Ben Hogan Closes its doors

MattF

27 minutes ago, bens197 said:

Why play the Wilson clubs when I can have a Titleist or Callaway for just $50 more.

Also an interesting topic. Brands like Wilson, cobra (because of their acushnet days) and Cleveland all have some association with being cheap. Or for Cleveland mode so known for their wedges.

Brand perception is huge. Another forum always has their “one word” to describe a brand threads. The biases for brands are easy to see in those threads. As an example Titleist has the snobby and good player perception. Callaway has a rep for innovation, tm for marketing. 

This has an impact on what people play. Even today you may go places and people never heard of pxg. Some have never hit one of their clubs in their lives but based purely off their feelings about the owner whether it’s his voice, his attitude or whatever they label the brand in various negative ways.

• Like 3

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Cigarettes have not been able to be shown in TV ads since the Nixon administration.

... Soap Box Warning! What really pi$$es me off is the tobacco industry pays a fortune for actors to smoke in films. Is a teenager going to be more influenced by a TV/Print AD or a cool character smoking in a film? For transparency I have never taken a single puff in my life and when I was 10 my Mom started smoking. I refused to talk to her and after a week she quit but was pretty mad at me. She is in her mid 90's and just yesterday she thanked me again for stopping her before she could get started. 

• Like 6
  • Love 2

Driver:     :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 10.5* ... AD-IZ 6SR
Fairway:  :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 15/18* ... Tensei Raw Blue 65R
Hybrids:    :taylormade-small: SIM2 Hybrid 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Utility:      :taylormade-small: DHy 19* ... Diamana Ltd 65R
Irons:        :cobra-small: 4-9 MIM Tour ... Steelfiber i95R
Wedges:   :taylormade-small: MG3 46*/50*/58* LB ... Steelfiber i95R
Putter:      :cleveland-small: Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour '22/TP5x '21

I currently game the Ben Hogan Icon blades (4-PW) and these are terrific irons.  Great feel when struck on the sweetspot.  Great feedback but not as good as the 1998 Apex Blades or previous generations.  I am not looking to replace these anytime soon.  Too bad the Ben Hogan brand isn't more prominent in the golfing world today.

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Ben Hogan Icon blades 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Pretty much the same issue Wilson Staff has.  Even thought it's part of a Mega Sports company, anything releated to Wilson and golf, just doesn't resonate with golfers below the age of say 50 or 60.   

Probably the reason I can't seem to even get a bite on a brand new set of D9 Forged listed for sale.  As good of looking iron as just about any other in the players distance category.  But zero street cred with todays golfers.

Hmm.  Where is your D9 listing?  

Many thanks,

BackNine29

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Now I swear I saw some advertising on the GC this weekend for them. In fact I get a chuckle of the picture they showed of Mr Hogan cleaned up for todays PC world. The original had him with a cigarette in his hand. I told my wife and then showed her the original in one of my books. 

Linksoul The Hawk Midnight Navy | TRENDYGOLFUSA.COM

Had to have this shirt a couple years ago.  You're never as cool as Hogan, lighting one smoke off another...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Where'd it go?"  "Right in the Lumberyard..."

126422322_PXGLogo_2.png.74a339363ba3931cc4fc226a253621f8.png Gen 2  0811 XF 10.5*  Graphite Design Tour AD DI-6x 
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 15*   Fairway UST ProForce V2 7F5 76g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR 19* & 22* Hybrid UST ProForce V2 90g X-Flex
:bridgestone-small:  Tour B JGR HF-2 irons (5i - PW)  KBS Tour 130x

:cleveland-small: CBX Wedges (50, 54, 58)  TT Dynamic Gold 115 Wedge Shaft
MATI  Mamo Putter 33"  Super Stroke Football League 3.0 Slim
MX21TOURYLW_NOCOLOR_FRT.jpg.79e37b9c329b3d3a644cb61d2746a057.jpg

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro Nexus Rangefinder

:PuttOut:FAN!

1711524086_TheGrintlogo_text_1.png.c1eb3f656b10191d1fc9a14a0fd77f95.png PRO Member

13 minutes ago, BackNine29 said:

Hmm.  Where is your D9 listing?  

• Like 1

:titelist-small: TSR2 10.0 HZRDUS Red CB 6.0 

:titelist-small: TSiR2 10.0  Tensei Blue X ink 55g 

:titelist-small: TSR2 16.5 PX Evenflow 5.5 60 g 

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 and 23 degree hybrids Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T200 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM8 48F/54/58 D Grinds 

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

Where in the original post does it note the company is going or is out of business? 
What I did see was an issue - technical difficulties - engineers working on the site and to check back.

Where in that does it state the Ben Hogan Company has closed? 

It would however be a fitting day as this is the anniversary of Mr. Hogans death. 

• Sad 1
  • Hmmm 2

I was so proud of my Hogan Directors irons with Equalizer wedge with the black Speed Slot woods mid-80’s after playing with knock offs when I first started to love golf. (Still have the set)

We all know nothing is forever in the golf business so very sorry if they shut down.  

• Like 1

Damn, Love my Fort Worth Blacks and PTx Pros. 

Outperformed my original p770s handily. Made the switch from the p770s to Fort Worths in 2019 and haven't gone back. 

Wanted to get my hands on the Icons also but they don't look as good as the fort Worths to me and the 4iron was chunky vs the Fort Worth 4iron

I still got the first gen equalizer wedges and was gonna try the equalizer II but guess I'll give Edison a try now 

Edited by Jaygord
  • Like 1

Dang sad to see them go. Hit some of their clubs a few times and thought they were quite good. Sad to see another company leave the space as I feel there are few quality brands left that don't come with a huge price tag. I worry what it could mean for other companies that are similar and even ball companies like Snell. 

I remember there being a weird deal with them not sending their wedges to MGS for testing because they didn't like how they were reviewed but try to say it was for a different reason, someone probably knows far more about that then I do though. 

• Like 1

Its a fitting end to a company who has had its peaks and valleys over the years. I find it odd that nobody mention that if today is the day they closed their doors it is exactly the date Mr. Hogan passed away in 1997. Kind of ironic when you think about it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hmmm 1

Driver: EPIC Speed 10.5, Fujikura Blue Ventus 6X

Fairway: Callaway Rougue ST, 15 Fujikura Ventus  7x    Hybrid: G410 Mitsubishi Tensei Orange X stiff

Irons: 4-6 P790s, Project X LZ 6.5     7-GW: 770s, Project X LZ 6.5

Wedges: SM9s -  54.12M    58.12.D   Shaft: KBS-Tour c-taper stiff 

Putter: Odyssey White HOT OG #7s Stroke Lab 36"

Ball: Titleist PROV-1 

I bought wedges from these guys in 2012 when they had a different name. They liquidated the wedges and Then they came back as Hogan with wedges first kept the wedge design and brought out irons and metals. I demoed their irons against Sub70 in 2020. I bought the Sub 70s. 

Sub 70 irons and wedges. Epic Flash sub zero driver and 3 metal. Callaway rescue 18 and 22 degree. 

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

If true, that is truly a shame. I had Edge irons back in the early 2000s and I now have PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges. If they have some massive sale I might buy the icons as well...

I guess this means I will have to switch my DTC allegiance over to Sub 70 (which is also a great company). 

I like the New Level Irons..Hogan was nice too, But would rather the NL VS Sub70...IMO

6 hours ago, vandyland said:

If true, that is truly a shame. I had Edge irons back in the early 2000s and I now have PTxPros and Equalizer II wedges. If they have some massive sale I might buy the icons as well...

I guess this means I will have to switch my DTC allegiance over to Sub 70 (which is also a great company). 

I still have my Hogan Edge irons! Not going to give them up.  I love how they used the E & F for Pitching Wedge (E) & Gap Wedge (f)! Too bad! 

• Like 1

Callaway Maverick Pro - Std Length, 5-PW & A Wedge - Elevate 105 stiff Steel Shafts-

Callaway EPIC 9.0 Subzero - set at 10.0 Draw bias - 6.0 Stiff Flex

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (21 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM5 - 54 (M Grind) wedge flex; SM5 60 (S grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron - Select Newport 2

Ball: Titleist ProV1x

Handicap 0.6

Sad to hear this. Seemed like a valiant effort to save the brand after a bit too much grandiosity with the reboot. I have several sets and the Edge is a particular favorite.

G 410 Plus

Original One

G Hybrid 19 & 22

Rogue Pro Black 5-AW

Glide 2.0 56 WS

Hi-Toe 60

Edel EAS 1.0

If they decide to sell off inventory, I would definitely be interested in picking up a few things.

• Like 2

Frye

I've been a Hogan fan for years (new and old). I currently play their wedges and have a barely used set of ICON irons I'd like to move for a very good price.  I'm in Fort Worth and purchased this summer.  DM me for more details.  

• Mav SubZ 9°
  • Mav SubZ 14.5°
  • Mav SubZ 16°
  • Mav 4hy
  • Apex CF19 5- AW
  • Hogan Equalizer 54°
    Cleveland 58°
  • Odyssey StrokeLab 7s
  • TaylorMade TP5x

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to Ben Hogan Closes its doors