Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

1. I started playing golf in 6th grade, then stopped in High School I didn't have enough time to play with my HS sports schedule. I started playing again in college and have played regularly for the past 7 years. I'm currently a 16 HDCP.

2. I love the challenge, being out there with friends and meeting new people on the course.

3. I love the unbiased data-driven content and reviews.

4. I'm from Westfield, IN, my home course is WoodWind Golf Club.

5. The best thing about the MW is being able to get 18 in after work during DST, the worst is the snow.

6. I am a software development manager.

7. it was chosen for me?

TM Sim Driver, TM R11 3 Wood, TM M2 4-PW, TM Burner 2.0 AW, T SM7 56, C Mack Daddy 60

23 hours ago, BagofToast said:

I'm a full-time student but work at the course by my place when I can. 

Welcome BagofToast.

If you attend Purdue, the Kampen Course is wonderful
If you attend IU, the Pfau Course is finally a collegiate worthy course

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

4 hours ago, damunoz22 said:

I'm from Westfield, IN, my home course is WoodWind Golf Club.

WoodWind is a nice course. To age myself, I played it as Hanging Tree.

@IndyBonzo lives up on your side of town. We're finally getting enough Indy-area Spies that a outing needs to be figured out

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

Welcome @clarney1 and @BagofToast!  

@CudaKota66 is right - critical mass means Spy Outings in Indiana!  Let's do it.  I can have fun losing to friends new and old.

Working at getting better ... and very slowly getting there.

•  :callaway-small: Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 8* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M0 Otto-Phlex)
  •  :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini driver 13.5* (:accra: FX 3.0 140 M1 Otto-Phlex)
  • :callaway-small: Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids
  •  Maltby TS3 (4-8)/TS4 (9-PW)/TS1 (GW) (shafts:  :projectx: LZ 6.0)
  • :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore 53*, and 58* mid wedges (:projectx: wedge shafts 6.5)
  • :L.A.B.: DF 2.1 (BTG shaft)
  • :redrooster: Gloves

My Official 2024 TaylorMade Qi10 Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62804-taylormade-qi10-drivers-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1014200

My Official 2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Review:  https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/58614-2023-mgs-forum-member-test-red-rooster-sussex-golf-glove/#comment-911042

I do want to go check out the Pfau course! I've heard great things, it would be a good excuse to spend a couple of days back down in Bloomington. Go Hoosiers!

TM Sim Driver, TM R11 3 Wood, TM M2 4-PW, TM Burner 2.0 AW, T SM7 56, C Mack Daddy 60

New to the forum and wanted to introduce myself!

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf ever since I can remember. I grew up playing with my dad, who is also an avid golfer. My current handicap is a 12.5 but I'm trying to get into single digits this year. Normal score usually mid eighties.

What do you love about golf?

I love the community of golf. It has helped me maintain relationships with old friends and grow relationships with new friends. I also love using golf as an escape from the real world. Being surrounded by nature, hanging with friends and shooting over par. Doesn't get much better.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I've been following MyGolfSpy for a while on social media. I've always appreciated the content they have produced and the research they publish regarding golf equipment. My brother in law @Swood1994 told me I should join the forum so we could nerd out over golf even more than we already do.

Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm originally from Syracuse, NY and my home course growing up was Bellevue Country Club. A beautiful Donald Ross designed club that I still enjoy playing with my dad. I'm currently based in Chicago, IL and don't have a home course. Although Sunset Valley, Highlands of Elgin and Bowes Creek are some courses I enjoy frequenting.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing about golf in my region is that there are a ton of really nice courses within an hour of downtown Chicago. Sometimes the commute to and from the course can be tough with traffic, but it's usually worth it in the end. The worst thing about golf in my region is the short season. Chicago winters can be long and brutal and there are usually only four or so solid months of golf available all year.

What do you do for a living?

I am currently a corporate accountant for a sports gambling company. It's not the most glamorous job, but it pays the greens fees.

How’d you pick your user name?

Byrnzee is a nickname that family members and close friends have called me growing up. It's a play on words of my last name Byrne, pronounced like "burn"

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

1.How long have you been playing golf?

30+ years! It's crazy to know its been that long. I was 10 years old when I picked up a club at the local flea market and thought to myself, "How does this work?" but my father saw how much I liked it and eventually bought me my first set of clubs and got me a few lessons with a local pro. From there I just played every chance I got. I was never fortunate enough to have access to more coaching so I typically just taught myself everything. The high school golf team was fun but ultimately became a popularity contest so I ended up just being a weekend golfer and never taking it any further. I played alot after we moved to Ohio in 2007. Then after a few years I took about a 9-10 year break, went to The Memorial Tournament with a friend and I got the bug again, and now so does my teenage son!

2.What’s your handicap or normal score?

Never got a handicap before. I am an average golfer that shoots for bogey on most holes. I recently put in a lot of work in the net and on the range and played my first 2 rounds of golf this year. This last round I shot my personal best 84!

3.What do you love about golf?

The connection to nature and the soul. I genuinely love all aspects of it to be honest. From enjoying the outdoors, camaraderie with friends, and funny stories but also the sweet sweet feeling of hitting a perfect drive into the fairway OR rolling a long birdie putt into the hole. Golf is a metaphor for life I think.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? 

I found a lot of the articles on the site extremely informative and well thought out. I really geeked out on the ball tests from 2021 (can't wait for the next one!). Then i saw you had a forum for testers needed from a post on IG. So I thought this would be a great way to learn more and meet people. Don't know anyone here (yet).

5.Where are you from? What is your home course?

I reside in Kettering OH just south of Dayton. Not sure I have a home course yet b/c I have only played on 1 course in the area so far.

6.What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best is all of the amazing courses and the golf leagues. You can really see how much golf means to this region because of all the history in courses like Moraine Country Club and the NCR courses plus the fantasic public options like Yankee Trace and Beavercreek GC. I haven't seen anything I would consider terrible, but the price of greens fees and memberships to clubs does put the experience out of reach for lots of us.

7.What do you do for a living?

IT Director

8.How’d you pick your user name?

Snoopy is a Beagle...and so am I. 🙂

WITB

• Driver - Callaway X-Tour 9.5
  • FW - Maltby KE4
  • 4H - Wilson Profile SS431 (part of box set)
  • 5-PW - Wilson Profile SS431 (part of box set) game improvement
  • Maltby 56 degree
  • Random 60 degree
  • Used Wilson Harmonized Putter
Edited by snoopy79

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: Testing default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges Go here to learn more!

Putter:   Sub70.png Sycamore 008 Mallet

Preferred Ball: TBD

15 minutes ago, snoopy79 said:

1.How long have you been playing golf?

30+ years! It's crazy to know its been that long. I was 10 years old when I picked up a club at the local flea market and thought to myself, "How does this work?" but my father saw how much I liked it and eventually bought me my first set of clubs and got me a few lessons with a local pro. From there I just played every chance I got. I was never fortunate enough to have access to more coaching so I typically just taught myself everything. The high school golf team was fun but ultimately became a popularity contest so I ended up just being a weekend golfer and never taking it any further. I played alot after we moved to Ohio in 2007. Then after a few years I took about a 9-10 year break, went to The Memorial Tournament with a friend and I got the bug again, and now so does my teenage son!

2.What’s your handicap or normal score?

Never got a handicap before. I am an average golfer that shoots for bogey on most holes. I recently put in a lot of work in the net and on the range and played my first 2 rounds of golf this year. This last round I shot my personal best 84!

3.What do you love about golf?

The connection to nature and the soul. I genuinely love all aspects of it to be honest. From enjoying the outdoors, camaraderie with friends, and funny stories but also the sweet sweet feeling of hitting a perfect drive into the fairway OR rolling a long birdie putt into the hole. Golf is a metaphor for life I think.

I found a lot of the articles on the site extremely informative and well thought out. I really geeked out on the ball tests from 2021 (can't wait for the next one!). Then i saw you had a forum for testers needed from a post on IG. So I thought this would be a great way to learn more and meet people. Don't know anyone here (yet).

I reside in Kettering OH just south of Dayton. Not sure I have a home course yet b/c I have only played on 1 course in the area so far.

The best is all of the amazing courses and the golf leagues. You can really see how much golf means to this region because of all the history in courses like Moraine Country Club and the NCR courses plus the fantasic public options like Yankee Trace and Beavercreek GC. I haven't seen anything I would consider terrible, but the price of greens fees and memberships to clubs does put the experience out of reach for lots of us.

IT Director

8.How’d you pick your user name?

Snoopy is a Beagle...and so am I. 🙂

WITB

• Driver - Callaway X-Tour 9.5
  • FW - Maltby KE4
  • 4H - Wilson Profile SS431 (part of box set)
  • 5-PW - Wilson Profile SS431 (part of box set) game improvement
  • Maltby 56 degree
  • Random 60 degree
  • Used Wilson Harmonized Putter

Welcome to the forum! I’m down the road a little ways from you in South Lebanon. This is a fun place, with a lot of good folks, so have a look around and be sure to contribute to the threads you find interesting. 

WITB:

D: :taylormade-small: QI-10 core 9* Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x

3w: :taylormade-small: Brnr mini driver 13.5 Kai Li White 70x

3h: :ping-small: G430 19° Tour 2/Stiff

7W: :callaway-small: 21° Rogue ST Max LinQ 7X

5i-6i:  :srixon-small: ZX5 MKII Project X 6.0

7i-PW: :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII Project X 6.0

50°, 54° & 58°:   :ping-small: Glide Forged Pro

P:   :cameron-small: Special Select Del Mar

Ball:  :bridgestone-small: Tour BX mindset

Bag:  Ghost MGS Anyday 14 way

"And so, we beat on, boats against the current, borne ceaselessly into the past." - Fitzgerald

” The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   

And miles to go before I sleep,   

And miles to go before I sleep. - Frost

"That you are here—that life exists and identity,

That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse." - Whitman

As the saying goes "long time lurker, first time poster". I would like to try to start being a little more active so why not start here?

1. How long have you been playing golf?

Been playing for 20 or so years but always pretty casual until about 2-3 years ago when I started taking it more serious and wanting to get better and be happy with my game.

2. What’s your handicap or normal score?

I think I'm at a 21 or so as of now. Don't have an official GHIN but the app I use gives me a handicap. Ended last year at a 25 so we are trending in the right direction!

3. What do you love about golf?

The mental challenge (obviously is also very frustrating) but the "problem solving" aspect of it: I'm 80 yards out, do I hit a soft gap wedge or full sand? Once I decide and hit, I mentally record what I did and where it went and hopefully I remember what I did last time so I can repeat when I am there again (doesn't usually happen but I still try).

I also really enjoy the outdoors of it and all of the fun places that you can golf (Banff is bucket list and will be golfing in Italy in October).

4.What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I think I was looking for some reviews for some products a few years back and stumbled upon MyGolfSpy and have enjoyed it since. The main website is nice to get exposure to products, but I like the forum to get better insight and honest reviews to products from multiple people, or what they have tried in replacement to said product.

I'm about 30 minutes north of the twin cities. 2 of the courses I constantly go back to are The Refuge and Bunker Hills. Both have their challenges but are pretty nice courses grass wise and aesthetics.

Best- The variety of courses. There are some wide open, plains style courses closer to the cities and then very woodsy courses as well.

Worst- Winter & Spring. I like to get to a local sim to still play during the winter, but its not the same. And then all of the rain and mud during the spring.

Mechanical Engineer, building fire trucks.

8.How’d you pick your user name?

I'm from Minnesota and bogies are obviously apart of golf and very much apart of my scorecard.

WITB

• Driver: Sub 70 849D
  • 4H: Sub 70 939x
  • Irons (5-AW): Sub 70 699 Pro (1.0)
  • Wedge: Sub 70 JB Full Groove 56deg
  • Putter: Sub 70 004

Driver: sub70.png.745ab1b4aca87149ac2ff24116ab08c1.png 849D 10.5*

Hybrid: sub70.png.745ab1b4aca87149ac2ff24116ab08c1.png 939x 21*

Irons: sub70.png.745ab1b4aca87149ac2ff24116ab08c1.png 699 Pro (5i-AW)

Wedge: sub70.png.745ab1b4aca87149ac2ff24116ab08c1.png JB Full Groove 56*

Putter: sub70.png.745ab1b4aca87149ac2ff24116ab08c1.png 004 Mallet

2 hours ago, Ben Joest said:

Welcome to the forum! I’m down the road a little ways from you in South Lebanon. This is a fun place, with a lot of good folks, so have a look around and be sure to contribute to the threads you find interesting. 

Thanks Ben! Yeah you aren't far away at all. I will have to head down that way sometime and see what courses are in the area

Current WITB:

Driver:   default_benhogan-small.gif.bd4aea80f46a0fd64e2b8412d1ee19dc.gif Big Ben CS3 9.5deg Aldila NV-h 70-R w/JumboMax Tour Series grip

Fairway: Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png KE4 3W w/KE4 75-R

Irons Screenshot2023-10-09155350.png.f5298944b93169e969fa080bb4230249.png MMB Forged 3-PW w/TT Dynamic Gold Lite

Wedges: Testing default_titelist-small.jpg.70ad9f722a0db80227389c6cf555806c.jpg Vokey SM10 wedges Go here to learn more!

I've played the last 20 years and got heavy into it when I was in High School then again in the Military until my usual buddies moved away, but started to take it more serious this last year with my son showing heavy interest.

I normally shoot mid to upper 80's but don't have an official GHIN as of yet.

The fact that it's a competition within yourself and the course. I also enjoy being out in nature and taking in the scenery of the course and its surroundings. Additionally, the mental release of everything else going on in your world and life during those moments you're on the course.

I've always looked towards the reviews and decided to join to post and meet others, as of yet I don't know any other Spies.

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I'm currently in O'Fallon, IL. I don't currently have a home course but mostly frequent Stonewolf Golf Club and Far Oaks Golf Club.

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best - A lot of courses around me with great variety, also due to my location I can reach a lot of really nice courses for just a short drive.

Worst - It's the Midwest, you have the odds of experiencing all 4 seasons in a round.

7. What do you do for a living?

Senior Systems Administrator

8. How’d you pick your user name?

I based my username off my name and have just used it forever.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 9°, Ventus Red 5S
Fairway Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 15° & 18°, Ventus Red 6S
4 Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2, Ventus Red 7S
5-PW: :taylormade-small: P790, True Temper Elevate MPH 95 S
Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 - 52°, 56°, 60° - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Double Wide

I've been playing on and off for 30 years. Started in middle school and was really never great. Devoting more time to it over the last 5 or so years. 

I am hovering just above 100. 102 -108 most rounds. A couple better chips and I'll break 100

I love that it is near impossible to think about anything else while you golf. I love the social aspect and that sweet sweet feeling of flushing an iron and draining a 30 foot putt. 

I like reading about golf. All aspects. Reviews, articles, forums. I really enjoyed Tom Coyne's books. 

From Flint, MI, now in Kalamazoo. Don't have a home course just courses I frequent more than others. 

Best - I pass 7 public courses between work and home every day. And we have some truely special courses near by for when we are willing to treat ourselves. 

Worst - Snow for what seems like 6 months of the year

Certified Safety Professional 

Its as much an autobiography as a user name. 

D - Adams Super S speedline

3W - tour edge E523

3H - TaylorMade i7

4H-PW - Wilson Staff D300

GW/SW/LW - Kirkland

Putter - Nike Mc-i5 Method core

25 handicap with aspirations of 13

I've been around the game since birth but didn't have a high school team.  Minimal play for most of my life until 2019 when I got a membership and have played heavily since.

I started about 15 and have trimmed to 7.6 with much room for growth.  I am liable for a 74 or an 84 on any given day.

How can you not love golf?  From the fun of Thursday league to the competitiveness of a club championship, golf has it all.  There is nothing quite like riding the bogey train for 4 holes, questioning your existence, and then sticking one close for birdie.  To quote the greatest QB of all time "How can you not be romantic about football golf."

I'm a data nerd at heart and love a review that grinds out all the stats.  I do not know any other Spies, yet.

From South Central Wisconsin and am a member at Edelweiss.

Within a few hour drive, I have a litany of top 100 courses at my disposal.  Having so many incredible courses to think about only makes the long winters more grueling.  

Project Manager 

I'm an unoriginal loser and use the same username for literally everything else.  Gotta make it easy for the hackers. 

