Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Riding vs. Walking

deejaid

Riding vs. Walking  

67 members have voted

1. 1. When allowed, do you prefer riding or walking the course?

• riding
    • walking

I used to walk 90% of the time, using either a carry bag or Sun Mtn push cart.  For a few years, I used a Kangaroo, which was really nice.  With recent knee issues, I'm a full time rider (at least for now).  Ideally, when my knees allow it, my bag is on the cart while someone else drives and I walk most of the course.  Several years ago, I played Bandon Dunes with a caddie.  With the exception of the cost, I could get used to having a caddie.  

I ride 100% of the time. Around 5 years ago I was carrying and my wife was in our cart. Without warning I blew out my knee. I’m at a place now where I need a replacement soon and the other in a couple years.
If you can walk do it but there comes a time in your life when you are no longer physically able to.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, juspoole said:

I enjoy walking more as I feel like I am more engaged in the round and tend to play a bit better.   Haven't done a complete analysis, but probably a couple strokes better.   Most of my buddies I play with, would rather ride, so it would be a round alone if I did walk.

... Playing as a single when away from home I get paired up with 3 some in carts all the time. I usually play a little faster than they do but there is still lots of interaction on the greens and tees as well as from the fairway or rough. We all know it is rare to be able to get to your ball and hit right away, so I think you might be surprised at how well walking with a cart can mesh with riders. Obviously there are some courses that require carts during specific times ( a money grab not a pace of play issue) as well as courses that have long distances between greens and tees or too hilly to walk so I have no opinions about what others should do. And of course carts serve golfers like Rickp that would be unable to play without one. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

3 hours ago, TR1PTIK said:

This is my current predicament as well. It's made worse by the fact that some of the courses near me charge the same rate whether I ride or walk. I feel like I'm throwing away money if I don't ride...

... I do it when necessary because I prefer walking but I agree it is very annoying. I look at it this way. Some restaurants serving excellent food do not allow substitutes. I don't eat wheat so the bread that comes with my meal is something I am paying for but not eating. I will pay for the privilege of walking, especially Twilte rates that includes a cart because I enjoy the round much more walking than riding. That said, most of the courses I play have different rates for walking and riding but I do run across it every now and then. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I much prefer walking.  Riding seems to break the flow a bit for me, and I need the exercise.

When I firstt started I would often play with a chap who had to ride for health reasons, and had his own 2 seater at the club.  So I rode with him, but i missed the walk.

I mostly use a push cart, but like to carry if just doing a few holes.

18 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I do it all the time because I prefer walking butI agree it is very annoying. I look at it this way. Some restaurants serving excellent food do not allow substitutes. I don't eat wheat so the bread that comes with my meal is something I am paying for but not eating. I will pay for the privilege of walking, especially Twilte rates that includes a cart because I enjoy the round much more walking than riding. That said, most of the courses I play have different rates for walking and riding but I do run across it every now and then. 

I understand where you're coming from, but when did you last pay $18 (give or take) for bread? If I were able to play more twilight golf like you mentioned, it'd bother me a lot less, but because of my family's schedule that's typically not a good option. I'm usually aiming to be the first tee time of the day when possible so I can play at a good pace and get back home.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

Awsome topic. When it comes down to it really depends how quick I am trying to get a round in. Weekday by myself buzzing through I’ll take a cart. Preference thiugg I would rather walk. I get that from my dad I think. Walking allows you to see the course differently and really think about your next shot. Really take the course in hippie as that sounds image.gif.967980da97d37932975b003edce05fdb.gif

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

3 hours ago, chisag said:

... Playing as a single when away from home I get paired up with 3 some in carts all the time. I usually play a little faster than they do but there is still lots of interaction on the greens and tees as well as from the fairway or rough. We all know it is rare to be able to get to your ball and hit right away, so I think you might be surprised at how well walking with a cart can mesh with riders. Obviously there are some courses that require carts during specific times ( a money grab not a pace of play issue) as well as courses that have long distances between greens and tees or too hilly to walk so I have no opinions about what others should do. And of course carts serve golfers like Rickp that would be unable to play without one. 

Definitely money grab and I don’t think it speeds anything up when it’s foursomes really. But hey it’s America right let’s all be lazy together

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

I walk almost exclusively. We have a few courses around me (South East Massachusetts) that are extremely hilly and wind in and out of neighborhoods, so there isn't much of an option there. My home course is a perfect walking course and i love it, played 50 holes the other day walking, and routinely play 36 walking.  Great exercise, plus it speeds up the game IMO.  IF everyone walked at a normal pace, directly to their ball, pace of play would be much better. 

:callaway-small:  Epic Flash SZ 9* - HZRDS Yellow 65g X

:ping-small:  G410 Crossover - 17* 2i - Alta CB 70x

:callaway-small:   X-Forged 18 - PX6.5 - 2*UP - "Standard" Length & Lofts

:vokey-small:  SM7 Wedges - 50* - 54* - 60* 

:taylormade-small: TP Patina Series Del Mar - 35" - 2* Loft - 70* Lie

:bridgestone-small: Tour BX

1 hour ago, Live Free Golf MA said:

I walk almost exclusively. We have a few courses around me (South East Massachusetts) that are extremely hilly and wind in and out of neighborhoods, so there isn't much of an option there. My home course is a perfect walking course and i love it, played 50 holes the other day walking, and routinely play 36 walking.  Great exercise, plus it speeds up the game IMO.  IF everyone walked at a normal pace, directly to their ball, pace of play would be much better. 

I don't disagree with you, but............ a lot of us just can't walk any more. I enjoy walking, but I can't carry a bag these days. I can walk with a push cart... and prefer to do so. When I play alone, that is how I like to do it. But, I play with buddies most of the time. They would rather take a cart. So that is how I play most of the time.

1 minute ago, silver & black said:

I don't disagree with you, but............ a lot of us just can't walk any more. I enjoy walking, but I can't carry a bag these days. I can walk with a push cart... and prefer to do so. When I play alone, that is how I like to do it. But, I play with buddies most of the time. They would rather take a cart. So that is how I play most of the time.

Can always still push it though the only down side is weekends around here anyway (northeast) weekends we have to ride which is terrible. Was up in NH last year and there was a guy with a push cart and he RAN the course....gets 2 rounds in a day he said.....crazy

Check out my reviews:

WITB:

I enjoy walking my dog, but except for an easily walkable executive course, I prefer to ride playing golf.  I played my very best rounds on hot humid days, but walking might have changed that.

One gets spoiled.  I walked much more than ride before I retired at 55 and joined our club.  Once I got accustomed to riding regularly, I confess to getting quickly accustomed to it.

There was a beautiful, executive length course in Middleton, Massachusetts that I loved to walk with a classic pencil bag and five or six clubs, even after joining my club, but they sold the land to developers and it closed.

3 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I enjoy walking my dog, but except for an easily walkable executive course, I prefer to ride playing golf.  I played my very best rounds on hot humid days, but walking might have changed that.

One gets spoiled.  I walked much more than ride before I retired at 55 and joined our club.  Once I got accustomed to riding regularly, I confess to getting quickly accustomed to it.

There was a beautiful, executive length course in Middleton, Massachusetts that I loved to walk with a classic pencil bag and five or six clubs, even after joining my club, but they sold the land to developers and it closed.

RetiredBoomer walks his dog, too. It's all is wife lets him do these days. With his club in Massachusetts being closed and all. 

You two should hang out. 

3 minutes ago, jlukes said:

RetiredBoomer walks his dog, too. It's all is wife lets him do these days. With his club in Massachusetts being closed and all. 

You two should hang out. 

I referred Retired Boomer to this website.  He's a member at our club, and live two blocks from me.  He told me that he got in a spat with the mods and stopped posting here.

You and I never got along well, jlukes.

I don't post here that often.  It wouldn't be that hard to ignore my posts, and it would be more pleasant than exchanging snarky remarks.

In any case, be careful and stay healthy.

24 minutes ago, NiftyNiblick said:

I referred Retired Boomer to this website.  He's a member at our club, and live two blocks from me.  He told me that he got in a spat with the mods and stopped posting here.

You and I never got along well, jlukes.

I don't post here that often.  It wouldn't be that hard to ignore my posts, and it would be more pleasant than exchanging snarky remarks.

In any case, be careful and stay healthy.

I was just saying you guys seemed to have a lot in common, that was all.  No need to get defensive.

It's a shame your paths never crossed on here.  He seemed to join right after you took a little hiatus.  And then he got into a spat with the mods, dropped off, but only then you came back.  

Just bad timing, I guess! 

3 hours ago, jlukes said:

I was just saying you guys seemed to have a lot in common, that was all.  No need to get defensive.

It's a shame your paths never crossed on here.  He seemed to join right after you took a little hiatus.  And then he got into a spat with the mods, dropped off, but only then you came back.  

Just bad timing, I guess! 

We have interacted a couple of times on the forum.

If you get likes for your belligerent posts, perhaps it's time for me to disappear as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I love playing and walking. It gives me a chance to slow down and take in the outdoors! 

Driver: :callaway-small:XHot; 10.5°; Project X S Shaft

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Razr X; Stiff shaft

3 Hybrid: :callaway-small: Big Bertha Heavenwood; Loft 20°; Standard Shaft 

Irons: :callaway-small:Diablo Edge; Steel Shafts; Stock Loft and Lie 

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM5 52.12F; SM5 56.14F; SM4 60.04

Putter: :edel-golf-1: Faldo G90

Grips: Golfpride CP2 Standard 

Right-Handed