Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Coming Back From Surgery

Any patients or doctors in the house?

I’m about 6 weeks post achilles surgery on my left foot. I’m likely at least 6 weeks or more away from being able to swing a club. But I’m curious as to what to expect when I get back. How much slower will I swing? How long until I get it back?

I know everyone’s experience is different but am just curious to hear others experience coming back from similar procedures. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 Max Tensei White 60TX
G410 LST 3 Wood Rotating
Cobra F6 Baffler Nippon 950FW
TaylorMade SimMax Rescue 22 Project X IO 6.5
Srixon Z Forged 5-9 Modus3 120TX
Cleveland RTX 4 46&50 Modus3 120TX
TaylorMade HiToe 56&60 Modus Wedge 125
Too Many Putters

Good luck with your recovery!!

#1. Be patient, don't rush things.

2. Do everything the doctors and PTs tell you .. and don't do anything they tell you not to do yet.

3. Refer back to #1 from time to time 

I'd totally shredded the right side Achilles some years ago .. part of the problem was an older skiing accident that had caused at the time unknown damage to the tendon plus the muscles around it...

So it was a long repair surgery which included taking a tendon from my foot and grafting it onto the ends of the Achilles to hold it together.

Hopefully your tear was not as bad, and hopefully you had the surgery done sooner after the injury than I did.

Cannot give your any timeline for your recovery as obviously everyone is different, but again the best advice I can offer is *take it slow*!!

** The better your overall recovery, the better the ultimate outcome.

All that said...

My injury was on my right leg, which is my trail side .. and despite years of trying to rebuild it there is still a noticeable relative weakness on that side .. which does negatively affect my ability to push off of it during the golf swing...

Also, I've not regained the same proprioception .. = fine motor skills and balance .. on that side which is also a negative for the golf swing (and for surfing; don't ski anymore).

Bottom line?

How much you _may_ lose in your golf swing is going to be directly correlated with how good your recovery/rehab is.

Again - be patient, do only what they tell you, literally don't push it...

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grips)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Had hip replaced 2 years ago. It was about 3 months before I felt I could start with chips and putts. at the 6 month mark Dr said go for it. I had to sort of start slowly on full out swings and relearn how to do weight shifts. I had been favoring that left hip for too many years and now there was no pain so I tended to be a bit wild at first. After an additional month I was swinging AOK. Over the past 2 years I've managed to drop my index from over 15 down to 8. And that's with a 5 month no winter play. But the key is don't RUSH your body. When it hurts, listen to it and things will progress.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet