Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

L.A.B. Putters - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow the testers main posts in the links below!

@RoverRick TESTING POST

@McGolf TESTING POST

@pozzit TESTING POST

@Splatt TESTING POST

@Syks7 TESTING POST

@TSauer TESTING POST

Favorite Review?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which tester had your favorite overall review?

3 hours ago, pozzit said:

May be a bit MIA on some course updates the next few weeks. Got to get a good indoor setup going since we just had our 2nd girl. IMG-20230611-WA0028.jpg.e59e5e9a35b7467b689cf8fbbff9f046.jpg

Unfortunately the LAB was in the wrong car so I couldn't hit putts down the hospital hallway. 

Congratulations! Holding babies is good for one-armed putting drills.... just sayin'! Lol

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

May be a bit MIA on some course updates the next few weeks. Got to get a good indoor setup going since we just had our 2nd girl. IMG-20230611-WA0028.jpg.e59e5e9a35b7467b689cf8fbbff9f046.jpg

Unfortunately the LAB was in the wrong car so I couldn't hit putts down the hospital hallway. 

Huge congrats! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, pozzit said:

Congrats!!! All you need is a comparison photo of you holding the LAB so we can see which one is really your baby 😉 

Thrilled for you and your family!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Week 4+ of testing

This particular test may have run its course.  I think muscle memory, repetition, and general practice might be starting to skew results.  I missed 3 out of 156 from 5'.   I'm going to run this one another week and see if the results are similar then decide.  I'm also going to start some of the other tests I was thinking about.

Bettinardi Innovai 6.0 CTR

42 Putts, 41 Makes, 97.62% Make I'm remembering why I love the Innovai.  When I'm on with it I barely miss.  The softness off the face is fantastic for touch putts, but not so great for lags -- historically my weakness when I'm off.

YES Callie

42 Putts, 42 Makes, 100% Make.  Callie's moment in the sun to win the week.  In reality I missed exactly the same amount as I did with the other two, it just happened to be during the warmup 10.

L.A.B.  Link1

42 Putts, 41 Makes, 97.62% Make.   Still completely reliable.  Got caught thinking about my stroke on the third from the last putt and pulled one.

Did a test run of of linear dispersion from 15' with the LAB.  It's going to be hard to recreate this so for consistency it's likely that it might be one or two separate tests where I set up the rubber hole (so there won't be any holed putts) then do 3 sets of 20 putts where I go putter A,B,C - B,C,A, -C,A,B..  That should take some randomness out of the test and if I do it twice it should give a good average.  Here's what it will likely look like.

dISPERSION.jpg.c43586bb93ecdf461ca5bb2855667aa7.jpg

I'm going to plot it in excel so I get mean, median, mode as well as a weighted average of where the highest percentage cluster is.  

Is it weird that I enjoy this  so much?  😆

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

43 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

Week 4+ of testing

This particular test may have run its course.  I think muscle memory, repetition, and general practice might be starting to skew results.  I missed 3 out of 156 from 5'.   I'm going to run this one another week and see if the results are similar then decide.  I'm also going to start some of the other tests I was thinking about.

Bettinardi Innovai 6.0 CTR

42 Putts, 41 Makes, 97.62% Make I'm remembering why I love the Innovai.  When I'm on with it I barely miss.  The softness off the face is fantastic for touch putts, but not so great for lags -- historically my weakness when I'm off.

YES Callie

42 Putts, 42 Makes, 100% Make.  Callie's moment in the sun to win the week.  In reality I missed exactly the same amount as I did with the other two, it just happened to be during the warmup 10.

L.A.B.  Link1

42 Putts, 41 Makes, 97.62% Make.   Still completely reliable.  Got caught thinking about my stroke on the third from the last putt and pulled one.

