rule.

You can also establish whatever points system you want. I have seen them with negative numbers for worse than double bogies or and more points for eagles and birdies or whatever. This system was just easy to use, and it allowed the guy who had hit a couple into the hazard to just pick up or excise his demons if he was not going to make a double. No one wants to have to putt for a 13 with all the guys standing there waiting on them.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

We play a team game called 40 balls, where you have to count 40 scores for the team by the end of the round. The kicker is you can't go back, you must decide how many you're counting on the hole just played before you tee off on the next one. Usually teams will try to get to the last 3 holes only need 5 or 6 scores. Can be played gross or net, whoever has the lowest score based on the balls they count relative to par is the winner. With a group that size you could have money each day and then give out points to the winners, splitting the teams up each round so everyone plays w everyone else. High point winners at the end win the overall

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Pick a format that insures a win for you!🤣

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

We always play bingo Bango bongo one day. That's a game you can also play while still playing other games.

This last trip we played 6-6-6 hi low. You rotate your playing partner every 6 holes. You could use this and play a variety of games but we did hi low.

A&B are on teams and C&D are on teams

A makes a 4

B makes a 7

C makes a 5

D makes 6

Each low man goes against each other and each high score so A beats C and gets a point (A was low score from AB team and C was low score from CD team) and CD team gets a point for D beating B (B was the higher score of AB and D was from CD).

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I always liked a game called - Low and Aggie (Low and Aggregate). Please someone tell me if this has another name in the US. I was raised in Canada by Dutch immigrants. Perfect game for 8-12 hdcps.

2 man teams

1 point for the lowest score on the hole

1 point for the lowest aggregate team score

1 point for birdies (sometimes people play this only counts if the team is behind)

give strokes on holes as appropriate

So for example...

Team one shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 5

Team two shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 4

Neither team wins one for the low but Team two takes 1 point for the aggie

Team one shoots (2 man team) a 4 and a 4

Team two shoots (2 man team) a 5 and a 5

Team one earns 2 points: 1 for the low and 1 for the aggie

Birdies can sometimes mean a 3 point swing since your team likely took the low and the aggie plus an extra point for the birdie (one of the reason people only count the birdie as an extra point if you are behind to allow a team to get back in it).

We play this and rotate partners every 6 holes and we use handicaps. We also add in a closest to the pin in regulation, but you have to validate with a par. So my par 5 in 2 does me no good when I four putt for bogey (totally hypothetical there guys).

So our scoring is:

1 for low score

1 for low team aggregate

1 for validated greenie

1 for birdie

1 bonus point if you sweep the first four

In Peru we had a game called machetero. We all put in a a few bucks (7 soles) and played seven bets.

Net on front

Net on back

Net total

Match on front

Match on back

Match total

One selected closest to the pin

With a decent amount of guys there could be a good amount of money out there, and with so many different bets, there was always a chance for something even if you totally blow it on one nine. Shoot a few under your handicap and you might clean up. This worked well for a bigger group (we could have up to twenty). Winner would always leave a tip for the pro who had to figure out all the scoring after the round.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

We play the same game as described above, with a couple variations.  2 man teams.

1 pt for neary

1 pt for low individual

1 pt for low total

1 pt for birdie 

win all 4 and you get a bonus 5th point.  

Our variations.  You have to 2 putt to keep the neary, neary has to be in regulation or better.  If both partners birdie there is another bonus point so you could have a max of 6 points on a hole.

We start at level 3 (each point worth 3 points), the team behind can press at any tee box and the level goes up by one.  A tie is an auto press.  The level resets back down to 3 at the turn.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

We play the same game as described above, with a couple variations. 2 man teams.

1 pt for neary

1 pt for low individual

1 pt for low total

1 pt for birdie

win all 4 and you get a bonus 5th point.

Our variations. You have to 2 putt to keep the neary, neary has to be in regulation or better.

This is our variation. And you have it right as a neary not a greenie like I said.

:ping-small: G400 LST 8.5 Ping Tour 65 Stiff

:adams-small: Adams XTD Ti 18 deg 3Hy

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan PTx 22-46 

:benhogan-small: Ben Hogan TK15 50, 54, 58 deg wedges

:cameron-small: Futura 5.5

Ok, here's what I've roughly cooked up, any major issues anyone is seeing?

For the solo competition we'll use Stableford for the rounds at the Loop, Dunes, Signature, and Masterpiece. We'll keep a running total throughout and then play match play on the final round at Tradition to determine the final winner. If more than two people are in contention for the top spot we'll play an alternative format like Skins or Wolf.

For team format, we'll have two man teams where although you won't always be playing with your partner your scores are combined post-round using best ball format. That combined car is then used to give your team a score based on: 
1 pt for low combined front 9 (best ball)
1 pt for low combined back 9 (best ball)
2 pt for low combined round (best ball)
1 pt for low solo total
1 pt for worst combined total
1 pt for birdies
1 pt closest to hole (one designated hole per 18)

We're planning to play the round at Premier strictly as righties vs lefties in scramble format for the sake of our backs and daylight. Yes, we really have 4 lefties going on the trip. 

Lefty in the Mitten State currently carrying: TM '17 M2 9.5  w/ Fujikura Pro XLR8 Â· Exotics EX10 15° w/ GD Tour AD Stiff ·  :cobra-small: F7 HY @ 20° ·   :cobra-small:   Forged Tec Black 5i-AW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 ·  :callaway-small:  MD2 56°+ 60° ·  :nike-small:  Method B2-01 · Kirkland Signature · Clicgear 2.0 · Course photo albums: Boyne Highlands + Bay Harbor (Michigan) | Wailea Gold & Emerald (Maui) | Forest Dunes (Michigan)

Sounds like a fun trip. Only advice I'd throw out is to remember how ever you do it. Keep scoring simple for the groups and more importantly, for you. You don't want to be on the final day after the round trying to figure scores. Then everyone becomes a score master and wants to tell you how to do it lol.

Good luck and have fun.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Archived