Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Evnroll Midlock Technique?

DukeStKing

I got a Midlock shaft for my Evnroll ER2v - I added tungsten powder down the shaft to bring the head weight up to 3 dots as is standard on the Midlock heads. I was wondering what things other Midlock users do that may be different than a standard putter. For one, I was wondering where people position their hands on the grip. I have been having success pacing my right hand (I putt cross handed) pretty high up on the grip- I like the feel of placing part of my hand on the white  part. I also play the ball closer to my left foot, a little further forward than I normally play the ball with a standard putter. Lastly, I find that limiting my back swing does not result in a pull which would be my tendency with a standard putter- and it allows me to really control my swing path. 

So I was wondering what others have had success doing? 

Any thoughts? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

I believe @GolfSpy MPR had a midlock and could help answer or share his experience. 

I'll follow this with interest as this is something that very much interests me. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I'll add to this on another point. I had a Nike counter balance putter. May still actually have it, but in Canada. It was super long handle and i tried that method being a mid lock, but was never comfortable with the positioning. It felt too mechanical for me and while fine on shorter putts, longer putts felt like a lot of work and very awkward.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Grabbed a quick video here at the church office with my MidLock and another putter:

For me, my setup and stroke are very similar with both putters. I putt with my left hand one knuckle below my right. Ball position is quite forward with both. So for me, when I got the MidLock, it was a pretty seamless adjustment.

Still not sure if the MidLock will end up replacing my Edel as my main putter, but it's useful for me as a training aid regardless, because it's the stroke I want to use with any putter I'm using.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Grabbed a quick video here at the church office with my MidLock and another putter:

For me, my setup and stroke are very similar with both putters. I putt with my left hand one knuckle below my right. Ball position is quite forward with both. So for me, when I got the MidLock, it was a pretty seamless adjustment.

Still not sure if the MidLock will end up replacing my Edel as my main putter, but it's useful for me as a training aid regardless, because it's the stroke I want to use with any putter I'm using.

That Midlock stroke was pretty smooth MPR.  I am envious!

• Titleist TSR3 9* (A2 setting) Driver - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Titleist TSR2+ 3 Wood - Graphite Design Tour AD UB-5 R1
  • Srixon ZX 5W
  • Callaway Paradym 4-PW
  • Titleist Vokey SM9 50-08, 54-10 & 58-08
  • Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5
  • 2023 Titleist ProV1

I have a ER5v Midlock Hatchback Mallet on order so I will throw in my 2 cents once I have some bonding time with it. 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

OMG this could be the Mother Lode!  😵 I will be doing a full review of the ER5v Midlock Hatchback Mallet over in Unofficial Reviews in the not too distant future.  After a little romp around the practice putting green yesterday, my heart fluttered a little bit.  Will this feeling stay or flutter away.  We'll see ...........

Cleveland

I was very happy with my putting using my Midlock today after making a small adjustment to my set-up. I stood further away from the ball so that my left elbow was further away from my torso (I used to put with my elbows much closer to my torso- almost touching). The new set-up really frees up my swing and felt better with the forward press. 

11 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

I was very happy with my putting using my Midlock today after making a small adjustment to my set-up. I stood further away from the ball so that my left elbow was further away from my torso (I used to put with my elbows much closer to my torso- almost touching). The new set-up really frees up my swing and felt better with the forward press. 

What model midlock are you gaming?

Cleveland

38 minutes ago, ole gray said:

What model midlock are you gaming?

I actually bought a Midlock shaft for my ER2v 34 inch- I added 15 grams of tungsten powder to the Midlock shaft to bring it up to the 3 dot weight- I didn’t want a 3 dot head for when I play the regular shaft. It’s like two putters in one. Plus, I’m really shallow and love the look of the black head. 😜

28 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I actually bought a Midlock shaft for my ER2v 34 inch- I added 15 grams of tungsten powder to the Midlock shaft to bring it up to the 3 dot weight- I didn’t want a 3 dot head for when I play the regular shaft. It’s like two putters in one. Plus, I’m really shallow and love the look of the black head. 😜

Well done 👍

Cleveland

A few years back, about 8, I gamed a 39” Cleveland, trying the armlock……..only lasted for about 3 months.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I spent the first 4-5 months of this season experimenting with arm/mid lock putters.  I tried around a dozen different putters with various specs and using different techniques.  I finally settled on a Cleveland Huntington Beach #8 that I extended to 41", bent slightly upright, increased the loft, and added tungsten weight down the shaft. The technique that works best for me is with the ball in the middle of my stance which creates a lot of forward press, and using the claw grip with my right hand...similar to Will Zalatoris.  This made an immediate improvement to my putting both direction and distance control.  I now walk up to putts expecting to make every one.

Driver: Cobra:cobra-small: LTDx LS 10.5*   Hzrdus Red 60 6.5

3 Wood: :callaway-small: Mini 1.5   Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 6.5

7 Wood: PXG 0211   Matrix Ozik Black Tie 80x

Irons 4-U: :ping-small: I E1  PX 6.5  Maroon Dot

Wedges: :ping-small: Gorge 54* and Tour-S 58*

Putter: :cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft 8  43" Armlock

I use a Evnroll Midlock grip on my rife belly putter cut down to 38” and it works really well. They make two lengths in the grip. Has more offset than the super stroke wrist lock. So don’t need as much forward press. Really good!!!

GLFWLKR

I putt cross handed but a regular length putter.  I use face balanced mallets, especially a 2016 era Cameron Futura X with the rear criss-cross wings and 15 gram weights in each wing.  I place my left hand partly on the grip but the index finger is on the shaft going straight down.  It took a while for me to figure out what works regards where to put the left hand.  The finger on the shaft provides me more sense of direction, not twisting, keeping it straight.  I look at the target on putts longer than about 7 feet.  On the short ones, my mind is locked into making contact straight, not on any arc. I focus on a pretty slow motion and total concentration all the way thru on the short ones.  On the long ones, my main focus is speed to accomplish the range and whatever break/curve I want.  Sometimes I follow thru by continuing the swing slowly all the way up to shoulder height. Sounds  looks funny, but it works for me, to be smooth.  Good luck.  I live near Evnroll, in San Diego coast, but for now I stick with the Cameron.  I might make an appointment to go to Evnroll when I have extra $$$ but I love my Futura.  It took a lot of practice on the short ones to keep it straight though.  

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I got a Midlock putter early this year and it took me quite a while to get used to it for a long putts but I finally got the hang of it. My grip is similar to the ops that I grip low on the grip with my left hand and just at the white with the right hand. I don't know if I just suck but I do have a hard time hitting The Sweet spot with the putter. I get a little out of sorts with the putter but when I'm on, the putter is awesome. I usually take extra time to make sure that I'm not coming over the top with it which is something I have a propensity of doing. I find that if I slow my back swing down so that I'm not coming forward as I'm going back it keeps me from coming over the top, which is pretty much my problem with any of my golf clubs. On the evnroll website they recommend that you just putt your normal putting stance, and position then let the grip take care of the forward press so that's what I did this last time and it seemed to help out quite a bit by letting the club do the work instead of me trying to add forward press. Me adding the forward press really left me with fairly poor rolls. I tried putting more vertically like Bryson does and that does work well but unfortunately I'm very inconsistent on my setup at times and don't do everything I need to do to set it up.

Edited by Muckinfiddle
grammar

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

I just putt with it exactly as Evnroll recommends, and I've NEVER been more accurate with a putter.  Not even close.  Had it for half a season and I just love it.  Use the grip the way it was designed: right hand low (for righties), pistol firmly press against your forearm.  Trying to futz around making a crosshand/saw/crab/other alternative grip work for something that was deliberately engineered for the mechanics of a conventional grip defeats the purpose of the engineering. 

Use it as designed, get the results it was designed to give.

Driver: Srixon Tour Van Z785 - 8.5*

4-PW - Mizuno JPX 921 Forged

52, 56, 60 - Vokey SM6

Putter - Scotty Cameron California Monterey

Ball - Titleist ProV1x - Left Dash

4 hours ago, TheMidnightHandyman said:

I just putt with it exactly as Evnroll recommends, and I've NEVER been more accurate with a putter.  Not even close.  Had it for half a season and I just love it.  Use the grip the way it was designed: right hand low (for righties), pistol firmly press against your forearm.  Trying to futz around making a crosshand/saw/crab/other alternative grip work for something that was deliberately engineered for the mechanics of a conventional grip defeats the purpose of the engineering. 

Use it as designed, get the results it was designed to give.

I agree 100% and use the stock mechanics that Evnroll suggests.  So far I am loving the heck out of my new flat stick! 😍

Cleveland

1 hour ago, ole gray said:

I agree 100% and use the stock mechanics that Evnroll suggests.  So far I am loving the heck out of my new flat stick! 😍

Seems to be working well for me and I putt cross handed. Jordan Spieth has quite the forward press with a left hand low grip. I think the Midlock isn’t exactly engineered for a conventional grip alone. (I say this because I just can’t hold a putter anymore with a conventional grip- I’ve been putting left hand low for so long). 

13 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

Seems to be working well for me and I putt cross handed. Jordan Spieth has quite the forward press with a left hand low grip. I think the Midlock isn’t exactly engineered for a conventional grip alone. (I say this because I just can’t hold a putter anymore with a conventional grip- I’ve been putting left hand low for so long). 

I am in the same boat.

15 hours ago, ole gray said:

I will probably try using the conventional method over the winter and see if it works better and can get used to it.

Hate yourself, not the game...

In my Vessel bag:

:cobra-small: King SpeedZone          :taylormade-small: MG 3 Satin RAW black 60°

:srixon-small: ZX 3 wood                          :vokey-small: SW & GW Black

:titleist-small:  3-PW                        :EVNROLL: EV2 Mid-Lock              :titleist-small: Prov1x-

29 putts with the Midlock today using left hand low- that’s my second best putting round. It could have been better as I burned the edge on 2 putts from over 15 feet and one from over 30 feet. 

17 hours ago, DukeStKing said:

29 putts with the Midlock today using left hand low- that’s my second best putting round. It could have been better as I burned the edge on 2 putts from over 15 feet and one from over 30 feet. 

Loving me some Midlock!   Good job!!💣

Cleveland