Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Reg to stiff, fairways to hybrid and UI

Break80once

Stop tinkering, spend the money on lessons instead!

Its been a wet winter in Australia so results wise I am still to see the real benefit but enough good rounds to know I am on track. Lessons, from driver to wedges all clubs now stiff. Irons previously at +1" now at XXIO standard 2 degrees upright - their 12 X irons with steel shafts are something else. I play irons better when that's all I have. The ZX 3 utility is amazing and while I lose 10-20 yds from a 4wood to a 2 hybrid the results are more consistent! Become a great convert to not listening to the "should do this" and actually figuring it out for your own swing. I'm 55, only been playing since age 42 and 13 has been my lowest handicap. Keen to see if I can take it down assuming time allows. Interested in comments knowing that what works for me may not be the same for anyone else. 

• Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • 2H: Srixon ZX w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • 4H: Srixon ZX w Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 
  • Irons: XXIO X 12 5-PW w N.S. Pro 950GH Neo DST
  • Wedges: Cobra King 52, 56, 60
  • Putter: Ping Anser PLD
  • Ball: Chrome Soft

Glad you’re enjoying the game. I’m not quite sure what you are asking us to comment on here. Did you make the equipment changes because of your teacher or a fitters recommendation?

I think that’s a wise move.  More than likely the bigger benefit for you in that change was the weight rather than the profile. Generally speaking within the same line stiffer will mean heavier and weight tends to be the difference maker one way or the other. 

I hope you continue to improve and enjoy playing golf. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

4 hours ago, Break80once said:

Stop tinkering, spend the money on lessons instead!

Its been a wet winter in Australia so results wise I am still to see the real benefit but enough good rounds to know I am on track. Lessons, from driver to wedges all clubs now stiff. Irons previously at +1" now at XXIO standard 2 degrees upright - their 12 X irons with steel shafts are something else. I play irons better when that's all I have. The ZX 3 utility is amazing and while I lose 10-20 yds from a 4wood to a 2 hybrid the results are more consistent! Become a great convert to not listening to the "should do this" and actually figuring it out for your own swing. I'm 55, only been playing since age 42 and 13 has been my lowest handicap. Keen to see if I can take it down assuming time allows. Interested in comments knowing that what works for me may not be the same for anyone else. 

Especially as we get older this becomes more and more important - including because "that's what other 55 yo's do".  While the turn may not be quite what it used to be we can still develop power and clubhead speed through sequencing / timing (and maybe some good equipment choices).  I was lowish  single figures - in old school numbers - in my late teens (actually at school in Brisbane) but drifted away with uni and then family.  Now I am getting back in to the swing of things I need to keep reminding myself what I can do rather than allow others to remind me what I can't.

Going to take some lessons over the northern winter to improve ball striking at the top of my bag and see if I can start making sub 80 my target again.   Even old dogs have lots of tricks still to learn, we  just spend more time debating the merit of the trick with our teachers! Best of luck for your season ahead!

Brief version, to be updated later

Driver - Srixon Z785 with Miyazaki Mahana  5 Stiff

3 Wood - Ping G425

Hybrid / Driving Iron (they swap, regularly!) -  Ping G425 3H 19 degrees /Ping G410 Crossover 3 iron 20 degrees

Irons (4-PW) - Ping i210

Wedges - TaylorMade MG3  - 50, 54, 58

Putter  - Scotty Cameron Phantom X7 or Newport 2 Studio Select (with custom R/W/B infill) when I am feeling retro and can steal it back from my son

Shoes  - Nike Jordan 1G (only listed because my boy says it will make me look cooler)

Sub 80 is the only target I have, hit 80 itself a few times but never under. Golf is 13,000+ steps a couple of times per week, my exercise! I posted because I went through the mechanisations of hybrids, regular shafts because "that's what you do". A junior pro I knew grabbed me and changed my wedges with a chipping tip that was great. I then went to our club pro and we looked at the swing with different clubs. We didn't fit on measurement, we used just results on a range. I'm 6' 4" tall, my miss was left, much less so now and weight of the club may well be attributable. Shorter clubs no doubt add more control, or less can go wrong!

A good drive for me is around 240 yds, the hybrid goes around 210 yards and its gapped down from there. Reason for posting...the answers to equipment questions are likely not on these pages, on videos or at the golf shop. Take the time, find a good pro and figure out what works best to minimise the frustration of a hard game. For now this set up works fine and I'm committing to it for the upcoming season. Hopefully it stops raining soon!

• 3 weeks later...

And in an update a few weeks later: I broke 80 today for the first time.

So cool

Off a 15 handicap, 42 stableford points with 10 x bogeys, 7 pars and a birdie

Box ticked!