Driver: Ping G425 LST

Driving Iron: Taylormade Sim UDI 2 iron

Hybird: Taylormade Rescue

Irons: Taylormade Tour Prefered MC 4-P

Wedges: Vokey 52, 56, 60

Putter: Taylormade Spider Tour Black

2 hours ago, mattgreene said:

I've been around the game since birth but didn't have a high school team.  Minimal play for most of my life until 2019 when I got a membership and have played heavily since.

I started about 15 and have trimmed to 7.6 with much room for growth.  I am liable for a 74 or an 84 on any given day.

How can you not love golf?  From the fun of Thursday league to the competitiveness of a club championship, golf has it all.  There is nothing quite like riding the bogey train for 4 holes, questioning your existence, and then sticking one close for birdie.  To quote the greatest QB of all time "How can you not be romantic about football golf."

I'm a data nerd at heart and love a review that grinds out all the stats.  I do not know any other Spies, yet.

From South Central Wisconsin and am a member at Edelweiss.

Within a few hour drive, I have a litany of top 100 courses at my disposal.  Having so many incredible courses to think about only makes the long winters more grueling.  

Project Manager 

I'm an unoriginal loser and use the same username for literally everything else.  Gotta make it easy for the hackers. 

Welcome to the forums! I am new to the forums as well but wanted to extend the welcome anyways 🙂

It made me laugh reading your reply to #8. 😆 As an IT Director i deal with cybersecurity every day so yeah it made me chuckle.

Current WITB:

Hey everybody, I’ve been on the forums for a while now but thought I’d throw out some info to get to know everyone better!

1. How long have you been playing golf?

I’m 27 now and started playing when I was 12. Didn’t swing a club from age 14-18 then started again once I got to college. I was probably a 18 handicap then and have since gotten down to a 5. The addiction is real. 

I’ve gotten down to a 5 this year and have been consistently shooting 75-80 for most of the summer.

3. What do you love about golf?

Pretty much everything. I love getting up early and driving to the course. Getting food and a drink in the clubhouse before a round. Once I’m at the course I’m in a better place. Obviously hitting good shots and making putts is probably the best thing about the game, but everything that comes with it is a positive thing in my life. 

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

To test equipment of course! The chance to be a tester brought me here but all of the other information I’ve gotten from the forums has been fantastic. All the positive feedback from other spies has really been awesome. I don’t know any other spies personally but I’ve had a great time interacting with everyone on the site. 

5. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I’m from Minneapolis, Mn and have been located here my entire life. I’m a member at Braemar golf course but I bounce around quite a bit to whatever course will have me.(hard to find a tee time these days)

6. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The best thing about living in Minneapolis is the amount of courses(public and private) around. I don’t have to drive more than 30 minutes to find a nice course to play at. The worst thing in my life right now is that we can only play golf 4-5 moths a year! Tough life, I know. 

7. What do you do for a living?

Mechanical Engineer. 

8. How’d you pick your user name?

NickyBobby, like Ricky Bobby. Because my name is Nick…. Ha Ha play on words 

Currently hitting a ping g410 driver and hybrid. Titleist 715 3 wood. Ping i500 irons. Cleveland RTX 4 wedges and an odyssey white hot og 7s putter. 

My grandpa put a club in my hand as soon as he could so I was about 6 years old which makes it just about 17 years that I have been playing. I played through high school but then during college only played during the summers and probably 3-4 times if that. Now I am getting back into it being a recent grad so I have some time to spend on the weekends and evenings. My handicap is sitting at about a 5.2 right now and I am shooting 76-79 pretty regularly when I play.

Being a baseball player growing up it was always a dream to play in the big leagues but that didn't quite pan out so I fell into the spiral of playing golf religiously as many ex-ball players do. The thing that keeps me coming back is the fact that there is always something that you could do better. My grandfather introduced me to the game when I was young and used to take me to the range, lessons, and even a little par 3 course all the time. He has since passed so playing golf also makes me think of him and all the good memories we had together.

I've been a lurker on this website for a couple years now always coming back for the ball lab reviews and looking at new equipment before buying anything. This website is one of the reasons that I opted for the driver I currently have in the bag (Cobra LTDX ls) as I have played Callaway drivers for ever. I don't think I know anyone else who uses these forums but I have some other golfers in my family so I wouldn't be surprised.

I am from southern Illinois right on the other side of the Mississippi River from St. Louis, MO. I always say I am from. St. Louis as it is easier to explain that a little town in the suburbs. My home course is Belk Park in Wood River, IL. There are courses in my actual town but they are run down and not in great shape. If anyone is ever in the southern Illinois area I would highly recommend playing at Belk Park and at Stonewolf in Fairview Heights.

Best things are the fact that most of the courses are in pretty good shape and often are relatively flat and wide open so it is pretty easy to score well.

The worst things are the heat. It often gets to be 95+ in the summer so playing can be tough if you don't stay hydrated. This also affects the courses a little bit during the summer months as they will get some dead spots if there isn't much rain.

I trade crypto lol

It is my gamertag. Pretty much use it for everything now. There's no story behind it it was just randomly generated with a string of numbers which I removed and the rest is history.

Cobra LTDx 9 HZDRS Smoke Green X

Taylormade M6 3wd Tensei S

Taylormade Sim Max 4hy Tensei R

Mizuno MP-54 3-pw DG S300

PXG 0311 Chrome 52,56,58 DG S300

Nike Method MCi4

How long have you been playing golf?

