Testers Wanted: Sub 70 Pro V2 Fairway Woods ×

What tee box are you playing from?

Arccos smart distance for my driver lately is 207. I typically try to play about 5500-5800 yards, whatever tees get me in that range. Longer than that and I'm hitting fairway woods and long hybrids into greens resulting in very few GIR's. Shorter makes for better pace of play and it's more fun when I play well.

It's not about how well you're playing, but who you're playing with.

I am a 75 YOA disabled military veteran and I play from the Golds (5088 yards) on my home course.  When at other courses I pick the tee box with a similar total yardage, regardless of the tee color.  The unwritten rule at my course was that you played from the “whites” until you were 70 YOA.  I can verify that you lose. Distance with age.  Because I sure did.  I was extremely happy to drop down a set of tees at age 70.  I had visions of much lower scores.  Actually my visions were dreams.  On occasion I’ll score in the 80’s but not very often.  The best part of dropping down a tee box was that now I have a much better chance of hitting the  green in regulation.  I am hoping that I’ll be around long enough to drop down to the most forward set of tees.

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

Posted (edited)

... Don't know how I missed this but interesting for sure. Basically I want to play a course that is as long as possible that I can comfortably play. Ideally I get to use all the clubs in my bag, have some opportunities to reach par 5's in 2 but still challenged by some long par 4's and 3's. That usually means combo tees. At 71 I like to play courses around 6200 - 6400. 

... My home course has four par 4's at 409, 439, 412 and 426 and all of them are uphill off the tee. Another at 430 has a downslope about 250 from the tee and it can add 40-50 yds. If I move up one tee box they play 387, 403, 383, and 403 and I can get above the upslope to the flat. Much more enjoyable. Then I play the par 3's from the tips at 201, 190, 149 and 197 to balance out moving up on the long par 4's. 

... Par 5's are where I get to feel a little like Rory:

492 and downhill leaving me a hybrid or long iron approach.
444 and a deep long bunker guards the dogleg left. I can fly the bunker with a good drive and have anything from a long to short iron to the green depending on the wind. 
466 and another downslope about 225 that can produce another 40 yds of roll so 200-185 left to the green. Water guards the front left side and a pin left of center over a 6 foot tier is ignored.
490 and I don't reach this one in two often but when I do it is very rewarding.  

.... You can always choose your own tees and tailor the scorecard/course to your ability and make it as tough or easy as you like to play. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Enjoy your distance while you’ve got.  I’m curious about your 0.2 handicap.  Do you post scores from your “tailor the scorecard/course”?

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

35 minutes ago, WillRowland said:

Enjoy your distance while you’ve got.  I’m curious about your 0.2 handicap.  Do you post scores from your “tailor the scorecard/course”?

... No I don't post scores from my combo tees in winter, but my summer course has a combo tee rating. I pretty much fluctuate between a +0.5  and a 1.0 but don't compete anymore. I work out to keep my distance but I know it will just keep slipping away so yea, I am enjoying it while I can. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :cobra-small:    Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r
                  :cobra-small:    King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

Posted (edited)

For the last 3 or 4 years, I had been playing from the gold (senior) tees at about 5,800 to 6,000 yards. However, since my winter golf tour requires all golfers, regardless of age or handicap, to play from the white tees (generally 6,250 to 6,550 yards), and the club that I belong to has me play from a blended set of tees in all competitions (about 6,250 yards), I have moved back to the white tees. It really hasn’t hurt my scores or caused my handicap to go up.

In Scotland last week, I played my first two rounds from the green (senior) tees, but found the courses to play too short and went back to the blue tees, or played a combination of tees that resulted in course lengths of 6,300 to 6,500 yards. This only negatively affected me at Carnoustie.  My driving average over the six rounds that I played was 255 yards, and I averaged just short of 230 yards with my 4-wood.  At these distances, 6,500 yard courses are not too long for me, but I did have to use a 3-hybrid or my 4-wood on the longer par-3 holes (218 to 232 yards).

By the way, from the blue (and the white) tees, Carnoustie plays to a par of 70. It has four par-4 holes between 440-460 yards from the blues (415-425 yards from the white tees).

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, PX Denali Black 6.0

4W - Titleist TSR2, Miyazaki Kusala Mizu 7S

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Cobra Forged Tec X, KBS TGI S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll 10 (Outback)

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Vessel stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

With every course having a different way of labeling their tee's, I tend to play whatever tee is somewhere between 6100-6500. I have really enjoyed how some courses in my area have started including a 'hybrid' tee. This tee will mesh two tees to fill a gap if say the blue tees are 6800 and the whites are 6000. This hybrid tee will then play somewhere around 6400. Scorecard will then instruct you on which tee to play from depending on the hole.

