den748

What outside influences impact your round the most?

Our Sponsors

I don't seem to play well after doing yard work.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Well for me, I have 2 kids, 3 and under so i like to bring them golfing with me, but if i end up leaving them with a babysitter, grandma or momma, I feel so guilty about it and I end up passing like garbage.  

• Like 2

I must agree that slow play negatively impacts my round the most.  It doesn't happen often, but waiting extended periods due to a dragging pace in front, and feeling the resulting  pressure from the group behind, affects any rythm I hope to establish.   

• Like 1

I also hate slow play.  I am a pretty quick player, no practice swings just get my yardage and step up and hit the shot.  If people don't let me play through I tend to get upset and dwell on them not having proper golf course etiquette.  Another influence is my wife.  If she tends to text me during a round as asks, "when will you be done or home" I tend to try to speed up because that's my clue to get my butt home.  haha.

• Like 2

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: :callaway-small:  Apex w/Kuro Kage stiff

Irons:  5-PW :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged w/ Modus 120 xstiff

Wedges:   :titelist-small: SM6 56* F grind, 52* M grind

Putter:  :bettinardi-1: Studio Stock #3

If I had to name one thing it would be slow play. Tournaments or anytime.

Honestly, I don't worry about things I can't control anymore. I am however playing in a 2-day private annual invitational this coming weekend. This event is a partnership competition. Because of our hcps (4-5) we'll play in the Presidents flight. But as 65-66 year old guys we have no chance from the tees we'll be playing. Anyway... I'm just looking to have fun and enjoy the course, events, and connecting with guys I see there each year. It's a ton of fun win or lose IMO.

https://www.lajitasgolfresort.com/default.aspx?pg=golf

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

In no particular order...

- Slow play. I'm a fast player, so much so that I need to slow myself down sometimes. I have no problem with deliberate play, just a problem with slow play that is oblivious to others. On most courses in my area there is no reason you cannot get around 18 with a cart in less than 4:30. I've unfortunately been a part of too many five hour rounds.
- Food/drink. I never used to bring either to the course, but I've found that I play better with at least some hydration and food in my stomach before and during a round.
- Playing partners. I'm generally uncomfortable playing with people I don't know (something I'm working on - I don't play with people very often), but I also have had some partners who are really uncomfortable to play with for various reasons (complain about this/that, hit up on other groups, sit and complain about slow play, etc.).

• Like 1

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 9.8 (Last Updated July 25, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT #TEAMSCALVESLIKEPHIL - Check out all of the action over here!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra x Vessel SpeedZone Stand Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to Draw), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING MIM Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X-Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow / :srixon-small: Srixon Z-Star XV Tour Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Posted (edited)

Definitely alcohol. I was a better player 10 years ago than I am now. Age, pain, divorce and not playing near as much as I used to is detrimental to playing well. These days I just have fun take it in stride. I have good rounds and bad rounds, but alcohol is the biggest contributor as to why I don't score well..... and I don't really care...lol.

Edited by silver & black
  • Like 1

Honestly I can play tired. I can play sick. I can play if I had a bad warm up. The killer for me is if I play with someone who just annoys me. We have a large group of guys on the weekends and I try to ride with someone I like and get into a group of guys I like. Some times it doesn't work so I just kind of keep to myself which is opposite of the norm. 

Pace of play just gnaws at me.  But far and away the biggest detriment to my scoring is playing with my wife.  I love her and enjoy a nice day playing with her but between the what am I doing wrongs (and won't take the correction) and wanting to talk about other life issues that just doesn't let me focus I never score well.  And it's not like I can take a separate cart (oh, by the way, I drive too fast) or just stay away and not talk to her.  Anyway I will play every single time she asks because there may be a time when we cannot play together but I know it won't be for a score.  Also - how do you enter those scores for handicapping?  I just consider it practice.

Golfer in Summer, Curler in Winter

TM M5 Tensei Red Stiff

TM RBZ 3 wood

Wilson Fybred - next on the chopping block

Callaway Apex 4 - P

Vokey 52, 56, 60

Odyssey 2 Ball with Black Line

#1 Pace of play. 6 hour rounds, shoot me please.

#2 Rain

#3 Club throwing, loud mouth, talk in your back swing jerks. I try not to let this bother me when I get stuck with one. I know what they are trying to do. So I let my clubs do the talking and shut him up. Still dont like them. 