I was brought into golf as a kid by my dad. I played occasionally, but didn’t really have much interest as I was quite into other sports, football, basketball, baseball, etc. However, after caddying for a year, it began to truly peak my interest in my last two years of high school. Since then golf has consumed my summers. Constant practice, play, consumption of YouTube videos, and now that it’s been a few years since I’ve played a sport competitively, I would like to try my hand at competitive golf soon.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

Mid to high 80’s 

I love that there’s almost no flukes in golf. There’s so much of a grind to teach your body how to hit certain clubs, play certain shots, and how to go about playing different holes and courses. It makes practice and success feel extremely rewarding.

Im very much an equipment and specs nerd. Coming from a background in cameras from videography and photography, I’ve learned that both what changes to expect on an image from using certain pieces of equipment, and how to use that information to achieve my goal of a shot. This same idea applies to golf, and I’d like to learn more about the technical aspects of different clubs and shafts as well as the golf swing. Learning this stuff boosts my confidence on the course big time. I feel as if here along with some other websites I can get trustworthy insight to these things.

Im from the Chicagoland area, and my home course is Coyote Run.

No matter what anyone tells me, I will never enjoy an Illinois winter lol.

I am a photographer, videographer, and filmmaker.

By lacking any creativity

1. How long have you been playing golf? What's your handicap or normal score?

I grew up playing golf, played most days in the summer during middle school and high school.  Our city had a pass program for juniors that you payed a $200 at the start of the season and each 9 holes was only a 25 cents and 18 was 50 cents. Then I went off to college and stopped playing for over a decade. A few years ago I got the desire to pick it back up and have been obsessed ever since.

My current handicap is around a 4.5

2. What do you love about golf?

There are different aspects I love about this sport. To start, I love how no 2 shots are the same and what you can do with each shot. Controlling spin, height, shape, etc. I never lost the part of me that practiced unnecessary Mickelson-esq flop shots as a kid.

Another aspect I love is when I'm able to play more remote courses and have time in nature.  Playing in environments where I can have a moment and take it all in. The peacefulness surrounding me, the meditative nature of the sport, enjoying the good shots and laughing at the bad.

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I don't know any other confirmed Spies, but I have a friend who browses around here. I'm also just looking for more avenues to partake in discussions with gear-heads.

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I don't really have a home course. There is a program where I live that courses across the Minneapolis-St Paul metro participate in that give access to a bunch of courses for discounted rates so I bounce around. I pay $69 a month and there are over 100 courses divided up into 4 tiers. Tier 1 and 2 are free if walk during the week and $20 on weekends, tier 3 is $30 all week, tier 4 is $49 all week. All prices are for 18 and tier 3 and 4 include carts in the price.

Because of the program I bounce around so I don't get bored playing one course over and over. Granted there are some that I keep returning to out of convenience, ability to get a tee time, or I just really like the course.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Despite being a very northern state (Minnesota), I think we have a great golf community. Very friendly people, and a lot of sneaky good courses. The worst thing is obviously how long our winters are. I will play until the last course closes, but I can only hit into a net so long before I start to go nuts.

6. What do you do for a living?

I am a Operations Supervisor for a major US airline.

7. How'd you pick your user name?

Years ago I worked at Banana Republic and at a lot of banana peppers. Made a drunk username for another site and I've been too lazy come up with a new name.

Driver - Titleist TSr3 8° Ventus Blue 6x

Fairway wood - Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 wood 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 7x

Driving iron - Taylormade P770 18° 2 iron Project X LS 6.5 125g

Irons - Taylormade P7-MC 4-PW KBS $-taper X 130g hard stepped

Wedges - Titleist SM9 50°, 55°, 59° DG X100

Putter - Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas putter

Ball - Bridgestone Tour B X but not settled yet

1. How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I have been playing golf for about 12 years, but I have gotten more "serious" (upped my frequency of playing) within the last 4 years.

I normally shoot in the mid-to high 80's.

2. What do you love about golf?

I love that there is always something to improve on with golf! I am not super competitive, but playing to improve is fun for me. Even on my best rounds, there is always something I could have done better. I also enjoy getting to play on weekends with a few drinks and my buddies!

3. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I found MyGolfSpy through Twitter/online when looking up reviews on clubs, balls, etc. As far as I know, nobody I know uses forums at all!

4. Where are you from? What is your home course?

I am originally from the NW suburbs of Chicago, currently reside in the city proper (for now). I play wherever I can find a tee time with decent course conditions. The home course would probably be Highland Woods, where I played a majority of my golf during COVID. It's where I got to improve and really start enjoying the game.

5. What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Best thing: The options. You can find some links style courses, some forest preserve courses, and some golf clubs. The price is welcoming for all budgets as well.

Worst thing: The commute from the city as well as needing to plan ahead. I rarely find a good tee time at a serviceable course a day or two out. But, at the same time - any golf is good golf to me. Sometimes it's hard to plan with buddies who have different schedules. 

6. What do you do for a living?

I work in HR, specifically compensation. I use excel and run lots of reports; golf is my escape from my desk!

7. How’d you pick your user name?

No rhyme or reason really, has to do with my name. I also like the # 15, not sure why!

Edited by MH15

D : Cobra LTDx Max

FW : Stealth 3 Fairway + Big Bertha #7 Hybrid (lol, I know)

Irons : Too Old (Cobra AMP Cell 4-GW)

Wedges : Need Some Recs! Cobra AMP Cell GW Wilson Harmonized 56

Putter : Huntington Beach Soft 11

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Read my 2023 Titleist White Box Review!

1.How long have you been playing golf? When I could walk my dad put a club in my hand.

2.What’s your handicap or normal score? 4 - Mid-High 70's low 80's

3.What do you love about golf? Parallels to life: No matter how good you get, you can always improve. You can get good bounces on bad shots, and bad bounces on good shots, just have to keep playing.

4. What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Have followed MGS testing data and rankings for a while. Appreciate that MGS points out brands I might not have heard of or tried.

5.Where are you from? Grand Rapids, MI. Home course: Quail Ridge Golf Club.

6.What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Summer golf is incredible, but can't play in the winter. Would love to build a shed in the backyard with a full sim set-up someday.

7.What do you do for a living? Wealth management for a multi-family office RIA. 

WITB:

Taylormade M5 Driver w/ Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 6X

Taylormade SIM2 3 Wood w/ Fujikura Ventus Velocore Black 7X

Taylormade SIM2 Rescue #3-19 w/ Oban Devotion 8X

Titleist T200 4 Iron w/ AMT Black S300

Titleist T100S 5-PW w/ Oban CT 115

Titleist Vokey Wedges 52, 56, 60

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Nate

Hi All, 

How long have I been playing golf. I swung a few clubs as a teenager, but didn't actually take anything seriously till I was 25. Got an old set of Haig Ultra blades and went to a big park and learned how to hit them when no one else was there LOL, read a couple books (before the net) Golf my way and I think it was a Tom Watson book, don't remember the name. Anyway, got somewhat consistent, did a work outing at a really nice club, boss was a member, almost made a birdie on a par 3, (let's not talk about the rest) and been hooked ever since. HC is 17, normally shoot mid 80's to low 90's.

What I love about golf is a lot actually. Great exercise, challenging, good contact is the best feeling, playing with others in beautiful settings, goes on and on. As they say, just takes 1 good shot to bring you back.

I came here because I saw something about the testing aspect. I used to do a lot of retail shopping side jobs that required detailed reports on products and services, so I figured I would be good at reviews, get to play with new stuff, and that seemed awesome. I should have known it would be tough to get selected LOL, but oh well, I will give it a shot. There is actually a ton of good info throughout the site. Working on trying to figure out how to get some of those icons on the left side of my posts, and build a rep on the site. I am sure that is on other forums, I'll find if... Probably 🙂

From Seattle area, currently in Illinois, above Chicago. My home course varies between Veterans Memorial at naval Station Great Lakes and Antioch Golf Club near my house.

Certainly the worst thing about golf here is the winter. It's how I got here, researching options for sims. Best thing has to be there are a LOT of great courses around me. Be going to watch the BMW this weekend at one of them in fact 🙂 Sure wish I could play that one Ha Ha.

I am retired Navy, and I currently teach accession level sailors at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. 

My user name comes from a combination of the job I did in the Navy and the fact I am a rock musician, specifically a Singer / Guitarist.

Cheers all, see you in the forums.

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

Played golf for around 10 years before buying the ranch. Took 9 years off between rounds as I built up the farm and started playing again this year. Never had a handicap but used to regularly score between 87 and 92 with a best round of 81. So far this year my best round is a 94.  

What do you love about golf? The challenge of playing golf in different conditions on different courses.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? Saw what the site does and it’s very interesting and informative. I don’t know any other spies.

Where are you from? What is your home course? Marshall, Mi. I tend to play Medalist the most often

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? Best- tons of courses and great summer weather.

worst- slow pace of play

What do you do for a living? Own a beef cattle ranch

How’d you pick your user name? I love to golf and work a cattle ranch

witb

Taylormade Burner Superfast 2.0

Cobra Fairway woods

Wilson Pi7 irons

vokey spin milled 52 and 58 degree

Taylormade Rossa putter

Edited by Golfcowboy

TaylorMade Burner Superfast 2.0

Cobra Fairway woods

Wilson Pi7 irons

Vokey 52, 58 wedges

Taylormade Rossa Putter

I started playing when I was 13-14. Then I played on the high school team for all 4 years. So that's about 30 years now. But I didn't play much in college and went for a long stretch not playing much, mostly because it's expensive and I didn't have golf buddies around. I have been playing a lot more regularly the past few seasons with being on a league team, which I really enjoy since I can put more time and effort into it and play a bit better. And I take the odd golf trip with friends - wife's cousins, sometimes Dad. I would say I'm a slightly better than bogey golfer. I mostly play 9 holes, so my score is usually a little under 45. I have broken 40 twice and shot 40 twice this year. I feel like I should be doing that more often since I can hit longer and know way more than I did when I was in high school. Though I did play a lot more back then. I need to tighten up the long game and keep it in play.

It's probably the same as when I started. It's a natural adult extension to playing outdoors, which I did a lot as a kid, and I still love the outdoors. And as an introvert, the internal struggle is a very natural thing for me. I like the you vs. the golf course and you vs. yourself aspect. It's unique that it is always a challenging game for everyone, whether you score very low or high. 

I don't know any others yet. My GPS watch broke this year, so I started looking for a replacement. From there I started geeking out on golf gear, which I've never done before. I've been reading up on Shot Scope and apps such as Golfshot - that brought me to this forum. I'm trying the Golfshot app now, just 3 rounds in. And I ended up reading a lot of stuff all over the map related to golf, so that repeatedly brought me to forum posts at forums like this one. But I can't lie, I saw a potential discount for forum members on a Golfshot membership so I made an account and I'll see if I can get that soon. I figured I should post something else as my first post before a "hey can you give me the discount code too" post, lol.

I live in the Illinois side of the Metro St. Louis area. Everyone here has a connection to St. Louis since it's close. MO would be a different region for this post, but I'm in IL so here we go. I see there are some people really close to me in just the last few posts. Hi @Splouie and @TCIII and everybody from Metro-east!