Did a test run of of linear dispersion from 15' with the LAB.  It's going to be hard to recreate this so for consistency it's likely that it might be one or two separate tests where I set up the rubber hole (so there won't be any holed putts) then do 3 sets of 20 putts where I go putter A,B,C - B,C,A, -C,A,B..  That should take some randomness out of the test and if I do it twice it should give a good average.  Here's what it will likely look like.

dISPERSION.jpg.c43586bb93ecdf461ca5bb2855667aa7.jpg

I'm going to plot it in excel so I get mean, median, mode as well as a weighted average of where the highest percentage cluster is.  

Is it weird that I enjoy this  so much?  😆

Not weird at all.  I think all of us following along love the different tests you guys are running on these.  Some of us may have even been so jealous that we submitted a remote fitting video to LAB today.  Haven't ordered anything yet, but it's getting harder and harder to say no.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 10.5°, Kai'li Red X
Fairway Wood:  :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 16.5°, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 75 X
3 Hybrid: :cobra-small:F9, LA Golf Tour AXS Red 85 X
4 Iron: Ping G410 Crossover
5-PW: :mizuno-small: JPX 919 Forged, KBS Tour Stiff
Wedges: :vokey-small: Jet Black 50°08F, 54°12D, 58°08M, True Temper Dynamic Gold Black S200
Putter:  :odyssey-small: StrokeLab White Hot OG #7, Evnroll Tourtac grip

Had a chance to break down some numbers on a few rounds.

My average putts per round this season was 32. Of course some better some worse, but having played 30 plus rounds 32 is where I averaged out.

I consider myself i very goof putter, even tho recent form was very much lacking.

My first round with LAB I had 27 putts. Now I shot about my average score, but had a lot of missed greens so it allowed my chipping to get me closer and convert to one putts. 

I also had a single 3 putt on the first hole.

The following round I shot an 84, little over my average, but close enough. My approach game was much better and I had 30 putts.  Including 2 birdies, a putt from off the green to in and 2 3 putts.

I have a lot of notes but here is where I should male some remarks.

- maybe it's me but I thought I was better at reading greens and LAB going where I lineup all the time makes me feel I am lacking in that skill.

- putts go where you lineup. The return to center rate is awesome. It just works and provides a lot more confidence. 

- struggle will lag putts. Speed and center strikes. Definitely something I need to work on. 

- i know it's not the case, but I feel the ball breaks more with the LAB. Again I know it's not the case, but where prior I had missed high and low roughly 50/50 I have missed low closer to a 90/10 rate. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 6/12/2023 at 6:56 AM, pozzit said:

The best is yet to come.  Fatherhood rocks.  Love your giant smile while holding your precious baby girl.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Ok So Lets Talk

First thank you all for the well wishes on my new baby. She is doing great any everyone is healthy. And I have such an amazing wife I got in a round yesterday. After @pozzim twisted my arm.

So on to the round, 

The Good

It was a beautiful day out golfing and great course. Golfing when I surly didnt expect to golf.

As for actual golf, GIR 10/18 very happy with that, 10 Fairways.. unheard of for me but played a lot of long irons off the tee since there were some really tight or hard dogleg that required it. I also got 2 good Birdies.

The Bad

Chipping, I double chipped once I spanked one, and overshot every solid contact. Didnt help that my opponent was on fire here.

The Ugly

I'm sure you can guess what hasn't been mentioned yet. So lets just get into it 42 putts with included a 4 putt. Ugh the only 1 putts were my 2 birdies form 8 & 10 ft. I could not control speed and missed to many inside of 5 ft. I pulled 2 of them but just could not get read or speed. I burned edges and ran 6ft past. 

I know people who have thrown the putter away after a round like that. Obviously this is not a putter problem, its the moron swinging it. The number on the practice green show its better the confidence I feel is higher but on course its been faltering. 

I have a lot of work to do and things to figure out. I think my biggest thing is making sure I practice putting before a round to adjust to the greens but that only will get me so far. Work needs to be done. 

Also because it wasn't mentioned i ended up scoring an 88. 21 putts per side. And my opponent had 33 putts so clearly the course wasn't impossible.  Its great giving 4 strokes and loosing by 2 scratch.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

Ok So Lets Talk

I could not control speed and missed to many inside of 5 ft. I pulled 2 of them but just could not get read or speed. 

