SuperSpeed Golf - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Finally on to Level 2. With the extra swings and the longer warmup protocol each session takes about twice as long (30 minutes as opposed to 17), but I definitely prefer the new warmup. I was swinging it slow last night, but was feeling good overall and seeing good results from the heel stomp. Goal now is to incorporate step change and heel stomp feels into the final max swing and try and get that number way up there.

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Powered by :Arccos:

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Finished second session of week 10, and still seemingly stuck. But, Im playing well, and definitely Longer than before I started, across the board. Not hurting my neck anymore either. Ill miss my final session until next week though...

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

it is kinda strange how you hit a wall in this game. For me, Its like I can't get past the 106 mph, no matter how hard and crazy I swing. Ive also been keeping track of my 7-iron, and its tapped out as well. While Ive had a few random 90 or 91's, it seems that Im always at 88 anymore. BUT, Now its a seemingly easy swing to pop 150 yards, and before, it was a 140 

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 8/2/2023 at 1:42 PM, Sluggo42 said:

Well, Ive completed week 4 of level 2, and I sure seem stuck. I just can't seem to pick up anything extra, which is starting to make me feel as though I've maxed out my potential. I begin to hurt my neck by swinging harder, so I might be an example of hitting the wall due to age and physical limitations.

Im kind of frustrated as Ive always been able to exceed most physical expectations with hard work, but Ive never been limited by a failing body before. Degenerative Disc Disease is winning this battle to a degree, however, not before I DID make some pretty significant gains. At this point, I have gained at least 6 mph, and at the very least, 10-20 yards with the driver, and dare I say, very similar gains with irons. Obviously more with the longer ones, and an easy 10 with the shorter ones. For example the A wedge used to be my 100 yard club, whereas now, its my 110-112 club. The 6 iron used to be my 160, and now its reaching 180+ here and there.

If you think about it, people spend thousands on new clubs to get gains like this, and they get new clubs with jacked up lofts, billion dollar drivers and fairway woods etc... Im hitting old school lofts (ie 34* 7-iron), and getting unbelievable height and descent angles, along with great spin, resulting in shots that stay where they land on the green.

One more week at level two, then who knows what level 3 will bring... Maybe there will be a new exercise that stimulates something new, and creates more pain free speed... 

We for sure see that at some point you really have to start unovering more of where your power leaks are to jump to the next speed gains. As you pointed out you have some really great gains at this point, 20 yards with both driver and irons is stellar and we are happy to see this! What is interesting is that often that second jump is hard to pinpoint when it will come for players. I have an LPGA player I am working with, she had some good initial gains over the first 10 or so weeks. Then she just kind of sat on the same number for a bit, we couldn't connect to do any serious testing to uncover her power leaks, but she kept at it and kep training. In the last month she has had some great jumps again, is not up to over 100 mph for her driver, started around 93, and so I would also say don't stop training when you finish. Step into that maintenance phase, stay in it for at least 4 weeks and then jump to the next protocol and find those next gains!

On 8/7/2023 at 9:26 AM, MsWalkrOfSky said:

I feel you so much on this. Being injured multiple times has really thrown me off of every really feeling like I could establish a rhythm. Trying to squeeze in training in a consistent way is challenging, especially when you can't hit the course much.

I am back up and at it though! Decided to just pick up right where I left off. Had an injury enforced break from golf from 7/11 to 7/31 😞 My hands were not happy with swing speed training, that's for sure. It hurt to type for most of that time even 😕 I'm going to try to get some mid-size grips to put on the sticks, which is unfortunate, as I play with regular and definitely need the regular size. However, on Friday I once again aggravated my hand injury during training and my right hand is sore again. I was careful with my training today, to try to ensure that it doesn't happen again and put me out of commission, AGAIN.

As far as general distance gains, last week I recorded a drive that went 269, which is my furthest drive that wasn't heavily wind assisted that I've recorded! I've also seen balls fly 200 yards at the range with my 7 iron, which is 40 yards further than I've ever seen them go; haven't actually changed my gapping much on the course yet, as I'm actually in the progress of trying to slow and control my swing; I've been slowing and controlling my swing without actually making much of a difference to the speed compared to two months ago, which I attribute to the swing speed training gains.

