Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Getting really bored of golf

Big money

We're all wired differently - so I can't give you the answer that overcomes you boredom. 

For me, golf is an endless list of challenges that I've set out for myself and i ratchet them up every year. My objectives range from increased SS to Men's League results and everything in between.  Playing and excelling at different courses is also on my list.  But then I started playing golf after I retired so I have a ways to go to be the kind of player I want to be.  

So perhaps a realistic assessment of where you're at then setting challenging goals every year could be an answer? The fun thing about golf is that there are so many directions you can go in. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

As Tony said we are all wired differently. I can't see myself getting bored of golfing, however I do know trying new courses and looking for new challenges with the game by setting goals and actively looking for new courses to play helps keep my interest at peak level

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Sometimes you just have to accept that maybe your life preferences have changed.  I used to love playing videogames, but now I find that I can't get into them as much as I used to.  That's because I have grown older, my priorities have changed, and my tastes have changed.  

It is easy to become defensive and say "they don't make video games like they used to!", but the truth is I have changed far more than videogames have

What about golf gave you enjoyment in the past and why doesn’t that provide you enjoyment today? People lose interest in things for many different reasons. Until we know your reasons we can’t relate to your feelings.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Golf hasn’t become boring to me. It’s something that keeps me entertained in trying to get better and I enjoy being around others on the course.

Lifes challenges may take me away from the game at times but never makes it boring

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I played solo as a member of a public course a few years back, and quit.  I got interested again when my Tuesday league became an option.

I quit the game for quite a few years back, until my son died.  Then I started playing all the time again.

Life works in ebbs and flows.  You have your peaks and valleys in golf, as you do in almost everything else in life.  It's ok to take a break from golf for awhile to refresh your batteries.  Sometimes you can burn out and just need a break.

I'm actually contemplating a short break from golf at the moment.  My back has been acting up, which makes the physical pain a part of what I have to compensate for every time I tee it up.  That's not much fun.  My company just sold my department, which means I have new bosses.  But I'm also now adjusting to being able to work from home full time, which means I'm no longer 5 minutes from the little 9-hole muni right where my office used to be.  So I'm considering getting a membership at the public course five minutes from my house, but I may wait until January and this transition of my company is complete before doing anything, just to see how this things shapes out.

Ultimately you have to decide what works best for you.  As in life, there really is no script, beyond what you write every day.  Make it count, because there are no do overs for today, and tomorrow is promised to no one.

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

In order to keep occupied I picked up another hobby. I began reading about finance and at the same time picked up the bagpipes. Each were time consuming and eventually would lose my interest.

A few years later I couldn’t maintain the time necessary to play pipes so I moved on and got back into golf.

Life ebbs and flows, let the tide take you where it takes you.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

6 hours ago, cnosil said:

What about golf gave you enjoyment in the past and why doesn’t that provide you enjoyment today? People lose interest in things for many different reasons. Until we know your reasons we can’t relate to your feelings.

I’ve taken golf very seriously the last few seasons. Lessons   Membership at a private club  complete wardrobe and golf set changed. Even started playing events and men’s club outings at the club. But I just feel like I don’t fit in. I come from a humble upbringing. And these members are completely opposite of me . Have nothing in common with them and their perfect lifestyles actually bore me. I used to play golf in tank tops and shorts at a small time municipal . Feel so uncomfortable and am really hating every second of even being at the club or Around it’s members. Unfortunately I’m stuck there for 3 more seasons with the contract I signed . Really miss humble everyday golf and the people that play those type of courses 

Keep it in the short stuff

5 minutes ago, Edveed said:

I’ve taken golf very seriously the last few seasons. Lessons   Membership at a private club  complete wardrobe and golf set changed. Even started playing events and men’s club outings at the club. But I just feel like I don’t fit in. I come from a humble upbringing. And these members are completely opposite of me . Have nothing in common with them and their perfect lifestyles actually bore me. I used to play golf in tank tops and shorts at a small time municipal . Feel so uncomfortable and am really hating every second of even being at the club or Around it’s members. Unfortunately I’m stuck there for 3 more seasons with the contract I signed . Really miss humble everyday golf and the people that play those type of courses 

Sounds like it is the club and not the game. 

