Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Fitting question

ILMgolfnut

That maybe some of the Spies can clear up.

When I got fitted two years ago, I expected him to put me on hybrids instead of long irons. No long irons all right (5i is my longest iron), but he said my swing was not suited to hybrids and he put me on a 7-wood instead, with the same loft as a 4-iron.

I didn't get clarification from him then (he no longer works there) and I'm wondering what it might have been that made me unsuited to hybrids. Any ideas?

Obsessed with chasing the dimpled orb.

More about me:  WITB type stuff

Fit For Golf tester 2024

18 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

When I got fitted two years ago, I expected him to put me on hybrids instead of long irons. No long irons all right (5i is my longest iron), but he said my swing was not suited to hybrids and he put me on a 7-wood instead, with the same loft as a 4-iron.

I didn't get clarification from him then (he no longer works there) and I'm wondering what it might have been that made me unsuited to hybrids. Any ideas?

Likely more that you have a sweeping type swing? Less divots which can help with woods.

That or the added height and ball speed from the fairway gapped better for you.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

the added height and ball speed from the fairway gapped better for you.

That's probably it then. I would not describe my swing, then or now, as sweeping.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Fit For Golf tester 2024

2 hours ago, ILMgolfnut said:

wow, a mystery, that is fun... was your index about the same 2 years ago? 

committed to performance excellence

2 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Likely more that you have a sweeping type swing? Less divots which can help with woods.

I'd agree here,  it comes down to club delivery.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

11 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

was your index about the same 2 years ago? 

I didn't have an index 2 years ago. After I decided to take up golf again following a 25 year absence, I also decided I needed to take advantage of the technology advancements during that time. Thus I went for the fitting, then actually started practicing/playing and re-established my index. This summer my HI was about the same as it was 30 years ago, the last time I was playing regularly. So the swing I was showing him during the fitting was pure muscle memory from the mid-90s.

Fit For Golf tester 2024

12 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

I didn't have an index 2 years ago. After I decided to take up golf again following a 25 year absence, I also decided I needed to take advantage of the technology advancements during that time. Thus I went for the fitting, then actually started practicing/playing and re-established my index. This summer my HI was about the same as it was 30 years ago, the last time I was playing regularly. So the swing I was showing him during the fitting was pure muscle memory from the mid-90s.

Interesting, the plot thickens lol... I think @GolfSpy_APH and @cnosil are correct, I believe you stumbled upon a good fitter that probably recognized you bottom out your club at a certain spot. Just so you know some of the best golfers in the world in the late 80's throughs the 90's swept the ball, Greg Norman, Tom Watson etc. 7 woods, 9 woods, 5 woods are showing up at the highest amateur level even today, so you are going in the right direction. 

committed to performance excellence

On 1/17/2024 at 3:13 PM, ILMgolfnut said:

A number of factors come into play. First they will look at your gapping to ensure there are no large gaps between your clubs. Next are your swing mechanics, ball speed, angle of attack (are you steep or shallow), path, height, spin etc. They will also ask you how low an iron you are comfortable hitting. E.g 5, 6 iron? They will also take into account of how you tend to use those clubs.  Then there’s the old fashioned eye ball test, as some players hit higher lofted woods much better than hybrids or vice versa versus a 3, 4 or 5 iron.  I.e  consistent distance with adequate height and spin to ensure proper gapping between your clubs. Hope that helps.

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Cfhandyman said:

A number of factors come into play. First they will look at your gapping to ensure there are no large gaps between your clubs. Next are your swing mechanics, ball speed, angle of attack (are you steep or shallow), path, height, spin etc. They will also ask you how low an iron you are comfortable hitting. E.g 5, 6 iron? They will also take into account of how you tend to use those clubs.  Then there’s the old fashioned eye ball test, as some players hit higher lofted woods much better than hybrids or vice versa versus a 3, 4 or 5 iron.  I.e  consistent distance with adequate height and spin to ensure proper gapping between your clubs. Hope that helps.

Interesting. I don't recall any questions about how I hit the long irons, but he knew I was just getting back into golf after 20 years away, so I wasn't hitting anything very well then. My old set (Slotlines, if you're old enough to remember them) had 3 and 4 irons, and I don't remember hitting them often or well way back when. I would guess that my angle of attack was (and probably still is) pretty steep; that's something I'm working on now with my driver.

One quirk: He recommended Stealth 3- and 7-woods. But I bought clubs as I could afford them, the 7w was the last one on my list, and by the time I got around to buying that, TaylorMade and all the online shops were out of that year's Stealth 7-woods and the new models weren't out yet. So I took the specs he gave me, called PXG and got an 0211 with those specs, and right now I like it way better than the Stealth 3w.

Edited by ILMgolfnut

Fit For Golf tester 2024

54 minutes ago, ILMgolfnut said:

Interesting. I don't recall any questions about how I hit the long irons, but he knew I was just getting back into golf after 20 years away, so I wasn't hitting anything very well then. My old set (Slotlines, if you're old enough to remember them) had 3 and 4 irons, and I don't remember hitting them often or well way back when. I would guess that my angle of attack was (and probably still is) pretty steep; that's something I'm working on now with my driver.

One quirk: He recommended Stealth 3- and 7-woods. But I bought clubs as I could afford them, the 7w was the last one on my list, and by the time I got around to buying that, TaylorMade and all the online shops were out of that year's Stealth 7-woods and the new models weren't out yet. So I took the specs he gave me, called PXG and got an 0211 with those specs, and right now I like it way better than the Stealth 3w.

PXG are sneaky good. In the end, it’s about finding the combination that works best for you and your game and have fun in the process. 

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2 plus, LA golf DJ shaft, 55S

3 wood - TM Stealth plus, Mitsubishi Kai’li. Blue, 5 wood - TM Stealth plus,  Hzrdus red, 3 hybrid Mizuno CLK, Fuji pro

Irons (5-PW) - Mizuno 921 HMP, Accra IS 80

Wedges, Vokey SM9 48*10F, 54* 12D, 58* 8M, DG S400

Putter: Evnroll tour, stability shaft, Evnroll gravity grip

Bag: Vessel Cobra tour stand bag

Balls: Titleist ProV1x, Callaway Chrome soft X LS, Bridgestone Tour B XS or Srixon Z star Diamond

Tech: Arccos, Bushnell Pro XE rangefinder image.jpeg.6421bf4c3e32ba5a27f4fe57d0571222.jpeg

On 1/17/2024 at 3:13 PM, ILMgolfnut said:

Definitely club delivery. Fairway woods have more mass which make them easier to elevate over a hybrid.

But without seeing the swing at the time and launch monitor numbers it would be speculation as to what in the swing was happening to recommend that route. But generally it’s to get the ball in the air easier

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

typically,,,,, if a golfer tends towards hitting irons well, has a steep attack angle or demonstrates they dont like woods is a candidate for hybrids.

the opposite is true for fairway woods. 

A 7 wood, is the bridge between to the two sets of clubs. it is shorter and more upright design as compared to a 3w.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.