Driver, Ping G400 11* SR Flex

3 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 17*  R Flex

5 Wood, TaylorMade SLDR 19* R Flex

Hybrid, Cobra Amp 24* R Flex

Irons, Sub 70 699 Pro's S Flex (5 - AW)

Wedges, Cleveland CBX 56* & 60*

Putter, Odyssey Marksman Fang 35"

1. Slow play

2. Dehydration (easily get headaches from this)

3. Hunger makes me grumpy, which worsens Point 1

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

If my wife and I are arguing/fighting it tends to impact my play for some reason.

Biggest detriment is letting my mind run away from me and not playing one shot at a time.  For example, say I start out par, birdie, par, and have otherwise been coasting along without overthinking it.  Inevitably I start doing the math of the scorecard in my head and figuring out what score is attainable or what I'm on pace for, and every time I do that I seem to have a blow-up double or triple.

Really wish I could get out of that mode...even bought "Zen Golf" to read in the hopes there are some nuggets in there to help me stay in the moment and take it a shot at a time.

Am I the only one who struggles with this?  

• Like 1

Currently testing the Honma TR20 460 driver!

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

FW: :tour-edge: CBX 119 3w, 15,  Project X Evenflow Blue 75g Stiff

Hybrid::tour-edge:CBX 119 3H, 18, Project X Evenflow Blue 85g Stiff

Driving Iron: :mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB 3i, UST Mamiya recoil ES 780 F3

Iron: :mizuno-small:JPX 919 Forged 4- GW, Project X 6.0

Wedges::vokey-small:SM7 54 S Grind, 58 M Grind

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: California Monterey 1.5, Superstroke Flatso 1.0 grip

:SuperSpeed:

Weather - I do not mind playing in the rain or wind but not both.

Slow Play - I loose concentration when you are waiting between shots. Ok, waiting on a tee but not the fairway.

Concentration. This is what generally ruins a good round. Usually 12-14 are my boggie holes.

Callaway Epic Flash 9 Degree

Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 wood 15 Degree

Callaway Epic Hybrid 18 Degree

Callaway Steelhead Pro 4-AW Irons

Cleveland 48 and 54 Degree Wedges Steel Shaft

Recoil Graphite Shafts in all Callaway Clubs

Callaway Big Bertha Putter - for when it is wet

La Jolla Putter with Flat Car Grip.

Preferred ball - Currently Costco Kirkland Performance 3 Piece but Seed 001 is preferred.

10 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

If my wife and I are arguing/fighting it tends to impact my play for some reason.

Biggest detriment is letting my mind run away from me and not playing one shot at a time.  For example, say I start out par, birdie, par, and have otherwise been coasting along without overthinking it.  Inevitably I start doing the math of the scorecard in my head and figuring out what score is attainable or what I'm on pace for, and every time I do that I seem to have a blow-up double or triple.

Really wish I could get out of that mode...even bought "Zen Golf" to read in the hopes there are some nuggets in there to help me stay in the moment and take it a shot at a time.

Am I the only one who struggles with this?  

I do it alllllll the time. Today was one of those days but I didn’t blow up as bad just a couple bogeys but normally big numbers when I’m adding things up lol. Arccos and 18 birdies has shelled a lot because I’m not adding up just making sure hole to hole on them the total for that hole is right I’m not looking at the total +-. Don’t have any advice other than to keep trying to get it out of your head and live shot to shot, if you’re using scorecards try out an app might help.

• Like 1

Check out my reviews

:ping-small: G710 Irons Lacassem official review

:taylormade-small: FlexTech is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos::

:titelist-small: TS2 9.5 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke

:taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green 

:adams-small: 2H VST - Super Idea S Matrix Kujoh S-Flex

:taylormade-small: 2019 P790 4-PW - Project X 6.5 LZ 

:titelist-small: 52, 56, 60 SM7 - Nippon Modus 125

:odyssey-small: O-Works 1W

:titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Bushnell Tour V3 Jolt

🇺🇸Thank you to all those that have served/are serving and God Bless America 🇺🇸

I do it alllllll the time. Today was one of those days but I didn’t blow up as bad just a couple bogeys but normally big numbers when I’m adding things up lol. Arccos and 18 birdies has shelled a lot because I’m not adding up just making sure hole to hole on them the total for that hole is right I’m not looking at the total +-. Don’t have any advice other than to keep trying to get it out of your head and live shot to shot, if you’re using scorecards try out an app might help.

Thanks. Yeah, I use the Grint, and you’re right, it has helped some, but I remember my scores without referencing the app well enough to get in my own way...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Driver: :callaway-small:Great Big Bertha Epic, 10.5, Project X HZRDOUS 55g Stiff

Thanks. Yeah, I use the Grint, and you’re right, it has helped some, but I remember my scores without referencing the app well enough to get in my own way...

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy