Golfspy_CG2

Cleveland Golf Announces Updated Launcher Lines

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

that didn't take long.  😃

can't wait to see these bad boys in action soon.... did you do a fitting or did you already know the setup you needed?

I hit steel and graphite in both the Launchers and UHX irons.  The graphite Launchers were the clear winner so I pulled the trigger.  After a minor grip tweak on the back nine yesterday I knew I made the right choice.  The weight is much more in line with the rest of my clubs and it seemed like I was hitting all clubs better as the day went on.  If you recall my wife got me the original Launchers in graphite and they were a mess.  These feel much better for some reason and pretty much center of the face contact all day and nothing fat or thin.

• Like 5

What did you think about the UHX irons. How is the forgiveness and feel compare to the irons you were using, were they the previous launcher irons or have you been hitting something else. Which graphite shaft did you get, not sure how many they offer in graphite. Thanks for your feedback on these. I'm thinking  I want to check these out.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tdkrod said:

What did you think about the UHX irons. How is the forgiveness and feel compare to the irons you were using, were they the previous launcher irons or have you been hitting something else. Which graphite shaft did you get, not sure how many they offer in graphite. Thanks for your feedback on these. I'm thinking  I want to check these out.

I really liked the look of the UHX irons.  They certainly felt firmer than the Launchers.  Although I'm sure they are very forgiving they didn't seem to be in the same league as the Launchers.  I am coming from the original Launchers but have played maybe 6 or 7 rounds recently with the Srixon Z585 irons and the Srixons felt much better than the UHX irons but they have Recoil Smacwrap graphite shafts which I'm sure contribute to the soft feeling.   I went with the stock graphite because that is all I could try and they feel amazing to me.  

I think both sets are worth looking at.  The thing with me is the Launchers and the results I've gotten with them bias me in that direction.  Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I really liked the look of the UHX irons.  They certainly felt firmer than the Launchers.  Although I'm sure they are very forgiving they didn't seem to be in the same league as the Launchers.  I am coming from the original Launchers but have played maybe 6 or 7 rounds recently with the Srixon Z585 irons and the Srixons felt much better than the UHX irons but they have Recoil Smacwrap graphite shafts which I'm sure contribute to the soft feeling.   I went with the stock graphite because that is all I could try and they feel amazing to me.  
I think both sets are worth looking at.  The thing with me is the Launchers and the results I've gotten with them bias me in that direction.  Good luck!

I had steel shafts in the launchers we tested and although they were good, I’m thinking I would go graphite if I gamed the new ones.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I had steel shafts in the launchers we tested and although they were good, I’m thinking I would go graphite if I gamed the new ones.

I think it would depend on the custom options. The stock shafts are probably a touch too light for my liking, sight unseen of course, but 60 grams is too light for me. Looking at last year's catalog you could get the Steelfiber i95 right away or the Recoil Smacwrap in 86 grams seems more my speed for graphite. Lot of good lightweight steel offerings too. I'm excited to at least see them in the wild, hopefully as my local stores don't do much outside Cleveland wedges anymore.

• Like 1

I think it would depend on the custom options. The stock shafts are probably a touch too light for my liking, sight unseen of course, but 60 grams is too light for me. Looking at last year's catalog you could get the Steelfiber i95 right away or the Recoil Smacwrap in 86 grams seems more my speed for graphite. Lot of good lightweight steel offerings too. I'm excited to at least see them in the wild, hopefully as my local stores don't do much outside Cleveland wedges anymore.

I thought they’d be too light for me as well but they seem to work. Then again my driver shaft is 43 grams.

Side by side Turbos on the left. Hard to see but smaller top line, darker face with same footprint.

IMG_1017.JPG
IMG_1018.JPG
IMG_1019.JPG
IMG_1020.JPG
IMG_1021.JPG
IMG_1022.JPG

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I thought they’d be too light for me as well but they seem to work. Then again my driver shaft is 43 grams.

see, driver shaft for me is 67, so 80-90 seems right where I'd want an iron. I guess I'll have to get out and test them to see.

• Like 1

In bags too!
IMG_1016.thumb.JPG.97dbfb19202fb81261098adfb8d2c9f9.JPG

That's a really good looking set of clubs@Wedgie Cleveland did a great job upping the looks of the Launcher HB's. I can't really say I was in love with the looks of the past model, but these are sharp.

Have fun playing with them and I can't wait to hear your thoughts after a few rounds.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

Picked up a new Cleveland Halo hybrid last night.  Got the 16 degree 2 hoping at 3 inches shorter than my Cobra f8 3 wood I can maintain the distance but pickup a ton of accuracy.  Won't get to hit it until Friday but will let everyone know how it goes.

• Like 4

So, pre-ordering is live so I went in to look at custom shaft options. It's pretty much the same as the 2019 custom catalog for now, but I am intrigued. I think I'm going to have a lot of decisions to make about the top and bottom end of my bag going forward, and I'd expect Cleveland to play a big ol' part in those decisions.