Driver: Callaway Paradym *** (10.5), Kai'li White 60 X Stiff

3W: Cobra LTDx LS (16.5), Tensei 75 X Stiff

3i-PW: Ping i500, DG x100

50, 55, 60: Cleveland RTX4, DG s400

Putter: Boccieri Heavy Putter A3-M

If I’m a single I will play further back not only to help keep pace but to test where I’m at. 

Social rounds are often the traditional “white / middle” tees. Again, for pace but also I like to have better opportunities to score as well as help my friends who aren’t as great golfers but love to play, enjoy it more. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Whatever tees are around 6100-6250, give or take, if I want to give myself a real test of where I am right now with the game and getting to hit more clubs through the bag. Normally though, it's whatever makes my playing partners feel comfortable.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

Between 6400 and 6600 is my comfort zone.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

I’ll play from pretty much any tee.  League plays either White or White/Green combo, somewhere around 5800 yards (which is a little shorter than I would like).  Similar to @bens197, I’ll play back when I’m by myself to hit some different shots.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I'm late to this thread, but have some input.

As many of you know, I am a Club Pro at an 18 hole facility in Oregon. I am 54 years old, so most of my competitive golf is in the Senior division in Chapter and Section events. These yardages range from 6000 to 6600 depending on the event.  I don't typically struggle from those yardages, but I will have more long irons into greens than I might like.  When I play with my membership, we peg it from 5700-6200. The funny thing is, I fight the shorter tees at my club.  The landing areas from the 5700 yard tees are very narrow and require a precise tee shot. When I move back, I can spray it around a bit and still have a playable iron shot into a green. I looked at my scoring average from each set of tees out here over the past 3 years, and I am consistently 4 shots better from the "Black" tees vs the "White" tees. An anomaly to be sure, but true none the less.

When I travel and play other spots for recreation, I will play whatever tees the group is on.  If alone, I will typically play the 1ups.  

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

9 minutes ago, MmmmmmBuddy said:

When I move back, I can spray it around a bit and still have a playable iron shot into a green. I looked at my scoring average from each set of tees out here over the past 3 years, and I am consistently 4 shots better from the "Black" tees vs the "White" tees. An anomaly to be sure, but true none the less.

I disagree on the anomaly statement. 

One of my favorites to play is a paradox similar to what you describe. When I play from the Black tees (one forward from burgundy) I am shooting mid to low 70’s. 

When I play blues at 6200 I fight the landing areas similar to you and struggle to break 76. 

Michael Jordan designed Grove XXIII so landing zones would fit his distances. This is a real thing. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have had similar experiences to both of you @bens197 and @MmmmmmBuddy…rounds that I’ve played back I’ve shot the same or better each time.  

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

Is this dependent on having a particular drivers distance minimum? Obviously skill has alot to contribute to this as well.

If we are talking yardage, I pretty much play from 5800-6100, which is depending on which course I play. 

At the GC I work at the whites fall right in at 6000, but white tees are 1 back from the front tees, and base there guide off of handicap. The orange tees fall into the 6400-6600 range and are the middle tees. 

The other course I play occasionally,  tee boxes are designated by driver distance,  and the whites are the middle tees. It comes in as 6200 avg.

This is also something when I started golfing I was unaware of how to use- the yardage guides on the scorecard ! (as well as the hole rankings) I was taught under the old stigma that whites were the men's tees!

Now, since joining MGS, I feel I have grown leaps over compared to what I was, due to the knowledge I have gained here!!!

Due to my distance off the tee, I try to stay in the 6000 range +/- 100 yards

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I am 68 now and have played lots of golf with lots of players.  I play between 5800-6200.

I have advised many people I have played with over the years to play from the tees you can break 80 from.  Start at the front tees and play them until you can regularly break 80 then move back to the next tee and do it like that until you find the tees you need to be on.   I have played to as low as a plus 2.8 for a season on the back men's tee, 7022 yards, and when I switched to the tips 7428 yards from our course I struggled.  There were a few par 4's I needed to hit fairway woods to reach the greens and I could not hold them so after a few months I moved back to my tees.

I advocate for this because playing forward builds skill with wedges and irons.  It builds confidence in your game and gives great growth options.  It helps you to hit the clubs in balance not trying to overhit.  Give yourself a chance to enjoy the game.

I was a decent player shooting in the 80's  when I was in my early 40's and I played the back men's tees.  I went on a trip and got paired with a father and his two sons and they were going to play the front tees.  (@ the time I always played the tee with a the group)  I played the front tees and broke 80 with ease.  It felt great.  I played all that week from the front tees with the family and always broke 80 even shooting par the last round.  When I went home I moved up to the front men's tees and played there until I regularly broke 80.  Confidence is a powerful tool in golf.  I kept improving.  I moved back to the back tees where I shot in the 80's, by the end of the season and continued to improve and break 80.   

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Evnroll ER2 head with a custom shaft set up from Positive Putters that gives a toe up balance

Ball: Calaway Chome Tour with triple track                     

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

I do think this article is a little ridiculous, but there are some good points. I think it also ties in with the approach to golf that, "if you can't go low from the forward tees, why are you playing the blues.", and the USGA push to tee it forward. With that being said, we're not Rory, we're never gonna be Rory, stop comparing average golfers to Rory. 

To answer the question on what tees I play. I go with the next set back that doesn't lower my handicap. I'm currently 5.9, and I've looked up the course I am playing Sunday. The middle tees I'm a 5, the back tees I'm a 7, so I'll be on the tips.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

On my home courses to pass the PGAP test you have to shoot an 80 from the white Ts twice in a day or something like that so that's where I play from just to measure my ability to pass that if I ever wanted to pursue it.

Justin Garner

I'd like to hear the ladies chime in. Our local course plays about 5500 yards from their tees with only 4-5 holes having a significant adavantage over  whites. Most forward tees tend to be in the 5100 range on other courses. that is about 400 yards difference. @TriciaPug who is a second year golfer really feels that. IMHO a course that is too long can be more demoralizing for a newer golfer, one who needs to have success on a feel good holes where they can be putting for birdie from time to time verses trying to save par or bogey. 

Click * Point * Chute

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Philpug said:

I'd like to hear the ladies chime in. Our local course plays about 5500 yards from their tees with only 4-5 holes having a significant adavantage over  whites. Most forward tees tend to be in the 5100 range on other courses. that is about 400 yards difference. @TriciaPug who is a second year golfer really feels that. IMHO a course that is too long can be more demoralizing for a newer golfer, one who needs to have success on a feel good holes where they can be putting for birdie from time to time verses trying to save par or bogey. 

Yeah, that's me. I never really thought about it. I just went out and played. I always hit from the women's tees (Red)

Last week I had my best round of golf thus far at a different course when @Philpug mentioned that the course that we usually play, plays far longer which can add more than a few strokes to my rounds. Now I'm thinking that, if I can break 100 on my usual course, I'll be golden on courses that have a bigger advantage for women. 

This is the scorecard for the place we usually play

scorcardnew.jpg.2cfcd3ce5083d9e075d51947e85252fc.jpg

This is the card where I had my best round which is almost 1100 yds shorter. 

I birdied the first hole on a course I'd never played before which set me up for success.

Screenshot2024-06-06at9_54_03AM.png.58422ca3604dd5792a1aa8dba864d386.png

Edited by TriciaPug

I'm a skier, ski bootfitter, ski reviewer and forum owner for SkiTalk.com

WITB: Cobra

Driver Aerojet Max set at 13.5

AirX  3W, 5W, 7W, 4H, 5H, 7H,

Irons, 7, 8, 9, PW, GW, SW

King Cobra 3D Printed Putter with modified shaft

My target yardage is usually around 6400 yards, but I don't mind playing whatever the group (or randoms) I'm golfing with want to play - I've learned to taper my expectations based on where I'm playing from.

Interestingly, I played 9 holes last week for the first time from the front tees at a local course. It was a very different experience than what I'm used to (sand wedge on both par 3s, drove the green on a par 4), but it was fun! One thing that I noted though is that on holes where the tees were significantly forward, they were all placed off to the side, and in a few cases that meant that trees were blocking you out from hitting the center of the fairway. One one par 4 hole I actually had to hit a 7-iron off the tee, because the only way I could hit it any further and still have a look at the green was to hit a draw (which isn't a shot shape I have in the bag).

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed XB at 7.5°, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
3 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:Radspeed, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Utility - :mizuno-small: Pro 225 3i, Mitsubishi MMT 105S

Irons - :mizuno-small:Pro 225 4-5, 223 6-PW, KBS $-Taper 120
Wedges - :cobra-small:King Cobra Snakebite 52° & 58°, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 S
Putter - :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Black Ten 35"
Ball - :callaway-small: Chrome Tour