I play mostly at Arlington Greens lately. My league team moved from Oak Brook to there last year. By chance, my wife's uncle invited me to be on his league team on a different day of the week at the same course. So I am in 2 leagues there, and I play there once or twice a week now, 9-holes. That second league also has my wife's cousin, and some of her dad's buddies on different teams which is pretty neat.

As @Splouie said, the heat and humidity can be terrible here in the summer. Between the sweat and the sunscreen, I have to shower after. Could be worse I guess, could be Florida. Spring and Fall, or beginning/end of Summer are nicer. My friend in Albuquerque texted me recently "at least you're not in the 100s". I checked the "feels like" temp numbers and ours was higher than Albuquerque's by a couple degrees. So I bragged back about our humidity "advantage"... you have a dry heat dude. But the weather changes often so that keeps it interesting. We have storms that can dump a lot of rain in bursts, but most of the time the weather is not threatening.

Best things? I don't golf a ton of other places, but I guess it might be affordability. It varies a LOT by course, but it's possible to find decent courses that are around $40 for 18 on a weekend. And I've seen membership costs to hybrid member/public courses that are quite low. The cost of living here is lower (so are paychecks). We have enough rain for courses to usually be in good shape. Our seasons are quite strong, but they probably give more golf time than some other places in the plains/mountains/Canada. That said, I don't try playing in winter and for sure my golf drops off when league isn't going.

I do software engineering and other data-focused work.

I love hiking and backpacking and started using this name for things years ago. Need to do more hiking and backpacking lately though!

WITB (I guess I have to make a signature of this)

• Driver: Ping G20
  • 3 Wood: Cobra Speedzone (adjusted to 16 degrees)
  • Irons: Ping i200 (3-UW)
  • Wedge: Ray Cook 60 degree
  • Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Edited by HikingMike

Driver: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png G400 LST 8.5°

3W: cobra2.png.60653951979ca617ca859530a17d0a2d.png King Speedzone

Irons: ping.png.006bacb76d65413e66b9c8eb1b47f592.png i200 (3 thru PW & UW)

Wedge: Ray Cook 60 deg

Putter: Spalding TP Mills 3

Tech: golfshot.png.5c17c64b9425413b3bf24668ce3fa044.png on Apple Watch & phone

How long have you been playing golf? - 20 years

What’s your handicap or normal score? - +4.4

What do you love about golf? - it is something I can do for basically the rest of my life. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? - followed the labs for a few years, got hooked.

Where are you from? What is your home course? - Warren Ohio - home course is Windmill Lakes

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? - Best would be cost to play - worst would be the winter golf season

What do you do for a living? - i sell parts to steel mills

How’d you pick your user name? - my name and low round. 

now for the fun stuff... WITB 

Driver - ping G430LST with Hzrdus smoke green small batch 60g 6.5TX

3 wood - Ping G430LST with HZRDUS smaoke green small batch 70g 6.5TX

Ping iCrossover 3 - Kai'Li white 80X

Srixon zx7 mk2 - 4-PW - Tour Issue DG X100

Cleveland RTX6 zipcore 50, 54, 58 DG tour issue Spinner

Odyssey Tourlon Atlanta H4.5

Zstar Diamond

Taylor Made Qi10 LS - 8* set to 6* - Ventus TR black 7x

Taylor Made Qi10 Tour 3 wood - Ventus TR black 8x

Callaway Apex UT 2024 18* - Ventus black HB10TX

Callaway Apex pro 2024 - Project X LS 6.5 4-PW

Callaway Jaws Raw - 50, 54, 58 - project X LS 6.5

Odyssey Jailbird 380 

1. I took up the game at 8 in 1993 when we moved on to a par 5 at Desert Canyon in AZ. Handicap is a 4 right now. There is no normal score! I could shoot 72 or 92. 

2. What I love about golf is creativity. I’ve never been one to shy away from a risky shot. 

3. I enjoy the review by mygolfspy. Slowly building out my basement golf room and always looking for good options. 

4. Grew up in AZ. Was in the industry for a decade so home course was wherever I was working at the time. Stonecreek, Desert Highlands in Arizona and Hillcrest In Indiana. Currently reside in Indy area with no home course. 

5. The best is the fall golf. Few people on course and perfect weather. The worst is the short season. 

6. Former PGA which clearly is natural path to be an accountant…

7. Initials were also a fun play on being a swing doctor. 

Cheers All. 

Recovering Golf Addict 

Midwestern Hello to all MyGolfSpyMembers!

How long have you been playing golf?  -  I started playing about 10 years ago

What’s your handicap or normal score?  I have brought my score down to 90 this year

What do you love about golf?  - I love getting out and playing new courses, scenery, and the fellowship

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? -  I do not know any other spies but the articles, reviews, and forum topics have made me a better golfer! 

Where are you from? -  I live in Holland Michigan and my local home course is the The Ravines Golf Club of Saugatuck.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  - The best, the number of courses in Michigan.  The Worst - the weather.

What do you do for a living?  - ISO certification

How’d you pick your user name? - Just made it up to represent the numerous hobbies I enjoy.  Can't wait for retirement!

WITB:

D:  TSr 2   stiff

3w:  TSR 2

4I - PW: Srixon ZX4

Ball:   ProV left dash, Chrome Soft X LS w/ triple track,  MaxFli Tour

Bag:  Titleist 

I've been playing for close to 30 years. I started junior golf programs when I was 6, played in high school and did alright for myself. I only really started seriously trying to improve around 2016 by actually taking lessons, but didn't play at all between 2020-2022. I got back into it this year and have my index down to 5.5.  Currently, normal score is 78-80.