• Like 2

I guess to flesh out my thought, and not at all to bump this thread, is that it's going to come down the performance of the 4 iron in the Turbo. As it sits also at a good hybrid type gap for me, it'll be interesting to see how it performs both in gapping to the 5 iron with the three degrees of difference vs a 20* hybrid. This is only a consideration because the site offers a 5-PW set for purchase, with the knowledge that I'll also likely get some new wedges (looking at you CBX-2 and/or RTX-4) and reworking the top of my bag with the following potential options

3W, 5W, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3H, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

3W, 5W, 4H, 5-PW Launcher

4W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

And that's if I stay with going to the Launcher HB Turbo's, which I'm really learning toward at this point in time. But it's early in the new season and I'm looking to buy some stuff to really refocus my golfing efforts as this was kinda a lost season for me.

• Like 3

Just now, Berg Ryman said:

I guess to flesh out my thought, and not at all to bump this thread, is that it's going to come down the performance of the 4 iron in the Turbo. As it sits also at a good hybrid type gap for me, it'll be interesting to see how it performs both in gapping to the 5 iron with the three degrees of difference vs a 20* hybrid. This is only a consideration because the site offers a 5-PW set for purchase, with the knowledge that I'll also likely get some new wedges (looking at you CBX-2 and/or RTX-4) and reworking the top of my bag with the following potential options

3W, 5W, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3H, 4-PW Launcher

3W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

3W, 5W, 4H, 5-PW Launcher

4W, 3&4 H, 5-PW Launcher

And that's if I stay with going to the Launcher HB Turbo's, which I'm really learning toward at this point in time. But it's early in the new season and I'm looking to buy some stuff to really refocus my golfing efforts as this was kinda a lost season for me.

I highly recommend the Launcher 4 iron and going with the 4-PW if possible.  I ordered the "D" wedge from the Launcher set when I was selected for testing and never got along with it.  My Launcher 4 iron transitions gap wise right to my D7 3 hybrid which is 19 degrees.  The 4 iron is money and a big reason I went from a 13 handicap to around an 8 with this set.  Straight, accurate and the distance is so consistent.  I started using it off the tee a bunch on shorter par 4's.

I've enjoyed my CBX wedges but I bought my son a Tommy Armour wedge the other day and was chipping with it in the backyard and boy do I miss the feeling of a blade wedge.  Not saying you need Tommy Armour wedges but a blade wedge seems to give you more options around the green than the chunky CBXs do.

18 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

I highly recommend the Launcher 4 iron and going with the 4-PW if possible.  I ordered the "D" wedge from the Launcher set when I was selected for testing and never got along with it.  My Launcher 4 iron transitions gap wise right to my D7 3 hybrid which is 19 degrees.  The 4 iron is money and a big reason I went from a 13 handicap to around an 8 with this set.  Straight, accurate and the distance is so consistent.  I started using it off the tee a bunch on shorter par 4's.

I've enjoyed my CBX wedges but I bought my son a Tommy Armour wedge the other day and was chipping with it in the backyard and boy do I miss the feeling of a blade wedge.  Not saying you need Tommy Armour wedges but a blade wedge seems to give you more options around the green than the chunky CBXs do.

See, it's interesting to get this feedback Wedgie. Admitted I'd like to keep the top end of the bag relatively unruffled. I'd be looking at going in on a CBX 2's in 50 and 54 (bent a degree strong in 50 to get to 49*) and then an RTX-4 in 58 for around the green purposes bent to 59.

Shot a 79 today with the new Launchers. A double and a triple killed my score. Really just 2 bad shots lead to what could have been a 76. The Halo 2 hybrid is really good. I was using the Cobra 3/4 wood and the Halo is the same distance but much more accurate with the shorter shaft. Flies a little lower but hasn’t hurt me yet and is great in the wind.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Wedgie said:

Shot a 79 today with the new Launchers. A double and a triple killed my score. Really just 2 bad shots lead to what could have been a 76. The Halo 2 hybrid is really good. I was using the Cobra 3/4 wood and the Halo is the same distance but much more accurate with the shorter shaft. Flies a little lower but hasn’t hurt me yet and is great in the wind.

Good stuff buddy!   Is the 4i in your new set a cannon like the old one?

• Like 2

Good stuff buddy!   Is the 4i in your new set a cannon like the old one?

Yeah, pretty much the same as the original 4 iron. We will get together and you can hit them. I will win you back!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Wedgie said:

Hot damn. Remind me to pick you on every single hole if we play Wolf again next time we tee it up.

• Like 2

Hot damn. Remind me to pick you on every single hole if we play Wolf again next time we tee it up.

Never pick Stroker!

• Haha 1

Any updates on how it’s going with the launchers, anybody checked out the cobra trails.