This is my only and biggest recurring problem with the Link.   Speed control can be off and on.  The more I use it the the more used to it I get, but I can still go ice cold with it speed control wise.  Case in point was yesterday where I played the front with 14 putts and the back with 20.  I struggle most with long uphill putts.  It feels like I either leave it well short or blaze it past the hole.  I'm probably going to adjust my linear dispersion test to be uphill, downhill, and flat to see how much is user error -- and to identify exactly how much I need to work on uphill or downhill putts.  

That said, line and roll doesn't seem to be a problem.  I'm always close to the right line.  If I could read putts better that might take some of the speed issues out of play.  😆  I'll say another think for Link.  It sure has been good for my putting mechanics.  Its introduced a lot of muscle memory and I find myself being almost as good line and stroke wise, but not as consistent, with my other putters.

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

8 hours ago, pozzit said:

I could not control speed and missed to many inside of 5 ft. I pulled 2 of them but just could not get read or speed. I burned edges and ran 6ft past. 

I know people who have thrown the putter away after a round like that. Obviously this is not a putter problem, its the moron swinging it. The number on the practice green show its better the confidence I feel is higher but on course its been faltering. 

I have a lot of work to do and things to figure out. I think my biggest thing is making sure I practice putting before a round to adjust to the greens but that only will get me so far. Work needs to be done. 

It's gotten to the point, for me, where if I'm only 20-30 minutes early for my round (I normally try to be at least an hour early to ensure a proper warm-up), the only thing I practice is putting - ESPECIALLY if the course is different from the one I last played (and it usually is).  I find I need at least that long to really dial in the speed of the greens, and to remind myself of what each feels like (I typically start from 10-12', then finish those up, then move further back, then finish THOSE up, etc. so that by the end of 10-15 minutes I've hit everything from 2' to 40').  I've found a HUGE uptick in my putting by doing this. 

I will also say, the transition from one putter to another is among the hardest things i've ever done, and takes WAY longer than switching irons/driver, etc.  The feel of the club, the weight of it, how it comes off, etc.  

It's why this test is 6 weeks, and not 3-4 🙂

Be patient.  When I was testing I was going out to a putting green at least one time a week aside from my playing round, which REALLY helped, as well as my at-home practice (which, even with the Putt-Up, is limited to 18' putts (on a VERY slick green, lol)). 

Really appreciate you even being able to get out what with the new babe - kudos to that awesome wife of yours!

Driver - PXG 0811 XF - Gen 5, 9 degrees (+1 setting), Oban Devotion TR 65 04
3/5 Wood - Cobra LTDx Max (Blue Colorway)
Utility - Caley X01 Driving Iron (3 = 18*)
Irons (5-PW) - Caley 01T
Wedges (48, 52, 56, 60) - Indi Wedges FLX 48 / ATK 52, 56, 60
Putter - L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 - 65*
Ball - Chrome Tour Triple-Track

Man, oh man. The Link was on FIRE today! Played in a 4 man scramble and the most notable putt was a 30-ish footer, sweeping right to left for birdie. Also sank a few from the 8-10’ range. A majority of the time I was cleanup man, putting 3rd or 4th in the lineup, which made getting the line a little easier. For me, I feel it’s near impossible to miss once you have that line.

As others have mentioned, speed was also an issue for me at first but it just takes a little time getting used to. I think I’m just a few more outings away from having it figured out perfectly. If things continue to trend in the direction they have been, the Link will have permanent residency in the bag. 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I’ve made positive contact with LAB Golf and Sam has agreed to talk to me on our live stream Monday.

If you can make time we are starting at 530 eastern pm watch us on YouTube or Facebook McGolf custom clubs.

the last video on the putter is coming out on this week too

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

Getting in on the action here, as I MUST experience this for myself. Apparently expecting it be be about 6 weeks off by the time built and sent down the literal end of the earth. But getting the MEZZ.1 with the Accra shaft. Cannot wait!!

