Golf bags- stand or cart, and why?

Rob Person

Now that I'm "Over The Hill" use a Cart Bag!! But; still prefer my Sun Mountain Carry Bag; look at it often as it in a Corner that is Reserved for Billy!! 

HRH move it one time & told her "She could be gone SOON if she touched "My Sun Mountain Golf Bag AGAIN" 

Do not understand the reason for Her Laff!! I was Serious!!

Cart bag for sure. Main reason is that I walk most of my rounds and I use a push cart. The stand bag can be awkward sometimes. Much easier to use the cart bag in my instance.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Was a stand guy. Now a hybrid stand guy. Titleist stand 14 hybrid to pair with my cart. Even though I no longer carry, I still want the stand when I’m at the range. 

Titleist TSi2 driver

Tour Edge CB119 fairway 16.5*
Tour Edge C721 hybrid 22*
Ping G400 hybrid 19*
Takomo 101 4-PW

Vokey SM8 50*
TM MG3 54 and 58*
Sub 70 Sycamore 006

On 3/11/2024 at 8:40 PM, TomBomb51 said:

Reading this thread made me want a new stand bag. Went to the buyers guide portion of MGS to only see the 2023 best of...which released in February of 2023. 2022 also released in February.

Hopefully they are still doing one this year and it's just a few weeks late. Don't typically make purchases without the MGS Buyers Guides.

On 3/27/2024 at 8:43 AM, Kevin McManus said:

My entire golf relationship I was never “really” comfortable about Golf Sunglasses!

I believe it’s from playing Baseball Outfields without Sunglasses and they weren’t a better tool for applications!

today, with Brain Tumors, Sunglasses are a Necessity for healing & environment enjoyment of outdoors!

Enjoy!

K

On 12/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, Rob Person said:

As the topic suggests, do you use a stand bag or a cart bag? do you have a specific reason?

As i start diving deeper into the world of golf, I have noticed more and more of all the different bags I would probably like to own. I only have experience with my inherited 25 year old cart bag, and its got lots of pockets with ample space. Its in great shape too. But it is a tad heavier.

I have never walk played a course, and not sure if I ever will anytime soon.

My most recent obsession is with Ogio bags. There X top club divider is appealing , and the bags seem well constructed. 

Of course, before I get a new bag, I'd need a legitimate reason for buying one. (ie- new clubs!) 

Feel free to post pics of yours (or dont...lol)

Yes, my choice for 10 years has been a DATREK stand is a 14 divider club and a sturdy stand apparatus! They are affordable and nice looking!

great Sturdy plastic top for strength!

plenty of zipper pockets for the “goodies” and off we go!

come fly with me is it’s slogan or should be!

Enjoy

Stand bag for sure! Especially with hybrid options out there. I personally use a vessel player IV Pro and the carry experience was actually so awesome I enjoyed it more than the push cart! Even if you still want to use a push cart or throw it on the back of a normal cart, hybrid bags have a base designed to fit nicely on them still and usually the legs can be secured so they aren’t flopping around with bumps and getting damaged. Having the stand is also great for range sessions where you obviously won’t have a cart or if the range doesn’t provide bag stands and you don’t want to play the balancing act with a cart bag. The main pull for a cart bag to me is if you really want to pack a lot of gear since they usually have more storage space since weight is usually a non issue. 

TLDR: Hybrid stand bags all the way, the best of both worlds 

TM Stealth+, Ping G400 Fw, Ping G410 3 Hyb, Mizuno MP20 MMC 6-Pw, MP20 HMB 5, Honma TW-W 52, 56, 60, Cobra Supersport 35 putter. 

I have a Jones Trouper Stand bag, which for me is plenty of room on the back of a cart, as well as on a push cart. I also have a Jones carry bag, which is perfect for 9 hole rounds, short courses, or times when I don't plan on bringing a whole bunch of stuff with me.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver

Taylormade Stealth 2 4 wood

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 

Taylormade p790 4-PW

Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 60

Taylormade Spider GT

I’ve had both cart and stand bags.  Even though I ride in a cart with my wife most rounds, I prefer a stand bag… she has a Sun Mountain Maverick cart bag.  I take my bag to the range and practice area on days I don’t play, and legs are important to me.  My favorite stand bag has been the Wilson Staff Nexus bag, but it’s about on it’s last legs… so to speak!  It fits on a cart and my SM push cart.  

Last year I bought the MGS Forum Jones Trouper bag and as a carry bag, I love it but it doesn’t fit my push cart or a riding cart very well.  This winter I didn’t want to subject my creme colored Jones bag to mud and goose poop, so I put the Nexus bag back play.  I almost bought the Sun Mountain C-130S stand bag when the Jones bag purchase was made but held off.  I never put much in a bag anyway, so having a bag that big doesn’t appeal to me.

Curiously, I was looking for a new bag to put on my cart and have been waffling between the Callaway Fairway 14 hybrid bag and the OGIO Woode hybrid bag.  Not a huge fan of 14-way tops since I have midsize grips and my putter doesn’t fit well unless there is a dedicated putter well… not many of those on stand bags.  Well… the OGIO bag will be here next week!!  Pictures to follow...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I walk at Petaluma Golf CC. It’s a 9 holer and very hilly, hence the nickname of ‘Goat Hill’. It’ll be 102 in Sept. It’s easier to carry than push a cart. My bag is an ‘Easy Caddy Tour X. It has 4 zippered compartments and 4 separators. 14 clubs fits but it’s snug so I have iron head covers to quiet the irons clanging. It was in the $175-200 dollar range a couple of years ago. Holding up well. When I play flatter courses it fits well on a push cart or electric cart. It’s 3.5 or 4lbs. Don’t remember exactly.

On 12/20/2023 at 9:03 AM, Jeremy26 said:

It doesn't come with a stand, but I grabbed an after market one from eBay and put it on. Works awesome. I get the benefit of a big cart bag, but the versatility of a stand bag.

I'm interested in this! Would you link the after market stand you got? 

Jason Tatum

Loving the pics too!  There is truly a ton of bag options out there.  Deciding on just 1 bag as a replacement will be hard for me!

If a stand bag was as large and pocketed like a cart bag, that would be a go to for me.

Also, with more and more external accessories being used (for me anyway) extra clips or rings would be a necessity too. Towels, brushes, rangefinders, ball bags, distance card, etc etc 

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

Retired from walking a number of years ago.  Now 77 and due  to back and respiratory issues, due the right thing and ride a cart and enjoy golf.  Titleist Cart 14 bag for me.  Have been using them for bout eight years.  Also have a Titleist mid size Tour Bag for special events which I have used longer.  Due to the hot sun in our area, always go with the all black bags.  Play three days a week and they hold up very well.  

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Cart bag all the way. Sun Mountain C-130. The only thing I don't like about it is there is no zipper in the clothes pocket to allow access to the bottom of the bag. Fits both cart and motorized Alphard unit on the Rovic. It is just a bit awkward on the Rovic as the clubs are all wrong with the woods on the bottom. You can rearrange, but still awkward as I have animal headcovers that "cover" the rest of my clubs. I am waiting for a motorized walking cart that has a vertical holder for the club bag! 

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

I would say cart bags are the way to go. I’ve had a Mizuno 5 way stand bag and recently switched to a Titleist 14 way cart bag. I prefer to walk with my Big Max IQ 360 push cart, but normally ride in the cart. When I would use the push cart with my Mizuno the bag would tend to roll to one side or the other because of the foot but with a cart bag it sits solid in both the push cart and the golf cart. Has plenty of pockets that are felt lined, has a cooler pocket for the birdie juice, two bottle holders for the flask and the koozies, and a putter pocket that’s perfect. Only thing I would suggest is getting those tubes that you slide into the holes cause although they say they’re full length dividers they do tend to get stuck when you try to pull them out. All around though, since you don’t plan on walking I would say a nice cart bag that has the strap loops and you’ll be set brotha. 

Hugs and kisses,

T

I find myself gravitating towards smaller and lighter bags. Out of around 50 rounds last year I walked 40ish of them. Have never enjoyed walking until the last two years and love the exercise component it brings to the game. Once I got into walking I began to enjoy and learn the course better. 

All this to say the versatility of a stand bag is a requirement for me. 

Float between 10-12 handicap. Typically walk 9 twice a week and walk 18 once or twice a week. Love this site and the insight it provides. 

Something I've never seen on any bag I've encountered... a bottom zipper! (With a velcro flap closure for waterproofing)

This would be so beneficial to getting general crud or the occasional ball/tool that falls inside the bag.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

I actually just bought a Datrek hybrid bag, which is a stand bag with the unusual 14 way top with full length dividers.  I used strictly cart bags before this.  This one is a game changer.  Way lighter.  Even though I rarely walk, I now have that option.  Getting the bag out of the car and standing it on the pavement while I get everything ready is way easier as well.  My previous bag would not stand up on end and it drove me nuts.  Ogio does make the hybrid bags as well but their top is different but also very nice.  I went back and forth between Ogio and the Datrek and inevitably it just came down to how much I wanted to pay for it.  I will not go back to a cart bag.  

Chris Zofchak

Driver: Cobra Radspeed Xb

3 Wood:  Cobra King SZ

3 Hybrid:  Cobra King SZ

Irons:  Cobra Radspeed

56 Wedge:  Ping

60 Wedge:  Vokey

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Supernova

1 hour ago, tatum said:

I'm interested in this! Would you link the after market stand you got? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/285767328727?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=AGNFQpKkRfa&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

It was a few years ago, so I don't remember if this is the exact seller, but it's the same thing. Theres another piece for the bottom. I messaged the seller and he made sure I had all the pieces. I'm pretty sure this is the same seller. The stand works really good. It's not exactly like a light carry stand, sometimes I have to manually pull the legs out but it's no big deal. Way better than bag falling over!!

54 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Something I've never seen on any bag I've encountered... a bottom zipper! (With a velcro flap closure for waterproofing)

This would be so beneficial to getting general crud or the occasional ball/tool that falls inside the bag.

I had a Callaway Org 14 bag. The zipper to get at the bottom of the bag to clean out crud or dropped stuff was in one of the clothing pockets. So no need for an additional cover over the zipper. I am told this feature is in other bags as well. Just not in the Sun Mountain. Among other things, I used this opening to rehook up one of the stays that had slipped out of place.

Driver: Callaway Epic 9 degree, stiff (set at 10 degrees with the movable weight in the center}

FW: Callaway Epic 3,5, heaven wood w/ regular shaft (driver shaft in 3 wood, 3 wood shaft in 5 wood, 5 wood shaft in heaven wood, all three set at neutral plus 1 degree)

Hybrids: Callaway BB19 4,6,7 (4 set at neutral plus 1 degree and 6 and 7 set at neutral minus 1 degree for gapping purposes)

Irons: Callaway Rogue ST Max 8, 9, PW 

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 50,54,58

Ball: Titleist Pro V1, 1X, Vice Pro Plus or anything I find that day and try out for the fun of it (I haven't bought balls with my own money in at least 10 years)

Had this for a little bit now and I've been able to take it to the range and course. I don't walk. Not sure what course even allows it out here.

Hybrid bags sit right between that big cart bag and lightweight carry bags. I love this thing. Has everything I need and even full length dividers. Right around 6 pounds.

New company by this fella who worked at OGIO for a dozen years. Same guy behind Subtle Patriot bags.

67dc6963533bd53ac754353357acbbf2.jpg0b4f94a5710ac44e3b14ac547bce3edf.jpgacc351a4ef7990cfe1fdac9a9c475b47.jpg

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

Stand bag all the way!  Why not?  Not like you can't easily throw it on the back of a cart or a pull cart.  And at the range, a stand bag is preferable.  I've always been an OGIO guy, but there are some others I have tried.  End up back at OGIO.  Currently using the 2023 Woodē Hybrid Bag. Zero complaints.  And Ogio is great on customer service.  I had a handle break on the bag and they sent me a new one at no cost as long as I sent back the one that broke.  

Taylormade woods and hybrids/Titleist irons and wedges/Scotty putter/Srixon Z-StarXV

1 hour ago, barney_bogey said:

Had this for a little bit now and I've been able to take it to the range and course. I don't walk. Not sure what course even allows it out here.

Hybrid bags sit right between that big cart bag and lightweight carry bags. I love this thing. Has everything I need and even full length dividers. Right around 6 pounds.

New company by this fella who worked at OGIO for a dozen years. Same guy behind Subtle Patriot bags.

67dc6963533bd53ac754353357acbbf2.jpg0b4f94a5710ac44e3b14ac547bce3edf.jpgacc351a4ef7990cfe1fdac9a9c475b47.jpg

I've seen these on IG!  The Kradul bags remind me of Ghost Golf and Vessel bags.  Not too pricy either

I've seen these on IG!  The Kradul bags remind me of Ghost Golf and Vessel bags.  Not too pricy either
I walked up to a gentleman at the range and asked him if I could check out his ghost bag. This is the same material, feels like. The Ghost has a magnetic closure for the range finder pocket and that's the only thing I'm really missing out on. I didn't think that's worth the extra hundred tbh.

Beyond that, folks keep asking about it so that's cool.

B

Odyssey XG #9

Cleveland CG15 wedges 54/58

Takomo 101 irons PW-4

Rescue hybrid 3 

M6 3W & Driver

Bridgestone e12 

I use a Bag Boy cart bag. I've only been golfing for 3 years now and have only ever ridden in a cart. I really like all the pockets and the integrated cooler. Currently looking to get a Bag Boy push cart, but not sure which one to get.

Lefty

Driver- Ping G430 SFT

3 Wood - Callaway Epic Max

3 Hybrid - Callaway Paradym X

7 Wood - Ping G430 SFT

5-PW - Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges - Callaway Mack Daddy CB 50, 54, 60

Putter - Oddyssey Ai-One Milled 7T

Ball - Maxfli Tour-S

8 minutes ago, Harlo_Y said:

I use a Bag Boy cart bag. I've only been golfing for 3 years now and have only ever ridden in a cart. I really like all the pockets and the integrated cooler. Currently looking to get a Bag Boy push cart, but not sure which one to get.

There are a few topics on the carts here.

As it is asking what I prefer Stand or Cart bag, well that is easy.  Our course is walker friendly.  I find it way easier to carry and prefer the Stand Bag.  I have to say that the Stand bag though is not too push cart friendly.  This is the only time that I would like a cart bag.  

When I do use a golf cart, my stand bag does just fine.  When I got my Stand bag, I did look into the ease of using it on a cart.  It took time to select my bag, but I do enjoy the walking I do.

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird