Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

hitting mid hybrids, irons on par 3 teed up

On par 3 tee shots with mid hybrids-iron like say a 5  I think have been teeing it up I guess too high and trying to hit up on it a little like a driver thinking that would help my very weak distance. . Should I have a slightly downward strike or dead even angle of attack or slightly up and what ball position. I am a senior mid-high handicapper. Thanks 

Should I have a slightly downward strike or dead even angle of attack  YES

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

17 hours ago, 9 holes is enough for me said:

On par 3 tee shots with mid hybrids-iron like say a 5  I think have been teeing it up I guess too high and trying to hit up on it a little like a driver thinking that would help my very weak distance. . Should I have a slightly downward strike or dead even angle of attack or slightly up and what ball position. I am a senior mid-high handicapper. Thanks 

I agree with the prior poster but I'll explain my thought process on why.   Tee shots are the one opportunity we have to give ourselves and ideal lie.  I hit hybrids and irons just as I would on the course; same ball position and same AoA.  I tend to get a few more carry yards when hitting off the tee using this approach.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I agree with the prior poster but I'll explain my thought process on why.   Tee shots are the one opportunity we have to give ourselves and ideal lie.  I hit hybrids and irons just as I would on the course; same ball position and same AoA.  I tend to get a few more carry yards when hitting off the tee using this approach.

Same here. Even if you tee it flush with the ground you're still giving yourself an optimum lie and you should be hitting it just like you would if it was in the fairway. Let the loft & design of the club work for you. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

30 minutes ago, 9 holes is enough for me said:

thanks for replies. On the fairway I hit down on it probably a couple degrees so I will try to tee it up = to my front left eye which would be slightly forward and hitting slightly down and then flush and see what works better

I was talking about tee height and not ball position.  Why not play normal ball position as it would be your normal swing?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I agree with others.  Teeing it up will likely be giving you a little extra distance anyway.  I don't change anything.  Same position, same swing, the tee up will be helping you make good contact.  Don't over-think it, and let the club do the work....

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Hybrids should be played the same way on the tee box as from the fairway. They are net designed for be hit up on like a driver. They should be hit with a level to slightly descending blow.

Using a tee on the tee box one can get a preferred lie, teeing up higher than that is going have an opposite effect of what the intention is. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Lots of ways to play golf. I watched a guy hit all his irons off a tee almost 1/4" above the ground and not take a single divot. Some of the short par 3's he would be hitting PW or 9i. Can't remember his exact index but it was between 4-6. 

Adam Young once talked about driver being easier to hit vs other tee clubs since ground contact isn't a concern. One could apply that same logic to any club if you teed it up, regardless of how the club was "designed". If you want to carry the ball farther, teeing it up should help as well as hitting level or up due to dynamic loft especially for slower speed players needing more height.

Roll out and total distance are determined by ground conditions, spin and land angle. Spin should also drop hitting level or up on the ball vs down with the same club. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

A pro that i did a trackman session with 2 years ago told me he tees everything as high as his driver. Works for him. Stated that way when you are on the tee, you have "one swing" vs not. I tried and couldn't do it and to me it didn't make sense since a driver has bulge and roll where irons do not.

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

On 7/6/2022 at 3:45 PM, Vegan_Golfer_PNW said:

A pro that i did a trackman session with 2 years ago told me he tees everything as high as his driver. Works for him. Stated that way when you are on the tee, you have "one swing" vs not. 

That doesn't really make sense.  Driver lofts are what they are because of the way most people swing them and the "average" resulting dynamic loft.  With a driver, you are adding loft because of that flat to upward angle of attack but with an iron the opposite is true, dynamic loft is going to be lower than the static loft because they are designed for you to be hitting down on the ball.  If you teed up all your iron shots as high as a driver and then made a "driver" swing, you would be launching everything sky high and losing a ton of distance.