I have had the same experiences whether it a private or public course. You just have to find the right group> I would guess that not everyone at your club is the same and maybe seek out a more compatible group that you enjoy. 

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

21 minutes ago, Edveed said:

I agree with the poster that had the first followup.   I don't think it is golf,  it is the company and the wrong group of people at the club.   You are searching for the social aspect of the game.  Perhaps you can talk with the club and see if there is a way to get out of your contract;  may help with you outlook on the game.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

43 minutes ago, Edveed said:

36 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Sounds like it is the club and not the game. 

I have had the same experiences whether it a private or public course. You just have to find the right group> I would guess that not everyone at your club is the same and maybe seek out a more compatible group that you enjoy. 

I'd agree. It's definitely (the Club/membership) not the right fit for you. While I like the challenges of golf - what takes it to a much higher level for me are the friendships and comradery. If I couldn't have fun with the group I'd move on. I know there are a couple of Clubs in the area where I would not fit in - they're a bit too stuffy and pretentious. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I usually get like this with every activity I do. I get good at something then stop because it becomes boring. Now I’ve dropped to an 8.5 now have a family so less golf will be played. Not sure how that’s going to go when the season rolls around. Because I know I can’t play enough to really be a confident 8.5. I’m sure I’ll rise in handicap but will boredom set in because I can’t advance myself. Not sure only time will tell

This makes me think of the other recent thread on what we like about golf.
I also tend to lose interest in most activities (e.g. playing musical instruments, woodworking, gardening, marathons, etc.) once I become reasonably adept at them and move on to the next, but that hasn't happened so far with golf because...though I like the game itself and it's endless challenges, I also like being outdoors, the camaraderie, the requisite sportsmanship (as I learned the game anyway), the simple satisfaction of hitting a truly great shot (occasionally) and it's a game I hope to play to a very ripe old age. I've been playing golf off an on for 54 years, and I took a 15 year hiatus (to devote to work, family, sail racing, etc.), but I never lost interest. Even if I one day lose interest in chasing around a golf ball, I can't imagine also losing interest in being outdoors, and the camaraderie/sportsmanship too. The many facets of golf make it enduring for me. Sure I enjoy my low rounds, but my enjoyment is almost the same no matter what the scorecard shows.
I know quite a few old guys who couldn't break 100 to save their lives, and who rarely play anywhere but the local public course. But they do it together ALL the time, happy as clams whether they play well or not. I don't think golf itself is the reason they enjoy getting out there - golf is a small part of why they play.
When I've lost interest in other activities, and I certainly have, if I can't revitalize my interest, I just move on to another activity. FWIW, I lost interest in sailing after about 15 years, but then I got involved in sail racing and that added another 25 years to my sailing participation - but after 40+ years I did lose interest. Sometimes you can explore other aspects on an activity if it becomes stale.
In the case of golf, I joined two leagues last year, and really enjoyed it - reinforces my interest in golf. If you're getting bored, change something in your golf life!
Best of luck...

Middler, I'm with you 100%. My wife and I sailed/raced for 30+ years and it really got boring. Plus there were a lot of days we couldn't go out either because there was no wind or too much wind. Plus living on Lake Erie, we were limited to a 6 month at best season. As a pilot, outside of take-off and landings, flying got pretty boring as well.

Golf, even on the same course can be a different experience every day. It can be something you can do by yourself, with your significant other or a bunch of friends. Make a mistake and you can have a laugh over it. Not so much sailing or flying!

Like challenges? Golf will keep you interested for as long as you can play. Tough to imagine ever getting bored.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

For me, any one sport/hobby would likely start becoming a bit boring.  Fly fishing is my favorite sport/hobby and takes over my late spring, summer and early falls.  I still golf a few times a month, but not nearly as much as winter in AZ.  I find a mix works best for me and keeps it from getting stale.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

Archived