Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

X stiff Driving Iron Shaft Reccomendations

jbsap

Looking for input on Driving Iron shaft recommendations.  Currently gaming an Icrossover 3 iron with a hzrdus rdx red 6.5 in it.  Shaft is a little on the whippy side for me.  Looking for something a little firmer in the mid section.  In my fairway woods/ Driver I tend to prefer a stouter blue board shaft, but don't need something quite as stiff as the hzrdus black (what is currently in my stealth plus 3 hybrid that I will rotate into the bag).  Currently gaming a Hzrdus Blue PVD TX in my driver, and the retail hzrdus blue 6.5 70g in my 3 wood.  

Thoughts on something like a Graphite Design HB? Im a tinkerer, so I'm not opposed to trying something new for a while.

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

There’s no way for anyone to tell what shaft. We could all lost a different shaft and no way to say which one would be best for you.

Our guess is going to be as good as your guess. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

11 hours ago, jbsap said:

Looking for input on Driving Iron shaft recommendations.  Currently gaming an Icrossover 3 iron with a hzrdus rdx red 6.5 in it.  Shaft is a little on the whippy side for me.  Looking for something a little firmer in the mid section.  In my fairway woods/ Driver I tend to prefer a stouter blue board shaft, but don't need something quite as stiff as the hzrdus black (what is currently in my stealth plus 3 hybrid that I will rotate into the bag).  Currently gaming a Hzrdus Blue PVD TX in my driver, and the retail hzrdus blue 6.5 70g in my 3 wood.  

Thoughts on something like a Graphite Design HB? Im a tinkerer, so I'm not opposed to trying something new for a while.

RB did say it is hard for us to give you a definite answer, however doesn't mean we should ignore the question so here is my stab at it!

I use(d) the evenflow black. It is stiff and plays stiff. I think this could be exactly what you are looking for and shouldn't be overly difficult to find for a decent price eithier!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

As mentioned, getting fitted is the best way to find out but one of the stiffest shafts you can find is the Hulk...HZRDUS Green 6.5.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

14 hours ago, jbsap said:

Honestly I have the same thing going on....  I have the same club + shaft combo and like it, but feel that the red shaft is flying high---higher than I would like to see and looking like a 5 wood.  

I have a ProForce shaft from a hybrid that I want to re-adapt to fit the crossover.  I am hopeful that it stiffens things up a bit and brings the ball flight down as well.   The only place I have found an adaptor is at Golf Works and it is pricey.  My local shop doesn't have any tips because the iCrossover is so niche they just don't have demand for it.

As it stands currently, i cranked down the loft to bring down the trajectory and that has helped, but I still have a preference for that stiffer "black type" profile that runs through my other clubs. 

• Driver- image.png.e24a2409101bd1ac07c78edcf8303773.png G430 Max 10K -9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

As mentioned when providing a list or recommendations there are multiple options and no way to say which one would meet the needs from a feel or performance aspect for the OP or anyone in any thread. 

basing a suggestion of what’s preferred in a driver or wood isn’t a best way either. We could use the OPs example of a stout blueboard profile so that would be something like a px rdx blue which is a CB design, or a ventus blue, maybe a tx flex or x flex Diamana blueboard. Then we look at the comments about what shaft is currently used in the crossover and the op thinking about tjhe hzrdus black which is going to be a stiffer profile yet has a torque of 2.4 compared to the red which has a 2.2 rating (more comparable torque rating because it’s the same company and will be measured the same way on same machine)

The problem could be the stiffness profile of the red or it could be the weight. Maybe a heavier hybrid shaft fits better, or maybe same weight but a different stiffness profile.

Here’s a list of possible options.

PX Hzrdus silver hybrid shaft

Ventus blue or black hybrid shaft

motore x hybrid shaft

Tensei 1k black hybrid

Tensei 1k pro hybrid 

Mmt hybrid 

c6 black hybrid 

Recoils es 95hybrid or a 95/110g recoil iron shaft

potentially other graphite or an mmt iron shaft

any of the 3 graphite design hybrid shafts

Graphite design AD utility 

I only picked a handful of shafts I’m familiar with and didn’t go to every shaft companies website to see what’s offered.

the op could have gone thru all websites and each offering and gotten a similar list or maybe even a more exhaustive one. Whether members provide a list or the OP created his own the OP will have to either blind buy and test which gets expensive especially if having to pay someone to instal the new shaft each time, or the OP will have to go somewhere and test the some options.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

As mentioned when providing a list or recommendations there are multiple options and no way to say which one would meet the needs from a feel or performance aspect for the OP or anyone in any thread. 

basing a suggestion of what’s preferred in a driver or wood isn’t a best way either. We could use the OPs example of a stout blueboard profile so that would be something like a px rdx blue which is a CB design, or a ventus blue, maybe a tx flex or x flex Diamana blueboard. Then we look at the comments about what shaft is currently used in the crossover and the op thinking about tjhe hzrdus black which is going to be a stiffer profile yet has a torque of 2.4 compared to the red which has a 2.2 rating (more comparable torque rating because it’s the same company and will be measured the same way on same machine)

The problem could be the stiffness profile of the red or it could be the weight. Maybe a heavier hybrid shaft fits better, or maybe same weight but a different stiffness profile.

Here’s a list of possible options.

PX Hzrdus silver hybrid shaft

motore x hybrid shaft

Tensei 1k black hybrid

Tensei 1k pro hybrid 

Mmt hybrid 

c6 black hybrid 

Recoils es 95hybrid or a 95/110g recoil iron shaft

potentially other graphite or an mmt iron shaft

any of the 3 graphite design hybrid shafts

Graphite design AD utility 

I only picked a handful of shafts I’m familiar with and didn’t go to every shaft companies website to see what’s offered.

the op could have gone thru all websites and each offering and gotten a similar list or maybe even a more exhaustive one. Whether members provide a list or the OP created his own the OP will have to either blind buy and test which gets expensive especially if having to pay someone to instal the new shaft each time, or the OP will have to go somewhere and test the some options.

Nothing wrong with people asking these questions as they may just be looking at a simple place to start or thoughts from other people. Last thing we want is to make people feel they can't ask these questions. 

While we cannot give concrete answers for what product will be their go to, we can give subjective thoughts on where to start or what works for us if we are in that category. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

53 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

This right here. When it comes to the Ventus shafts you can't go wrong. Obviously, with a recent fitting I had I hit v=Ventus better than any other shaft. Not sure about the exacts but they seem to fit me better. If you are looking for something stiff, has mid-bend profile and something you can "Feel" a little more when you load go with the blue, optionally in the 9 or 10 weight class. If you like the more "board" style then obviously go black. Either way, you can't go wrong with either option. 

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

Last year I put a U505 2 iron in my bag.  I tried a couple shafts and really got along well with the Tensei 1K black 85g X.  

What I like...smooth feel but doesn't have a lot of load where you feel an active shaft through the ball.  It's similar to the 1K white in my driver but a touch less feel.

Titleist has a LOT of no-upcharge options for quality shafts if that's where you're looking.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Nothing wrong with people asking these questions as they may just be looking at a simple place to start or thoughts from other people. Last thing we want is to make people feel they can't ask these questions. 

These types of questions are too vague.

while asking for a comparison between two or three shafts is a lot better that is also just a personal preference and no way for anyone to know if their personal experience with those shafts translates to the person asking.

i have two friends with very similar swing speeds and from a swing standpoint similar transitions and tempo. One loves the hzrdus black hybrid in both his driving iron and hybrid. The hates the feel of the shafts even though he plays a whiteboard in driver. 

Just now, RickyBobby_PR said:

These types of questions are too vague.

while asking for a comparison between two or three shafts is a lot better that is also just a personal preference and no way for anyone to know if their personal experience with those shafts translates to the person asking.

i have two friends with very similar swing speeds and from a swing standpoint similar transitions and tempo. One loves the hzrdus black hybrid in both his driving iron and hybrid. The hates the feel of the shafts even though he plays a whiteboard in driver. 

Sure, however not everyone has that luxury or knowledge base and is simply asking for a starting point. Rather than commenting nobody can help, offering a suggested start point or even thought (which is valuable) will at least lead to discussion to helping them get an answer or area for them to try. Just saying we can't help stunts conversation and it would be better off to just leave no response. 

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

I guess I should have been more specific. I’m aware none of you are going to be able to give me the perfect answer. As I said, I am a tinkerer. I don’t mind buying a shaft and trying for a while before. My question was more towards what have other higher speed players had success with that can hold up but not feel like rebar. I provided generalities of my preferences for some sort of reference because feel is subjective. For those that have given some constructive responses, thank you. For the rest, until they preface forum rules with “include a disclaimer that you know you should go get fit when asking for any advice” clause, your comments are not much more than a waste of time or energy.

A forum is a place for discussion. Not a catch all response group of “go get fit”. 

hope everyone has a good holiday, best regards. 

D=Stealth 2 - Accra TZ RPG Tour M4+ 462 (D7)
FW = Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Triple Diamond - Tensei AV White 75 Tour X(D5)
Ping iCrossover 3 iron - Hzrdus Red RDX 6.5(D5)
4-5 =Titleist T100 - Modus 120X - 2 Deg. Flat (D6)
6-P =Titleist 620CB - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat, 1 Deg. Strong (D6)
50/54 =Callaway Jaws Raw - Modus 120X 2 Deg. Flat (D6, D7)
58= Callaway Jaws Raw Full Toe - Modus 120x - 2 Deg. Flat (D7)
Putter - Taylormade Spider Ghost (2024) 
Ball - Titleist ProV1X Left Dash
Bag - Vessel Players 3 Carbon Navy

36 minutes ago, jbsap said:

I guess I should have been more specific. I’m aware none of you are going to be able to give me the perfect answer. As I said, I am a tinkerer. I don’t mind buying a shaft and trying for a while before. My question was more towards what have other higher speed players had success with that can hold up but not feel like rebar. I provided generalities of my preferences for some sort of reference because feel is subjective. For those that have given some constructive responses, thank you. For the rest, until they preface forum rules with “include a disclaimer that you know you should go get fit when asking for any advice” clause, your comments are not much more than a waste of time or energy.

A forum is a place for discussion. Not a catch all response group of “go get fit”. 

well said.   The obvious answer (and it is a bit tiring because everyone get's it---"get fit"---- sometimes it is nice to have open dialogue.

• Driver- image.png.e24a2409101bd1ac07c78edcf8303773.png G430 Max 10K -9* -Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6-X 
  • Fairway - -:titleist-small: TSr2 15*  3 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • Fairway - image.png.48336341476630da4be4ad7cac012b8a.png- TSr2 18*  5 Wood Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0 Gen 4
  • UDI- :ping-small:- iCrossover Utility Driving 3 iron Project X HZRDUS Red 6.0 sometimes  :Sub70: -699 Pro 4 -22* Driving Iron UST Proforce V2 Stiff
  • Irons- :srixon-small:- ZX4 MK II 5-7, Srixon ZX5 8-P Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 105 X-Stiff
  • Wedges-  :cleveland-small:- RTX Zip Core 50*, 54* Nippon Modus 3 Wedge, 58* True Temper Dynamic Gold S400
  • Putter- :EVNROLL: - ER5v Short Slant
  • Ball-  Bridgestone Tour B X
  • Bag- :ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

I dont use a driving iron but i prefer an x flex in my driver and have been happy with several flavors of Accra M5 flex shafts over the years.  The most recent is a Tour Z that needs a Ping tip on it for next spring. 

I also like to tinker and experiment a little and have been known to make an impulse buy of a shaft without (GASP) getting fit for it beforehand.

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex;  Snake Eyes 18* 2h, 23* 4h & 27* 5h; :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 6 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

5 hours ago, jbsap said:

This should be bookmarked as reference for future discussion.

Well articulated.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/