On the bright side, I'll provide a review that is rife with breaks, oddness, and injuries. Not the ideal use of the product, but the fact that through all this, I'm getting significant gains is incredible.

Here are my numbers for Week 4 of Level 1, with a gap of 20 days between W4 session 1 and W4 session 2. I saw a small decrease in maxes in the final dominant swings, but it has already climbed back up to match. I've actually seen a spike in my speed for non-dominant hand swings! 

image.png.bd796b273894f3f12d7c110d2e3bcc8f.png

I'll be doing my last session of week 5 this week, and then skipping a session. I'm on vacation currently in North Carolina at Lake James, and we plan on doing some water skiing and tubing, as well as two rounds of golf on Friday and Saturday, so my hands and body will be getting a massive workout regardless this week. I'm looking forward to finally progressing to Level 2!

I love that you keep going after it. Through the ups and downs of life, you have tried your hardest to get in the training when you can and you are seeing those gains. Love it! Keep it up!

Looking to get restarted on Monday after the COVID had me down for a bit and now my Dad has it and we're doing a room renovation. Life gets in the way, but we have to push through! Onward to Monday

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Man, if it's not one thing it's another. After 2 injury-induced breaks in the training and finally starting level 2 on Monday, I was again delayed for a couple of days after a bee sting caused my left hand to swell up for much longer than I've experienced in the past. I was able to do session 2 this morning since my hand has gotten a bit smaller (I can get it into a golf glove now), but once again I'm a bit behind... 🙄

2020 ExPutt Official Review | 2021 Cobra Connect Five Participant | 2023 SuperSpeed Official Review

Did my second session in week 10 yesterday, so one more to go which I'll do either tomorrow or Sunday. My speed is where it is at this point, but still notably higher than when I started the training in May as I have achieved swing speeds of 79/80 hitting balls on the range. As others have noted, my distance has also increased throughout the bag, resulting in the "high-class problem" of flying a couple of greens with short irons when I hit them longer than exepcted. Last Friday night, I had two of my longest drives of the season at 218 and 211. 

Something which I have not previously commented on is soreness after training, particularly when I got to Level 2, which I've experienced in my upper back (between the shoulder blades) and thighs. Frankly, I expected to be sore in my lower back, but that has not been the case to any great extent. 

Edited by BobBC78

Ping G400 Max 10.5* - Kuro Kage HBP Black Gen 2, 44.5" length

Ping G425 SFT 5W (19*) - Alta CB Slate SR flex 

Ping G430 5H (26*), 6H (30*) and 7H (34*)- Alta CB 70 regular flex

Ping G710 8i-W - Recoil 80 F3 shaft 

Cleveland CBX4 50* and 58*, Smart Sole 4C - Recoil 95 F3 shaft

Seemore FGP 

Other: Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

Did a Member Review on Argolf's Pendragon XL Broomstick putter. 

One thing that's been really standing out to me is how important a glove is for my swing. I definitely feel it when I'm doing the opposite hand swing and my top hand isn't wearing a glove. Any testers using two gloves when doing the protocols?

On 8/11/2023 at 6:26 PM, gavinski91 said:

One thing that's been really standing out to me is how important a glove is for my swing. I definitely feel it when I'm doing the opposite hand swing and my top hand isn't wearing a glove. Any testers using two gloves when doing the protocols?

I have only used a left-hand glove (I'm right-handed) during the protocols and agree that it is an odd sensation during the non-dominant swing to have my top hand not wearing a glove. 

Will be doing my final session in Level-2 later today, then on to maintenance.....and working on my review!

Seemore FGP 

Other: Vice Pro, Maxfli Tour or Snell Prime 3.0; Shot Scope X5; True Linkswear; Callaway Org 7 bag; Clicgear 3.5+

I just finished week 5 of Level 2 meaning that I have now completed Level 1 and Level 2 training. Frankly, it is a pretty good feeling to have accomplished the journey that I set out on in May and I have definitely made good progress as shown below:

Level 1, session 1 - Pre Train, Post Train and Final Dominant = 73, 77 and 82, respectively

Level 2, session 15 - Pre Train, Post Train and Final Dominant = 84, 85 and 92, respectively 

Over the last several weeks I have developed more control over my faster swing and am now routinely seeing drives in the 190 to 200 yard range (my Shot Scope P Avg for the last 5-rounds is 194). All of which is a BIG improvement over 2022. 

More to follow when I complete my review!

Seemore FGP 

On 8/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, DrTstandy said:

I love that you keep going after it. Through the ups and downs of life, you have tried your hardest to get in the training when you can and you are seeing those gains. Love it! Keep it up!

Thanks! Definitely trying to make it work when I can. I wrenched my hip in training last night and am limping a bit today 🙃 But I did set new gain records for the sticks that I'll post sometime later tonight hopefully, so it paid off still! 

On 8/11/2023 at 6:26 PM, gavinski91 said:

I've switched now to using two rain gloves at all times when swinging the sticks. I tend to sweat a lot when it's really hot, and I was getting a lot of slipping that was uncomfortable. I switch back to one glove for driver swings. 

Anyone else tearing up the range wherever you stand to do these? lol.

grass1.png.2893e07bc712d1681415db2440ebdefd.png

grass2.png.4ff6ad99ea7bb03d53b14e54f7afeb54.png

MsWalkrOfSky - 22.1 HDC - Best 18 hole Round - 80 at Rea Park Golf Course - Red Tees - 5,219 yards

Driver:       :PXG:             0211 2021 10.5* - Shaft Diamana s60 Limited - Stiff Flex

Woods:     :callaway-logo-1:        XR 3 Wood - Regular Flex

Acer                  XP Stainless 9 Wood 27*       

Irons:        :cleveland-small:         CG7 Black Pearl Irons 4-PW - A Flex

Wedges:   Kirkland          52*

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

Putter:      :ping-small:            PAL 5

Balls:        Pro V1 Yellow  

Other:      ShotScope X5 Watch and Sensors     

On 8/13/2023 at 1:47 PM, BobBC78 said:

I just finished week 5 of Level 2 meaning that I have now completed Level 1 and Level 2 training. Frankly, it is a pretty good feeling to have accomplished the journey that I set out on in May and I have definitely made good progress as shown below:

Level 1, session 1 - Pre Train, Post Train and Final Dominant = 73, 77 and 82, respectively

Level 2, session 15 - Pre Train, Post Train and Final Dominant = 84, 85 and 92, respectively 

Over the last several weeks I have developed more control over my faster swing and am now routinely seeing drives in the 190 to 200 yard range (my Shot Scope P Avg for the last 5-rounds is 194). All of which is a BIG improvement over 2022. 

More to follow when I complete my review!

This is awesome! Great gains and awesome hard work throughout this process. 

13 minutes ago, MsWalkrOfSky said:

If the spot on the ground in the photo is where one of your feet were, then yes I've done the same thing (in my backyard). If it is at the low spot of the training club, then no. During the training process, I hit the grass occasionally, but it tended to be a "one-off" and I never left a divot. 

Seemore FGP 

13 minutes ago, BobBC78 said:

If the spot on the ground in the photo is where one of your feet were, then yes I've done the same thing (in my backyard). If it is at the low spot of the training club, then no. During the training process, I hit the grass occasionally, but it tended to be a "one-off" and I never left a divot.

Definitely where my feet are, I think I've only made contact with the ground once or twice. My backyard where I tend to train it is basically wrecked 😃

MsWalkrOfSky - 22.1 HDC - Best 18 hole Round - 80 at Rea Park Golf Course - Red Tees - 5,219 yards

Driver:       :PXG:             0211 2021 10.5* - Shaft Diamana s60 Limited - Stiff Flex

Woods:     :callaway-logo-1:        XR 3 Wood - Regular Flex

Acer                  XP Stainless 9 Wood 27*       

Irons:        :cleveland-small:         CG7 Black Pearl Irons 4-PW - A Flex

Wedges:   Kirkland          52*

Kirkland          56*

Kirkland          60*

Putter:      :ping-small:            PAL 5

Balls:        Pro V1 Yellow  

Other:      ShotScope X5 Watch and Sensors     

2 hours ago, MsWalkrOfSky said:

Thanks! Definitely trying to make it work when I can. I wrenched my hip in training last night and am limping a bit today 🙃 But I did set new gain records for the sticks that I'll post sometime later tonight hopefully, so it paid off still! 

I've switched now to using two rain gloves at all times when swinging the sticks. I tend to sweat a lot when it's really hot, and I was getting a lot of slipping that was uncomfortable. I switch back to one glove for driver swings. 

grass1.png.2893e07bc712d1681415db2440ebdefd.png

grass2.png.4ff6ad99ea7bb03d53b14e54f7afeb54.png

Now that's how to use the ground!

I both love and hate when I finish a speed training session outside and look down at my grass. 😬

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

I have been on a real grind lately. I have been playing at least 2 times a week while doing the training and fighting through injuries and taking care of family life before I leave for a deployment wiith the military.  Not a good combination. I keep having the reoccuring next strain which usually isnt too bad but I can definitely feel it. I have tried to focus on what might be causing it but all I can come up with is that i'm a beast and swing too hard lol. I already considered golfers true athletes but it goes to show that if you're swining that hard you need to be in great physical form to keep it up. I actually have a mid foot sprain now as well on my left foot but I think it was from playing in soggy conditions and my feet kept slipping out. It feels a lot better and hasn't really hindered my training, at least I don't think it has. 

This level 2 protocol just makes me realize I need better conditioning. I am shot and sweating like I ran a marathon after i'm done. Almost to the point where the last driver swings feel like I have nothing left to put into them. I was seeing significant gains in the level 1 protocol but seemed to level off big time. I am extremely happy to be hitting some of the numbers that I am but I feel as if the added swings just take too much out of me while training. Once I head into the maintinance phase I will be happy to stay where my numbers are and just work on my consistency more. 

I was really hoping I could break that 125 mph number and with only a couple training sessions left we shall see. I also go back to work next monday after having the summer off (i work in a high school) so trying to get my training done before that since it will be long day. Hopefully getting one in today and then the last one in on friday fingers crossed. 

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

It looks like the rain around here is quieting down... first session of week 8 coming this evening, all things hopefully moving in that direction

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

2 hours ago, tommyb1683 said:

I have been on a real grind lately. I have been playing at least 2 times a week while doing the training and fighting through injuries and taking care of family life before I leave for a deployment wiith the military.  Not a good combination. I keep having the reoccuring next strain which usually isnt too bad but I can definitely feel it. I have tried to focus on what might be causing it but all I can come up with is that i'm a beast and swing too hard lol. I already considered golfers true athletes but it goes to show that if you're swining that hard you need to be in great physical form to keep it up. I actually have a mid foot sprain now as well on my left foot but I think it was from playing in soggy conditions and my feet kept slipping out. It feels a lot better and hasn't really hindered my training, at least I don't think it has. 

This level 2 protocol just makes me realize I need better conditioning. I am shot and sweating like I ran a marathon after i'm done. Almost to the point where the last driver swings feel like I have nothing left to put into them. I was seeing significant gains in the level 1 protocol but seemed to level off big time. I am extremely happy to be hitting some of the numbers that I am but I feel as if the added swings just take too much out of me while training. Once I head into the maintinance phase I will be happy to stay where my numbers are and just work on my consistency more. 

I was really hoping I could break that 125 mph number and with only a couple training sessions left we shall see. I also go back to work next monday after having the summer off (i work in a high school) so trying to get my training done before that since it will be long day. Hopefully getting one in today and then the last one in on friday fingers crossed. 

The neck strain from overswinging is real - mine had me out of commission for 2 weeks during Level 1. I started incorporating neck-specific stretches to help prevent it.

I do find that the Level 2 warmup is better for me with regards to neck pain though. I think a good part of that is an increased emphasis on stretching with the neck (the a-frame stretches seem to help) and a better shoulder warmup (I think those shoulder muscles providing support to the neck is a key component).