Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Five club challenge..........

My foursome decided (over a few post round beers) to limit our next outing to five clubs each per player.  After laughing and joking about how light our stand bags will be, each of us commented about the five we'd choose.  I decided on ..........

Driver, avg 220 yards

Hybrid 3 160 yards, low runners and in the rough shots as well

Putter

7i , 140 yards and long pitches.

Pitching wedge, 100 yards, and can butterfly the face to mimic a sand wedge to complete "the set". 

Has anyone done this, and if so, what clubs did you use differently from the ones I intend to use, and how were the results?   Thanks. 

I'd go 3W, 6I, 8I, SW, Putter 

• Driver-  Ping G410 Plus 9*
  • Fairway- Tour Edge Exotics EXS 220 3 Wood 16.5*
  • Hybrid- Tour Edge Hot Launch C521 19* & 22* 
  • Irons-PXG 0211 DC, 5-GW
  • Wedges-  Sub70 286 54* & Sub70 JB 58*
  • Putter- PXG Battle Ready Mustang 
  • Ball- Snell MTB-X Maxfli Tour X
  • Grips- Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize
  • Bag- Ping Hoofer USA Edition 
  • Arccos 

I've played in a 3 club + Putter event and went 3W (240+), 7I (150-170), PW (110-135).  If I were able to add one club, I'd remove 7I and go 6I and 8I and then swap 54 degree for my PW. 

I like to base my irons on the par 3's usually so the irons might depend on the course if I'm over-thinking.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero  Project X HZRDUS Smoke

3 Wood: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

3 Hybrid: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M6 UST Mamiya Proforce V2

4 Hybrid : image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg M4 Stock Stiff Shaft

Irons: image.jpeg.693c1038c87ba93f656427286d5ff6c6.jpeg P790 (5I-AW) - 2 deg strong - Nippon Modus3 105 Gram/Stiff 

60 Degree Wedge: :titelist-small: Vokey SM7 - AMT Black/Stiff

54 Degree Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX Zip Core

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne Putter

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1x

Tracked by: :Arccos:

I played in several one or two club (plus putter) challenges years ago, and it's a lot of fun. The old fuds I play with now have ZERO interest...sigh.

5 clubs would be a lot easier, and not nearly as different than 14 clubs than is 1-2 clubs.

• Titleist TSR2 11° HZRDUS Red CB 50 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Titleist TSR2 16.5º HZRDUS Red 60 CB 6.0 & TSR2 21º HZRDUS Black 4G 70 6.0 w Lamkin UTx Midsize
  • Mizuno JPX923 HMP 4-GW, T22 54.12WS, T22 58.04DC w Lamkin ST+2 Hybrid Midsize
  • Evnroll EV5.3
  • Maxfli Tour & ProV1
  • Ping Pioneer - MGI Zip Navigator AT
  • Payntr X 002 LE, Ecco Biom C4, Payntr X 001 F (Mesh)

One of the ways I like having fun is challenging myself during rounds, and a few times have been five club (or around that many) challenges. The more successful bags I've had focused on starting from the pin and moving back. 

1. Always my putter. Enough said.

2. My 58 degree. This club is generally my go to from 75 yards in and I can work it decently around most greens. But most importantly, I have a comfortable bunker club, so I don't have a blowup hole cause I'm in a bunker and have no clue what to do. 

3. My 48 degree wedge. My about 110 yard club, plus it's the club I'm most comfortable with for bump and runs. Now I have a solid range of clubs for around the green, plus I'm fairly comfortable from 110 yards and in. 

4. My 8 iron. My about 145 yard club. Gives me a good gap between my wedges and my longer iron. 

5. My 5 iron. My 190 yard club and the longest club I can comfotably and consistently hit both off the tee and off the deck (working on my 19 degree hybrid and 15 degree wood). And so with this club, I can possibly do green in reg for most par 5s, and at least get close enough on most holes to let my wedges take over.  

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

Played in a 3 club plus putter tournament last year. Lots of fun and it was one of the fastest tournaments of the year in the club. It's amazing how fast people think and play when you take options away from them. Also notable, the scoring average was not much above everyone's handicaps, some guys shot better in this event than they have in weeks.

These were my clubs in the bag:

4 Iron, 7 Iron, 52 degree wedge, Putter. If I was able to add an extra club I would probably go 4 Iron, 7 Iron, PW, 60 degree wedge.

A 4 or 5 club event is a lot of fun and our Men’s Group does it usually once a year.  It is often surprising that the scores are very similar to when people use their full bag set-up.

For me it is always Driver and putter, plus my around the green club which is usually a lob wedge.  These are the clubs you use the most in an average round of golf.

Then I base my remaining club on what I need to hit for the par 3s, based on whatever tee box you are playing from.  In my case that would mean my 5 hybrid.

In a five club event I would probably then put in either an 8 or 9 iron. 

Good luck in your event.

Cobra LTDx LS 9.0 TPT Power Range 18 LO

Cobra LTDx 3W lofted to 16.5 TPT 17 HI

Tour Edge E723 21 degree Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 degree 5 hybrid TPT 17 LO

Corey Paul - 5 & 6 CB with KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Black

Corey Paul 7 - PW Japan Forged Minimalist Blades KBS $-Taper 120 Stiff Chrome

Corey Paul Functional Art 52, 56 & 60 all with BGT ZNE shafts

Odyssey O Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour Shaft, SuperStroke Traxion 3.0 & 75g CounterCore

Bridgestone Tour BRX or MaxFli Tour

Tracked by Arccos, Bushnell V4, Vessel Lux XV 2.0 bag, Bag Boy quad XL cart with Alphard V2 wheels

Not hard for me to choose since it is not uncommon for me to play a short set of hickory clubs just for fun. 

I would choose the following:

16.6 degree wood, putter, 5 iron (27*), 8 iron (39*), 50 degree wedge.

I find using five or six clubs a great way to develop your shotmaking skills and get away from todays one dimensional thinking.

Play everything from the hickory era to modern equipment.