lgv44

Loft-jacked distance irons

Our Sponsors

Guy joins forum.
Guy's first thread "jacked lofts"
Guy watches forum members rant and rave liked rabid animals.
Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

Is that our version of click bait?

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Mr. 82 said:

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

Thank you. I'm not averse to getting fit, I just prsonally feel it's sort of a fad that will pass..... if that makes sense, or resonates with anyone else. I know the fitteres on here and the people that have had success with "fitting" will vehemetly disaggree. I just remain unconvinced that My own "feeling" when trying clubs is substantually different that what a fitter tells me..

I my very well be wrong, and I freely admit that. But through my whole life, my gut feeling on things has rearely been wrong.

Edited by silver & black
context
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Rickp said:

I used to know my numbers and tinker, especially putters/wedges but I had a Toolroom at my disposal.
Sometimes I think I liked the tinkering more than playing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

This is why I don't dwell on that stuff (golf related). I tend to be exteremely anal about the "tools" I use to make a living. I really try hard not to do that with the tools I use to have fun/a good time with. I love to PLAY golf. I don't need/want other disractions that prevent me from ENJOYING my time on the course/with the game.

1 hour ago, silver & black said:

Thank you. I'm not averse to getting fit, I just prsonally feel it's sort of a fad that will pass..... if that makes sense, or resonates with anyone else. I know the fitteres on here and the people that have had success with "fitting" will vehemetly disaggree. I just remain unconvinced that My own "feeling" when trying clubs is substantually different that what a fitter tells me..

I my very well be wrong, and I freely admit that. But through my whole life, my gut feeling on things has rearely been wrong.

That’s why it’s important to communicate your feeling and/or thoughts yo the fitter. So many go into a fitting scared to talk and the fitter can only go by what he sees.

The chances of fittings 1) being a fad 2) going away are slim to none. Everyone’s entitled to an informed opinion but don’t knock it til you try it 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, silver & black said:

I tend to go by my gut feeling on setting up my sticks---- But I will admit I have been wrong and have 2 staff bags full of failed experiments to prove it. My one bud I used to race with refers to it as "Over Engineering" Yeah I was bad about doing it racing too. But my theory has always been you never know until you try. 

• Like 6

21 hours ago, Rickp said:

I used to know my numbers and tinker, especially putters/wedges but I had a Toolroom at my disposal.
Sometimes I think I liked the tinkering more than playing.

Yep I love to tinker almost as much as playing and I am always substituting something in the bag from week to week since I play for fun now. The last few weeks I have been messing with an old Adams Boxer Hybrid ( 19*) I found at work. Hit it pretty good until last week. Now I am messing around with a Adams Pro (20*) Hybrid I found on a course with a broken shaft. I have put a TM R flex Hybrid shaft in it and then again there is my 19* Adams 5 wood--- Oh well it is a few days to Saturday 

• Like 2

On 1/27/2020 at 5:23 PM, THEZIPR23 said:

Guy joins forum.

Guy's first thread "jacked lofts"

Guy watches forum members rant and rave liked rabid animals.

Guy leaves forum.

Got eeeemmmm......

LOL, I did read the first page of responses, which basically answered the question.  Then I left town on business.  Just got back and checked the thread again to see it went down the "value of fitting" rabbit hole.   I've had two great fittings and two not so great fittings, so I am ambivalent on fittings.  I love my Aerotech i95, but thinking about moving to i80 or higher flying FC version since age has caught up to me a bit.  FYI, age 61, medium to just under medium ball flight, 7 iron just over 150 yards.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, silver & black said:

I'm going to bet that the vast majority of us on this forum know much more about what we do (or did) for our day jobs than we know about clubfitting.  I'm a big believer in taking advantage of other people's expertise when you're making an investment.  Then again, I sell and manage consulting for a software company, so I suppose I'm a bit biased toward experts.

Others have talked about talking with your fitter, and this is crucial.  In fact, if your fitter doesn't ask you about your game, what you're working on, and what you hope to achieve from the fitting, then they're probably not very good.  You could curve the ball significantly left-to-right.  You might love that ball flight, you might be working on fixing it, or you might hate it but frankly don't have the time to work on it.  A good fitter should make very different decisions based on this information.  They can't know if you don't tell them, but if they don't know to ask, I'd move along.

If you live in a fairly urban area, ask your buddies about where to go.  If you're going to have to travel to get fit, I'd ask around here for recommendations.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I'm going to bet that the vast majority of us on this forum know much more about what we do (or did) for our day jobs than we know about clubfitting.  I'm a big believer in taking advantage of other people's expertise when you're making an investment.  Then again, I sell and manage consulting for a software company, so I suppose I'm a bit biased toward experts.

Others have talked about talking with your fitter, and this is crucial.  In fact, if your fitter doesn't ask you about your game, what you're working on, and what you hope to achieve from the fitting, then they're probably not very good.  You could curve the ball significantly left-to-right.  You might love that ball flight, you might be working on fixing it, or you might hate it but frankly don't have the time to work on it.  A good fitter should make very different decisions based on this information.  They can't know if you don't tell them, but if they don't know to ask, I'd move along.

If you live in a fairly urban area, ask your buddies about where to go.  If you're going to have to travel to get fit, I'd ask around here for recommendations.

Like I said... I'm not against fitting. I just don't have the disposable income... or the desire to drive 100 miles for a hit or miss chance that it will pan out. I play the game because it's fun and I enjoy it. I'm over thinking I will ever be any better at my age. If I thought getting fit would make a significant difference in my game, I would probably/maybe pursue it. I really don't think I would see any significant gains for the expenditure.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2020 at 10:52 PM, silver & black said:

the desire to drive 100 miles for a hit or miss chance that it will pan out

I don't blame you for that.  Technology needs to be able to fill this void.  We have telemedicine.  Why not telefitting?

I'm over thinking I will ever be any better at my age

I honestly hope I never feel that way.  I know it's going to happen at some point, but I hope I can put it off my moving up a tee box or two (or three or four).

I really don't think I would see any significant gains for the expenditure.

If you can fit yourself as well as a quality fitter, then you probably wouldn't get much out of it.  I know I can't.  But I get that a 200+ mile round trip is just not worth it.

• Like 3

On 1/27/2020 at 4:27 PM, silver & black said:

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

Is a club fitting "crazy money"? I've had several done and they;ve always been in the $100-$150 range and, depending on where you go, some/all of that can be applied towards the purchase of new equipment. I'd argue that ball/putter fittings are on the lower end of the "is this necessary" scale, but iron/hybrid/wood/driver fittings are extremely beneficial, especially if you've never been fit before. Things like lie angle have a HUGE impact on your game, and can even have a negative effect on an otherwise decent golf swing. 

• Like 3

Buying a $1000 set of irons without getting fitted is like buying a designer suit without paying to have it tailored. 

Can it be done? Sure. Is it recommended? No. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

... I would say a putter fitting can make a HUGE difference in your game if you are playing the wrong style putter for your stroke. Even the alignment aids can make a difference depending on if you aim your putter head to the line of your putt as perpendicular or parallel. The wrong alignment throws you off before you even start. And then loft can also be very important if you hang back with your hands or keep a forward press through impact. There are plenty of golfers that have a found a putter that works for them by accident, but being fit can be an eye opener and let you know exactly what kind of putter works for you going forward.   

• Like 4

On 1/27/2020 at 7:27 PM, silver & black said:

But the pain and frustration of dropping crazy money on a fitting isn't lost on me here.  This is especially after I got fitted for my PING G irons.  I'm not averse to investing in

good clubs if the fitting shows me something I hadn't seen before, but I just don't have a ton of money sitting around to buy golf clubs with, so I'll pass for now.

Is a club fitting "crazy money"? I've had several done and they;ve always been in the $100-$150 range and, depending on where you go, some/all of that can be applied towards the purchase of new equipment. I'd argue that ball/putter fittings are on the lower end of the "is this necessary" scale, but iron/hybrid/wood/driver fittings are extremely beneficial, especially if you've never been fit before. Things like lie angle have a HUGE impact on your game, and can even have a negative effect on an otherwise decent golf swing. 

I'm not sure how that quote is attributed to me, but I'll answer anyway. Is it crazy money? No. What it is, is "needed" money for more important things.... like paying bills and buying groceries.

I'm just a regular working man with an hourly wage. Between Mortgage, vehicle, groceries, alimony and all the other needs, spending money on getting fit for clubs isn't in the cards for me, even though I would like to do it. 

• not
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, CDaggs24 said:

Most iron fittings fall in that price range. Depending on the place whether that can be applied is not always the case. Some do it to get the sale but like txg you are paying for a service and the fitters time. They aren’t as worried about the sale. 

the ball is the one piece of gear played on ever shot and to say that’s on the low end of the unnecessary is crazy talk. 

every piece of equipment should be fit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Ah Oh. I may have to look into a Get Off My Lawn sign. I just saw the Titleist T400 PW is ... 38*. Then all you have to do is add a 43* W and then a 49* W2 and then a 55* W3 and round out your five wedges with a 60* LW (or W4). I would write more but I think I need time to digest this information and then hopefully post my thoughts before someone introduces a full set of wedges starting with a 20* PW then a 23* W1, 26* W2, 29* W3, 33* W4, 38* W5, 43* W6, 49* W7, 55* W8 and a 60* W9. 😳

Now don't start...  Nifty will be in here in a flash!!

Actually, I've had a 38º P1 wedge for the last 3 years.  My P2 wedge is 44º.   These steel shaft SGI Bridgestone clubs are easy to hit, and I love playing with my buddies when they ask what I hit, and it's 2-3 clubs (by number) less than they hit on that par 3.  

My next wedges are 54º and 60º Callaway PM Grind.  I can play with that 10º gap, but I am auditioning for a gap wedge so I don't have to manufacture a shot.

ICYMI in another thread, I just ordered a 5i for my set, but with a KBS TGI 90 graphite... 22º loft.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I finally got over this “phenomenon”...

If it looks like a Cadillac, handles like a Ferrari, and is jacked up like a Monster Truck...

Sounds good to me.

As our good friend JLukes would say, hand me my Rhino, or Elephant.

Like age, the number on the bottom is just.....

A number.

Yup.....

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I finally got over this “phenomenon”...
If it looks like a Cadillac, handles like a Ferrari, and is jacked up like a Monster Truck...
Sounds good to me.
As our good friend JLukes would say, hand me my Rhino, or Elephant.
Like age, the number on the bottom is just.....

A number.

... I have always felt that way and don't blame Titleist or any OEM for going that route. Although I admit I was happy when I figured out to add one more club for my Amp Forged/Fly Z+/Forged Tours that have a 44* pw instead of my old traditional 48* I had played for many years. So I finally got to where I did not have to say "OK, 155 is a full 8 iron sooooo a full 9 iron with my FT's" and I could just think "OK, 155 is 9 iron". And weakening my P790's by 1* produced very similar distances so no transposing necessary. But dayum a 38* pw and then all the other corresponding much stronger lofts would take an abacus for me to figure out which club to hit LOL. Of course to be fair, I am not the target audience for jacked lofts in T400's or T300's or even T200's so it was just an observation. 

• Like 6