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9º with TPT Nitro Driver 17 Hi

Fairway #1: Titleist TSR2 15º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Fairway #2: Titleist TSR2 21º with TPT Power Fairway 17 Hi

Utility: Titleist T200 Utility Build 3i (20º) with TPT Power Hybrid 16 Hi

Irons: Mizuno Pro 241 (4-PW) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Irons (special occasions): Miura MC-502 (4-PW) with True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 Onyx

Wedges: Vokey SM10 Jet Black (50.08 F, 56.08 M, 60.04 T) with UST Mamiya DART V 120 F4

Putter: L.A.B MEZZ.1 MAX Counterbalance with L.A.B. x TPT Long

Ball: Titleist Pro V1 X or Bridgestone Tour B X

Another awesome outing with the Link today. Just wanted to post a quick update and say I am never getting rid of this thing. It’s a cheat stick. 

10 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Another awesome outing with the Link today. Just wanted to post a quick update and say I am never getting rid of this thing. It’s a cheat stick. 

After playing with a guy who had the Mezz, I’m a lot more interested in them than I was a month ago. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

1 hour ago, Preeway said:

After playing with a guy who had the Mezz, I’m a lot more interested in them than I was a month ago. 

I’ve had quite a few people intrigued by the Link and want to hit it, but it’s a little difficult when it’s built for a 6’6” lefty and they’re all right handed lol. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:07 AM, pozzit said:

Ok So Lets Talk

First thank you all for the well wishes on my new baby. She is doing great any everyone is healthy. And I have such an amazing wife I got in a round yesterday. After @pozzim twisted my arm.

So on to the round, 

The Good

It was a beautiful day out golfing and great course. Golfing when I surly didnt expect to golf.

As for actual golf, GIR 10/18 very happy with that, 10 Fairways.. unheard of for me but played a lot of long irons off the tee since there were some really tight or hard dogleg that required it. I also got 2 good Birdies.

The Bad

Chipping, I double chipped once I spanked one, and overshot every solid contact. Didnt help that my opponent was on fire here.

The Ugly

I'm sure you can guess what hasn't been mentioned yet. So lets just get into it 42 putts with included a 4 putt. Ugh the only 1 putts were my 2 birdies form 8 & 10 ft. I could not control speed and missed to many inside of 5 ft. I pulled 2 of them but just could not get read or speed. I burned edges and ran 6ft past. 

Also because it wasn't mentioned i ended up scoring an 88. 21 putts per side. And my opponent had 33 putts so clearly the course wasn't impossible.  Its great giving 4 strokes and loosing by 2 scratch.

Regarding Tim's @pozzit round on Saturday...42 putts for him definitely was ugly. Since I wasn't testing the club but just playing with someone who was testing it, here are a few observations:

> I like the look and feel of the LAB putter, which of course is important when you are considering a new purchase.

> The putter was fitted to Tim but not to me, so when I hit some putts using the LAB it wasn't necessarily indicative of how a LAB would work for me.

> Tim is not a great putter but he is a pretty good solid putter. And he can get on hot streaks like all of us.

> The greens were tricky, both in dialing in line and speed, but we've played the course before and managed the greens decently. I had trouble getting the speed on longer lag putts the 1st 3 holes, and made a decision to make an in-round adjustment. I putt with a left hand low grip, but for longer lag putts I switched to a standard grip. The result was an immediate improvement with some really really good lag putts that continued the entire round.

if you are testing this club...are you open minded to in-round adjustments or not? (And of course I know that some players never make any adjustments to their putting grip, stance or set-up...)

> If I had witnessed Tim blowing me away with his putting- I would surely have had to consider whether I need to consider buying this putter. But instead, his poor putting performance created a lot of doubt in my mind.

-If I bought this club would I need to commit to a long learning curve? In the middle of my golf season would I be willing to do that, possibly sacrificing good scoring in my weekly league and weekend rounds? Especially if the potential payoff is not guaranteed?

> How much better would my putting need to be to justify the cost of this putter. An analogy here is that I know brand new ProV1's are probably the best available ball I can play and I mostly do play them, but I rarely spend the money to buy them new. I buy used ProV1's, I play a mix of balls, and I manage to find a lot of lost ProV1's on the course. So....I guess for me - to spend $600 for a new putter it would have to offer some fairly quick and significant benefits.

Just some random thoughts...

If you want to see and hear the CEO of LAB golf check it out below. You need to to go into the video about a minute to minute and a half.

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

17 minutes ago, McGolf said:

If you want to see and hear the CEO of LAB golf check it out below. You need to to go into the video about a minute to minute and a half.

I listened to most of the  discussion live;  definitely good content that gives people more insight into the company and putters.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Hey everyone.

Just added some more testing to my post on page one.
I've got some time booked next week with a putting specialist so I'll be back soon with some data.

In the meantime, I've done some at home testing comparison.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

Ive had the Mezz  Max out last weekend. 2 putted everything except the 6th the hole where a  green tilting a bunch to the left caught me lipping one  for a 3. the last hole I was above the hole and playing a left to right break. Aimed it just left of the hole and the damn thing went straight stopping 6" from the cup. Of all the times to read break and it not be there. LOL.

I am center shaft putter so the Mezz MAx does bother me from an aesthetics point of view. To the point it is helping me putter better with my Makefield. 

So far I can get behind the technology and the radical idea of the balancing. I have 2 cons so far, 1) the magnets on the cover are too weak and 2) if you are a golfer that drops the putter into the bag even with the cover on you can except a few dings due to the aluminum construction. 

Pros so far is the thing putts the ball where its aimed. I kinda like the look of the tank from tron on a stick. The feel is very solid.

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

On 5/31/2023 at 8:56 AM, TSauer said:

So, let’s dabble in a little data.

All of my indoor testing was done on a 14’ x 4’ BirdieBall mat. For me, this would remove one crucial factor when it comes to sinking putts… reading them. It would allow me to focus more on the ability to hit my line and test whether or not I can keep the face square through impact. I used a laser level to make sure I was lining up correctly each time. The plan was to roll 100 putts with each putter; Link.1, Evnroll ER2, and the Scotty Cameron Newport 2. The shorter putts were pretty straightforward, as you’ll notice in the table below. Once we got to the eight footers, there was a slight right to left break I had to pay attention to and adjust for. Before I recorded anything with the Link, I made sure to get some practice in with it and become a little more accustomed with the setup and motion of it all. Not only is this my first LAB putter, but it’s my first center shafted putter as well.

laser1.jpg.25f8e8a225afc21ee0dbb2f0d972fc2e.jpg

The practice setup looked like the photo above. I had the tape measure laid out to make sure I was at the proper distance each time, the laser was propped up on the box to assure it would reach each distance, and I hit putts in batches of 20 balls making sure to take plenty of breaks. This entire process was spread out over 2-3 weeks and I made sure I didn’t hit too many batches at once so I didn’t fatigue myself and possibly skew the results. So, without further ado, these are the numbers from that testing.

PuttingData.png.2edec8ba900223587a1aa2205dd35715.png

During my week off, I was also able to make it up to the course each day to work on performing the same test but only on real greens. Those results are still in the works, as it’s a little more intense trying to hit dozens of putts with the sun beating down on you. However, I did manage to get some numbers on putt proximity. I wanted to gather the average proximity to the hole from 30 feet. For this I did batches of 10 balls, but kept the total number of balls hit to 40 for each putter. Again, this was done throughout the course of a week or so. Living in a rather small town means I had the course to myself most of those days, which made this test especially easy.

Proximity.png.7525efb778e05d93df51650639c5d305.png

So far, so good for the Link. As I mentioned earlier, the testing is still a work in progress and there will be more numbers to come in the following weeks!

I realize this was like.... 372 pages ago by now in this thread... but man, if the Link.1 so handedly beat your ER2 my wallet could be hurting if I get to go try one of these.

Seems like you really locked down your distance control too, what would you attribute that to?  Looking forward to catching up on this thread and following along!

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, GolfSpy BOS said:

I realize this was like.... 372 pages ago by now in this thread... but man, if the Link.1 so handedly beat your ER2 my wallet could be hurting if I get to go try one of these.

Seems like you really locked down your distance control too, what would you attribute that to?  Looking forward to catching up on this thread and following along!

I did not have high hopes at first, as I really enjoyed my ER2 and didn't think it could get much better. I think one of the main drawbacks, as many have mentioned, is it takes some time getting used to the LAB putters. If I were to test one at a golf shop and roll some putts with it, I'm almost certain I wouldn't declare it anything special. There is a little (or big) "break-in" period to get accustomed to things, but after that it is absolute money.

I think the distance control just came with lots of use, and understanding it's a little different weighting and feel from the others. I'm sure my proximity numbers with the contending putters would improve slightly if I hit handfuls of 30 footers all day, but would it beat the Link setup? I'm honestly leaning no.

I've gotten a little praise over my putting the past few outings, which is a first for me. I mean sure, I've drained some putts here and there with my Evnroll and Scotty, but my putting has never been as consistent as it is right now.

10/10 would recommend! 👍

1 hour ago, TSauer said:

I did not have high hopes at first, as I really enjoyed my ER2 and didn't think it could get much better. I think one of the main drawbacks, as many have mentioned, is it takes some time getting used to the LAB putters. If I were to test one at a golf shop and roll some putts with it, I'm almost certain I wouldn't declare it anything special. There is a little (or big) "break-in" period to get accustomed to things, but after that it is absolute money.

I think the distance control just came with lots of use, and understanding it's a little different weighting and feel from the others. I'm sure my proximity numbers with the contending putters would improve slightly if I hit handfuls of 30 footers all day, but would it beat the Link setup? I'm honestly leaning no.

I've gotten a little praise over my putting the past few outings, which is a first for me. I mean sure, I've drained some putts here and there with my Evnroll and Scotty, but my putting has never been as consistent as it is right now.

10/10 would recommend! 👍

Yeah, one if the only things I don't like about my DF is how soft it feels off the face, especially compared to my ER5. The courses I play most don't have very quick greens and it feels like I struggle getting the ball to the cup more with the LAB than my Evnroll

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

below is a capto comparison between my gamer a center shaft putter and the Mezz MAx.

You may have to enlarge the picture to get all the data.

Consistency was equal but when you get into the individual parameters the Mezz was helping me quite a bit.

It is also helping me be a better putter with the gamer too

putter comparison-5-31 19_14.png

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

In a bit of soft Science I went with Scottie Sheffler's suggestion from before the US Open and put the other two putters in the bag for a practice round to see if that would scare the link into performing better today.    😆  It seems to have worked, because while my intention was to practice with all three, the Link came out of the gates hot today inside 10'.  Outside that, my lag issues continue.  Everything was on line but well short.  First putt was from 70' uphill to a back pin on a wet green at 37 degrees.  It was to put it lightly a wee bit slow.  I got to 12' with my lag then promptly drained the par putt.  Similar story on the second hole.  Not a ton of one putts, but zero three putts.  We're in the mountains for the week so the course is easy access.  I'm going to go out this afternoon too since the greens seemed a lot better once it warmed up a bit.

Two observations from this morning.  I putt better on heavily sloped green faster greens.  I think this is because I can confidently predict the line and know what I need to do to put it on that path.  Conversely,  I now know why I get killed putting on my home course.  I'm indecisive because the greens are mostly flat but with infuriating subtle break.  I'm just not confident on them and I often over read the break.  I think I'm going to buy a green book for the course -- it seems silly but maybe it will get me out of my own head there.  There's no reason why I should be knocking down putts here and at Rustic, but not at Woodley.  

Side note:  This little in the mountains is a Par 30 exec.  It officially opens at 8:00 but I have approval to play it as early as I want so long as I hang around and pay at opening.  So as a consequence I played a very leisurely practice 9 this morning with the course completely to myself rolling into the clubhouse at 8:30.   I've now got the distance to hit all of the par 4s in 1 shot (295-305 yards @ 5600 ft altitude) and it was fun to attempt to do so this morning.   No luck, but I think I'm getting my angles down.  Maybe later today.  I know this is not exactly testing related but here's a few pics.

PXL_20230623_133550130.jpg.99f8d1f1e91e0a414104264184e25a8f.jpg

PXL_20230623_133630499.jpg.f5a46e1c8798aabc67afd06bbce4c668.jpg

PXL_20230623_135602155.jpg.5b204492a1c31ca0e1172341f89af7d9.jpg

PXL_20230623_135923126.jpg.f7f8add44e55dff547883378bfa54516.jpg

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

I’m going to put my 2 cents in, actually, my 60 cents in. 

As I stated I was having difficulty aim the DF2.1. I was hitting it exactly where I aimed it and at the correct speed. It’s just that where I aimed and where I wanted to aim were not the same line. Obviously, there was something visually off when I had a mallet putter. This has always been the case, and why I couldn’t putt with the original 2 Ball putter. 

I happened upon a YouTube Video about seeing the line of the putt and aiming. The short version is I now take 6 dimes and a tape measure to the course. I find a straight putt, place a dime every 12”. Then place a ball on the last dime. 

Then I practice my set up. Specially, where my head and eyes are in relationship to the putter head, as well as my grip. After walking into the putt and setting up several times, I remove the dimes, or putt right beside them. 

This “nailing the set up” is removing the stress that I have had since I was told that I was aiming wrong. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

1 hour ago, RoverRick said:

I’m going to put my 2 cents in, actually, my 60 cents in. 

As I stated I was having difficulty aim the DF2.1. I was hitting it exactly where I aimed it and at the correct speed. It’s just that where I aimed and where I wanted to aim were not the same line. Obviously, there was something visually off when I had a mallet putter. This has always been the case, and why I couldn’t putt with the original 2 Ball putter. 

I happened upon a YouTube Video about seeing the line of the putt and aiming. The short version is I now take 6 dimes and a tape measure to the course. I find a straight putt, place a dime every 12”. Then place a ball on the last dime. 

Then I practice my set up. Specially, where my head and eyes are in relationship to the putter head, as well as my grip. After walking into the putt and setting up several times, I remove the dimes, or putt right beside them. 

This “nailing the set up” is removing the stress that I have had since I was told that I was aiming wrong. 

Can you share this video?  

Driver

Woods

Hybrids

Irons 

Wedges

Putter

Ball

10 hours ago, Syks7 said:

Can you share this video?  

I feared someone would ask that. I had to look it up and then try to remember how to share. Luckily, both turned out to be simple tasks. 

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:taylormade-small: SIM2 Rescue 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 4 on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:taylormade-small: P790 Black 5-G on :kbs: TGI 80S 

:mizuno-small: ES21 54° & 58° on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Well it was a record day for McGolf and in a good way for a change.

Shot my lowest score for 18  and broke the 36 putt per round average with 35. 

It could have been one lower however a lip out for a 3 putt and 2 other burnt edges prevented a truly epic round for score and putting.

I kept track of distance of the initial putt and total for second putts if there was one.

overall had 484 ft of putt with the shortest being 4 ft and longest being 57'

My second putt distance was 38.5 ft with the shortest being a being a make or tap in on the edge to the longest of 6 ft.

The feel of putting with the Mezz Max is something akin to being inline with the line.  Now my course has some undulations as we are on the side of a mountain. This time I was putting on a line for a break instead anticipating it. If that makes sense. I would send the ball on a line to follow a break I thought I perceived and it ended close enough to the hole in most cases for an easy 3 footer if there such a thing.

Ive got say I am super glad to be chosen for the review as this has given me a new look at putters as a fitter and golfer.

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis