Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway Epic Max LS Shaft Question

Callaway Epic Max LS Shaft Choice  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which shaft should I get for the Max LS I have the supreme luck of getting to test?

• Mitsubishi MMT
    • HZRDUS Smoke Black
    • Aldila NV Green NXT

As many of you might have seen I was very lucky to be picked for the Callaway Epic forum test, thanks so much again MSG. This has left me with a conundrum, what shaft to pick. The stock is the MMT wood shaft and could easily give that a go, but currently gaming a HZRDUS Smoke Green which is very stiff, which might lend to a HZRDUS Smoke Black choice, or there is the Aldila NV Green NXT. These last two Callaway are classed as Low launch and spin with similar profile it seems, while the MMT is mid launch low spin.

So which one folks, try to get something similar to the current gamer or go a bit different since longer term could always get a Callaway tip on the Smoke Green? Currently no issue with low launch with the Smoke Green and spin seems good as well. I know a good problem to have.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

If the green and black are similar and you're currently hitting it well, I'd say go with the black. I ordered one off Callaway Preowned and I love it. It's not exactly fitted to me, I just wanted to try it and so far I seem to be getting better dispersion than the Project X Even-Flow Green I was gaming. I'm a pretty high spin, high launch player and the black has brought both down.

My advice would be get fitted and see how they perform. Congrats on getting chosen and I'm looking forward to reading about how this driver performs for y'all.

37 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

If the green and black are similar and you're currently hitting it well, I'd say go with the black. I ordered one off Callaway Preowned and I love it. It's not exactly fitted to me, I just wanted to try it and so far I seem to be getting better dispersion than the Project X Even-Flow Green I was gaming. I'm a pretty high spin, high launch player and the black has brought both down.

My advice would be get fitted and see how they perform. Congrats on getting chosen and I'm looking forward to reading about how this driver performs for y'all.

Fitting would be great but not really an option in my area right now unfortunately. Kinda leaning that way but then again as I said different options might be nice too.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

1 hour ago, ejgaudette said:

As many of you might have seen I was very lucky to be picked for the Callaway Epic forum test, thanks so much again MSG. This has left me with a conundrum, what shaft to pick. The stock is the MMT wood shaft and could easily give that a go, but currently gaming a HZRDUS Smoke Green which is very stiff, which might lend to a HZRDUS Smoke Black choice, or there is the Aldila NV Green NXT. These last two Callaway are classed as Low launch and spin with similar profile it seems, while the MMT is mid launch low spin.

So which one folks, try to get something similar to the current gamer or go a bit different since longer term could always get a Callaway tip on the Smoke Green? Currently no issue with low launch with the Smoke Green and spin seems good as well. I know a good problem to have.

Having swing both the smoke green and smoke black the black feels a lot stiffer than the green. Despite PX making the smoke black slightly softer than the original it’s not really that much different. I prefer the green. If you think the green is stiff the black probably isn’t an option. The smoke green is also a counterbalance design.

The other two would be my choices

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I didn’t love the MMT when I demoed it, but I’m def not a hzrdus green user so you might load that one better and get more feel. I think the aldila is more of a soft handle and stiff tip which wouldn’t be a great match, but I’m not positive there. 

hopefully you’ll get a chance to swing them before you need your test order in! 

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

3 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Having swing both the smoke green and smoke black the black feels a lot stiffer than the green. Despite PX making the smoke black slightly softer than the original it’s not really that much different. I prefer the green. If you think the green is stiff the black probably isn’t an option. The smoke green is also a counterbalance design.

The other two would be my choices

Kinda leaning that way though I will say the green is not overly stuff in my feeling despite the Callaway catalog listing the green as very stiff in every section and the black less stiff. 

2 minutes ago, B.Boston said:

I didn’t love the MMT when I demoed it, but I’m def not a hzrdus green user so you might load that one better and get more feel. I think the aldila is more of a soft handle and stiff tip which wouldn’t be a great match, but I’m not positive there. 

hopefully you’ll get a chance to swing them before you need your test order in! 

Wish but probably not enough time.

I voted for HZRDUS Smoke Black, as that’s what I have in my F9, but if you have the chance to pay for non-stock shaft, I personally would go that way…probably with one of the Ventus shafts.

I seem to launch my tee shots higher than I’d like, much more than I’d like…not sure if that’s the shaft or me.

Edited by M. Parsons
  • In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

39 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

Kinda leaning that way though I will say the green is not overly stuff in my feeling despite the Callaway catalog listing the green as very stiff in every section and the black less stiff. 

The profile of the green and black are pretty similar with the green having a stiffer butt section. But with the green being CB and the black not the black will feel/play stiffer thank the green.

If you can find a place to just swing those shafts regardless of head I would recommend it

I hear good things about the im10 shaft from callaway 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The profile of the green and black are pretty similar with the green having a stiffer butt section. But with the green being CB and the black not the black will feel/play stiffer thank the green.

If you can find a place to just swing those shafts regardless of head I would recommend it

I hear good things about the im10 shaft from callaway 

Might just have to make it to a place to test it all out. Might be a place closer enough now that I think about it.

It would help having more information about your game- Handicap, age, etc. 

I have the Smoke Green in my EPIC Max LS and find it a little stiff. I also have an Aldila shaft in my Ping G410 and love it. 

Keith Painter

23 minutes ago, kpainte1 said:

It would help having more information about your game- Handicap, age, etc. 

I have the Smoke Green in my EPIC Max LS and find it a little stiff. I also have an Aldila shaft in my Ping G410 and love it. 

Currently about 10 handicap, and swing speed sits around 110 to 105 on course but growing up playing hockey I have a quicker tempo, you know cause someone is gonna come check me before I get the drive off. The Green does not currently feel overly stiff and the MMT was the recommendation from the online driver fit from True Golf Fit with the Max LS head, hence my interest in the review opportunity. Of course I wouldn't be on a site like this if I didn't then immediately question this choice. Hoping I can squeeze it a test at a kinda local store before specs are needed but not sure.

20 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

Currently about 10 handicap, and swing speed sits around 110 to 105 on course but growing up playing hockey I have a quicker tempo, you know cause someone is gonna come check me before I get the drive off. The Green does not currently feel overly stiff and the MMT was the recommendation from the online driver fit from True Golf Fit with the Max LS head, hence my interest in the review opportunity. Of course I wouldn't be on a site like this if I didn't then immediately question this choice. Hoping I can squeeze it a test at a kinda local store before specs are needed but not sure.

I demo'd the LS on a day I was swinging around 95 mph which is about 5 mph below normal. The fitter put me into the HZRDUS 60X with the 9 deg head after trying the MMT in 70 and 60 because it was lower spin. I have a fairly smooth tempo, so I don't imagine the MMT is a good choice for you unless you need help boosting spin or launch. 

The HZRDUS shaft and EPIC (turned down to 8*) was giving me higher launch the the Atmos Blue stiff 60 in my F9 (at 9*) which is a mid launch mid spin shaft. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

33 minutes ago, BMart519 said:

I demo'd the LS on a day I was swinging around 95 mph which is about 5 mph below normal. The fitter put me into the HZRDUS 60X with the 9 deg head after trying the MMT in 70 and 60 because it was lower spin. I have a fairly smooth tempo, so I don't imagine the MMT is a good choice for you unless you need help boosting spin or launch. 

The HZRDUS shaft and EPIC (turned down to 8*) was giving me higher launch the the Atmos Blue stiff 60 in my F9 (at 9*) which is a mid launch mid spin shaft. 

That's some good info thank you for sharing. Currently not worried about launch or spin. Would have to be the 70X in the black but that's only 2 grams heavier than the MMT 60 X.

3 hours ago, ejgaudette said:

That's some good info thank you for sharing. Currently not worried about launch or spin. Would have to be the 70X in the black but that's only 2 grams heavier than the MMT 60 X.

Just looked at your sig, not sure if you were fit into the Tensei Blue for your driver, but that was the shaft the fitter put me into at Titleist demo day for the TS3 a couple years ago. 

Hope you see similar gains to what I saw! Was averaging 10-20 yards more carry. 

Edited by BMart519

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0