Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bend, Oregon trip_Course suggestions

PING Apologist #9

Greetings fellow Spies! I am being "roped" into a trip to Bend, Oregon for a celebration of my pending 50'th birthday and am looking for some advice on where to consider playing a round of golf while there on Sunday, August 5'th. I have yet to begin lookin at options there, but will do so  right after this post. I'm looking for a place that's reasonably priced but "nice" and somewhat challenging. I'll consider all suggestions since I've never golfed there before, so I'm looking forward to hearing any ideas and will be looking to book a time by no later than this upcoming Sunday 7-29-18.

My Brother-in-Law will be there to make up a 2-some but I sure wouldn't mind making it a 3 or 4-some with any of you that may be around the area, so please PM me if that's a possibility...

Thanks for reading and thank-you all in advance for any suggestions in advance...CHEERS!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

Well, since you qualified your request with "reasonably priced", that eliminates Pronghorn and Tetherow.  The Sunriver courses are always nice, but might be a little pricey now.

Where are you staying?  Bend or Redmond?  I usually stay near Redmond, so I play Aspen Lakes and Black Butte Ranch (2 courses) by Sisters, OR.  Juniper GC is by the airport in Redmond and is very nice and scenic too.  South of Bend, I like Lost Tracks GC.  Widgi Creek in Bend is OK, but not as scenic as the others.

I might have plans that weekend, but if things change I will contact you.  Love golf in central Oregon!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well, since you qualified your request with "reasonably priced", that eliminates Pronghorn and Tetherow.  The Sunriver courses are always nice, but might be a little pricey now.

Where are you staying?  Bend or Redmond?  I usually stay near Redmond, so I play Aspen Lakes and Black Butte Ranch (2 courses) by Sisters, OR.  Juniper GC is by the airport in Redmond and is very nice and scenic too.  South of Bend, I like Lost Tracks GC.  Widgi Creek in Bend is OK, but not as scenic as the others.

I might have plans that weekend, but if things change I will contact you.  Love golf in central Oregon!!

Yeah, Pronghorn is out for sure...Heh...Don't see Tetherow yet, but maybe don't need to dig it up...

We are staying in Bend proper just at the Old Mill District. I just took a peek at courses before your reply and am really intrigued by Rivers Edge. Thoughts? I'm also looking at Widgi Creek but keep going back to RE...

Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)

#Powertotheplayers

When I was down there last summer, we got a 5:00 PM tee time at Crosswater for only $50. You do have to stay at Sunriver or know a member, but a great deal if you can get on. Black Butte is also good from what I've heard. So is Widgi. Lots of good tracks down there. Whatever you choose will be great, I'm sure!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

When I was down there last summer, we got a 5:00 PM tee time at Crosswater for only $50. You do have to stay at Sunriver or know a member, but a great deal if you can get on. Black Butte is also good from what I've heard. So is Widgi. Lots of good tracks down there. Whatever you choose will be great, I'm sure!

Good stuff, thanks!!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Pronghorn actually has a $65 twilight rate starting around 4pm. Juniper is always a great suggestion. Widgi Creek isn't bad either. Both Eagle Crest courses and the Sunriver Courses are good and personally, I think that Crooked River Ranch might be one of the more fun courses around even though it is a little goofy. Stay away from Old Back 9 and Rivers Edge. If you know someone who can get you on Broken Top or Bend CC don't even think twice!

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

Man, First words I was going to type out would have been Pronghorn and Tetherow, but on a budget...  you only do get one 50th birthday you know...

I'll defer to everyone else one this as those are the only two I am familiar with down there, but they are very worth playing for that special day. 

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

Man, First words I was going to type out would have been Pronghorn and Tetherow, but on a budget...  you only do get one 50th birthday you know...

I'll defer to everyone else one this as those are the only two I am familiar with down there, but they are very worth playing for that special day. 

You know, you got something there and I truly appreciate that. It's just hard for me to justify spending a boat-load of cash with a caddy at a "club" only to do my general 100+ hack job honestly. I looked at both of those and just couldn't do it...sorry. I think Widgi Creek is more my speed and "good 'nuff" for the likes of me. I truly thank you for the suggestions. Cheers!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

You know, you got something there and I truly appreciate that. It's just hard for me to justify spending a boat-load of cash with a caddy at a "club" only to do my general 100+ hack job honestly. I looked at both of those and just couldn't do it...sorry. I think Widgi Creek is more my speed and "good 'nuff" for the likes of me. I truly thank you for the suggestions. Cheers!

Widgi is a good track. But let me just say, it doesn't take a low score to enjoy a good round of golf. In fact, the more strokes you take, the more you're getting your money's worth!

It doesn't matter the handicap; anyone who truly loves the game can appreciate a nice round of golf. Just because you aren't scratch, you shouldn't limit the courses you play.

I know some 30 handicap guys who went to Pebble Beach got Caddies and enjoyed it way more than the 1 handicap who did the same thing. My point being no matter the handicap you can enjoy a beautiful course and nice club.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

It doesn't matter the handicap; anyone who truly loves the game can appreciate a nice round of golf. Just because you aren't scratch, you shouldn't limit the courses you play.

I know some 30 handicap guys who went to Pebble Beach got Caddies and enjoyed it way more than the 1 handicap who did the same thing. My point being no matter the handicap you can enjoy a beautiful course and nice club.

Widgi is a good track. But let me just say, it doesn't take a low score to enjoy a good round of golf. In fact, the more strokes you take, the more you're getting your money's worth!

You both have really given me food-for-thought and make great points. It is a "once-in-a-lifetime" opportunity and I should maybe indulge. I'll get with my Brother-in-Law and gather his thoughts on this too-especially since that bastard has already stated he's paying... :o I just don't want to take an unfair advantage of his generosity since I know he'll punch my lights out if I even think of reaching for my wallet. I truly appreciate your thoughts on this subject as always, thank-you.

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

OKOKOK....Got the hi-sign from my Bro and we're booked to play the Nicklaus Course at Pronghorn Resort at 12:30 on August 5'th. It'll just be the 2 of us so if any of y'all are around and want to join us you'd certainly be welcome. Thank all of you for your advice and suggestions-I am really looking forward to this! :D

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

OKOKOK....Got the hi-sign from my Bro and we're booked to play the Nicklaus Course at Pronghorn Resort at 12:30 on August 5'th. It'll just be the 2 of us so if any of y'all are around and want to join us you'd certainly be welcome. Thank all of you for your advice and suggestions-I am really looking forward to this! :D

That course is beautiful. You should really enjoy it. I think that 7 hour drive puts it a bit out of my weekend golf trip range, but take some pictures. Take your time and have a great 50th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB:

Driver:   :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 12° - Accra TZ6 M4

FW Wood:     th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg Gen5 0311 7w  Fujikura Motore X F3

Irons:   :srixon-small: ZX7 PW-7i, ZX5 6i-5i

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  Zipcore 50°, 58°

Putter:   :taylormade-small: MySpider X

Cart: image.png.5aa5e9b8c0d6e08a2b12be76a06a07ca.pngOnewheel XR+

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond/ Z-Star XV

There you go! You're gonna have a blast! According to Golf Digest, the Nicklaus course is the #6 course in OR. Take away all the Bandon courses and it's #2!

Glad to hear it.😃

Enjoy, it is a beautiful course.

Only playing one day?  Long trip for one round, but if your only playing one round, Pronghorn is nice!!

Unfortunately, yes. The War Department has plans for the other days including going out on the "Beer Bus" tour to the breweries which is always a blast, and we're meeting up with other family there too. Should be a great trip!

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been several weeks since we returned from Bend and I've been remiss to tell everyone how the golf outing portion of the weekend went. My apologies.

First off, my thanks for everyone for weighing in with their suggestions and comments. You all are the best and I and deeply grateful that you all took the time to assist me with my decision on where to play in that area. The ultimate selection to play at Pronghorn's Nicklaus course was ideal since it was very "exclusive" feeling from the start and totally worthy of a 50th birthday celebration. I'd suggest it to anyone doing the same for sure.

Second, big "ups" to my awesome brother-in-law who accommodated my wishes to take a day and go golfing even though his game has suffered from lack of playing recently. He was a trooper (literally...CHP! He & my sister both) and despite both of us mucking about most of the day, he kept us on the positive even when things went totally sour.

I'll create some posts about the day in the "How'd you play" thread and also share a bunch of pics in the "Pics from the course" thread.

To all my fellow Spies, thank-you again and a big CHEERS! :D

Driver

#Powertotheplayers

Glad you enjoyed it!

Archived