Here's a really fun answer: the handicap system!  I love that golf has a measuring stick of skill that translates to any course and basically distills everything down to a single number.  Every aspect of your game contributes to it and you can see exact progress from any improvements.  

Product reviews, and maybe being a tester myself one day.

I'm in the Milwaukee area.  Home course is Brown Deer Golf Park.

Best thing is probably the Milwaukee County courses: great courses at a discount for local residents.  Brown Deer used to host a PGA tour event every year that I was always super excited to go to as a kid.

Worst thing is, unsurprisingly, the winter months of no golf.

✨SPREADSHEETS✨, it's a little more than that but not by much.  This also probably explains my second answer.

Just what the people from my hometown would be called technically.  I've never heard anyone actually use it.

Driver:     :ping-small: G430 LST 9°
3 wood:  :titleist-small:  917F2 
Irons:      :taylormade-small: M2 Tour (4-GW)
Wedges:  :vokey-small:SM6 54° S Grind, 60° M Grind
Putter:    :ping-small: G2i Anser C
Balls:      :vice: Pro Plus

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? I have been playing golf on and off for roughly 25 years.  I'm back to playing weekly since COVID.  Wife told me I needed a hobby that wasn't video games.  I was using a 30 year old set of Titlest DCI but upgraded to the Callaway Rogues after a fitting.  I'm roughly a 30 handicap and recently found out that my grip was the biggest reason for my super slice. 

What do you love about golf? I love the quiet of a golf course in the early morning.  Wish it wasn't so wet though.

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies? I was referred here by a colleague. She mentioned she was active in the forums and testing equipment.  I thought why not join some fellow golf degenerates?  

Where are you from? What is your home course? I am from Terre Haute, IN.  I guess my home course would be the local executive course, Mark's Par 3.  I am branching out to tougher courses including Hulman Links.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? The best is that during the summer, the sun doesn't set until pretty late.  I can play a round of golf after work and not worry about it getting dark.  The worst is the weather.  I'm looking forward to retiring somewhere warmer.

What do you do for a living? I am the General Manager for our college radio stations.  I also teach courses in communication and media.

How’d you pick your user name? I'm a radio guy and my name is Rich. real clever over here.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9 degree
3 wood: Callaway Rogue
3,4 Hybrid: Callaway Rogue
5-pw irons: Callaway Rogue
60 degee: Callaway Jaws
putter: odyssey 2ball

Rich Green

Been Playing since I was 5-6(almost 30 years). Work Life and kids are to getting to the age where I can start playing more and dedicating more time to improving vs just playing. No official GHIN but local Muni Men's League HDCP on 9 holes is 4 (I think it translates to 9-10 GHIN) Typically shooting 38-42. Being a 9 Hole track I rarely get 18 in.

I love the constant challenge, the felling that you can always improve and that it is me vs the course and no one else.

Randomly stumbled on it, looking to learn more about various tech, tools and equipment. The idea of having a chance at being a tester transitioned me from a reader to a member. 

Central MN, PMGC 9 Hole Par 35

Best part about MN golf is the weather. Worst part about MN Golf is the weather. Realistic Playing season is only 5 Months (May 1st - Sept 30th) however when the snow clears in Mid-April, High 40s is playable and highs 50s is Short and T-shirt temp. Summer rarely gets to unbearable/unplayable temps.

Electronics/Sales

Character from Dumb and Dumber. (Blind Kid in the beginning) I have been using this name for 15+ years on various other platforms.

In the Bag
Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 9.5* VA Composites RAJIN S 64
3W: Mizuno ST-Z 15* VA Composites RAJIN S 74
3i & 4i Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* & 22* VA Composites RAJIN S 84
5i-PW: King Cobra Forged Tec KBS C-Taper LITE S
50, 54, 58: Cleveland RTX Zipcore
Winn Dry Tac Midsize
Putter: Taylormade Spider X
TP5x

D & 3W Mizuno ST-Z

3i & 4i Mizuno CLK Hybrid

5i-PW Cobra Forged Tec

50, 54, 58 Cleveland RTX Zipcore

Spider X

Been Playing since I was 5-6(almost 30 years). Work Life and kids are to getting to the age where I can start playing more and dedicating more time to improving vs just playing. No official GHIN but local Muni Men's League HDCP on 9 holes is 4 (I think it translates to 9-10 GHIN) Typically shooting 38-42. Being a 9 Hole track I rarely get 18 in.
I love the constant challenge, the felling that you can always improve and that it is me vs the course and no one else.
Randomly stumbled on it, looking to learn more about various tech, tools and equipment. The idea of having a chance at being a tester transitioned me from a reader to a member. 
Central MN, PMGC 9 Hole Par 35
Best part about MN golf is the weather. Worst part about MN Golf is the weather. Realistic Playing season is only 5 Months (May 1st - Sept 30th) however when the snow clears in Mid-April, High 40s is playable and highs 50s is Short and T-shirt temp. Summer rarely gets to unbearable/unplayable temps.
Electronics/Sales
Character from Dumb and Dumber. (Blind Kid in the beginning) I have been using this name for 15+ years on various other platforms.

In the Bag
Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 9.5* VA Composites RAJIN S 64
3W: Mizuno ST-Z 15* VA Composites RAJIN S 74
3i & 4i Hybrid: Mizuno CLK 19* & 22* VA Composites RAJIN S 84
5i-PW: King Cobra Forged Tec KBS C-Taper LITE S
50, 54, 58: Cleveland RTX Zipcore
Winn Dry Tac Midsize
Putter: Taylormade Spider X
TP5x

Welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)